Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Xoidanor posted:

Nah, the characters are remarkably similar so far. Right down to the vivid hallucinations of acting out and living like a normal person.

EDIT: Hell, both shows even start with the protagonist being established as a good guy by doing horrible things to someone who has caused harm to children.
Don't forget that both of them have a personal collection of trophies per victim. Dexter with bloodstains, Elliot with CDs of hacked data labeled as music. As someone who was a big Dexter fan and watched it all the way through the awful seasons to the end, the parallels between that show and this one are of a high magnitude but, yes, so far Mr. Robot's hitting all the highs with none of the lows. I mean the latest episode even has the classic "I could get used to this normal life" arc that Dexter hit like 4-6 times across its whole series. It's just too much (and I love it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

The thing is that the first season of Dexter was actually good, it's worrying that Mr. Robot is hitting so many of the same beats because Dexter had no longevity.
There are a lot of things that made Dexter bad which are all things that are easily avoidable. Don't forget that even when Doakes was gone and Season 3 sucked, we still got an amazing Season 4.
That said, the only gripe I really have about the show is yet-another-Dexter parallel. In episode 3 he focuses on "bugs" which he describes at the start and then talks about through the whole episode to the point where you forget why he's even talking about them so all his metaphorical speak becomes pointless and easily disregarded. Obvious per-episode focused monologues like that are not exclusive to Dexter but boy oh boy do they get annoying really fast and they got annoying super fast in Dexter.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

MY IMMERSION

Lemme just cut this off at the pass and state that this is the same as using a 555 phone number and a 321 Fake Street to prevent real people from getting harassed because of a TV show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

This episode was a complete waste of time. No cinematography in the world is going to save 40 minutes of uneventful and confusing nonsense with breadcrumbs of plot at the beginning and the end. I have no earthly clue what the rest of you in this thread found compelling about this.
The fact of the matter is that the episode felt like crap because the plot took a backseat to character development in the form of an extended dream sequence that lasted 3 times longer than it needed to. Having Hackers on the TV was the best, having the guys punch you in the nose with the jokes about how hacking is so fake in the media was the worst.

Trabant posted:

During the "Here's the plan" conversation with everyone, I became convinced that the members of fsociety were just fragments of his personality. Buuut, that doesn't really hold up given Darlene's actual physical existence. Or maybe she's the only other real one?
I was thinking the exact same thing but Darlene's excursion really killed that. The more they make it obvious that Mr. Robot isn't real, the more I want him to actually be real because it's so stupid having the show go Fight Club mode when the actual point of Tyler Durden's plot was exactly the same as Mr. Robot's: blow up the credit bureaus.

Also the daemon stuff was this episode's "thing the narrative focuses on" and gently caress I really hope they don't overdo that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 17, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey, so, just so we're all clear... Was the pilot created without the rest of the series already written? Here's why I ask this:

Once upon a time there was a very fantastic pilot for a semi-fantastic series called "Dead Like Me." In the pilot episode, certain rules were set up, inferences to specific information made, and a world built on a few simple ideas. Unfortunately, after the pilot was created and the series greenlit, someone else came in as the primary writing staff and actually blurred the lines on a few hard rules, messed with specific information, and kinda made the whole idea of what was going on behind the scenes of the built world into something that was more of a shrug than a fact. The show died after 2 seasons and I'm actually convinced it's because they did so little to reveal, twist, and cliff-hang more of the interesting ideas of what happens in the afterlife. In other words, the meta-plot barely moved and it couldn't without the rules of the pilot.

Why am I talking about some other show? In the same stroke as I think Dead Like Me died because of a twist on the original intent of the writing, I'm uncertain if the same fate may be bestowed upon Mr. Robot. What I'm primarily focusing on here is the very first thing we're told. "What I'm about to tell you is top secret... There's a powerful group of people out there that are secretly running the world... The top 1% of the top 1%." as it shows us Evilcorp Bateman with his 11 lawyers. It's unreliable narration, sure, but we're immediately led into believing that the 12 people we're seeing are the group of powerful people running the world. As we get the final scene of the pilot, we believe Elliot is about to meet these people. If this pilot was its own production before the show was greenlit, then it isn't until said greenlighting that the second episode is written as a twist; these aren't the most powerful people and their "leader," Bateman, isn't even very powerful himself (as we come to discover in episode 3.)

To be honest, this was in itself a let down. I wanted them to be the group of shadow leaders; like The Cabal from The Blacklist but made apparent early on. Did anyone else actually think or hope that they would be? Was anyone else let down that they weren't?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sober posted:

I don't know the specifics of DLM, but didn't Fuller leave after the first season? In effect, you had what I assume was a pretty mythology-laden show but was then run by someone who didn't create it and presumably didn't know what to do with it but had to run with it anyway.
The only reason I know what I said about DLM is because the DVD of the show's pilot episode has commentary specifically stating that one person had a vision in the pilot and that person didn't work on the show past the pilot and that was why certain "rules" that were set up got broken later on. Whoever was commentating was basically lamenting this situation as a bad thing, thus the correlation I'm making.

That said, the other chatter about Esmail knowing where the show is going and having an ending drawn up for ~5 seasons down the line is a great thing considering how well that worked for Breaking Bad and, to a lesser extent (primarily because I don't know how far ahead of time they planned it,) The Shield. Watching the "Conversation with Mr. Robot" video seems to indicate that the pilot was shot with a different crew as a separate piece but the folks they brought in for the season are doing a fine job of producing as closely to the pilot as they can. Primarily I'm referring to the director.

So yeah, I'm not doom and gloom about the show, I'm still looking forward to all of it. Just drop the weird per-episode narrative focuses and move the A-plot along a bit faster (or make the B-plot a bit more important to the A-plot) and it'll be difficult to fail.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 19, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So this episode was loving amazing. Did anyone catch just how many parallels to Breaking Bad were presented? It's like every scene was some climax from a Breaking Bad episode. You've got Elliot being targeted by a criminal element, sneaking into the enemy's facility to plant something, straight up telling a person they're worthless, someone calling up someone else to tell them a lie so major that it distracts them from their day-to-day, a bad rear end "I framed you, deal with it" moment, drug-life character turns clean then gets into deep poo poo almost immediately, protag pretending to be friendly with the enemy then having a nervous breakdown mid-mission... gently caress I'm still typing this and I haven't even gotten to the "person breaks bad due to cancer bills" part! Someone says something blatantly offensive during dinner, a major plan gets blown to poo poo.... gently caress okay, I'm done. Seriously, this is the Breaking Bad episode and I loved it. It pretty much makes up for the "3x longer than it needed to be" dream sequence and then some.

Speaking of that dream sequence, I think the only reason nobody here is analyzing it is because it's one of those classic "if you try to interpret this, only 10% of you will be correct because most of it is either misleading, pointless, or will only end up mattering in future episodes anyway" types of scenes that, let's face it, we're sick of. All the foreshadowing from Arrested Development and most of it from Breaking Bad was only really enjoyable when you got it presented to you in a Buzzfeed listicle; trying to figure it out live is a pain.

As for Mr. Durden, there's one big fat reason why I want to say he's a real person. In that interview video, Slater seems to really enjoy the work he's doing and a lot of fans are watching the show because of him, apparently. It wouldn't make much sense to get rid of such a popular character (gently caress, the show's named after him so he's obviously in for the long haul) while also holding out for the Durden reveal until a point past season 1. So really, the only way Slater can stick around is if Elliot acknowledges the Durden and then treats it as an acceptable thing but then we have to watch him do his stupid poo poo in the future and still feel OK about Elliot as a main character? Nah, that works as well as having the Durdening stay a secret for longer than a season: it doesn't at all.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 23, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wax Lion posted:

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds? I trust the show a lot, but I have trouble imagining how anyone can pull off what they're trying here. I've read Dexter tried a Tyler Durden character and it was hated. Can television actually support that sort of structure?

I think the best possible scenario is that they reveal Mr. Robot isn't real at the end of this season, Christian Slater (as much as I like him) is no longer in the cast in season two, and the show is drastically different to account for that change. A worse and unfortunately more likely scenario is they reveal Mr. Robot isn't real at the end of this season and he turns into the invisible-to-everyone-else advisor cliche that television has so overused. And the nightmare is that we find out Mr. Robot is imaginary in season five. They can't pull off no one acknowledging him that long, they just can't.

Or the show really is a lot smarter than me and there's a solution that will surprise and satisfy everyone. I certainly hope so!
This basically mirrors what I posted early; I have difficulty being OK with Mr. Robot being Tyler Durden because I cannot think of a way for them to do it in a satisfactory manner. If they can pull that off, more power to them. Otherwise, I think we're all finding so many parallels to other forms of media that we're latching onto the Durden issue too tightly to the point where we're basically convincing ourselves and using every small detail as a means of support. Why do the 2 guys ignore Mr. Robot? Probably because they're sick of getting into conversations with him. Have you SEEN the poo poo he does when someone gets into a conversation with him? He loving pushes you off piers and breaks your computers. The 2 guys learned to ignore him while Darlene is impudent enough to not give a poo poo. gently caress, she even tells Elliot that Mr. Robot wants to talk to him, doesn't she? Or doesn't she say that Mr. Robot told her that Elliot needed to talk to her? All that poo poo doesn't fly with a Durden'd Mr. Robot.

So yeah, this is this thread's version of "analyzing the dream sequence." We're really just re-analyzing if Mr. Robot is real. Also making fun of the guy who said he loves the show but might drop it next episode.

Also, yes, Dexter's version of it was that his opponent in one season, Tom Hanks's son, had his own ghost dad to parallel Dexter's ghost dad. It was obvious and everyone caught it early on so when it was revealed, most folks just rolled their eyes. That wasn't the biggest reason to hate the show at the time, though. By that season's airing, enough had transpired in the previous season to help plenty of folks realize that Season 4 was a fluke and we probably weren't getting anything good again from the show.

DivisionPost posted:

if this was just about shock, I promise, absolutely none of this poo poo would be in play.
Which is exactly why I'm giving this show the benefit of the doubt. That and I am very much enjoying the show right now!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cactus posted:

How did Mr. Robot know Elliot was just about to apologise to that guy?
Because it's funny.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

The soundtrack isn't original, though, is it? In the last episode at there end, the music played had to have been from an 80's movie. I think it was risky business or something else.

Yep, just confirmed it, from the risky business soundtrack

My awesome skills proven:
Tangerine dream - risky business soundtrack "love on a real train" (movie version)
It seems the soundtrack is half original, half unoriginal. I'm super digging all the original compositions so far and though you can hear some of it on YouTube, I hope there's an official release at season end.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gooble Rampling posted:

The show is really quite excellent. I love that they are sticking with the same cinematic style and color timing between episodes. They really use the full space of the 16:9 frame, which modern TV shows still shy away from sometimes. For example, there is a deliberately disconcerting layout for many character conversation edits. It still follows the 180 degree rule, but places the actors' faces at non-traditional locations in the frame. At first it bugged me, appearing as if someone had bumped the camera right before rolling, but now I really dig it.
Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grāce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 31, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Mr. Robot IS real but sometimes the one Elliot talks to isn't.
This.
This makes the most sense. I like this one the most. Let's go with this.
That said, I actually wanted to come in here the next time someone talked about Durden to say "You know what, it's hard to even care anymore because either they'll tell us he is fake and we'll roll our eyes and go "I knew it!" or they'll tell us he's real and we'll go "Huh, I guess I was wrong!" and we'll stop caring because the rest of the show is too good to care."
But the idea that he's sometimes real and sometimes fake is a good middle ground that I'll stick with.

Accretionist posted:

Haha, I didn't notice any of that. I felt it, but it didn't really register. That's great.
Maybe you didn't notice it...but your brain did...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

When I went out to lunch today I saw a girl who was a dead ringer for Tyrell. It was kinda spooky but made me realize just how femme Tyrell is.

Xoidanor posted:

I don't agree about the other stuff but this is definatily becoming a thing in TV in general. It was jarring in Empire and it is even more so here where it has become half of Tyrells character for the season.

House of Cards is ruining everything.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that power couples in TV are a bad thing? I haven't watched Empire but the power couple of House of Cards was something that actually attracted me to the show due to the fact that almost every other show in existence has trouble keeping power couples together and I came to hate Season 3 for doing what only seemed cliche, tearing them apart.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 5, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Inspector Goon posted:

Elliot's pocket sand is usb keys strewn hastily in a parking lot. Just as loving ridiculous, no matter how "effective" it would be in real life.
When I watched that scene unfold the first thing I thought was "haha yeah right" but then I thought about it for about 5 more seconds and realized, oh yeah, people are really loving stupid so of course this would work. Just as much as the music cd trick would work. In fact, I fell for that trick when I was younger. The only difference was the disc was blank and I paid 20 bucks for it. Fool me once...

For the record, it was supposed to be a movie of a rather entertaining street fire/music performance that I was really enjoying and wanted to watch more of. The disappointment of not witnessing more of their act outweighed the disappointment of losing 20 bucks for a blank DVD.

Edit: Also, the great thing that came of that scenario is the point that even these ultra-elite hackers aren't infallible with their skills. Her code still got found by the malware checker. That's a real nice touch to a show that seems to focus on how powerful hackers can be.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 5, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Power couples work when both of the partners are in the focus of the show. It feels kinda ham-handed in Mr. Robot (and Empire as I mentioned earlier), primarily because the wifes are not main characters, they're side characters. Addiotionally, it doesn't help that these plotlines haven't been given the necessary time to develop since they're competing for time with the main cast and the main plotline. Don't get me wrong, power couples can be done really well as we've seen both in the first season of HoC (and earlier shows like Spartacus) but now it seems like every ambitious drama show wants to force in that conniving power couple which use sex as a tool of manipulation, just because people really liked it in HoC. They're not actually considering if it has the room it needs to develop within the story that they are trying to tell.
Makes sense! I wonder if the Mr. Robot folks will notice this and try to flesh Mrs. Bateman out a bit more this/next season.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

apatheticman posted:

I don't know what it says about me when I was like don't leave her there throw her off the building!
Yeah.... you're not alone in that. I took another minute to think about it and it's better to make it seem like she went missing until someone finally finds the body because that'll make it harder to figure out when/how the murder happened instead of knowing (via the strangle marks) it was a murder at the same time she fell off the building. Then I took another minute and realized he needs to get her body found ASAP so he doesn't get fired by Scotty McDeadWife before keikaku completes.

And yeah, the music stopping. Brilliant cinematography as usual. The first scene had me dying inside as well. Gonna miss Shayla. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Dessel posted:

There was something wrong with this episode. Every scene was about two persons having a conversation, mostly about what I'd call uncomfortable truths. Even at the CTO nomination party. Also Mr. Robot appeared to someone else than Elliot and alone at that.

I can't shake the feeling that the structure of this episode is hinting at something larger... Something fundamentally disturbing? Perhaps about the things the characters perceive or we are led to believe they perceive.

I'm no film student but perhaps the reason this was done was precisely so you would feel what you're feeling. Because the structure is formulated to pure simplicity, it causes you to feel uncomfortable. It could also be the fact that the episode was 100% confrontations, something that plenty of humans shy away from and find uncomfortable. This show triggers emotions in you that others can't, that's something Breaking Bad did really well too. I don't think it's being done to hint at anything other than the fact that this episode was pure, distilled confrontations.

Trabant posted:

Hell, he wore latex gloves when beating the homeless guy in the pilot.
That was episode 3.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ashpanash posted:

It's not going to win any (major) awards, but that shouldn't matter. Awards these days are not about quality, they're about trading favors between hollywood insiders.

I just hope the show gets decent enough ratings so we can get more of it, but not so great that they do more seasons than the show can sustain.
If Sam Esmail actually sticks to his guns with the "I have a story that lasts 5-6 seasons" statement, it'll be fine.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

gently caress, sorry. Wrong thread.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 11, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yep, I got too many tabs. Sorry! That said, TheAngryDrunk can you please delete that quote so I don't spoil anyone in here who maybe wanted to watch that show later?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I know it's a contrivance to keep the plot on point for the viewer but... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Elliot left the room when this happened.

That said, I was actually getting a little bored with certain parts of this episode but Bateman and that end really perked me up. I wish this season wasn't allowed to end in 2 episodes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Waynebo posted:

Someone posted the whole album of pictures. I honestly have no idea what to think at this point.

http://imgur.com/a/IN6EH

I think there are scenes where it makes a lot of sense for it to be head Mr Robot (the loving STAIRCASE scene and showing up at Allsafe) and for it to be real Mr Robot (when he pulled a gun on Angelo).
Ugh. On the one hand, I can see Sam Esmail making sure that things like "at what angle the picture is being taken from to represent height" and "why there seem to be photos from long ago (NES w/Elliot kid) and why there seem to be recent photos (Mr. Robot with PS3 controller)" are all done on absolute purpose. On the other hand, why does there seem to be two sets of timelines in those photos? At this point I have to give the show the benefit of the doubt and say it's all on purpose.

For someone who doesn't like following Father's rules (No phone number sharing) Darlene does a great job of never calling Mr. Robot "Dad." After someone up-thread mentioned Elliot having a twin I suddenly got the idea that maybe Mr. Robot is the twin of Elliot's dad.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 13, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Don't forget he's not JUST replacing the words "mom" and "dad" when he's has multiple flashbacks to his mother treating him like poo poo. Forgetting your sister, sure. Forgetting your dad, sure. Dad being a ghost dad, sure. Thinking ECorp is actually EvilCorp, sure. But literally thinking the things that happened to your mom actually happened to your dad? Not getting the GENDER right? That's hosed up.

BTW unsure if anyone else here thought it but for a moment when Darlene was asking if Elliot knew who she was, I thought she was going to turn out to be Angela, so when it cut back and forth I kept expecting Angela's actress to be in the shot of her instead.

Waynebo posted:

They flashed Sam Esmail's face too so uhh

Edit: I went back and checked. At no point is Sam Esmail one of the faces that Elliot sees in the mirror. Just FYI. He sees Tyrell, Darlene, Angela, Mr. Robot, fsociety mask, and himself. So unless it's Sam Esmail in the mask, nope.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 14, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Goddammit they look so loving similar. Welp.

Pulp Can Move posted:

We mistook this Star Wars for Fight Club, but actually it's Shutter Island.
Are you sure it's not Memento?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 14, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Concerning Mr. Robot acting different from Darlene, here's what I'm gathering.
It's super important that this isn't the first time Elliot "forgot" his family.
His father, Mr. Robot, absolutely wants to gently caress over EvilCorp and wipe away debts, but is also absolutely loving crazy (mental illness runs in the show, after all) and knows that Elliot forgets his family.
He also knows that Elliot has animosity towards him for being shoved out the window. This is probably what gave rise to Elliot not wanting people touching him. As a child, Elliot was OK with touching and even tried to hug his father after he had found out that Elliot snitched about the cancer. If Elliot is autistic, it was somehow an autism that hit him LATER in life. Does that exist?
Elliot's dad apparently showed animosity towards his son "even the night he died." There's something in there. Most likely it was actually the first night he forgot who his family was.
So we somehow end up with a vengeful father who managed to find the weaknesses and strengths in his child and got him on track to be a master hacker. With no family to remember and just his one friend, Angela, he had very little holding him back from spending time perfecting his craft.

So I suggest you think of it like the second Matrix movie when it's revealed that there have been multiple Neos, all of which tried to do the same thing, all of which failed. Instead, we have separate states of Mr. Robot in Elliot's life. At one point, he taught Elliot all he knew about hacking but was eventually revealed to be Elliot's father. Upon discovering this, Elliot "failed" whatever he was supposed to do next with Mr. Robot and Mr. Robot had to flee the scene, likely due to the animosity Elliot should be holding against him for the out-the-window shove. Knowing Elliot might/will eventually forget him again, Mr. Robot stalks Elliot until he realizes that Elliot doesn't recognize him. Once this occurs, he once again swoops in acting like a separate entity and moving Elliot along the path of succeeding at the revenge plot.
All that said, he also wants to know more about Elliot's state of mind. He wants to know about why his son didn't keep the secret and wants to teach his son why it was wrong to betray his trust. When he finds out what Elliot was thinking about this and how he still hasn't changed despite previous encounters as previous Mr. Robots, he goes a little crazy and chucks him over the pier.

Okay, with all of that out of the way, I have ONE last theory. Mr. Robot is alive, is Elliot's dad, and actually KNOWS how to trigger Elliot into forgetting his family. Why? Ever notice how much Mr. Robot likes to use finality with Elliot? "You'll never see me again." or "We'll never have another chance." Maybe in Elliot's current memory that'd be true but once Mr. Robot triggers his memory wipe, they move on to the next task at hand.

Woooooo this show is fun to theory craft with!

Oh, right, I forgot about Darlene. I think Darlene just plain doesn't realize when Elliot does/doesn't remember her. Because Elliot acts so stand-offish, it's hard to tell if he's just being himself or if he literally doesn't remember who she is. He's still enough of a push-over that he'll just let her chill at his place despite barely knowing her but she just assumes he's being himself and being OK with his sister hanging around.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 15, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you remind me which episode this was mentioned?
The first half of what you bolded, that Elliot holds animosity towards his father, is actually a complete mystery that's a part of my theory. I can only assume Elliot holds some kind of animosity because it's most likely the "shoved out a window" thing that made him change into the "DO NOT TOUCH" person he is. I'd go so far as to bet that Elliot is the one who wouldn't talk to his father "even on the day he died."

But yes, the boardwalk scene is when he said that his father is the one who held animosity towards him.

I also missed a key part of my theory. I bet you that for season 2 or 3, Elliot loses the memory of his family again and when this happens, Mr. Robot once again uses it as an opportunity to start a new kind of hack.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 15, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

This show really deals in extremely evil antagonists though, both Vera and Tyrrell are so disgustingly bad it's almost cartoonish.
Nah man, they just wanna gently caress society too and are capable of doing it their way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Spergatory posted:

I thought it was original score, but I just found out the song used during :siren:THE REVEAL:siren: last week is called "Gone" by M83. It's pretty great.
The show has a bunch of original score combined with fantastic soundtrack selection.

QuantumNinja posted:

So I've watched all of the show currently out, and I can't tell if it's good or it's just a well-directed spanish soap opera. Can anyone help me try to figure that out?
I don't understand Spanish so I'm pretty sure it's just good.

That aside, the real question is, do you care about what happens in the show? Did you care about what would happen to Shayla? Did you feel an emotion when Tyrell was emasculated? Or when he killed a woman? Did you enjoy the massive twist reveal that technically never hid itself from you, it just never came up? If you answered no to all of this, then it is a bad show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 18, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Harminoff posted:

It was however the mandate ended on episode 5 or 6 and he went to see her on his own at the end of episode 7. He kind of scared her as he was there early in the morning however she had a session with him before her first client came in and told her everything he knew about her and how she was lonely and he was lonely as well and wanted a way out of loneliness.
By the way.. what happened with him and Krista? He says he hurt her and that she's a normal person who is afraid to peer over the fence to see the truth. Does that mean she didn't want to give him therapy and that's why he deleted her files, because he's not going to see her anymore? I assume this much since he deleted his file on her.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So basically Christian Slater isn't going to be around anymore.

That's too bad. :( And the primary reason why I was so against Ghost Dad theory. Still, though, amazing episode as always and excited for the next one. Cannot get enough of the amazing framing they continue to push. I really hope they keep the same folks behind the camera for S2.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Soooooo what's up with Darlene being all "Hey, I'm sorry and you're right; I should be more open about what I'm doing with Elliot" and Angela's all "D'AWWW OKAY I FORGIVE YOU" and that's it? Darlene doesn't even admit anything. Angela's just glad she wasn't caught by creepy dad? I dunno, seemed really off at the time.

CrushedWill posted:

The narration technique, reveal (I laughed in a good way with the Pixies cover) and all of the archetypes allow the completely ignorant to enjoy the show while allowing those with more media exposure to be amazed.
I told my mom to watch the show (she knows nothing about tech) because she enjoyed Dexter and Breaking Bad. Apparently she binge watched everything over 2 days and wrote me an e-mail letting me know she loves it even though she doesn't understand all the lingo. She apparently Googles things like ddos and root kits now. My mom the hacker...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Where exactly is the Pixies cover in episode 8? I rewatched the last scenes and it wasn't there.
Um.... episode 9. And it's a piano.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

drat, how did Angela get so cutthroat so fast? I get that she's infiltrating to take them down from within, but she's such a shark at her job that I'm wondering if she's going to end up embracing Big Brother in the end.
She's dehumanizing herself and facing to bloodshed.

Honestly I have no loving clue what they're doing with her character. The only hint the show gave that she's still vulnerable is that she was watching an affirmation video but even that is a bit too far into the realm of "a thing a robot corporate elite person would do." I felt like we needed a sliver of her scheming to take the company down so we're re-assured we know what her character is but there just wasn't any of it, so I'm just left confused what the point of her is now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RedneckwithGuns posted:

After tonight's episode I'm actually really surprised one of these conspiracy theorists in real life hasn't actually assaulted or killed someone they considered a "crisis actor" before. Do they just not seem to get that violent beyond harassment or what?
... wow, I actually did not know what a crisis actor was until I saw you put it in quotes and decided to google it. This is what I get for ignoring conspiracy theories.

I'd assume the reason it never gets that violent in real life is because actual conspiracy theorists still have just enough doubt in their brain that they aren't willing to take a life over it. That said, the people who are known more for being famous murders/assassins probably are the conspiracy theorists you're wondering about.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Jeep posted:

I too, am here to make sweeping criticisms about this season after the season premier. :downs:
I made sweeping "this show is loving amazing" criticisms when the pilot aired.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Can someone put a good thumb on exactly what movie or movies the first song reminded you of? It's like if John Williams, Danny Elfman, and Philip Glass had a three-way. There's a bit of Star Wars and Home Alone in there but I still feel like it very specifically sounds like 1 movie and I cannot freaking figure it out.

So, what's this episodes random hint that Elliot isn't actually where we think he is? Other than the fact that Darlene hates mom and has zero interaction with her when she goes to visit Elliot, making absolutely no reference specifically to where they are.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 28, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Fastidious Toes posted:

Does anyone have a screen cap of the crossword puzzle? It was on screen for a second, but knowing this show, there was some info in it.
Far as I can tell, nothing special.

While we're at it, FYI, the IRC server Elliot goes into doesn't exist. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 28, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DopeGhoti posted:

Stalemates, or draws? Draws are relatively common, but a stalemate is a special kind of draw in which no legal move can be made and is not a checkmate. They're really rare to encounter in noncontrived situations.
That's extreme specificity that anyone who isn't an actual chess enthusiast would know nothing about. At least in my entire life, when I've hit a draw with someone, we called it a stalemate. But it sure would explain why Elliot thinks it's so rare to get 3 in a row.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

blunt posted:

13 minute VR mini-episode-thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Jc1wHlhEU

If you have a phone headset/cardboard you can also watch it on the 'within' app, or theres a version for Rift/Vive/Samsung VR.
Is that supposed to run like poo poo or is that just my computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

My friend pointed this out to me and I didn't read it here so, hey, look, a reference!
Darlene's screen name is Dolores Haze, the full name of the girl in Lolita.

Also, for all you *nix-nerds...

ELLIOT USES VIM! Hahahaha gently caress off emacs!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 4, 2016

• Locked thread