Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
A friend and I are trying to nail down an issue with her PC and are turning to Haus Of Tech Support for assistance after beating our heads against a wall.

Problem description: There is a lag while typing in any type of text editor, Word, Notepad, IRC devoted program, Web browser search. The lag occurs intermittently and it does not matter if the PC is offline or online. It doesn’t improve with reboots and does not seem to be connected to any type of program in general. While typing there is a few seconds of delay at times before the keypress registers on any of the word type programs. Causing double letters, missed letters, or combined letters.

Attempted fixes: Updated all drivers, graphics, USB, processor, motherboard. Ran system scan with MalwareBytes for any kind of malicious software. Monitored temperature during trouble times (temp never goes above 30 degrees). Swapped keyboard out (have tried wired mechanical, wireless Logitech, second wired gaming keyboard, new out of the box wireless keyboard) in every USB port on the computer. Updated and checked Ease of Access settings, disabled network card and attempted to work offline. Reformatted computer using a fresh installation disk for windows 8, after which ran the PC without new programs installed for a time to test possible software infection.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit

System specs: Home build - Processor: AMD FX 8320 eight core Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX r2.0 Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6570 Ram: 8g Hard Drives: Intel SSD(2TB), WDC WD20EZRX (OS drive 3g), Seagate Backup (external), Power Supply: RX-730SS Multiple keyboards Logitech wireless, Rosewill mechanical (wired) being among them.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
To clarify, did the problem still happen after you did the fresh installation? If so, I'm leaning toward a bad motherboard. Just to be sure, make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS, the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website, and that your devices are connected to the black USB ports on the back of the motherboard. If it still happens, RMA the motherboard.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
The problem continues to occur even after the fresh install. I have passed on the advice concerning the motherboard BIOS, etc, and will post the results when I get them. Thanks for the prompt reply in the meantime! Fingers crossed that this helps.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I've got an update. The motherboard was swapped for a different one, which seemed to have solved the issue for a short while. However, it's happening again. The power supply has also been swapped for a fresh unit.
Any ideas as to possible causes are welcome and thanks are extended for troubleshooting thus far.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried both USB and PS/2 keyboards?

Also, you might as well run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Sorry for the lack of replies.
I don't know if the issue "self solved", another solution was found, or she got one of the solutions from this thread to work but by all reports it seems to be gone now. I'll try for some details the next time I get a chance to speak to her. But in the meantime, our thanks to you fine folks for your patience and assistance!

• Locked thread