Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Tezzor posted:

Ending human suffering is not the sole consideration, and must be balanced with the equally important considerations of justice in our actions and the goal of maximizing human flourishing, otherwise we arrive at this erroneous conclusion. For my part I'm sorry that people criticizing the necessity of spaceships has caused you to spiral so rapidly into teenage nihilism.

why exactly is justice a worthwhile consideration? and what exactly is the benefit of "human flourishing" (whatever that is)? i know it may be difficult for a life fetishist to understand, but not everyone considers "living" to be a worthwhile endeavor for the entirety of human civilization to devote itself towards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tezzor posted:

For my part I'm sorry that people criticizing the necessity of spaceships has caused you to spiral so rapidly into teenage nihilism.

See, there it is: That smug pseudo-intellectualism of middle management

"My example is perfect, I don't see why you are all so confused, obviously I'm in the right and can say no wrong" :colbert:

Your example is a red herring. It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with disproving our claims about manned space programs, and serves no purpose but to create a strawman that no one can argue with because its so utterly absurd and irrational and you keep jumping back to it as if it proved something it has not. At least not outside of your own mind.

Its a non-sequitur and you are and idiot for posing it as valid.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 13, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ernie Muppari posted:

why exactly is justice a worthwhile consideration? and what exactly is the benefit of "human flourishing" (whatever that is)? i know it may be difficult for a life fetishist to understand, but not everyone considers "living" to be a worthwhile endeavor for the entirety of human civilization to devote itself towards

Why is, like, anything anything, man?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Why is, like, anything anything, man?

you're still not answering my question

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ernie Muppari posted:

you're still not answering my question

Why is answering your question a relevant consideration? Please respond in the form of something I would care about and which does not cause me to analyze my childish and fantastical beliefs.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Why is answering your question a relevant consideration? Please respond in the form of something I would care about and which does not cause me to analyze my childish and fantastical beliefs.

Ernie Muppari posted:

i've noticed that internet master debaters choose to decry their opponents as hypocritical or unserious whenever they can't defend their own arguments, why ever could could that be?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I think its hilarious that its still going. Luckily for people who think that space colonization is unrealistic the harsh realities of physics dictate NASA programs more than popular space faring sentiment. NASA will continue deprioritizing human spaceflight while promising new shuttle technology "15 years from now". Simultaneously we will see awesome new robot missions to various places in the solar system. This argument is completely pointless mostly because its already been settled by the scientists of the 1970s who realized that continued moon missions were an entirely pointless risk of human lives. Western fantasy might romanticize space colonization for a few more decades but eventually the enthusiasm will fade away and hopefully people worried about the continuation of mankind will finally look inward at our own planet before its completely devastated by mass extinction and exploitation.

Honestly I have to give a big shout out to NASA for using manned space exploration to get funding (which they need) so that they can direct that funding into robotic space exploration. Their program of tricking people into believing in permanent self sustained space colonies has paid for a lot of good robotic science.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tezzor posted:

Honestly, you are either for the expansion of growth of the human population off the earth and into space or you are for mass murder and restricted personal liberty to control population growth here on earth.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

hopefully people worried about the continuation of mankind will finally look inward at our own planet before its completely devastated by mass extinction and exploitation.

they don't and everyone dies

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nintendo Kid posted:

Honestly, you are either for the expansion of growth of the human population off the earth and into space or you are for mass murder and restricted personal liberty to control population growth here on earth.

This is a weird and wrong speculation because its been demonstrated that given adequate birth control access and education many countries have seen negative population growth.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Nintendo Kid posted:

reduced consumption by first world nations to sustainable levels* gained by better social organization and a reforming of its culture away from individualism, while devoting some resources to education and health measures in the developing world that'd prevent population growth would probably one way to prevent the need to mass murder the more marginalized people or push them off the earth. This'd probably require a transition from nationalist and capitalist governance, and to tackle the myth in liberal economics that perpetual growth is possible without ever considering limits of what we can extract from the environment. I think this is a better goal than just kicking the can down the road for those who end up on planets that will one day run into similar issues.

*for instance The 12 percent of the world’s population that lives in North America and Western Europe accounts for 60 percent of private consumption spending, while the one-third living in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa accounts for only 3.2 percent. America, with 5% of the world's population, consumes nearly a quarter of the world's energy; almost half of the world's population lives on less than the equivalent of $2 a day.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Rodatose posted:

reduced consumption by first world nations to sustainable levels* gained by better social organization and a reforming of its culture away from individualism, while devoting some resources to education and health measures in the developing world that'd prevent population growth would probably one way to prevent the need to mass murder the more marginalized people or push them off the earth. This'd probably require a transition from nationalist and capitalist governance, and to tackle the myth in liberal economics that perpetual growth is possible without ever considering limits of what we can extract from the environment. I think this is a better goal than just kicking the can down the road for those who end up on planets that will one day run into similar issues.

*for instance The 12 percent of the world’s population that lives in North America and Western Europe accounts for 60 percent of private consumption spending, while the one-third living in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa accounts for only 3.2 percent. America, with 5% of the world's population, consumes nearly a quarter of the world's energy; almost half of the world's population lives on less than the equivalent of $2 a day.

*accountant's eyes goggle out*

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Salt Fish posted:

This is a weird and wrong speculation because its been demonstrated that given adequate birth control access and education many countries have seen negative population growth.

I'm just posting the strawman Tezzor has been arguing against for 12 years just so it's less shameful for him to keep posting.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tezzor posted:

I think he thinks he's mocking me here, but it doesn't really work when this is essentially in fact the thing he's been asking for since he entered this thread. :insertgrowingironicathere:

Especially since all my questions have been pretty loving trivial to answer, but you won't because you aren't willing to entertain the consequences of consistent thought.

That's nice and all but let's focus on stuff on the ongoing conversation: What is your opinion on Tezzor's argument that sending anything at all to space even robots is a bad thing that must be stopped because of self interest and basic human empathy?

Tezzor posted:

Ending human suffering is not the sole consideration, and must be balanced with the equally important considerations of justice in our actions and the goal of maximizing human flourishing, otherwise we arrive at this erroneous conclusion. For my part I'm sorry that people criticizing the necessity of spaceships has caused you to spiral so rapidly into teenage nihilism.

So you're saying that your fetish for the primitive fantasy known as "justice" and some sort of weird manifest-destiny-esque goal of "maximizing human flourishing" are both more important than basic human empathy and a desire to alleviate the suffering of humanity? Also, I'm pretty sure Ernie only care's about spaceships and space insofar as it offers the potential to help him hurry all life on earth to its ultimate destination, so that's a weird second sentence.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm just posting the strawman Tezzor has been arguing against for 12 years just so it's less shameful for him to keep posting.

You truly have a stronger sense of charity and human empathy than I do, fishmech. You're like the one bright spot of hope for him in this long and terrible thread, the scrap of nourishment he needs to survive and continue on indefinitely. :getout:

Tezzor posted:

I think it would be great for D&D if this standard of argument was generally applied.

"I don't think we should go to war with Iran."
"But a lot of people want to go to war with Iran."
"It would cause massive human suffering."
"Why is human suffering important?"
"It's a common moral first principle."
"But what if I begin from the first principle that my desire to see cool gun camera footage is more important? Why do anything at all? Am I alive? I can't see my hands"

Yeah, that's a significant step up from where we are now.

You: "I don't think we should go to war with Iran."
Someone else: "Why not? Dismantling their nuclear program would make the world a safer place."
"You just want to go to war with Iran because you've got a war fetish. There's no good reason to go to war with Iran"
"... but I said a reason already. Why don't you think that's worth it?"
"Give me reasons that aren't just war fetishism."
"Uh, well, avoiding a hypothetical future war where both sides have nukes."
"That's just speculation and fantasy, there's nothing good that would come from such a war."
"Are you opposed to the idea of war in general?"
"No, wars for reasons I approve of are alright, just not war with Iran."
"Then why the hell do you actually think we shouldn't invade Iran?"
"Because we could cover North Korea with Jello instead. That would probably stop their nuclear program!"
"..."
"Also because the only reason you want to go war with Iran is for primitive religious reasons."
"..."
"Also also we could cover North Korea with Jello instead, did you hear that bit? I think it clearly demonstrates how hosed up your Iran war idea is and provides an irrefutable reason not to do it."
"... I don't see how this is an argument against war with Iran."

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 14, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

GlyphGryph posted:

That's nice and all but let's focus on stuff on the ongoing conversation: What is your opinion on Tezzor's argument that sending anything at all to space even robots is a bad thing that must be stopped because of self interest and basic human empathy?

lol if you think I'm going to directly address a tezzor post

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

I think he thinks he's mocking me here, but it doesn't really work when this is essentially in fact the thing he's been asking for since he entered this thread. :insertgrowingironicathere:

Especially since all my questions have been pretty loving trivial to answer, but you won't because you aren't willing to entertain the consequences of consistent thought.

So you're saying that your fetish for the primitive fantasy known as "justice" and some sort of weird manifest-destiny-esque goal of "maximizing human flourishing" are both more important than basic human empathy and a desire to alleviate the suffering of humanity? Also, I'm pretty sure Ernie only care's about spaceships and space insofar as it offers the potential to help him hurry all life on earth to its ultimate destination, so that's a weird second sentence.

You truly have a stronger sense of charity and human empathy than I do, fishmech. You're like the one bright spot of hope for him in this long and terrible thread, the scrap of nourishment he needs to survive and continue on indefinitely. :getout:

Someone else: "Why not? Dismantling their nuclear program would make the world a safer place."
"You just want to go to war with Iran because you've got a war fetish. There's no good reason to go to war with Iran"
"That's just speculation and fantasy, there's nothing good that would come from such a war."
"Because we could cover North Korea with Jello instead. That would probably stop their nuclear program!"
"..."
"Also because the only reason you want to go war with Iran is for primitive religious reasons."
"..."
"Also also we could cover North Korea with Jello instead, did you hear that bit? I think it clearly demonstrates how hosed up your Iran war idea is and provides an irrefutable reason not to do it."

Actually none of this is true.

Once again, for the slow kids: the purpose of Jello Australia, as a rhetorical point, is to demonstrate that all the arguments space fetishists make about the benefits of space spending can be achieved by any large arbitrary project, no matter how pointless or absurd, and therefore disqualifies these arguments as specific defenses of space spending. I'm not married to Jello. Perhaps we fill Australia with yams. Perhaps we build the world's largest rubber band ball. All the arguments you make for space exploration can be equally applied to these.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

lol if you think I'm going to directly address a tezzor post

why? have years of lax moderation and loose posting standards dulled your already mediocre wits?

GlyphGryph posted:

"..."
"..."

to be fair, unless you believe as i do, that real peace will only be achieved when there is no life on earth, then going to war with iran will not even be a first step towards making the world "a safer place"

Tezzor posted:

Once again, for the slow kids: the purpose of Jello Australia, as a rhetorical point, is to demonstrate that all the arguments space fetishists make about the benefits of space spending can be achieved by any large arbitrary project, no matter how pointless or absurd, and therefore disqualifies these arguments as specific defenses of space spending. I'm not married to Jello. Perhaps we fill Australia with yams. Perhaps we build the world's largest rubber band ball. All the arguments you make for space exploration can be equally applied to these.

still no defense for your life fetishist agenda?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Rodatose posted:

People are able to pursue their own spiritual fulfillment on their own terms. However not everyone takes pride out of a nationalist colonization project. The people who instantly associate a rejection of manned space flight with nihilism comes off like "You are lacking in spiritual fulfillment because you don't have pride in the specific spiritual endeavor we have," which is a common religious sentiment.

There's a difference between "Manned spaceflight is a complete waste and should not be done, at all, ever" and "Manned spaceflight, while interesting and cool to some, should be prioritized lower than it is, in favor of XYZ programs or whatever." I think the current situation of manned space stuff getting something around 0.2% or 0.3% of the budget is completely reasonable. It's so small as to be an almost symbolic thing to attack, even if you're 100% against it. Especially given that the interest/enthusiasm/pride/good-feely-weelys it generates is much bigger than that low percentage would indicate. Here's part of the conclusion of a 2003 Smithsonian paper about public perception of US human spaceflight:

"A good paper posted:

The American public has long held generally positive attitudes toward the space program, but is not very familiar with its details.

Over the history of the space age, an average of more than 60 percent of those polled rated the job done by NASA as either ‘‘excellent’’ or ‘‘good.’’

Most Americans have shown support for space exploration and view it as important over the years, but also believe that federal money could be better spent on other programs.

Most are also in favor of NASA as an organization, but are relatively unfamiliar with the majority of its activities and objectives.

These polls also suggest historically close relation-ships between public perceptions of NASA and spaceflight depictions in popular culture, especially film. These images from popular culture, coupled with real-world accomplishments in spaceflight, work together to create powerful visions affecting the public consciousness.

At the same time, the paper notes that the Apollo program almost never enjoyed wide approval ("in favor" averages ~43%, "oppose" averages ~49%, over selected years from 1961 - 1995), and manned Mars missions poll slightly worse. And then of course there's the famous poll where the average guess as to NASA's share of the budget is 20%, which is an overestimate by a factor of 20 - 40.

Summing up, Americans feel generally good about NASA and manned spaceflight, but also generally tend to oppose the costs associated with large missions (although, amusingly, people really liked the Space Shuttle). But given that the average person overestimates the amount NASA spends by a factor of 20 or 40, it seems reasonable to assume that support would be higher (maybe much higher) if the true relative cost of these past, present, and proposed missions was generally understood.

That actually seems to sum up the thread too - people like NASA/space exploration in principle, but then make utilitarian arguments way out of proportion to what completely defunding NASA (or just the manned program) would actually accomplish.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Prolonged Priapism, do you believe that NASA's current budget can send a manned mission to mars on the next 20 to 30 years?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ernie Muppari posted:

to be fair, unless you believe as i do, that real peace will only be achieved when there is no life on earth, then going to war with iran will not even be a first step towards making the world "a safer place"

I had actually included this unassailable point of view in my original draft, as a successful counterpoint to Iran Tezzor's ineffectual arguing, but unfortunately reading it was really confusing with three voices so I cut it.

But, like, obviously, yeah.

Tezzor posted:

Satiation of curiosity and wanderlust, a desire to pass something of value (valuable knowledge about the universe and what's in it) on to our progeny combined with the tools they need to acquire more, are things the Jello Australia program does not offer. Yes, they both essentially offer a jobs program, but it turns out that Jobs programs that also accomplish other things are better.

Yam Australia also has negatives the space program does not, like rendering an entire country full of people uninhabitable.

I think you also want the Australia-sized rubber band ball to count as a human achievement the way space travel is, but unfortunately almost no one would think of it that way, and things are only achievements to folks that think they are. Most people would consider a giant rubber band ball made out of jello and yams a failure, really, on multiple levels. And you can't really build off of any of these things - even if we assume that an Australia full of trillions of rubber band balls was a cool thing worth doing that many people would see as a valuable triumph of the species, it doesn't provide any basis for doing future cool things for our children.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

I think you also want the Australia-sized rubber band ball to count as a human achievement the way space travel is, but unfortunately almost no one would think of it that way, and things are only achievements to folks that think they are. Most people would consider a giant rubber band ball made out of jello and yams a failure, really, on multiple levels. And you can't really build off of any of these things - even if we assume that an Australia full of trillions of rubber band balls was a cool thing worth doing that many people would see as a valuable triumph of the species, it doesn't provide any basis for doing future cool things for our children.

Tezzor's example however does point out that the commonly trotted out weak practical justification for manned space missions "unexpected technologies will be generated by virtue of having a bunch of smart guys work on a huge science or engineering project" can be used for any big project, including covering Australia in a layer of Jell-O. His post parodying how people make up bullshit when trying to hawk their science project as being important technologically and relevant to society was spot on. I'm reposting it below.

Tezzor posted:

Covering Australia to a depth of 10 feet in green gelatin would lead to new technologies for the more efficient mass-production of gelatin, and thereby new technologies for food production in general. Probably advancements in genetic engineering in developing an algae-type organism that produces green gelatin more directly and efficiently than extraction from bones. Building such a massive and strong retaining wall for the gelatin would result in advancements in construction technology and possibly robotics and materials science, as well as cooling technology, power plants, massive-scale desalinization, as well as probably weapons and surveillance technology in suppressing the baffled and increasingly desperate Australian rebellions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tezzor posted:

Strawman. Strawman. Strawman.

Seriously, you have the weirdest fantasy strawmen.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

I had actually included this unassailable point of view in my original draft, as a successful counterpoint to Iran Tezzor's ineffectual arguing, but unfortunately reading it was really confusing with three voices so I cut it.

But, like, obviously, yeah.

Satiation of curiosity and wanderlust, a desire to pass something of value (valuable knowledge about the universe and what's in it) on to our progeny combined with the tools they need to acquire more, are things the Jello Australia program does not offer. Yes, they both essentially offer a jobs program, but it turns out that Jobs programs that also accomplish other things are better.

Yam Australia also has negatives the space program does not, like rendering an entire country full of people uninhabitable.

I think your argument is centrally based on your preconceptions and lack of imagination. Who are you to say that the world's largest rubber band ball wouldn't trigger human curiosity or give you cool things? Why should I care particularly about your curiosity about balls of rock literally over a billion miles away, or your desire for cool things (that you don't own), considerations so far down the Hierarchy of Needs as to below "toilet paper preference"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tezzor posted:

I think your argument is centrally based on your preconceptions and lack of imagination. Who are you to say that the world's largest rubber band ball wouldn't trigger human curiosity or give you cool things? Why should I care particularly about your curiosity about balls of rock literally over a billion miles away, or your desire for cool things (that you don't own), considerations so far down the Hierarchy of Needs as to below "toilet paper preference"?

Y'know, it'd be fun if you actually argued in good faith instead of throwing tantrums like a baby and using examples that are absolute nonsense.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tezzor posted:

I think your argument is based on a fundamental inability to understand values systems, the thoughts and feelings of others, long term thinking and basic logic... in addition to persistent preconceptions you cling to in the face of overwhelming evidence and a complete lack of imagination regarding the ability of people to think differently than yourself.

Evidence:

quote:

Who are you to say that the world's largest rubber band ball wouldn't trigger human curiosity or give you cool things?
You talk about wanting to "trigger curiosity" in response to an argument about satiating it.
You talk about stuff "giving you cool things" in response to an argument about doing cool things.

I guess we're just going to have to rest here, with the vast, vast majority of the human race and their psychology as an ineffable mystery to you.

(And no, before you stupidly jump up thinking one of your strawmen has finally been validated, no - I am not saying the vast, vast majority of the population share's my opinion about space. If you actually thought that before getting to this paragraph, let it serve as an example of just how true that statement is.)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

so i guess you admit your childish desire for the continued existence of humanity, even if it means many exist only to suffer, isn't rational or cost effective in the least?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Spazzle posted:

Prolonged Priapism, do you believe that NASA's current budget can send a manned mission to mars on the next 20 to 30 years?

Almost definitely not within 20, and very probably not within 30. It's in the realm of technical possibility, if you assume SLS works perfectly, the mission is a short Apollo 11 style flag and footprints trip, etc. There'd really have to be a big, concentrated push (starting roughly now/yesterday) for that to happen though, especially given the current budget. So basically, no.

Tezzor posted:

The "spinoffs" defense is not a very good one, I agree. But that's not the main reason we do space stuff, so I don't see why it seems to be your main rebuttal. You don't have to "care particularly" about space exploration, in fact many people don't! At the same time, many people do, which is why it's worth considering in the first place. As opposed to, say, Jello Australia, which nobody ever cared about even a little.

A better comparison for you to make might be something like a city bidding to host the Olympic games. The "practical" value is basically zero. There may be incidental infrastructure improvements, briefly increased tourism, etc. But the spinoff arguments are not the main point. The point is to host the biggest and most prestigious ridiculous international athletic competition. To be the center of the world's attention, at least for two weeks. The work itself (and the event, of course) is the reward. It's a cool thing that people would like to be a part of, to the point where they compete for the honor. Again, many people think it's stupid and a waste, but enough disagree. Do you see how this is at least roughly the same class of issue as publicly funded spaceflight? Instead of a dumb-as-possible strawman scenario?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GlyphGryph posted:

I think your argument is based on a fundamental inability to understand values systems, the thoughts and feelings of others, long term thinking and basic logic... in addition to persistent preconceptions you cling to in the face of overwhelming evidence and a complete lack of imagination regarding the ability of people to think differently than yourself.

Evidence:

You talk about wanting to "trigger curiosity" in response to an argument about satiating it.
You talk about stuff "giving you cool things" in response to an argument about doing cool things.

I guess we're just going to have to rest here, with the vast, vast majority of the human race and their psychology as an ineffable mystery to you.

(And no, before you stupidly jump up thinking one of your strawmen has finally been validated, no - I am not saying the vast, vast majority of the population share's my opinion about space. If you actually thought that before getting to this paragraph, let it serve as an example of just how true that statement is.)

Your hairsplitting actually makes your argument worse. It's easier and more plausible for any arbitrary project to sate curiosity (the curiosity of "can we do this thing") than it is to trigger it. Completing any large project can be considered "doing a cool thing" by a nerd emotionally invested in it, which is much easier than it ever giving any benefits beyond that. As far as "long term thinking," this is merely a space fetishist shibboleth meaning "I can't make a coherent evidence-based argument for why this needs to happen at all, let alone right now, but is a precondition of the fantastical future I have imagined into existence."

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Your hairsplitting actually makes your argument worse. It's easier and more plausible for any arbitrary project to sate curiosity (the curiosity of "can we do this thing") than it is to trigger it. Completing any large project can be considered "doing a cool thing" by a nerd emotionally invested in it, which is much easier than it ever giving any benefits beyond that. As far as "long term thinking," this is merely a space fetishist shibboleth meaning "I can't make a coherent evidence-based argument for why this needs to happen at all, let alone right now, but is a precondition of the fantastical future I have imagined into existence."

quite the projection for someone who can't even be bothered to defend their own position

i guess i shouldn't be too surprised considering the general lack of intelligence on display in d&d

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Almost definitely not within 20, and very probably not within 30. It's in the realm of technical possibility, if you assume SLS works perfectly, the mission is a short Apollo 11 style flag and footprints trip, etc. There'd really have to be a big, concentrated push (starting roughly now/yesterday) for that to happen though, especially given the current budget. So basically, no.

The "spinoffs" defense is not a very good one, I agree. But that's not the main reason we do space stuff, so I don't see why it seems to be your main rebuttal. You don't have to "care particularly" about space exploration, in fact many people don't! At the same time, many people do, which is why it's worth considering in the first place. As opposed to, say, Jello Australia, which nobody ever cared about even a little.

A better comparison for you to make might be something like a city bidding to host the Olympic games. The "practical" value is basically zero. There may be incidental infrastructure improvements, briefly increased tourism, etc. But the spinoff arguments are not the main point. The point is to host the biggest and most prestigious ridiculous international athletic competition. To be the center of the world's attention, at least for two weeks. The work itself (and the event, of course) is the reward. It's a cool thing that people would like to be a part of, to the point where they compete for the honor. Again, many people think it's stupid and a waste, but enough disagree. Do you see how this is at least roughly the same class of issue as publicly funded spaceflight? Instead of a dumb-as-possible strawman scenario?

I do see how it's similar, and how it's more related to real life, but it lacks the messianism of space fetishism, which is a key factor in its idiocy. Also, and this is a general issue with the internet, but strawman is a word with an actual meaning, stop throwing it to claim victory like a Pokemon card. It's a deliberately absurd example used to highlight the issues with their argument, a reducto ad absurdum. I'm not misrepresenting their argument as support for actually wanting to fill Australia with yams and then knocking that down.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ernie Muppari posted:

so i guess you admit your childish desire for the continued existence of humanity, even if it means many exist only to suffer, isn't rational or cost effective in the least?

I'm sorry, I'm not going to dignify transparent sniveling until I get answers to the two questions I politely asked which you cruelly dodged. Here they are again for ease:

1. Why is answering your questions something I should care about or consider valuable?
2. Why is, like, anything anything, man?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

I do see how it's similar, and how it's more related to real life, but it lacks the messianism of space fetishism, which is a key factor in its idiocy. Also, and this is a general issue with the internet, but strawman is a word with an actual meaning, stop throwing it to claim victory like a Pokemon card. It's a deliberately absurd example used to highlight the issues with their argument, a reducto ad absurdum. I'm not misrepresenting their argument as support for actually wanting to fill Australia with yams and then knocking that down.

meanwhile, i present an actual counter position to yours, one that's internally consistent and challenges your unthinking acceptance of forum orthodoxy, and you refuse to even consider it

Tezzor posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not going to dignify transparent sniveling until I get answers to the two questions I politely asked which you cruelly dodged. Here they are again for ease:

1. Why is answering your questions something I should care about or consider valuable?
2. Why is, like, anything anything, man?

1. you actually don't have to answer any of my questions if you're comfortable admitting that your religious beliefs can't stand up to criticism

2. i believe that i've been fairly consistent in my position that nothing is anything

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 14, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tezzor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_analogy#False_analogy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

Maybe you should learn how to present an argument before trying to convince everyone how wasteful something is.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ernie Muppari posted:

meanwhile, i present an actual counter position to yours, one that's internally consistent and challenges your unthinking acceptance of forum orthodoxy, and you refuse to even consider it

1. you actually don't have to answer any of my questions if you're comfortable admitting that your religious beliefs can't stand up to criticism

2. i believe that i've been fairly consistent in my position that nothing is anything

Thanks. I'm going to put you on ignore as you have nothing of interest to say and are embarrassingly whiny about people saying mean things about spaceships. I'll check back in a bit to see if you've calmed down from your depressive spiral into teen nihilism about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Thanks. I'm going to put you on ignore as you have nothing of interest to say and are embarrassingly whiny about people saying mean things about spaceships. I'll check back in a bit to see if you've calmed down from your depressive spiral into teen nihilism about it.

so let me get this straight

you, the person who lamented, earlier in this very debate, that

Tezzor posted:

...years of D&D moderation choices [snip] have allowed for far looser standards of conduct for those uncritically spewing orthodoxy than those critical of it.

and characterize those you argue against as being incapable/unwilling to defend their own arguments because of their inherent lack of substance

you refuse to engage me, one of the only people in this thread whose position has been both internally consistant, and nearly unchanged since my first post, in actual debate or discussion?

edit: i daresay that if this were another forum i used to post on that would be grounds for an immediate permaban and display of your final posts for public mocking due to intellectual cowardice, sadly d&d has nothing like those high standards, so i suspect you'll continue arguing here as though i hadn't replied to you at all

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 14, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Hahah, wow. Ernie hasn't said anything even slightly whiny. He isn't even particularly nihilistic - nihilists don't believe things have real value or meaning or are worth pursuing, which is much closer to your position than his.

He has clearly been arguing in favour of an objective system of value, the thing he wants to actively seek out.

Nihilism never starts with "I think it's important we do..."

So this is dumb because it's wrong in two ways - your mischaracterizing of his position, and the fact that we all know you're going to read his posts anyway.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ernie: without humans things would be really dull. Humans do cool poo poo, like go into space, build cities and invent computers.

Tezzor: would you consider it acceptable for manned space flight to be funded from the same sources as/ instead of things like opera, art galleries and English literature professorships? Being in the same category of "things that aren't directly useful or a viable business but are still cool poo poo we want to happen".

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Ernie: without humans things would be really dull. Humans do cool poo poo, like go into space, build cities and invent computers.

the process of creating those things, as well as their use provide more avenues through which people can be made to suffer

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

the process of creating those things, as well as their use provide more avenues through which people can be made to suffer

Much like Tezzors repeated logical fallacies make others suffer.

I see your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ernie Muppari posted:

Without suffering, there wouldn't be joy, so I don't see why we aren't trying to maximize suffering to wring the maximum amount of joy out of life? Given that life is of limited length, surely experiencing the maximum amount of joy in that time is the greatest good.

So I support Tezzor's posting.

• Locked thread