Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Infinite Karma posted:

Without suffering, there wouldn't be joy, so I don't see why we aren't trying to maximize suffering to wring the maximum amount of joy out of life? Given that life is of limited length, surely experiencing the maximum amount of joy in that time is the greatest good.

So I support Tezzor's posting.

Ah, but none other than Tezzor himself has declared that seeking joy is a strictly inferior concern to negating suffering based on the ultimate and completely rational emotion of human empathy. We may choose to pursue joy in certain acceptable ways, but only after we have dedicated all of our resources to those who need it to avoid suffering.

Ernie's plan is ultimately solid - but I do think your argument has merit as well. Perhaps there is some sort of middle ground we can adopt - killing all of humanity in some event of extreme joy, some tremendous accomplishment we can all be proud of in our final moments, like flooding the world with Jello?

I suppose, coming to this conclusion, I too must support Tezzors posting. He's willing to bring out the proposals no one else would ever even consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dzhay posted:

Tezzor: would you consider it acceptable for manned space flight to be funded from the same sources as/ instead of things like opera, art galleries and English literature professorships? Being in the same category of "things that aren't directly useful or a viable business but are still cool poo poo we want to happen".

If you want to make an argument as to space science as culturally enriching, that's subjective and not really arguable. I can see the value in it. But that's not how space fetishists argue for space science. That's their last-gasp fallback position after all their half-baked practical reasons for the necessity of space exploration fall over under the lightest breeze of critique.

In this thread, which is really not at all bad by their standards, we have people sincerely making the arguments that space exploration is imminently necessary and desirable because of the following benefits: we'll figure out how to fix global warming, we'll save the human race from annihilation, we'll end scarcity, and we may find intelligent benevolent aliens. The fact that they've ceded ground all the way back to "well I like the idea of space and the pretty pictures of lifeless gas and rock we get" should be all the evidence you need of the seriousness of their big arguments.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 14, 2015

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tezzor posted:

If you want to make an argument as to space science as culturally enriching, that's subjective and not really arguable. I can see the value in it. But that's not how space fetishists argue for space science. That's their last-gasp fallback position after all their half-baked practical reasons for the necessity of space exploration fall over under the lightest breeze of critique.

In this thread, which is really not at all bad by their standards, we have people sincerely making the arguments that space exploration is imminently necessary and desirable because of the following benefits: we'll figure out how to fix global warming, we'll save the human race from annihilation, we'll end scarcity, and we may find intelligent benevolent aliens. The fact that they've ceded ground all the way back to "well I like the idea of space and the pretty pictures of lifeless gas and rock we get" should be all the evidence you need of the seriousness of their big arguments.

Wait, when did you change your target from manned spaceflight to "space science" in general? "Pictures of dust and rock" are barely costing anyone anything.

Does anyone remember when this thread was about Mars?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Tezzor posted:

just like the fact that you're too stupid to defend your own argument should be evidence enough that your position has less worth than the pixels used to display it on my screen

GlyphGryph posted:

Ah, but none other than Tezzor himself has declared that seeking joy is a strictly inferior concern to negating suffering based on the ultimate and completely rational emotion of human empathy. We may choose to pursue joy in certain acceptable ways, but only after we have dedicated all of our resources to those who need it to avoid suffering.

Ernie's plan is ultimately solid - but I do think your argument has merit as well. Perhaps there is some sort of middle ground we can adopt - killing all of humanity in some event of extreme joy, some tremendous accomplishment we can all be proud of in our final moments, like flooding the world with Jello?

I suppose, coming to this conclusion, I too must support Tezzors posting. He's willing to bring out the proposals no one else would ever even consider.

the problem arises from the fact that you can't guarantee that even more suffering wont be created during the set up for the extinction event, add to that the astronomical costs associated with putting on a world-wide celebration prior to the event, and it should be clear to even a mentally deficient toddler that anything other than the immediate cessation of all life on earth is an unacceptable waste of time and energy if our goal is to end suffering

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Saw a few mentions of deep ocean colonization on the first couple pages but then discussion kinda dropped off it seemed, can this thread be about sealabs again? Seriously. All this blue-balled hoping and praying to find a few microbes in a chunk of icy dirt from Mars or Enceladus or wherever is tragically unnecessary when there are tons of bizarre, colorful, undiscovered alien life forms right here to gawk at. Also there's geothermal power down there, and oil if we're being honest with ourselves. Is there really anything in space we particularly need at the moment anywhere near as much as energy? (That said, if they could pull off some kind of high-atmosphere albedo modification to buy time on the climate change issue, that'd be pretty baller)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Liberal_L33t posted:

Saw a few mentions of deep ocean colonization on the first couple pages but then discussion kinda dropped off it seemed, can this thread be about sealabs again? Seriously. All this blue-balled hoping and praying to find a few microbes in a chunk of icy dirt from Mars or Enceladus or wherever is tragically unnecessary when there are tons of bizarre, colorful, undiscovered alien life forms right here to gawk at. Also there's geothermal power down there, and oil if we're being honest with ourselves. Is there really anything in space we particularly need at the moment anywhere near as much as energy? (That said, if they could pull off some kind of high-atmosphere albedo modification to buy time on the climate change issue, that'd be pretty baller)

why waste time and money looking at fish on the ocean floor when that wont even come close to helping people on land in the short or long terms?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The Ocean is pretty cool. Space stuff can take a long time so I think we should do both.

Tezzor posted:

If you want to make an argument as to space science as culturally enriching, that's subjective and not really arguable. I can see the value in it. But that's not how space fetishists argue for space science.
So you think cultural enrichment is an acceptable reason to go to space (or at least one you won't argue with)?

Because that's where I started, and I specifically made the analogy to art galleries and libraries and stuff, and you called it religious fanaticism, which is why we had to go off on a big tangent to try to figure out what exactly you *didn't* consider religious fanaticism.

Here, specifically, the first time I actually addressed this topic:

quote:

Do you feel similarly about sports, media, art, business, politics, etc?
Or is it just space?

I'm glad to see you've changed your mind.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

The Ocean is pretty cool. Space stuff can take a long time so I think we should do both.

Agreed. Space AND the Ocean! Together!

Tezzor posted:

Tell us about the Jello, George.

• Locked thread