Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Blue Star posted:

I guess it's hard to measure "changiness".
"change"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

we should spend all the money on researching how to make a time machine. think of all the accidental discoveries and how much cooler rich white people's lives will be if we succeed. It also means humanity will exist at two points in time, protecting us from population collapse

As a physicist, I unironically endorse this proposal. Please throw more money at theoretical physics research, you weren't going to use it on poor people anyway and you know it.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ernie: without humans things would be really dull. Humans do cool poo poo, like go into space, build cities and invent computers.

Tezzor: would you consider it acceptable for manned space flight to be funded from the same sources as/ instead of things like opera, art galleries and English literature professorships? Being in the same category of "things that aren't directly useful or a viable business but are still cool poo poo we want to happen".

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tezzor posted:

If you want to make an argument as to space science as culturally enriching, that's subjective and not really arguable. I can see the value in it. But that's not how space fetishists argue for space science. That's their last-gasp fallback position after all their half-baked practical reasons for the necessity of space exploration fall over under the lightest breeze of critique.

In this thread, which is really not at all bad by their standards, we have people sincerely making the arguments that space exploration is imminently necessary and desirable because of the following benefits: we'll figure out how to fix global warming, we'll save the human race from annihilation, we'll end scarcity, and we may find intelligent benevolent aliens. The fact that they've ceded ground all the way back to "well I like the idea of space and the pretty pictures of lifeless gas and rock we get" should be all the evidence you need of the seriousness of their big arguments.

Wait, when did you change your target from manned spaceflight to "space science" in general? "Pictures of dust and rock" are barely costing anyone anything.

Does anyone remember when this thread was about Mars?

• Locked thread