Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Going to Mars is stupid. It's an airless desert. I went to the Grand Canyon once, and you know what? I was ready to go after a couple hours. And I could breathe. There's nothing to do on Mars. There's nothing good to go find. It's just a big stupid desert.

Europa would be way cooler. Or, yeah, Enceladus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

How about we do a human mission to somewhere cool instead, like Enceladus? It has a subsurface liquid ocean. We could explore space AND the ocean.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I wonder if the sun is sentient.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

rudatron posted:

Any long range space mission is going to effectively rely on the same technology as colonization, because there's no way you're gonna pack enough stuff to feed people for years.

Wanting something =! messianic or teleological you idiot.

Here, let me flip this around for you: If space exploration is teleological, then so is environmentalism. Or so is your dumb idea that it's space exploration is somehow preventing the solution to world hunger/peace (hint: it's not). How's that not also a teleology, under your definition?

Environmentalism is pragmatic.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Enjoy posted:

Assuming we establish a permanent presence on Mars, and assuming we discover fossilised lifeforms, and assuming fossils can be used for necromancy, what will the magic discipline be called for Martian necromancers? Xenonecromancy?

It would still be necromancy since necro = dead stuff & mancy = magic stuff.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I love tech AND amoral masturbation, and I'm sapient, basically. Do I get to go to space?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Has anyone ever tried to communicate with the Sun? What if it's trying to talk to us?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

My chemistry sucks, but okay so gaseous sulfur dioxide doesn't seem like it would pose a threat to a craft other than if it leaked and killed everyone inside, but I mean if your spacecraft is leaking then you're already dead before you get there. The gaseous sulfuric acid could be a big problem, but wikipedia says concentrated sulfuric acid works differently from dilute sulfuric acid. What if you react tin with 2 H2SO4 from the martian atmosphere, save the byproducts, drink the water, and use solar power to reconvert the burnt tin back into regular tin? Kind of like how carbon dioxide scrubbers work? Then your floating biosphere made out of copper and plexiglass acrylic http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastics_Library/Chemical-Resistance-of-Plexiglass-Acrylic will survive just fine

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

There's also apparently loads of CO2 in the venutian mesosphere, which means you can harvest carbon for making things.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I'm all for this. Mars is a nice stepping stone, but there are better targets. But getting to Mars will prove we can do it.

Why Mars? Why not Titan? Why do we need a stepping stone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I like the idea of going to space because it seems like it would be all peaceful and serene to be floating around up in the dark, seeing stars and whatnot. If you have a big ship to take you places, there would be all kinds of LEDs flashing everywhere and a bunch of computer displays showing science stuff. You might have a girlfriend or wife in your spaceship, and you can make love while floating around your cabin. The only problem is that Mars aint' the kind of place to raise a kid. In fact it's cold as hell. Plus it has gravity so no floating.

• Locked thread