Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I guess throw my voice in with those saying the MP costs are too high. I actually mentioned it a few times in the other thread, but one of my big fears was that non-Western tech nations would get screwed with development. And that's partially true, but the bigger issue is that they're just screwed since dipannexing and coring costs also went up.

I also don't seem to understand why a lot of the changes that come out seem so geared towards stopping blobbing. The entirety of the game is pretty much just war, with brief downtimes while you're consolidating gains/prepping for the next war. Increasing the downtime seems odd, since there's often little to do (for an example, see how much people hate regencies and how it's often just "speed 5 and go do something else"). Especially since it's tied to a random mechanic-getting a couple of long-lived 1/0/2 rulers is even more punishing than it was previously. I'll probably mess around a bit more, but my first impression is that I don't really wanna bother playing anymore until the costs have been changed. It's not that the AI is better, it's just more of a slog waiting on MP to generate so you can actually play.

Also, has anyone noticed attrition rates being higher? I think part of it was my vassals & Lithuania always wanting to join in whatever castle siege I had going, but I was seeing attrition rates over 8% right at the start of the game in my war against the Teutonic Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

BgRdMchne posted:

As to non western nations having too few MPs, why not make development cheaper, and then for the Americas, cut the development level in half a few years after contact with Western nations?

I'd almost go the other way, make non-Western tech groups have reduced coring costs on a sliding scale.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Elman posted:

I haven't improved a single province since I haven't played western yet, but I'd prefer my expansion to be limited by AE, stronger AIs, my vassals' liberty desire or my own fuckups. Monarch points just aren't very fun cause they're one resource you can't really control, as opposed to a bunch of different factors you have to juggle around.

Yeah this is kinda how I feel. Obviously it's always been an issue where a bad ruler can if not crush you, at least slow you down horribly but now it's just not particularly fun at all.

I didn't check out all of the developer diaries, but was there a mention anywhere on diploannex/coring costs being jacked up so high? I guess I'd like to see the thinking behind it, did they think there was some huge problem with people being able to take over too much land? I'd thought the last expansion and subsequent patches had put the game in a fairly good place. Now it feels like unless you're extremely good, going wide or tall is kinda prohibitive.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I kinda quit playing around the time Common Sense came out, and I see a new expansion is upcoming and some of the changes sound extremely cool so I'm hoping to dive back in. Had a few questions though:

1. One issue I had when the last expansion came out was that monarch points seemed super-strained with the increased coring costs and development. I basically felt super-taxed playing anything but a Western nation, and even those seemed a lot slower going. Is this still the case? I fully admit I may have not played it enough to make a proper judgement before. It also seemed taking tons of land would be prohibitively difficult, even with one of the superpowers. Is that still the case/was it ever the case in this expansion?

2. How's combat? I know the fort system seemed kinda odd when I first tried playing-it seemed sometimes I couldn't move to adjacent forts and would have to far around to come in from different directions, etc. Again, may have been my not understanding of the situation but it didn't seem to reduce tedium at all.

3. How useful are the buildings? And is it actually viable/possible to build super "tall"? I'm just kinda curious about this one since I know part of the whole development change was to make that more of an option. How about managing large vassals/PUs? It seemed they'd break away a lot easier which I'm not sure I liked.

Basically, I got kinda negative first impressions of the big changes, and wonder was it more me just not adjusting to a new playstyle/being bad rather than the systems in the game actually being much more difficult for taking over land/waging war.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Another Person posted:

Not quite as pathetic as Riga giving Jake a run for his money, but DDRJake has been at war with the Ottomans for about an hour and a half here. He has never once been in positive warscore the entire time.

e; it has gone on so long that the mamluks peaced out of the original ottoman war and have since been called into a second war against them (e; and have now peaced out of a second ottoman war - generations have been born and died of old age in this war)

And now somehow he's taking over all the Ottomans land? It's like he failed so hard, it just overflowed into winning or something. Although it's why I'll never be this good at the game as him since I'd have given up long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Another Person posted:

He did not achieve what he has now by 'being good'. Trust me. He has spent over 40 years in this one war, and has wasted about 2000 admin boosting stability due to stabhitting peace offers. At one point his entire nation was blanketed by rebels. Every single province. He lost Iraq to separatists. All of his other provinces were sieged by pretenders in the midst of a civil war. His nation was in such a poo poo state that both the Ottomans and Mamluks (who had no reason to be in his land other than pity) were chasing down his rebels.

Eventually what happened is that his pretenders succeded due to holding all of his land, giving him a free army, new ruler and full horde unity. Because the rebels held all of his land, the Ottomans held no more warscore than the score they earned from all of the battles DDRJake had lost, which was under the amount which allows stab hitting offers to still be sent.

Oh I understand all of that, but I'd say it takes some skill to even be able to hang on as long as he did. I'd have given up much sooner (and at the very least taken one of the peace deals that was tanking his stab). And losing Iraq wasn't actually that big of a deal since he kept his cores and was able to take all the new armies and get it right back. I think especially for achievement runs it still shows how you can manage seemingly untenable situations. I mean he did essentially break the Ottos by holding out like he did.

Granted, it likely wouldn't had gotten that dire had he taken loans, but that's not his style.

• Locked thread