Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arzakon posted:

From last thread -

I think this happens when a rebel faction is building in a province and that province starts building support for a different faction that already has progress. The progress carries over and gets added to the already growing faction. I've never seen it jump to 100+ before probably because it would only be there for the tick of the month. I have seen a 20% and 60% merge into a single 80% group before. Were you converting one of the provinces and had that finish the prior month?

That's probably what happened. Everything turned out alright though.

Might be the luckiest i've ever been in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Any reason you took the inland province instead of the CoT on the coast? I noticed the AE is pretty beefy up there but took it anyways and got coalitioned. Going to need to start improving relations if I want to try and grab all three.

For some reason I thought the center of trade was in Madurai. Didn't realize till after. Would've taken it if I knew. I haven't gotten coalitioned yet or even seen one though. I regret not taking more from Vijay. Bahmanias took the lion's share of them and then turned around and ate another country and no one blinked an eye.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I can't enjoy EU4 anymore. I'm just incredibly bored with it. How good is the goon MP community? I think I need to move beyond SP.

MP is like a whole other game. If you're bored with SP I'd highly recommend it. Most people who do know that it's almost impossible to go back to singleplayer (except when new DLC comes out) after you've gotten a taste of pvp.

The mp thread is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3577057&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#pti5

We'll be starting a new campaign as soon as our current one finishes. We're in the mid 1700's so probably early July. Although we usually need substitute players or people can just observe if they want.

Some random shots of a few battles from last Saturday.

As for the increased MP costs, someone mentioned that they only had 2 ideas unlocked by 1550. I'm around 1550 in my Ceylon game and I have 2 whole groups finished, half of India, a bunch of colonies and I've developed my provinces maybe around 30 times. Points are much tighter now but I don't think it's too bad. My rulers have been mostly bad to average. It's good that blobbing isn't as easy as it was. Anyone having trouble with points should start fighting wars just to humiliate rivals. +3 extra points every month for staying above 50 PP doesn't seem like much but every point helps.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If you're trying to min-max a custom nation, an Ambrosian republic with your fourth national idea being +.5 RT and a religion with a deity system is the way to go. Once you unlock the tradition bonus you'll have 6-6-6 more often than not.

Even just as Milan, it's worth taking so all your events say "my Captain-General..."

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
A warning to anyone going for Buddhists Strike Back:

Once you have a decent amount of power, try to make sure anyone with the Rajput idea group doesn't live very long.

I made the mistake of westernizing so now I'll have to core all this since I can't make vassals in India anymore. Can you diplo-annex client states?

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 11, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yashichi posted:

Yes, they're just like any other vassal. Can't you release a vassal and use that? I thought the restriction was only on vassalizing extant nations.

When I go to create subjects it makes protectorates. Does anyone know if increased coring costs means it costs more to diploannex them too?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arzakon posted:

How did you westernize? I've got the whole west coast up to Afganistan now and just solidified the east by vassalizing the remains of a co-belligerent Bengal. Orissa turned on me after that so I'm friendless but huge. There is no way for the Europeans to sneak in now and I took Exploration first (mistake) but have been focusing on rich Pacific provinces instead of going around towards Europe. Even if they colonize next to me there won't they instantly turn it into a trading post and make me unable to colonize?

What idea groups did you take? I took Exploration->Economic->Religious and think I should have taken Diplomatic->Religious. I got overconfident in my converting ability early then took some actual non-poo poo provinces and got hammered by eastern cultures lovely revolt risk tolerance. I'm ok now that I have Religious but missing that extra diplomat is still painful. Where is my embassy?!

I leap frogged the Pacific islands to Peru and westernized off a colonial nation. I went for Africa and all the Indian Ocean islands first to block off the Europeans from the west and then took all the little micronesia islands/Hawaii/Alaska to stop them in the east. They can still use CB's/missions to attack Asian countries but hopefully if they do they won't be able to core them. Portugal has had a mission to take an Indian port for probably 100 years but haven't acted on it or I would probably be dead since they're allied with Spain.

As for ideas, I went exploration-economic-quantity-administrative. I only plan on getting the core cost reduction from administrative though until I have points to spare. I probably would've taken it third if I wasn't so behind on admin tech. I haven't had any problems converting anything with all the missionary modifiers you get from Buddhism though. Not that religious isn't one of the best groups, it just isn't necessary to get to convert any of the territory I've taken so far. Maybe it would be for much more developed Muslim lands.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Decisions#Eastern

I think the Ottomans coring cost reduction means they just run away with the game. I have the second highest development at 839, only one point above Spain. The next highest country is Lithuania with 500. The Ottomans have 1500.

But now my save crashes every time I unpause. Hoping the hotfix deals with it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know, Trujillo. In every single game I've played so far, the Ottomans have failed to take Constantinople -- by 1500. Maybe if their AI isn't lovely they run away with things, but I haven't seen them do anything whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just lucky then.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Got it just under the wire :toot:

I like that points are stretched thinner. You get more reasonable results. If costs weren't increased I probably would've gotten this achievement with enough time left over to annex Asia but it took everything just to take India and keep up in admin tech.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

I dunno if there's a way to straight up add a monarch point bonus to the player bonuses, but you could just do reduced tech/ development/ idea/ stability etc costs (up to 100% if you want), or make advisers completely free. Alternatively you could give your whole tech group a monarch point bonus by adding 'power = x' to it in common/technology.txt.

You could, it would just take some light modding. You can write a modifer that checks for ai = no and then just give that whatever bonuses you want.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

How do i destroy a fort, and do you recommend doing it if it is in the middle of your nation (with only primary religion and culture provinces surrounding it)? Will mothballing half the cost?

Also, any particular reason i should culture shift to Greek as the Ottomans other than as a gimmick?

You go to the buildings tab in the province and hit the x on the fort. It's probably good to keep one or two mothballed forts in your heartland just in case. It does half the cost. Even if it is your religion and culture rebels can still spawn there by event.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Another money sink is being able to cycle your advisors now. It gets really expensive in the late game when their prices go way up. I probably spent around 10-15k ducats trying to get the right advisors. One lovely thing about that though is you can get the same exact type of advisor with the same rank in a row. Was trying to get an inquisitor and I think I got theologian three times in a row and each one costed about 500 ducats. It took about 10 more times to get the inquisitor.

Speaking of gold mines, they're a great way to supercharge a march, especially if you develop it first and then hand it over. Unlike most players, the AI will go way over its forcelimit if they have enough income. I had a pretty big march with a decent gold mine and I would just declare war on a country that was an equal size to them and just watch them steamroll it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

How effective is the ahead of time bonus you get for dip and admin tech anyway? I remember a while ago one of the Paradox devs said it was practically mandatory to be ahead of time in their multiplayer sessions, but I wonder if that's changed now with development.

If you're making a lot from production, trade or especially when both they can be huge bumps for your income. If you're not making that much it won't boost your income by a whole lot so you might be better staying back to save points.

double nine posted:

Hang on, does this mean you can use this process to avoid paying a portion of the diplo costs? 'Cause that'd be

I haven't tried it but I think you'd still have to pay the full cost. This might be not as designed anyways since you can't sell a province to a vassal you're annexing.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

aeglus posted:

The idea of allowing for your armies to be permanent and having a button to have them all merge together again if you ever split them up would be amazing. I just hate having to spend a ton of time after a war reorganizing all my armies back to what they were so being lazy and not bothering wins out.

Yeah, I've gotten to the point where I don't split my armies up even I'm losing a lot of siege effectiveness, or if I do want to carpet siege I'll only split one of my armies up so I know that all the little stacks go back together.

And yeah, the only problem I have with Common Sense is how hosed over the rest of the world is compared to Europe now, especially the Americans. It doesn't make much sense to me that woods or forest should hurt your development if you're a Native American. The complete lack of development they start with doesn't seem right either. Looking at the development minimap you would think they were cavemen.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Wrong thread Lori

Normally I don't like playing countries like France but getting the Big Blue Blob achievement seems like a fun challenge. Was thinking of going administrative for the core costs, but since they moved the first idea group from 4 to 5 it seems like I might just be better off spending all my admin I've got on cores?

Figured I'd take out England early. Put my army up in Scotland but Scotland didn't want to join the war against England so I allied Denmark and brought them in. Put my army in Orkney, they were exiled when the war started, but if you put your troops onto boats, move the boat into a sea zone and then bring the boats back into a province they'll be unexiled. The English army was actually smartly waiting for me in the highlands but I beat them anyways and wiped them over and over. Thinking about taking Scandinavia next since it's pretty much the poorest land in Europe and cheapest to core.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Donald Duck posted:

By the time you've outgrown that you then have to worry about the Europeans coming.

Did the Europeans actually give you any trouble though? I never had to fight a European when I got that achievement.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Someone mentioned that Big Blue Blob might only be possible if you get lucky with PU's. I think it can be done straight up coring. You just need to go admin focus on day one and hire an admin adviser and not tech up. I might have to start my run over though because I was stupid and forgot to lift my guarantee of Scotland so now everything I wanted to do is pushed back 5 years unless I truce break and I've already got a huge coalition against me. I've got about 55 provinces now and I can get to 100 by finishing England, Naples, Aragon, 100%'ing Scotland and then taking as much of Scandinavia as I can get so it's possible. Finding ways to reach the poorest provinces in Europe is the key. That and the Iberian wedding not firing. It fired for me but the Castilian king died the next month and it ended so I got lucky.

And when you see a big coalition forming against you, hit them first so you probably won't have to fight the whole thing at once. This achievement would be a cakewalk if truce timers were still only 5 years.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 18, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Are protectorates worth using or should I just take the land myself? I'm playing as Portugal and trying to decide what to do with East Africa and the Far East.

It can be useful if you want trade power but don't want to deal with the provinces, and especially useful if you westernize as an Asian. China's rich for trade, and if you're western tech you can fight a war against any indian/asian tech country and protectorate them in one war, even the big Chinese ones. It always costs 100 war score. It depends though if you're Portugal. If you have a lot of colonial nations or strong ones eventually they'll get restless if you don't have a big enough army size even if you don't raise tarriffs so taking more land for yourself might be worth it. I think the increased coring costs tilts the scale a little more towards taking protectorates than before, and it doesn't cost a diplo slot though so the right answer is to probably do both.

Since we're reporting bugs here now I went back and looked through my screenshots to see if I caught any. Something strange is going on here with these rebels:

I still don't understand the zone of control system enough to know if it's because they're stuck in a web of forts or something else.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
May have been a bit overzealous in trying to get big blue blob.

Probably the most outnumbered I've ever been. Been trying to never sit on admin so I've been going for a quick annexation of someone when I'm getting close to max but it's caught up with me. This is a trickier achievement than I thought it'd be. Can't go too fast or too slow.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 19, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
:france:

Finished it with some admin to spare and some provinces still coring. At one point there was a huge coalition against me but at the start they sent about 100-150k men into Austria and the rest at me, so I just wiped all the little stacks they sent my way and it gave me enough war score to get off the hook. I only had to give up Ireland which I had taken after their coalition war started and 2 provinces in my center I had already cored so I didn't really lose anything.

The Burgundian inheritance fired near the end and I got a few provinces off that but I probably would've been fine with out. Everything else was directly cored except for Brittany which I diploannexed.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Zurai posted:

Novgorod and Ireland both have RT ideas, I believe. Also maybe some of the Italian minors?

I think it was a stealth nerf but they removed the RT from Ireland's ambition at some point. It's just legitimacy now.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I've seen shots where the Ottomans haven't even bothered to take Byzantium by 1500. How can I get those Ottomans?

Not even a single country wants to coalition them. At first I thought it was good that they were ignoring me and going west but at this point I think if I continued all I would be doing is sitting and waiting till they get a mission to take the last crusader bastions and it'd be over.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Looking at the wiki you can reasonably get to -95% development costs as certain countries in the HRE. Now that the cost doesn't escalate it seems possible to make yourself an OPM that's impossible to kill since every time you raise development in a province the war score cost rises by 1 if it wasn't already before.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Riso posted:

How do you survive and expand as Theodoro?
Either I get eaten by my neighbours or Genoa is saved by the Austrian army marching all the way to the Crimea to kick my rear end, which is utter bullshit.

I got gothic invasion in the last version. It's pretty much impossible to just attack Genoa at the start because Austria thinks you're their highest priority for whatever reason. I thought that might change with the whole "distant war" thing they said they added but it doesn't sound like it. You either have to wait till Genoa loses all of their territory that's in the empire so you can attack them without Austria interfering or wait till Crimea goes to war with the Golden Horde and their ally the Timurids. I don't know if they still ally any more but they used to consistently.

They can't handle the Timurids and eventually they'll lose a battle and their shattered army might end up running to your border so be ready to attack as soon as Crimea looks weak. Keep an eye on their army size in the ledger. With the new forts system it may not even be possible to run around their territory clearing all their armies till they run out of manpower but it's the only way. It depends on how their forts are placed. Whenever Crimea started with a hostile stance to me I would just start over because usually that means they'll attack you really quickly. Sometimes they start off neutral and will just leave you alone. I had to start over probably around 100 times. Out of those 100 times I got 3 good starts that I stuck with past 5 years but maybe something with common sense changed so that it's less luck based.

There might even be some other way to go about it, like trying to run/migrate to another region but I never think like that so I don't know.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Naval combat is in need of a massive overhaul. That said, I think in single player naval and maritime ideas aren't required but in multiplayer if you're an island and you don't go maritime and naval you're going to get killed by one who did. The naval combat bonuses you get from both pretty much guarantee you'll win.

Even though I had more ships, better ships, and a better admiral, it's still crazy that I didn't lose a single ship here even though it was an inland sea against 600 galleys. A few years before I wiped a fleet from an enemy who didn't have naval or maritime but still had twice as many heavy ships as I did.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

Huh even with the buff this last patch I don't really get the appeal of naval, I should look at it more. But I don't understand the maritime hate at all, just the repairs-while-not-docked thing alone completely changes the naval game (and so, colonial and trade games too). And the extra force limits are phenomenal. If I have any aspirations outside of my home continent (which I always do), I nearly always take maritime.

e: oh 10% ship durability is pretty cool, i never noticed that part

I used to think it was bad even for an island but if you're playing an island focused only on your navy I would pick it up. Admirals play an even bigger role in naval fights than generals do on land. If you have an admiral with a higher maneuver than the enemy admiral and the enemy has more ships then some of their ships will fire at each other. Fire is pretty important too. I'm not sure how much shock actually does for an admiral but naval gives you both. Galley combat ability and the prestige boost are pretty useless but 20% heavy ship combat ability and 10% more durability are huge. The maintenance doesn't hurt either. A lot of ducats can be made from trade when you have 1000 light ships and stack naval maintenance modifiers.

It's still really situational. I wouldn't recommend it for island nations if you want to be able to dominate on land, and the AI is pretty easy to catch with their fleets apart anyways so it doesn't matter in singleplayer.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 24, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I thought in a theocracy you don't get a stab hit when your ruler dies? I just got one and I know he wasn't fighting in a battle.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

As far as I know you don't? Are you sure, did you take a screenshot?

I was pretty sure theocracies and republics never got stab hits on leader death, battle or no.

Pretty sure. No events or anything else happened.

E: Now that I think of it, he may have been leading the "siege" of Constantinople. Been sitting there for years waiting for someone with enough troops to siege it and give it to me. I'd have to go over my forcelimits and break myself just to take it by myself. I guess when your theocracy leader dies in a battle or siege you still lose a stab.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 25, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Having to deal with rebels is so frustrating as the knights. The three Byzantine provinces in southern Greece will all spawn their own rebel type. There's Byzantine rebels in Athens and Rhodes, then Morea and Achaea get their own seperatists.

I think it should be more apparent when you're getting hit by a stab hitting peace deal, not just a little (this deal is better than our people expect) at the bottom. The icon should be different. I didn't think that occupying one of my provinces would be enough for the Mamlukes to stab hit me but they did but I didn't expect them to be able to so I just right clicked it without opening it. That on top of the -1 stab from my ruler dying got me killed to rebels. Think it's time to take a break from iron man.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone else noticing weird stuff with the AI just sitting there?

Venice and Castile have been sitting in this province for probably around 3 years now. The next year they're just sitting there and even bring a few more troops to sit there.

Same with the rest of my allies. It's like everyone's AI turned off except for the Ottomans.

Hopefully this is something fixed in the patch or maybe the AI just did the math and realized they weren't going to beat the Ottomans so it's better just to sit and wait till they annex me.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Finally got a knights run off the ground. Only took about 30 restarts.

If anyone tries it, don't bother trying to fight the Ottomans for the first 50 years. Takes some patience even when they look down and easily kicked. They have better units than western until mil tech 15 (although you don't have to wait that long), and their starting ruler/heir/generals are all killers. That and your main ally Poland-Lithuania starts with a 1 mil ruler so they'll be so far behind that you'll be losing battles even when you outnumber the Ottomans 3-1 in favorable ground. Just try to scare them off by allying with as many big countries as you can after you take Byzantium till you're ready to take them on and build trust with countries like Austria and Poland in the meantime.

Lost one war to the Ottomans early on but luckily I was able to just give them Bessarabia before they got too much war score. The next one could've gone either way. It was just me and Austria against the Ottomans at the start. They were at war with half the middle east and central Asia but as usual as soon as you try to take advantage of that they end the war and come home. Poland didn't want to join because they were too much in debt and even though I gave them my life savings of 400 ducats the number they were in debt didn't change according to the call to war screen but eventually they got out of it and joined just in time.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If anyone wants to get an achievement where you start as a tiny country dependent on a big power do it before this next patch. Allies are going to be more critical of your army size/force limits and won't want to ally you if you already have a great power ally by the sounds of it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Took this option a few times because why not be ruled by a Turk and then crusade them.

I guess this is true if you think of my country as one big bastion?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yashichi posted:

Aristocratic is still garbage, I'm surprised by all these recommendations

I can see why you'd think that if you haven't kept up with the changes in the game. It used to be garbage. Aristocratic is great for hordes or any country that has a cavalry ability bonus in their national ideas.

People were trash talking economic earlier and even thought it's getting nerfed in the next patch but I still think it's a top tier group, especially now that administrative is one too since they both give you -1 Interest per annum. If you're Catholic and can use the papal action to lower it down by 1 more or if you're Hindu and can pick the deity that reduces it by 1 you pay barely any interest at all on loans. It works even better if you're Catholic and either Austria, Hansa, Tuscany or Hamburg since they get a -1 interest in their national ideas, although the lowest you can get it to is .25 out of 4. When you get the national bank event from economic you can make your loan size equal to 2 years of your income. If you've got a decent economy that should be a huge amount. I'm not sure how effective this still is as a way of industrializing with the changes to buildings/manufactories but you could probably still get pretty crazy results by doing this. Last game I did this I had roughly the territory of the Ottoman Empire but 1,100 land FL by the end because I could take cheap loans to build conscription centers everywhere and was making ~600 ducats a month in income by having manufactories in every province that were built from cheap loans along with nearly every other building, but that was before common sense. I'm not familiar enough with the new buildings to know if it's still doable but it probably is.

Or even if you don't use it for building, it's still really good for raising tens of thousands of ducats with a few pushes of a button in an emergency and it'll barely cost you anything per month compared to the huge sums of ducats you're getting.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 27, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Reformed Tercio - 2/2 Fire, 2/2 Shock, 3/3 Morale
Gustavian Infantry - 3/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 3/2 Morale
Highlanders Infantry - 2/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 4/2 Morale

Tercio is actually 2/2 2/3 3/3. Since it has better morale and shock defense compared to the other two and all units in the fight take morale damage at all times even if they aren't fighting in the front line usually I go with tercio. It's especially better if you're fighting in terrain with a lower combat width. It also depends on what kind of generals you have. If you have all shock generals you don't want to be using a unit that's more fire than shock.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 29, 2015

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Was easier to break free from Hansa than I thought it would be. :denmark:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
E: Never mind

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'm seeing a LOT more wipes using the beta patch. Anyone else notice the same? In situations where armies would've retreated before they're just gone.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Don't remember reading about this one in the patch notes:

I was a little annoyed because I was way over my forcelimits and had some tiny merc regiments I couldn't consolidate but couldn't move anywhere to be able to disband them.

This has to be the biggest comeback I've made in my ~1000 hours (yikes) of playing this game. Don't think I've ever been down to -87 war score and come back and won.

I attacked the Pope because his and Aragon's armies were running shattered through my territory and I thought I could wipe them and then turn around and beat Milan and Siena who were also allied to the Pope but I couldn't wipe them in time and was fighting with my 15k against their 45k. Aragon's army never left Italy even though they were getting torn up in Iberia by Castile and France but eventually I white peaced them out and began to grind down the rest of them. I had to ignore two stab hitting peace offers and right when they were about to be able to send the one that would've ended me I retook my province they were occupying. A tip for anyone playing in the HRE: don't underestimate the little free cities. Countries that before common sense would've been able to raise 3k troops like Siena are running around with 12k armies.

Another thing I noticed is I don't think I've ever seen rebels run for another province instead of besieging the one they're in before till now. They spawned in Lucca and ran straight for Firenze.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

I always miss out on joining coalition wars against my hated enemies because I never notice that one is going on. Is there a way to reliably notice when a coalition is forming without constantly checking the ledger/mapmode?

Go to message settings and make "when another country joins a coalition" set to pop-up.

The beta patch was hotfixed:

15/07/01: Updated with a fix for broken colonization/exploration and early reformation. Extra cost for primitives to develop and cost for native buildings were also reduced.

• Locked thread