Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

VDay posted:

It's brutal in the early and mid game too. Taking a developed country's provinces basically means you're going to be behind admin tech for a decade. With how much more important admin points are compared to dip in the early game, I'm having a real hard time not taking Influence as my first idea group no matter which nation I'm playing. Diplo-annexing just seems so much better than taking territory directly early on.

Not necessary,

I've personally cored every single province you see here except for Urbino and I have two admin idea groups completed. I've also spent over 1k admin points in development while waiting for truces to cool. Administrative is really good right now, not to mention how much it saves your manpower. Also I haven't gotten Influence over Diplomatic since Common Sense, diplo is just simply better than influence right now imo unless you're somewhere with a ton of wrong culture and wrong religion lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Oh god Russia what happened to you :norway:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Mans posted:

So it seems like Economy and Administrative have entered the "why didn't you unlock this" metagame that Quantity previous had.

At least from personal experience it seems that the bonuses of all three put together let you play on a completely different level from anyone else.

I've played a couple of games with Economic as one of my first three ideas and a couple where I didn't, and I still think Economics is not that good. Administrative, Innovative and Humanist are all better than Economic. Depending on which part of the world you are in Religious and Expansion are also better. I'll break down each of their ideas:

+10% National tax modifier - Wow it's nothing.
-20% Build cost - A one time expense, who cares
+0.10 Yearly inflation reduction - You can just hire a master of mint if you got inflation, anything less than 10% inflation is nothing
-1 Interest per annum - Whatever
-0.05 Monthly autonomy change - The best part of the idea group
-10% Land maintenance modifier - The second best part, rather than giving a tiny increase to tax or production it's better to increase any of the trade modifiers or decrease your army/advisor expenses
+10% Production efficiency - Well this is better than tax at least
−20% Development cost - Development is underwhelming, it's certainly not something you use your monarch power on unless you are nearly capped out

At the end of the day 'slightly making more money' isn't good enough to spend 2800 admin power on when you could've spent those on Administrative or Innovative.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

No the +10% never makes you a decent change, early game mid game end game or whatever game. If you have a a monthly tax income of 3.00 ducat then taking a +10% tax efficiency doesn't make it 3.30, it will more likely make it into 3.12. If the +10% production was goods produced and not production efficiency then it would've been better.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

DeeEmTee posted:

Economic's big draws imo are the 20% artillery combat ability and 5% discipline policies that come with offensive and quality. I like it a lot as my second admin group.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, Economic's best points isn't actually what it offers but the national policies it unlocks. But still it means it should no where near be your first admin idea group (or even second imo)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

Huh, i don't understand why are you loving administrative ideas so much. Can't really see any great bonuses in there? And quantity also seems bad if you already have plenty of manpower, compared to other military ideas that will make you win more battles and lose less men.

The -25% core cost also affects time spent coring. The two mercenary ideas it gives makes it amazing from early game for having mercenaries to push you over the edge in a war to end game where you can just have standing mercenary infantries. +10% goods produced is a better money maker than +10% tax and production combined. The -10% admin tech cost means with the idea group fully unlocked you are spending 132 admin power less to tech up admin each time which really adds up if administrative is your first admin idea.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

VDay posted:

Well yes if you only make 3 ducats a month from tax income then the tax income bonus isn't super great.

You are really missing my point just because I used 3 ducat as an example instead of saying 30 or 300.
Default:

With a tax advisor

It's nothing

quote:

In my Commonwealth game right now getting a 10% bonus to tax income and a 10% reduction in army maintenance alone would get me an extra 10 ducats a month. That's in 1602. If you think that's a completely worthless bonus to get on top of having cheaper buildings to then spend all that extra money on, quicker autonomy decrease on newly conquered provinces, and an inflation reduction so that I can hire a prestige advisor instead and have better fighting armies then I don't know what to tell you and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you purely wanted money, there are other ideas for it that also give useful bonuses.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

:toot:

Imagine I pressed the right button and The Holy Trinity achievement popped up here

Pretty much everyone revolted in North America by 1700. Meanwhile south America is completely filled out and still loyal to Portugal and Spain.

I think the hallmark of a good run is creating a map where you take one good look at it before burning it up. I recommend doing a Papal State run if you got Common Sense, they're in a really strong position right now.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Node posted:

Can you tell me how you started out as the Poop for the Holy Trinity achievement? And how you made sure to secure all the three orders before they were gobbled up by their neighbors? That is the achievement I'm looking at doing soon and I can't quite figure out how I am going to save the TO from Poland and Brandenburg.

It's definitely a timed mission. I started out allying Austria so I can get into the HRE and have free rein to conquer within the HRE. Just note at some point Austria is going to get a mission to claim northern italy so be prepared to face Austria sooner then later and to lose the alliance. For me I just abandoned the alliance when they were getting piled on because holy loving poo poo everyone loves to blockade Rome because Rome itself is worth a bunch of warscore even as a non co belligerent and you are not going to be able to field a navy early on to protect it. I also started out allying Castile, the idea was to use them to help in the war against Aragon for Naple's lands but as it turns out me and Castile never managed to be in the same war against Aragon/Naples. Still it worked out in the end when Castile was occupying Aragon so I declared on Naples and managed to take like two provinces (because italian provinces are expensive as gently caress both in warscore and ae) while Castile nullified the vassalage; Castile would not come for an offensive war against an independent Naples so I ended up conquering the rest by myself with no help from Castile or Austria. Luckily in my game Austria and Hungary were rivals and I recommend restarting the game until they start out as rivals because Hungary was mucho excelencia in fighting Austria and Ottoman.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Knights since they are easy to get to and you can vassalize them anytime in any of your wars against Venice. TO and LO got buffed this patch by the virtue of having more provinces so they won't die super fast like they did pre common sense. But it is a timed goal so you just have to expand as fast as you can so you can go north and also protect yourself against Austria/France who get a mission to go after Italy. Keep an eye out on TO and LO as if they get eaten up you got 50 years to fight their conqueror and make them release them back.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Revoking march status is -200 relations

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Rulers who die in battle still take a stab hit for theocracies.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Poor Ottoman, their troops were stuck in some lovely arid desert province I gave them when we fought the mamluks. But it is partially their own fault when they declared war on Venice not soon after before getting rid of that province. Sadly Venice settled for a loving white peace despite handily winning the war.

But man what is with this luck that I have to deal with, Castile had no problem forming Spain by inheriting Aragon and Naples, and Austria inherited Burgundy and was one reform away from disallowing internal HRE wars when the reformation hit.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I would rather Kingdoms not get a free diplomat, just when Aristocratic is looking appealing and Influence not being picked over Diplomatic for almost every single game

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

quote:

- Increased cost to develop from +1% to +2% per existing development.
- Development & Administrative efficiency is now gained 20% at a time around 1630, 1700 and 1760, for a total of 60% (up from 50%).
:vince:

quote:

- Horse Artillery policy is now +10% artillery power (down from +20%).
- 'Organized Construction' economic idea is now -10% build cost (down from -20%).
But why, Economics wasn't even that great

quote:

- In order to demand provinces you must now be able to make them your core (if not already), either directly or eventually through other provinces you are taking at the same time.
P-phew thank god my Tunis run is already underway but those other achievements just got a whole lot harder

quote:

- Lowered Aggressive Expansion impact when taking core of vassal.
Wow wasn't expecting a change to make blobbing super easier

quote:

- No single entry of a peace treaty can now cost more than 300 diplomatic power (for example, releasing a huge junior PU partner than no longer cost more than 300 DIP).
Goodbye Lith and Aragon PUs, that 999 cost kept me away but now you're hosed

quote:

- Papal AI is now less likely to be militaristic.
RIP Pope Italy every single game

quote:

- HRE mapmode now displays Free Cities and should be much clearer about what provinces are actually in the Empire and who is Emperor/Elector.
Is there also a way to display who is a heretic prince in the map mode too?

quote:

Rank 2 countries now get +1 diplomat
:smith: should've made a comment about this earlier

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

You know what, instead of a +1 diplomat at kingdom and +1 leader at empire I think it would be cooler if you get +1 free national policy slot at kingdom and at empire rank.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That would mean giving huge countries +2MP/month as a reward for being powerful. That'd be real dumb.

How is it two free mp, an unused free national policy slot wouldn't magically turn into a monarch power boost. It's more dumb right now that most national policies get completely unused and unlooked at it because they are not worth the mp drain and that aristocratic finally looks attractive. This change would keep +1 diplomat and +1 leader ideas attractive and also let players experience national policies that may not be +5% discipline.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I doubt Castile or Portugal would actually join in on an offensive war against you unless they are your rivals for some reason.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

France loses her vassals but this frees up her diplorelation slots for allies. Overall after a few games France is stronger now.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Nope, though that would be amusing. It's more for getting the Emperor off your case about expanding into the HRE provinces in northern Italy and the decent bonuses from reforms. You can form a unique Kingdom of God nation by conquering Italy which gives some more bonuses, doesn't change NIs.

I'm trying for the Holy Trinity achievement, not sure how I'll manage to vassalize the TO and LO, I think that'll be the trickiest part?

I made some posts about that achievement:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I too am like wow with a million people posting in this thread

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Here's a very cool feature i like but a million people posted about it in this thread and it's just like, wow

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

so I started in 1444 as a custom nation owning all the franch core provinces and what is with this Brittany, why are there bretons in my perfect world

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

28 single male, looking for a male partner to hold my hands in Europa Universalis IV (4) as I try to beat the turks with my 100 provinces custom nation the roman empire reborn. You need to know which admin idea group to take first (hint: it's not Economics). Then maybe we can JO or whatevas

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

As I sit down for another enjoyable evening of EU4 in my bath robes I pour a can of red bull into my wine glass and swirl it a bit. The game is already loaded but I like to let Guns Drums and Steel loop around a few dozen times to get me into the mood. While I wait I start browsing the EU4 thread on SA.com to see what everyone is talking about tonight. *sigh* Another post about someone's nation designed custom nation with 20% discipline and 50% tech cost whining about how they just lost to Milan by 1451. This makes it the two thousand three hundred and seventy sixth post of the day about this subject. If avatar changes were free I would change my avatar to a rebel flag by now.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Why the hell does this drat centre of reformation keep targeting my provinces instead of the million other non reformed provinces around it. They haven't stopped since I gotten the provinces, it's like, wow.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Most achievements have a not playing as a released nation clause though.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Good evening, I bring you news from across the Channel... *bites down on knuckle*

An ragtag army of Turks, Berbers and Arabs have come onto our shores and
*tears visibly forming in eyes* London has now fallen

(I don't know how these idiots managed to get pass the british navy or land and then survive their standing forces :iiam:)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Freudian posted:

Vicky2.jpg

The funniest thing to me about this is how that guy only scored 2nd place

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

In the grim dark world of 1670 there is only war and people standing around with their giant stacks taking attrition for no reason

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The former #1 world leader for the past few centuries, now a subservient to the hungarian throne.. what.

I've fought France three times and only managed to white peace two of them and get three provinces off of them in the third one. Fucker is just impossible to breach with muslim units even though GB, austria and milan was all up in their rear end too. I've lost like 300k men to stackwipes, not morale depleted and injured stacks, but completely healthy full stacks would get morally annihilated in the first ten days of combat unless there was some light skinned people also fighting on the same side. Thank god for stackwipes partially going back to the manpower pool. And now the centuries old Tunisian dream of ripping apart their rival France is all but gone as they are under a PU of a nation no one powerful cares about and Milan is the junior PU partner of Poland who is my rival. :qq:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Trade is probably required if oyu aren;t western though, since you can't form trade companies, you'll need the merchants it gives. Take plutocratic and expansion for the extra merchants they give too.

If you westernize you can form trade companies just fine as long as you're not on the same continent (so the african trade companies are a no go unless you move your capital to europe) and you don't have a land connection from your capital to them.

You can also just beat up natives and independant CNs in the new world to form your own CN for the free merchant and trade power boost regardless of if you westernize.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

You should let the event revolutionary rebels spawn and hope they teleport to your capital

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's not that hosed, just give in and let protestant be the league religion and convert to protestant.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's alot more attractive to disable the papacy as the papal states now since papal states can not have papal influence. After 1650 the papacy serves no further purpose for them.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

With the rival system you just gotta be smart about it and by smart I mean making sure your relations with the other great powers are positive. I think the AI just checks to see current and potential rivals and sees oh hey here's a guy I have -45 relations with so let's rival him instead, all while not checking distance.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Wait for them to lose their free city status, that's how you take a free city if you can't handle their allies and the emperor's allies

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

He's not """"screwed""""""""

It's very confusing the way it is displayed and worded but the english civil war is meant to fire after 1600, there is no avoiding it.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is culture conversion ever worth it? Every time I think about doing it, I see how many diplo points and time it takes and figure it's not worth the effort. Humanism to reduce the threshold seems like the better investment for a heavily multiethnic empire.

There is only one area worth culture converting and it is the netherlands so they stop spawning 40 rebel stacks

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Everybody keeps complaining about and referring to late game Ming but has anybody actually fought late game Ming or are you just theorycrafting how hard or annoying they can be? They're a loving pushover unless they westernized. Having actually taken the game to 1821 a few times post forts patch and fighting lucky nations Ming each time, they're many times easier and less tedious to fight now then pre forts patch. You turn the speed up to 5, and move your huge stacks on each fort until they're down and move on to the next one, assault if it's a crappy inner fort or siege with a siege leader if it's big fort. There's no tedium involved unless you find playing the actual game tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Absolutely no way imo, mega France and mega Russia, especially Russia, takes much, much longer to fight. Fighting 1700s lucky mega Russia is incomparable to fighting Ming. I would understand if the poster boy for tedious late game war was Russia but I just don't understand why everyone mentions Ming of all nations.

• Locked thread