Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I've been catching up on what the new dlc will bring and uh apparently the english channel will be a strait now.

It's too bad the fleur-de-lis will still never fly in london because the ai would probably never consider the english isles as a priority. I'm guessing there will be alot of scotland formed GB because of england suiciding their land army into france 7 out of 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Actually it won't. Wiz said they had to take it out precisely because the AI couldn't deal with it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mare-nostrum-without-the-kent-strait.917505

Of course it couldn't and wouldn't, a shame though we didn't get a chance if only for a week before it's patched out just to see the blue and dark red clown cars run all up in her majesty's carpets

I've always wondered if england just not existing would ever make a difference in the world to anyone other than the player when you don't have a vastly superior navy and since you're not a robot with eyes all the world you get your dumb navy and maybe even trade fleet caught out by the royal navy and curse out loud saying loving england why are you even in this war in the first place why do you care that I'm attacking crete

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 4, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Ooooooooo a slider for corruption. Very good. A couple more sliders and we are one step closer to reimplementing magistrates

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm playing fezzan for the fezzan corridor achievement and heh you can fund yourself just by raiding

Which is good because holy ssssssssssssshhhhittt fezzan's income is sad and bad.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I haven't played since common sense so imagine my surprise playing as a barbar pirate when castille and portugal can just match their army down my throat.

Hey fellas, aren't you at war with France? Why are you down here.......

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The Iberian Peninsula's worst nightmare coming true

Uh, the Fezzan Corridor achievement looks like it is going to take way longer than I expected since having 90%+ on those trade nodes means you would have to do something about the upstream pull from the colonizers and France is already lookin real scary

Also turns out raiding for slaves AND piracy makes people really, really upset at you. I'm sure my god heir will get assassinated within 3 years of taking the crown

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 7, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Think god regicide is removed for now, I get super nervous every time some random colony across the world gets their spy caught and their spy network drops to 75. So many colonies using their diplomat on you because their overlord hates you and they got nothing better to do with their stupid diplomats and time.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

What the hell is a "Great Republic"? As in what are its bonuses

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Oh I thought they got a special roman republican government type but I guess that's a bit too OP for the great 17th century roman empire.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Redchaostry posted:

Goons I need some advice. I am trying for an achievement run for For Odin! and First Come, First Serve.

Hey I'm doing the same run right now too and my run is into the late 1700s. I don't know about whatever example youtube run you're talking about though but here's my advice for your situation: If you can you wanna ally either France or Spain for now, ideally France. For me I WANTED to ally France but they rivaled me as soon as they discovered me and even declared on me a decade later even though I had Spain allied. If either Spain or France already rivaled you it is very important that you start finding allies on Europe both for defensive purposes right now and offensive purposes later.

Check out how many transports Spain and Portugal has and if your army can more than handle that then sure I guess try for a war on New Granada but just note it will not be a quick war by any means because you will need enough ticking warscore to overcome the length of the war modifier since right now you're not capable of assaulting their homelands.

Again I advise finding an ally and start focusing towards the north because you will need to start working on the For Odin! part of your run because it will take quite awhile to core and convert all those stuff and you can only conquer that area bit by bit because of the aggressive expansion stuff and spaghetti alliances up in Scandinavia. Once you have a foothold in Britain it will be easier to find allies in the inner parts of Europe like Austria because the distant border penalty will be gone.

Speaking of For Odin! and First Come, First Serve run and re:Spain is weak chat from yesterday, I've played two games on this patch and I don't think Spain is that weak. Spain is better colonizer than France and even if France encroaches on Iberia at some point she stops since they are easier fishes to focus on around the world and in Europe and then Spain gets alot stronger with all the colonies she starts later on. Right now my Spain has almost double the land forcelimit and income than France and let's not compare their navy. Though man for man a French is still stronger than a Spaniard because of France's national idea but that has always been the case since EU4 v1.0.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

They stay the same

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I finished my First Come, First Serve and For Odin! run :toot:
I felt like it took long as hell too

For Odin? :confuoot:

On the first week of the 18th century after four centuries America was finally great. Hopefully it'll remain great for the next four centuries and never forget its roots

The State of the World: First with Europe

What is amusing to me is that Muscovy/Russia does not exist in any capacity anymore in this timeline. I looked at the timeline and it seems like Muscovy formed Russia and was doing the usual Russia stuff of getting big but then it looked in the 16th century before I arrived to europe they got their asses handed to them by the hordes who also forced them to release Novgorod. Then eastern europe politiks featuring Poland and Lithuania, who btw were both enemies with each other by the time I arrived to Europe in the 16th century, got Sweden and Novgorod wrecked in the crossfire. The Livonian Order then played the role of a looter in a riot and absorbed the remainder of the weaken Sweden and Novgorod in separate solo wars at the end of the 17th century.

Poland also used to be much bigger than what you see here but once Lithuania turned revolutionary-y it began to BEAT THE LIVING CRAP out of Poland and everyone else piled on them to make them release pretty much everything. Poland actually used to own all of turkey and the ottomans were exiled to egypt for like almost two centuries. You can see from my mouseover some of the remnants of the polish holdovers in turkey. Folks who quit playing before the 1700s really miss out on the crazy territorial exchanges that can happen near the end.

The State of the World: Asia

As far as I remember Ming exploded into like 7 different large chinese states and China was a mess for a long, long time. Also half a screen to the right is where tourists can go to see the capital of the "Great" Britain.

The diplomacy map

Spain, formerly known as Castile, and Portugal were my first european allies because France was a jerk and a bully who declared war on me. After I own a part of Ireland I became allies with Austria. At some point Portugal became the defender of faith and got in the way of my god given right to conquer Norway. Then once I expanded into South Africa, Spain decided we're enemies for life. In the end Portugal helped me out in a grand total of zero wars and Spain helped me once in that defensive war against France.

After Spain broke up with me I allied with Lithuania. Austria helped me in every single european war except the ones against england/GB so they were super awesome. Lithuania only helped me in two wars: the decisive war against France that saw me take all of her american holdings in Alaska, California and North Carolina and also the 8 provinces including london they had in england; and the decisive ten year war against Spain and Portugal that saw them lose all of their holdings in south america. The help didn't come cheap either with Lithuania since they were in so much debt that I had to give them 3k ducats to join me against France and then 5k ducats to join me against Spain. In fact it was during that ten year war against Spain that Lithuania dropped out of the war and shortly became revolutionary. Finally in the year 1818 Lithuania decided to start a revolutionary war against Persia who was allied to Austria so I had to drop the alliance with them when they asked me to come help.

These are the leading powers of the world heading into Victoria III

Notice the little brown strain at the bottom? Why that's Tunis! For whatever reason Spain decided to leave Tunis with 3 provinces and then for whatever weird rear end reason the rest of europe also left them alone for the last three centuries. Just look how much raiding has come out of these three provinces:

That's alot of goddamn slaves taken

random bonus shitshot

It must be humiliating to be French, not only did you lose Paris to the Americans but then they come back and told you to give them your lunch money or they'll dump you into the toilet again and you know what the French did? They give their lunch money.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 16, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Now play as a non european nation and see if you feel the same way about the second and third point

Sailors is mainly a mechanic to punish a landlocked nation who just got their first port to keep them from throwing up a navy bigger than GB within a few years, and intentionally or unintentionally there is a rounding bug where if you don't produce atleast 120 sailors a years you don't get any sailors at all.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 16, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Note that not everyone starts with 15 states either. If you're a duchy then you dont get plus five for being a kingdom. If you got a nonstandard government like native, tribe or horde then you don't get the plus five. You could start out with a max of five states in an area full of crappy development provinces.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

As for corruption, it is a mechanic specific designed to hurt the nations who are already suffering with monarch point shortage. A european nation can keep their rooting corruption slider at zero for the whole game from 1444 to 1821 and they'll end the game with their corruption at <1% for 99% of the game because positive stability gives -0.02% corruption a month and being ahead in admin and diplo tech gives -0.005% each per month. A non European nation will absolutely not be ahead in either tech at any point and those point starved nations will not have the extra admin points to spurge on positive stability above 1.

The main contributors to corruption are wrong religion and "unbalanced tech": wrong religion is basically a thing that only happens outside of europe and unbalanced tech is when one tech is 3 levels or more above the lowest level tech. A common strategy as a non european was to forgo investing too much into mil ideas until you westernize since each of the early levels are very, very important to get an edge out of your neighbors.

Spending your budget on keeping corruption at a manageable level means budget that isn't going into advisors or advisor singular. So now you have this situation where corruption hurts the nations that are already monarch points starved while being this thing you can ignore and that gives a free +20 prestige or +1 stability every now and then for european nations. Basically it's whoever that designed this mechanic saying to those uppity startity nations around the world reminding them what the title of this game is and to slow down because their snail pace before was deemed unacceptable

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 16, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Poil posted:

Despite its flaws and annoyances I still like corruption more than protectorates.

Protectorates owns, it's like having the HRE vassal swarm without being the emperor AND no matter how big a country is you can still force protectorate them

Corruption on the other hand is a mechanic that exists to punish and the only reason it is called corruption is because 'Here is a tax on non europeans because someone playing as a filthy non european beat me in the office multiplayer session' is a bit too wordy

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 17, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

A few questions from the latest build.

Before warring somebody under the pretense that they're busy fighting somebody else, check to make sure they are actually fighting. If you look at their ledger and nothing is going down then they're not very likely to be actually participating in the war. If you look at their diplomacy map and see there's no natural border between them and their enemy, and none of the nations inbetween them are granting military access to anyone in the war, it is highly likely they are not actually participating in the war.

As for why you're losing, that's easy: you're already identified the problem yourself when you said you started each battle with morale down, that is a sign that the other side has a higher max morale. Whenever you fight someone pause the game and look the battle screen of an ongoing fight and mouseover all the numbers and icons to see what you and they have. The Ottomans are an absolute beast because of their national ideas but in terms of military bonuses they have a little more discipline than most other people (unless you rejected the janissary) and that's it. On the otherhand Lithuania gets a +1 leader shock and Poland gets the amazing +15% morale bonus. If either of them have more military ideas, especially Defensive and you don't, than you then you're pitching out of your league.

All the changes have slowly made morale to be more important than any other combat stats which somehow made the Defensive idea group the best offensive idea group

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Fffuck if this was literally any other nation I would've picked this option in a heartbeat

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I doubt it's going to happen but it's pretty weird that he even considers doing something like that, makes it seem like there's a pretty big discrepancy between what the developer(s) and the players want from the game.

They got this good core game that alot of people enjoy playing where you can pick any nation in history of this time period and set your own personal goals for it, like you can make England take on the continent or unite central america and invade the continent or unite India and push out the europeans or take a horde and be genghis khan 2.0. But apparently all this Was Not The Way The Developers Intended us to all play so they want to change this and it's all very baffling.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

cool and good posted:

Y'all are getting trolled hard on the fabricate claim thing. Did you really think they were serious about 1600?

Y'all are getting trolled hard on the corruption thing. Did you really think they were serious about adding a mechanic that just punishes you in addition to overextention and wrong religion AND have it based on 'unbalanced tech'?

Also no one was commenting on 1600, if you don't understand they're commenting gating a basic expansion mechanic behind tech, which fucks over you know, the countries who have a slower teching speed

Fintilgin posted:

Having a monarch with strong diplo skills and good national diplo strength would be as important as a high military skill. It would also make things more dynamic and interesting IMO.

You lost me at this part since there is nothing dynamic or interesting relying on rng for your monarch. If anything it would just cause stress since there is no way to influence what stats your monarch gets.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Rather than this garbage about claims I feel like it would more interesting if they spent time overhaulng the whole monarch system. For starters something like multiple the current monarch scale by ten so for example instead of a monarch being born with 1 to 6 points in each stat, they could have 1 to 50. Expanding the numbers allow much more interesting possibilities in events and decisions. Now you can introduce a general style of improving or deteriorating a stat throughout the ruler's rule, like: being in peace, stable and no unrest can increase your admin, having good relationships with other countries and a good naval tradition can increase your diplo, and having good army tradition and well maintained armies and forts can increase your mil. Having more numbers to use would also mean you can now have events, decision and policies where for example you exchange a monarch stat for a short term benefit, like lower your adm by 1 for a ten year tax boost, or exchange a stat for another. Policies can also not be purely negative in terms of monarch stats but also increase them for a reversal like for a bad example, increasing your mil by lowering your navy morale and ship durability.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I like how he adds the eclipse as if he's disappointed by the fanbase

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's pretty impressive what Lakshminarasimhamall managed despite being severely outnumbered and FOUR military techs down. In fact I bet he was solely responsible for his nation's explosive growth before I interfered; this was a massive united India extended westward into 70% of persia's cores

help

Can you like,, not????
It's amazing to me that a small nation I purposely released and saved because I like their flag managed to have any influence on the most powerful country in the world.

Being a world conqueror has completely drained everything out of me so I don't have much to say

Except good borders if I say so myself

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Threaten war is the best. Not that it is a particularly effective way to get provinces unless you only really wanted a specific one or two, but it is just such an amusing way to bully someone.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

It's always good to see Brittany punch above their weight.

Those were Provence's provinces if you mean that Brittany beat France.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Galleys are useless pass the first hundred years even in inland seas. They were useless before but they're extra useless now that there's a combat width in naval battles.

Just peace out and come back in a few decades for the Granada provinces, you got time.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

No, keep your heart pure

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

If they don't want any provinces that they highlighted as interests for who knows what reason, they would be happy with receiving jack poo poo

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

You can take me out of Europe but you can't take the Europe out of me!! (someone tell me why I am in so many continental wars while westernizing)

Also if you squint hard check out that Lan Na of mine; I've actually found the best way to utilize Threaten War besides being a lunch money bully and that is conquering the terrible, terrible +2 attrition southeast asia area without a. single. war. Lan Na was 2 provinces when I force vassalized them and I haven't attacked anyone in that area ever since.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You can transfer occupation of any province you feel like, but unless they actually want the province, they won't accept it in a peace deal. Which is really frustrating, because they won't transfer occupation back to you even though they don't want the province.

Unfortunately that's not how it works, because what an AI country expects from a war isn't based on what they actually want, but rather on their contribution and how much you're getting out of it.

I know how it works and what I said is also exactly how it works. It's an opening move I've used again and again in trying to get a great start as Austria for my finished WC run, which is promise land to Hungary for fighting Venice. They have Ragusa and that province that begins with a D as their strategic interests. I always let them do the legwork of fighting all of venice's stupid trade league friends and that sends their contribution sky high so they want more than what I get in the peace deal. Yet each and every time as soon as I transfer siege occupation of the two provinces they wanted, it turns out that they don't actually want to annex those two provinces and what ends up happening is I get two of venice's provinces, hungary gets nothing, and hungary's trust didn't go down.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 26, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

WC is actually harder now in the sense that the old distant overseas coring cost was 25% and now everything is 50%.

But I did my world conquest run on this patch so it certainly is still possible.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

For starters you need better, bigger allies than a bunch of free cities

Every game inside the hre should start off with sucking up to austria

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Happy 420 Day, remember to tell your 420 that you love her!

I loved D&T in eu3 so I'm so jumping on this m&t bandwagon like whoa. I tried to give it a short blind test run with the d&t poster child, now known as THE EMPIRE OF ROMANS in M&T from the start but the new changes are pretty overwhelming. Not too overbearing though and interesting enough that I would want to try a deeper look with a less unstable country.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Judging by that screenshot it looks like there is a France as a single state to the west to represent it but I wonder how the mod will simulate France's conflicts and growths if it does at all. Speaking of which, does it not have Denmark or more importantly, the Ottomans? Having nothing outside of HRE also means it can't simulate the Netherlands or Venice's trades that well.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Actually it's like 0.003 ducats a month but the engine rounds it down to zero. Which is a shame because you miss out on like 0.7 ducat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

As someone who did an austrian world conquest I can testify that humanism is not necessary as I never took it and never had a want to take it

• Locked thread