Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just bought 2 previous expansion packs at full price last night so I was "up to date" for today :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GreyPowerVan posted:

If you asked in the thread, they almost always discount previous DLC when releasing a new one. Sorry :(

It's ok Wiz deserves a tip for putting up with the Paradox forums.

Alternative answer:
Wiz, put the extra money I paid into making the CKII converter better it's current state makes me feel like my guts were flayed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pooned posted:

Right now it feels a lot easier to just take provinces without anyone caring.

Edit: And that is a little worrisome, feels way easier.

Easier to take, harder to core, from my understandings.

Also anyone recommend a good non-euro country to play? I've never played outside of europe. I think I tried once as Japan, looked at the Daimo system, got confused, and went back to europe. Is south america fun now with el dorado ? How is China and asia now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've never made a custom nation before. I'm playing as an elective monarchy in south america, Cuzco. The problem is, I'm constantly running out of legitimacy trying to win elections as it seems every bloody country on the map, royal marriage or not, some how has a say over my monarch election. Is this working as intended? Reading up on it only told me it was a unique government for Poland/Commonwealth. It seems weird that non-vassal or non-married countries have the ability to influence my elections. How can I stop this? How is it determined? Did I break my game with this government?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bort Bortles posted:

That is the "feature" of the Polish Elective Monarchy; you are stuck with it.

How does it work though exactly, like anyone of my culture group? Any neighbour? Anyone at all? Who gets to vote? And are they spending their own legitimacy to do so?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Higsian posted:

They send a diplomat to boost their chances and anyone can do it. It costs them nothing but the diplomat's time and they get a % chance to boost their election points each month based on their diplomatic rep and relations with you. They get a bonus of monarch points and prestige if their candidate wins. I think the best strategy for the elective monarchy is to just let it happen and take whichever candidate wins.

EDIT: Nothing bad happens to you when another country's candidate wins btw, you just gain their dynasty for the duration of their rule and they otherwise act like a normal monarch. They tend to have worse stats, but beyond that there's no dire need to boost your own candidate.

The warning made it sound like I'd be a lesser partner in a PU or something. Ok well then I won't worry so much, let the best candidate win.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any sort of interface to sort provinces by development cost? I always want to upgrade the lowest hanging fruit but it can be a pain hunting around.

Also I think as a bit of a turtle player I'm wasting way too much on development.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My Cuzco game is going great. I've got most of the Andes united and castile and great britain just showed up. A bit alarming england is GB in the 1500. How do those colonizers afford to develop so much? They seem to build their colonies up to at least development 10 upon colonizing while most of my provinces are under 10 and everything is so expensive to upgrade in mountains, 90% of my provinces are loving mountains. Also every tech I buy is about 1400 points, and I'm diplo-annexing people left and right. It's hard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There needs to be massive ugly border penalties.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to cheat or save edit change your government? I really wanted a government that had the parliament and thought Poland's stupid elective monarchy would do it. I'm about to westernize as Cuzco and figured I'd celebrate with a proper government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's the mid 1600's, I as cuzco have westernized and taken a bunch of Portal's colonial land now I can see the world. Europe is... interesting. GB formed very early and have Ireland and scotland and part of western france. Burgundy and Brittany are both about the same size as france, which is nearly landlocked other than one port. Bohemia is big, COMMONWEALTH formed and is absolutely massive and expanding east. Spain formed very early too and are allies with GB, so both my colonial adversaries in south america are allies and the two top countries.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So in my customised Cuzco game I never saw any "doom" mechanic. I just built up religious authority and passed reformed which triggered some nasty uprisings but other than that no special mechanics. Was this working or did playing as a custom gently caress up some stuff?

*edit*
Oh that's because my religion doesn't have a doom mechanic, lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the historical basis for the Mayan's weird system where they lose half their empire every reform? It seems like a super weird mechanic so I'm curious how it came about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Question about colonizing as a "new world" nation. I'm Cuzco, I have most of south america and I'm making my way up north into mexico. A lot of the central american native powers still exist, but are blobbed around by British Mexico. I can't take on GB, but I can easily gobble up the central americans. The problem is a few of their territories are cut off from me, and after I annexed them they became a colonial nation, Cuzcan Mexico.

Am I hosed and those will be colonial nations forever, or is there a way to integrate them once I get a land connection? I understand the mechanics why this happened but it seems ridiculous that a 1-province gap in my conquest resulted in a huge colonial nation vs someone doing the same thing in europe would just have some disconnected territory or a vassal.

Also, is there a goon EU4 irc channel or anything?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Odobenidae posted:

Are separatist rebels being able to near-instantly siege down a province and give you umpteen more years of nationalism an intended change? Didn't see anything about that in the hotfix :(

This is why you need to station troops in rebellious areas. I find a couple units with the rebel hunting orders within 3-4 provinces distance is enough to take care of an area and engage the rebels before they take the province. You get plenty of warning when rebels are going to pop up, for the most part. In my experience anyways they often seem to move off the province they spawn on and assault the nearest fort, which gives your army way more time to arrive

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Allyn posted:

They'll be colonial nations forever, UNLESS you get a land border, release them, then declare war and annex them. No other way, unfortunately.

drat, that sucks. I'll probably try to cheat around this. PS how do I find out my TAG when I'm a custom nation?

I could release them then diplo-annex them with yesman cheat I think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Allyn posted:

You can use the console command debug_mode. That tells you province IDs/country tags. Iirc the default for the first custom nation is D00 (zeroes, not os).

Ah that's awesome, thanks guys. That's what I love about EU4, if something fucky does happen you have the commands available to correct things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jolan posted:

Great, the old "vassalizing a country that's at war with someone else says it'll drag you into their war, then actually doesn't"-thing is back again.

Oh it doesn't? Good, I was all freaked out and not taking vassals in wars because it kept saying it would drag me into a war with my allies or others.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Contingency Plan posted:

I haven't tried CS/1.12 yet, what is it about this update that makes France such a pushover? I know the two countries no longer start at war but shouldn't France, as the wealthier country be able to raise much larger armies? Did England get a buff?

At any rate, I think it's time I got around to finally getting One Night in Paris.

I've only started 2 games with common sense but in both France was reduced to a rump state by 1600-ish. In both games Brittany became the largest power in the area controlling all of the west and north coast of france. In both games Commonwealth formed very early and blobbed up hard along with Bohemia blobbing pretty good. Ottomans did very well both games, taking much of the mid-east. Austria never did much in either and the Emperor titled bounced between Saxony, Hesse, and Brandenburg. Spain and Great Britain formed very early as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So sometimes I have a bunch of points to burn and want to upgrade provinces, like invest in some more manpower. But I obviously want to get the lowest hanging fruit, why spend 100 points when I can spend 50 points to get the same thing in another province? Is there any way to make this easier to see? To see provinces by upgrade cost, or development level?

Also I never have any idea when to develop or not. I have no idea when I'm over-spending or under-spending. Should I be specializing my provinces and then building buildings to maximize those specialties? What's the best development strategy? It sounds like a lot of people are doing nothing, saying spending on development is useless vs spending on ideas and techs and other things. I don't know what to do!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 12, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tendronai posted:

If you pull up the build menu the last tab now is for development, you can see how much each province has been developed and hovering over the upgrade tells you the costs.

What would be great is a big list of provinces all together allowing you to sort by cost or development in each category and then upgrade with a click from that list rather than exit the list and select the province.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a good solution to diplo-annexing would be to have time factor more into things. Conquering a country by vassalizing it, feeding it, then annexing it as soon as possible is gamey and never going to balanced right. If you want land, take land and pay for it. You should obviously be able to annex a vassal, but I think the price should start out high and go down the longer they are your vassal. So you'd never take a vassal with the goal of annexing them asap, if you want land asap you should demand the province in peace and core it. But that vassal you've had for 100 years, sure that's enough time that they can be affordably integrated into your empire.

I guess the main issue is that I think the gameplay mechanics should make it so that you are only taking a vassal if your short to medium term goal is to keep them as a vassal. And expanding indirectly by having a vast vassal empire should be an alternative to painting the map your colour, with pros and cons. Basically a vassal should not be assumed to be a temporary situation until you can gather up the dip points to annex them and the default way of blobbing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I hate the new fort mechanic, so I'm placing them in every province to get something as close to the vanilla experience as possible.

Don't troll the thread

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know someone told me you can do it, but I can't figure out how to sort the province view by total development. I see tax, base tax, production and other things but not total development.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I control 100% of the provinces in an inland node, have invested tons of dip points in those provinces, chase mercantalism like my life depends on it, and still only have like 40% trade power in the node because every stupid minor country gets some huge 50 point caravan bonus. It's so easy to get 90%+ on a coastal node but I always have tons of trouble with inland nodes because every OPM with a merchant gets a massive 50 points and they all add up to steal my precious trade ducats.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm playing a little custom country that has basicaly all of the english channel trade node. I have English, Dutch, French and a few others as accepted cultures and everyone is happy. For some reason some insane dutch people have this idea of a "netherlands" and raise massive stack after stack of rebels. Do they eventually give up after a certain date? Am I going to have to move my capital to Holland or something to get them to stop?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm colonizing the new world but I'm getting this treaty of Tostitos scoops giving me -20 to growth. Is there any warning to this or a way to see which regions are already claimed by which powers?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And don't forget you can essentially convert money into monarch points via advisors. Got money to burn? Hire a +3 advisor, even if it puts you at a loss. You're converting gold to points.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So if I'm Bohemia and form HRE what cultures and groups will be accepted? German AND Czech, just Czech, both?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Luigi Thirty posted:

The HRE tag is a German cultural union plus you keep your West Slavic primary culture so you get both groups.

So if I'm France and somehow form HRE I'd have french and german accepted and could rule most of europe?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm already playing a custom france with -30% culture threshold as a national idea and humanist ideas so basically if you have a couple provinces and a bit of development you are accepted. If I went for HRE that would be insane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I have to admit when I used to play I'd always cheat my rear end off. I'd have a narrative my country was supposed to take and if something wasn't working out I'd just cheat my self what ever I needed. I'm now playing with basically no outright cheating (just a custom nation and the occasional tag switch to help the AI) and I'm appreciating things a lot more. Little things like -10% idea cost or core cost really add up and save your points. Also this isn't some space 4X game where you have to outstrip all your rivals in tech, just staying on par is all you really need to do in EU4 so just buy techs when they are discounted and save the rest for development and everything else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to merge vassals? They count towards your diplomatic relations so I can't ever have more than 3 or so. I guess annex one and give the provinces to another? I sort of wish vassals alone didn't count towards dip relations. I'd love to just have every german minor a vassal rather than expand at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, it's better now but there was a version where you were best off piling all your fleets and trade power into a single node and using its gravity to hoover up trade from downstream, rather than apply trade power at those further nodes. It's still true to some extent though. Even if you already control like 99% of your home node it's still a good idea to expand your trade power because that trade power will exert a pull all the way down the chain pulling more golds in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VDay posted:

Something I never really thought about because I never bothered to actually get a handle on trade until getting back into this game when CS came out is whether or not it's worth it to have a merchant collect from your home node. I always did it because it seemed like the right thing to do, but I've only recently realized that it's sometimes more beneficial to send him somewhere else if there aren't that many other nations with significant trade power there. My home merchant, for example, was only stopping ~1.5-2 gold worth of value from "leaking out" of my home node, so instead I sent him to a node right below mine and he instead now redirects ~4 gold worth of value into my flow of networks. Where trade value and power come from and how best to min/max or just improve it can be tricky, but the basic trade flow mechanic is surprisingly simple once you sit down and go "Ok what does this stuff actually mean and what is actually happening when I do this?"

Yeah sometimes you just need to do some trial and error to figure out the optimal flow to your treasury. Sometimes getting more raw ducats in your node comes at the expense of less going to your treasury, but usually the reverse is true. It's better to have 60% control over a 30 ducat node than 90% control over a 10 ducat node. And of course don't be afraid to move your trade capital!

I really do wish you could have multiple collection points. For instance if you are playing france and have both the english channel and southern france/italy on lock down you fully control 2 end-nodes but can only extract without major penalty from one. There's a lot of quirks to the trade system but it doesn't really aim to be realistic or even an abstraction of much, it's just a game feature to add an interesting mechanic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eimi posted:

Did something change about colonization? (In yet more trip reports from my Russia game) Portugal fell to Spain, who ate them, but the only thing they managed to do was establish Mexico. Spain itself has not touched Brasil or the Carribean, only Columbia. While Great Britain has Newfoundland/Canada and a tiny Thirteen Colonies. That's...apparently it. I think Spain might have Cape of Good hope too. I was worried I'd have to go to war for Eastern Siberia, but I managed to get there just fine with no else in site. It's...very odd. I'm in the 1680's and if I wanted to grab Exploration I could make Russian America, it's that empty. I've never seen a game with such spare colonization. And in the case of Spain and GB it's not like they focused on the continent, Spain is pretty much just Iberia while GB lost its continental cores to Burgundy long ago. :iiam:

Spain in my current game is having some sort of AI problem. They made a small Spanish Brazil colony then stopped everything, and I mean everything. I recently went to war with them and found they had NO military in spain, nor did they seemingly have a fleet. It's like the player is asleep at the wheel. Portugal is actively colonizing the Caribbean though, but that's it. I took expansion but don't have the ability to explore so I'm sitting here colonizing north america all by my self with 1 colonist. England got destroyed by me and Scotland so they're out of the colonial game.

Really if anything goes wrong with Spain, Portugal, or England the "new world" can remain pretty empty until the 2nd or 3rd tier colonizers come in, but often doesn't start until the later 1600's and then you start to see poo poo like Swedish Canada.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trundel posted:

Finally finished up a long CK2 game. I started as Germania, then switched to Africa around year 1100 because it got way to easy. Turns out that with a player-assisted start the ai can make some pretty big gains.

and religions...

The Aztec invasion was a colossal failure; as soon as they took Scotland and England The Fylkir declared a Great Holy War and the hordes of Reformed Germans booted the Aztecs right out of Europe. The only ones left still have the Aztec Empire title, but are Saxons of the Germanic faith. I managed to get Spain back to a series of buffer states for when EU4 Germania gets ridiculously powerful.

So this will make a fun EU4 game! I can't wait to get into Common Sense now that I'm done, again, with CK2 though I may just go with the base setting if this proves to be too whacky.

Let us know how the conversion goes and any weirdness you find. I keep wanting to sink the hours into playing a full CK2 game but every time I did the converter wasn't up to date or working right for that version :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can never figure out Power Projection and essentially ignore it and the rival system for the most part. My valid rivals are always some big country I'm not even that close to and don't want to interact with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress common sense is great what are they mad about? So far 90% of the complaint threads have been people bitching that this or that unpaid feature is RUINING THE GAME for people without the expansion.
Buy every DLC idiots.

Wahhh all this new content isn't free!
"I have already spent a small fortune purchasing every single Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV DLC there is. I just can't understand why all of those hadn't been already included in the initial release or even as free patches. Paradox is really getting on my nerves with these incredibly overpriced "expansions". They add a few stuff to the game, but it still "feels" the same. "

Unplayable!
"Short version: Some really great ideas in this expansion, but they have been horribly implemented. With some pretty significant reworks this could add so much to the game, but until that time, EUIV is almost unplayable."

I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND
"TL:DR
- I can no longer UNDERSTAND combat.
- Fort mechanics are limiting with no obvious upside as it pertains to war.
- War is more predictable and probably harder as a result."

Buying all the DLC is just common sense. Also this has been Pardox's DLC strategy for years.
"Thank you for introducing a paywall in this update. By dividing interconnected features between the patch and the DLC you have made the game less fun.
In addition many design decisions removed elements of the game that were fun, and replaced them with nothing in return. By cutting out elements of the game without a clear reason (not even balance) you adedd to my decision to stop supporting EUIV."

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are you sure manpower doesn't increase force limits? I was a few units short to have a bunch of identical stacks (every unit must be standardized!!) so I built a bunch of manpower around my empire and a couple months later I had the needed expanded force-limits.

• Locked thread