Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't listen to all these people telling you to use your light ships to protect trade like a wimp. Turn them into privateers and park them in a rich end node like Venice. Bonus points if you have rivals that collect in that node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Remove +core cost ideas

:agreed:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Related to this, what's the difference between privateering/protecting trade? The way I'm reading it, it sounds like protecting trade just boosts your own power on that node, while privateering reduces the power of other nations on that node and gives it to you, for a bigger net effect (but is also countered by people pirate hunting, while trade protection can't be countered directly).

Is that right at all?

Protecting just increases your trade power, while privateering is completely different. Instead of increasing your trade power, it increases the trade power of the "pirate nation", which automatically collects in that node and then gives you 40% of what they collect. In a sense, it's like collecting in a node with a 60% efficiency penalty, without needing to use a merchant. Privateers also contribute 50% more trade power than normal trade fleets. Most importantly, you can get up to 30 power projection from privateering (10 for each rival).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avocados posted:

Oh my goodness I thought the Ottomans were the easy option but Austria/Hungary keeps ramming down my doors shortly after I take Constantinople. If I take Greece all the backwoods countries come out of the woodwork and gank me with a coalition.

What ideas/early strats should I use so I can at least paint Europe green by 1800s? Or, as a new player of 30 hours should I keep my goals lower?

The real key to the Ottomans is rotating between European, African, and Asian conquests. If you push to far into Europe too quickly, you'll get hella coalitions against you. For ideas, pick ones that play to your strengths, like Humanism, Administrative, Quality, or Quantity.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Games > Europa Universalis IV: Goat-fucker of Alexandria

Games > EU4: By land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress your mother

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alt-history where the natives domesticated grizzly bears.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there a hidden option somewhere to bind the cursor to the window in windowed or windowed fullscreen mode?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

First off, failing a mission isn't a bad thing. There are no penalties for it, you just lose any temporary claims the mission gives you. As long as you're still eligible for it, you can just take it again, although you can't take the same mission twice in a row so you'd have to take some other mission and immediately cancel it (again, no penalties for this). Because of the long truce times, what you should be doing is taking the mission, taking some land, start coring it and then cancel the mission and reselect it. You can conquer Novgorod without the mission, but I think the reward boosts the development in the province of Novgorod on success.

Don't ally with Denmark at the start. They won't be able to give you any troops and they'll most likely drag you into an independence war with Sweden.

For fighting Novgorod, you want to avoid attrition at all costs, because it's a real killer in the North. Focus on sieging down the province of Novgorod and then let you vassals handle the rest. I'd also wait until you get military tech 5 to attack Novgorod for the supply limit increase.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also before going after Novgorod, I'd suggest forging claims on Tver and Ryazan and attacking them both. Vassalize Ryazan and give Tver to your other vassal Yaroslavl. The former is really important because the Golden Horde to the south usually goes after them early on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't chase their armies, that's a good way to lose manpower to attrition. Wait until they try to siege your forts, or just ignore them and let THEM lose men to the winter. Also you don't need to attack them ASAP. Wait until you get military tech 5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now that I've had a chance to play around with development a lot, I feel like the whole system is really bland and boring. It's basically only something you do when you have nothing else to spend monarch points on (which is better than letting them go to waste, don't get me wrong). It's a great idea, but in execution it just falls flat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

popewiles posted:

What were you expecting from the development system?

Something more engaging than clicking a button every few months, I guess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tendronai posted:

From Wiz's twitter, 1.14 cements itself as Best Patch by adding a continue button.

This is nice, but you know what would be even better? Game save folders.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Diplomatic feedback looks incredible and is something that has been sorely needed in EU for years.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sorced posted:

If you are saving local you can just make a folder in the explorer and it works.

I had no idea. Thanks!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any chance of getting better dual monitor support? I have two monitors, and even in fullscreen mode, the cursor still moves to the other monitor and the game scrolls endlessly. I have to disable the other monitor every time I play.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The National Bank idea gives you an event to restructure your loans to 24 months instead of 12 months, which effectively cuts your inflation from loans in half. The event also gives you a free -5 inflation and +1 stability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: converting away from Catholicism doesn't remove any of the modifiers from papal actions like forgiving usury.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yashichi posted:

@Interest/loans people: You take .1 inflation every time you take or extend a loan and inflation is bullshit so you should never ever take a loan

This is the worst advice ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I generally avoid any decision that gives +RR or +stability cost. The provincial government system for the Ottomans is another such trap. +10% tax rate isn't worth the RR, and it also gives you bad events down the line.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think he's talking about offering loans to AI countries.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

It definitely makes for smoother conquests, you just run the risk of not being able to convert as fast as you are conquering/coring, so long term you might feel some serious growing pains.

Taking Religious means more (predictable) pain in the short term since you're converting everything ASAP.

To get kind of meta about it, depends on whether your conversion rate > conquest rate or not. Humanist smooths things out but especially after you start getting Administrative Efficiency from tech you can conquer and core really quickly. Depending on your tolerance from NIs this can be more or less of an issue.

Basically, Religious trades short term unrest for not giving a gently caress about limits on expansion while Humanist is somewhat limited on speed of their expansion by desire to maintain accepted cultures and and conversion not keeping up with conquest into non-fully-tolerated territory.

Religious also makes it more efficient for you to convert diplo points into manpower and taxes. Not to mention the -25% stability cost, holy poo poo is that good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

- Trading in silk isn't always possible either and can fluctuate trough your game.

"My padishah, it appears that we have lost our dominance in the trade of silk! Whatever shall we do?"

"Oh bother. Well, time to start oppressing the Albanians again."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

All the bonuses for trading in X are kinda silly if you think about them too hard.

I like the +fort defense for trading in coffee.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, pretty sure this is why they added the ability to pay of loans early. No real savings involved.

I wish there was an option to automatically amortize a loan, so that I can pay it back gradually instead of all at once.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

What they all have in common is they have bonuses to Army Tradition (quantity through a policy with Humanism) which if you are playing as the Ottomans and started the Jannisaries (which you almost always should) you will get disasters later on that can be prevented by keeping a high Army Tradition and also they are just really strong idea groups for countries that plan on constant expansion like the Ottos

If you intend to do this, I think you're actually better off going with Quantity. It doesn't directly give you any army tradition, but it lets you wage war far more often, and that will get you a lot more army tradition than the +1/year either Quality or Defensive will get you.

Of course, the best way to avoid the Janissary disaster is to become a republic. Having over 70 army tradition will only pause the progress of the disaster, but having a ruler with a 5 in any stat is the only way to reset it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reloading a save almost always scrambles the diplomatic AI. I'd actually consider that an exploit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They could get factions based on your potential heirs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

But it might actually be simpler (though less reliable) to simply take aristocratic ideas and wait for the event spawning revolutionary rebels.

This is probably the best way to do it, since you don't even need to commit MIL points to the idea group to get the event. Unfortunately it's very unreliable, with a 1 in 13 chance of getting it every five years (even less if you have more idea groups unlocked).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

canepazzo posted:

As Italy, I annexed and cored all of North+Northeast Africa; while Tunisian is close to becoming an accepted culture (at 8% of my development with Humanist 5 so just 2% off) , Egyptian stays at 0% no matter how much I spend in development. Why is that? Is it cause of distant overseas? If so, why is it not affecting Tunisian? Can I change my capital to say, Alexandria (temporarily?) to get them accepted? Should I just culture change instead?

It's because it's distant overseas. Tunisian works because it's not distant. Check your provinces - if it has a 75% autonomy floor, it's distant overseas. If you wanted to move your capital to Alexandria, you'd have to physically isolate your original capital first, and then it would cause your Italian provinces to become distant overseas.

e: if you can form an unbroken land connection from your capital to your African provinces, it will eliminate the problem since they'll no longer be overseas provinces.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 3, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wiz can you please remove all "increased coring cost" things ughhhhhhhhh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How about give them a increased peace cost and overextension weight instead? Same coring cost, but you can't take as much development points in each war.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess the real question about increased coring cost is: why do you need to deter the player from expanding into North Africa? It's got some decent provinces, but they're not that great. They're not very good for trade because they're mostly in the Safi or Tunis nodes, which are totally unconnected to New World trade.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

I don't know if you're coming at this from the angle of ensuring only the historical colonizers actually get to colonize things or if you think that sub-Saharan cultures should get more army movespeed.

I think what he's saying is that countries that live predominantly in jungle regions shouldn't have a penalty to colonizing jungle provinces like everyone else does.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it would be nice to get some return on that massive investment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Only worth it if you have nothing else to spend the points on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

developing production (up to 9, at 10 they run the risk of depleting) for Gold mine provinces is a pretty decent investment, otherwise it's a point dump

Up to 10 actually. The tooltip is inaccurate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it's 10 ADM per point of development, multiplied by the sum of all the bonuses and penalties.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a protip for playing as Muscowy. When you take the mission to conquer Novgorod and complete it, the province of Novgorod gets +1 to all development categories. If you just conquer all of Novgorod's provinces normally, you'll complete the mission before you core them, so you'll have to pay for coring the bonus development. But if you give the province of Novgorod to a vassal during the peace deal and then annex the vassal, you won't complete the mission until after you've annexed the vassal, so you'll basically get three free development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

That's probably a lot of missions and work missed out for 10 years for 3 development.

It sounded a lot cooler in my head.

• Locked thread