Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ghetto Prince posted:

Did they remove the England's ability to get a personal union over France in the peace deal? :arghfist::(

England can get a mission to force a union on France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Thanks, I guess Saxony was just being lazy/stupid :shrug:.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Are the unique buildings like the Embassy or War College gone? I'm hurting for an extra diplomat and am disappointed at the apparent lack of an Embassy to build.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I thought 100 authority meant you could push a reform through without votes. It used to work that way, didn't it?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Sending privateers to your rivals' trade nodes also gives you some power projection. Makes it much easier to get/maintain those sweet 50+ pp bonuses.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Why is no one talking about how great province looting is? Because province looting is pretty great. Since forts cost upkeep now it's harder to maintain a positive income during wartime, but it's no problem since you can just plunder the enemy countryside for all the money.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

axeil posted:

So I think the theme of Common Sense should be "Everything's crazy." If you want proof, just look at how my Poland game is going.

Don't have a screenshot, but I saw Corfu conquer all of Greece.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Just started an Ethiopia game, trying for the Prester John achievement. Apparently they start with an Empire-level title, which is pretty sweet.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as Portugal, the decision to adopt Plutocratic Administration has disappeared. It was there before I got high enough admin to enact it, but now it's gone. It doesn't even appear int the list to show its requirements. What gives?

You probably have 20 or more provinces.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Mugsbaloney posted:

I took iceland as the scots. I took the colonisation and exploration trees.I cant reach greenland. WHY CANT I REACH GREENLAND eiriksford is 306 away from reykjavik and my range is 240 after the +50%, why is finding accurate info on this game so pissing hard and what can i do now my colony dreams have been shattered? help mee

You need the colonial range bonuses from both Exploration ideas and from Diplomatic Tech 7 to reach the new world, including Greenland. Pretty much only Portugal and Castile are close enough to reach the Americas without both bonuses.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Star posted:

Switzerlake makes you do horrible things :negative:

For some reason everyone does Switzerlake the hard way.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tsyni posted:

That looks very fun to me. How did you start out?

Conquered Savoy as early as possible, with France's help, since Nice was the closest coastal province I could reasonably reach. Rushed exploration ideas, colonized Arguin and could reach the Americas from there. I moved my capital to Nice, then left the HRE which gave the emperor (Austria) claims on my provinces so I could sell them everything except Nice allowing me to move capital to America.

I'm not sure if my particular strategy would work now. France was happy to ally me so I could jump into the HYW on their side, but they don't start at war anymore.

Sheep posted:

I'm guessing those are client states rather than colonial nations, then?

Yes. The achievement only requires that you have enough landlocked provinces at any given moment. You're allowed to have coastal provinces then just assign them all to a client state when you have enough provinces.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Being an American native nation is one of the hardest and least interesting ways to play, pretty much for the reasons you're describing. Your best hope might be if some of your colonial neighbors rebel against their parent nations. Check their liberty desire, and maybe even support their independence if possible. A successful independence war would mean either a new target you could attack without drawing in the Europeans, or potentially even an ally to help you beat up other colonial nations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I tried to do the Prester John achievement once. I thought I got real lucky when various European powers beat the snot out of the Ottomans.

Didn't feel so lucky when loving France annexed Constantinople and most of Anatolia.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I don't know what they did, but EU4 runs a lot more smoothly on my old computer now. Speed 5 is actually pretty fast now, and I also haven't yet seen any of the minor graphical glitches that usually crop up.

Thanks, Paradox, for throwing a bone to those of us with inferior hardware.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Why isn't this good enough to form Malaya? http://imgur.com/Bucjc0C

EDIT: I was wrong. Are you lacking cores on any of the needed provinces, by chance?

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Just tried playing as a released colonial nation in a Random New World. Apparently achievements are flat out disabled when you switch to a released colonial subject. I tried checking the in-game achievement list and it said "This game is meant to be played as Portugal" (my starting nation). Not sure if it also disables that achievement for conquering your former colonial overlord, but I already had that one. I just figured there might still be some minor achievements I was still eligible for, but oh well.

Random New World has no formable new world nations. That's not surprising, but it is disappointing.

Is there no way to control what government you become when you play as a released colonial nation? I know it's possible to be a republic, but I got stuck with a despotic monarchy.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

My Ideas Guy run is also Hindu, as an African Dutch Republic. Mostly worshipping Shiva for the core cost reduction.

Owning 3/4 of Africa, pulling in trade from controlling all of Indonesia and Australia is already getting me more than 400 monthly income in the early 1700's.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Ideas Guy is a pretty neat achievement. I finally got bored and quit in the 1780's with an income of about 600 ducats a month.

Started in Cameroon with a Hindu Dutch Republic. You get so many extra monarch points with Dutch Republic that I boosted development a few times in Cameroon to be able to afford my first colonies. That one Hindu deity that gives a bonus to taxes and trade efficiency was also instrumental early on.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 6, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

So I'm going for the ideas guy achievement, I started in the RNW, the year is 1710 and I'm the #1 country in the world but the Ottomans aren't far behind. I'm making a bit over 100 ducats/turn but I have about 100 years left and I need 500/turn. I usually start over by now but I'd like to see this one through, does anyone have advice on how I can get that extra income?

I usually never play past 1700 so I'm wondering if the late game tech will give me the economic boosts I need, plus spamming development and buildings and trying to establish more protectorates/client states in the new world. I could invade Europe or Asia (the latter being the better option for trade routes) but then my lands would be treated as a colony, except it seems I can't get colonial nations to form either because my capital is in the new world or that I'm High American tech.

In my Ideas Guy run in Africa, most of my money came from trade. I colonized all of Indonesia, Australia, and the Philippines and turned them into trade companies (where applicable) to get the extra merchants from them. Then I started conquering China and Indochina and turning them into trade companies to get even more merchants and pull in even more trade income. Oh, just noticed you said High American tech. You need to be Western tech to use trade companies (and the relevant DLC). Well, Trade Ideas will still help if you don't have it already. Economic Ideas are also a given, for getting a little more income. Build manufactories on your most valuable trade goods. Maybe conquer all the gold provinces in Africa.

If you're in the 1700's and still at only 100 ducats/month gross income, it might be too late, but good luck. Maybe post some screenshots, including your economy screen.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Palleon posted:

Shouldn't +republican tradition make the list of ideas somewhere along the line?

You don't need it for Dutch Republics. You get an extra +1 RT per year when you have the Statists in power, and there are no re-elections so no tradition loss from that. It's real easy to stay at 100 tradition all the time, only occasionally losing a few points from random events.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

If you have Art of War, then at the very least you can transfer occupation of any provinces you don't want to someone else, usually the warleader, only keeping occupation of the provinces you might want to be given in the peace deal.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I've started a First Come, First Serve run recently. It's almost 1500 and because I'm Western I can see what's been happening in Europe. Portugal got eaten by Morocco and Castile is getting repeatedly stomped by France. I know the strategy for this achievement requires letting other nations colonize a lot so you can conquer their colonies, so is this run ruined by the two biggest colonizers being taken out of the picture? Or is it likely other nations will pick up the slack?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

How does bottoming your RT to make your republic a monarchy work? Dutch Republic is great but I kinda want to finish off with a revolution.

For most republics you just re-elect the same guy(s) over and over to tank your tradition over the course of a few decades. That's kinda hard to do with Dutch Republic since you mainly lose tradition from events. Just keep electing Orangists and hope for appropriate events, I guess. I don't even know if Dutch Republic can collapse into a monarchy this way.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 29, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Johan posted:

Prussia with Rights of Man will be a taller state, that can punch far above its weight, and require a bit of a different playing strategie.

Prussia can already punch above its weight and doesn't need a bunch of improvements. I'd like this feature better if any monarchy could turn militaristic under certain circumstances, just Prussia gets to do so automatically.

All the other features in this dev diary look good, though. Man, they're gonna get me to shell out full price for yet another DLC aren't they?

EDIT: Has a dev diary talked about the apparent changes to how accepted cultures are handled? Look at the government screen in those screenshots. There's something about "promoted cultures."

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 1, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Conquest of Paradise is pretty much skippable if you don't think you'd use the Random New World feature. Some mods will require it, but mostly they're ones that affect RNW anyway.

Do you need CoP to play as a colonial nation? I want to say that's the case, but could be wrong.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

e: What he said ^^^^

You mostly have it, but there's a little more to it than that. To use your Croatia example, after vassalizing them you can feed them more provinces in future wars, such as from Hungary or maybe some Balkan provinces you don't immediately want for yourself. Then afterwards you can annex for a whole bunch of territory with no Aggressive Expansion and a bunch of cores without spending Adm points for them. Of course the more development the vassal has, the more Dip points you're spending and the more time it takes to annex. But the important thing is that you're spending Dip and not Adm points. Influence Ideas are a big help if you do this a lot.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Teutonic Order fits the bill for a theocratic medium power. Might be a little tough for a beginner since they're going to be in conflict with Poland early on, though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Is there an easy way to get out of being defender of the faith? I want to switch to Protestant, but the game won't let me while I'm defender of the Catholic faith. I'm so strong with such good alliances no one has dared to declare war on a Catholic nation for decades, so it doesn't seem like I'll have an opportunity to dishonor a defensive call to arms any time soon.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

in eu3 and launch eu4, it was really useful to release countries to weaken enemies. the diplo cost means it's almost never useful these days, and i kinda miss it!

In EU3 I always used to take the national idea that gave you the Liberation CB to make it easier to release countries in peace deals. I wish EU4 had something similar.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

If you fought a war with Spain, wouldn't Annul Treaties in the peace deal work?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Can you start as France and have them release Orleans as a vassal? Releasing a vassal gives you the option to play as the vassal. That would mean after switching to Orleans you'd have to find a way to get out from under France's thumb before doing anything else.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I loved the screenshot of the guy who did it in America. Talk about creative.

Hi. :v:
Always happy to share this screenshot because it was certainly a very different kind of game, though it's sort of a lazy way to get what should have been a really difficult achievement. I wonder if this strategy would even work now, it was several major patches ago.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah, I've noticed some oddities there too. One of my rivals had two colonial nations, and the larger of the two had 0% liberty desire even after I agitated for liberty, while the smaller one had at least some liberty desire though not a lot. You'd think the larger colony with a larger army would be less loyal. Both colonial nations stayed loyal even after I beat up my rival and reduced them to just a few provinces and broke all their alliances, so the colonies were in ideal conditions to become disloyal and fight an independence war. Maybe something is screwy, or maybe the AI is just really good (too good) at managing liberty desire.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

deathbagel posted:

I have started 6 games in the past 2 days and get bored and stop before 1500. But after watching the Paradox MP streams I feel like I need to find a MP group to play with. It looks like a lot more fun. Though I'm sure I'd be terrible at it, I'm so used to constantly pausing.

If any goons still do multiplayer, I'd love to join in. I never could do it before because of my work schedule, but things are different now.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Mandalay posted:

You get additional merchants if your trade company controls more than half of a node's trade power. Do light ships factor into this calculation, or just raw trade power provinces?

EDIT: I was wrong and looked it up. It's provincial trade power only. Prioritize the center of trade and estuary provinces.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 8, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Reminds me of the time I PU'd France as Castile a long time ago. It was actually a disaster because their liberty desire went through the roof almost right away and they declared war for independence. Thankfully if that situation happens now, there are a lot more options to keep subjects happy these days.

It's probably not even worth integrating France. They can just be your attack dog in continental Europe.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I stopped playing ironman a while back, but achievements really are nice. They give you a sort of win condition in this game that's otherwise open-ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

You have to occupy the capitals of the emperor and the electors to click the Dismantle HRE button. If there are no electors remaining you can't dismantle it the normal way because the emperor becomes hereditary in that situation. In your case it looks like you'd have to fully annex France to make the HRE stop existing.

• Locked thread