Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mountaineer posted:

For some reason everyone does Switzerlake the hard way.

That looks very fun to me. How did you start out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also keep in mind I think Jastiger is playing without any of the expansions so that's going to make a lot of features different

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mountaineer posted:

I'm guessing those are client states rather than colonial nations, then?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow awesome info thanks. I don't quite understand fronts and widths. .basically the wider the front the better off you are, right? How can you see that before hand?

Yes I have no expansions

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 6, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Wow awesome info thanks. I don't quite understand fronts and widths. .basically the wider the front the better off you are, right? How can you see that before hand?

If you're being offensive and have more men then you want a larger combat width, because you cavalry and infantry fight on the front line. You can see it...in the Military Tab, I think? You can see how certain terrain will affect it in this screenshot:

If you're facing an enemy with more troops it's to your advantage to hide in mountain provinces where there is lower combat width so that they aren't flanking the hell out of you on the front line.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jastiger posted:

Wider fronts are better if you have the larger army. If you have a smaller army, you'd be better of trying to get your opponent to attack you in the mountains where the low combat width means he can't flank you. And of course the -3 penalty to attacker rolls in the mountains isn't half bad either.

e:f;b.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Is there a way to see the total development of other nations

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Jastiger posted:

Yes I have no expansions

Combat width starts at a default of fifteen and improves with mil tech - if you hover over the icon (two sabres with arrows extending underneath) on the technology window you can see how much its improved by (but not the exact number you have because paradox hates you). Unless you're playing in the Americas, you're probably going to start with 20, and it eventually caps at 40 once you reach tech 26.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's the deal with vassal power? I got the personal union event with Aragon as Castille, which makes them my vassal. But then they immediately had really high liberty desire. Apparently their relative power to me is 200%. But I have a slightly larger army and navy than them across the board....?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

What's the deal with vassal power? I got the personal union event with Aragon as Castille, which makes them my vassal. But then they immediately had really high liberty desire. Apparently their relative power to me is 200%. But I have a slightly larger army and navy than them across the board....?

Probably that is the relative power of ALL your vassals combined compared to yours. So I'm guessing you have Naples PU'd as well, and Naples + Aragon is bigger than you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sudo rm -rf posted:

Is there a way to see the total development of other nations

Ledger

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Probably Emperor passed to some small power like lol Hesse. You have to be 8+ provinces as non-Austria Emperor to inherit during the Burgundian Inheritance.

I've had Spain inherit them once. Isn't that sort of historically accurate? I ain't going to be a wikipedia scholar and pretend I'm smart by looking there.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pellisworth posted:

Probably that is the relative power of ALL your vassals combined compared to yours. So I'm guessing you have Naples PU'd as well, and Naples + Aragon is bigger than you.

PUs are calculated individually unlike vassals. If someone supports their independence it'll get added to their relative power though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Tsyni posted:

That looks very fun to me. How did you start out?

Conquered Savoy as early as possible, with France's help, since Nice was the closest coastal province I could reasonably reach. Rushed exploration ideas, colonized Arguin and could reach the Americas from there. I moved my capital to Nice, then left the HRE which gave the emperor (Austria) claims on my provinces so I could sell them everything except Nice allowing me to move capital to America.

I'm not sure if my particular strategy would work now. France was happy to ally me so I could jump into the HYW on their side, but they don't start at war anymore.

Sheep posted:

I'm guessing those are client states rather than colonial nations, then?

Yes. The achievement only requires that you have enough landlocked provinces at any given moment. You're allowed to have coastal provinces then just assign them all to a client state when you have enough provinces.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

I've had Spain inherit them once. Isn't that sort of historically accurate? I ain't going to be a wikipedia scholar and pretend I'm smart by looking there.

Habsburg dynastic fuckery I don't know the history of terribly well. It's realistic for the Low Countries to pass to Austria as that's what actually happened, then the Habsburgs end up ruling both the Spanish and Austrian Empires and the Spanish Habsburgs control the Burgundian inheritance bits.

This doesn't happen in EU4 because I don't think there's an event or anything to push Spain towards having a Habsburg ruler. Habsburgs vs. rest of Europe was a major political driver during the EU4 period and without them getting on the Spanish throne you never see anything like that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Gustavus Adolphus getting the Swedish throne a scripted event that happens no matter what as long as you're independent Sweden? Because I just had my 17 year-old heirless king get offed suddenly and replaced by Gustav II Adolph Lancaster and putting me under threat of a Personal Union.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

sounds like you just got unlucky. young rulers die sometimes, and you got a successor drom a dynasty you had a rm with. on the other hand maybe you can get them in a PU with you in the future.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay, the Buddhists Strike Back achievement seems silly. I don't even get far enough into a game to get mad. I've had nine attempts, and Vaginagar declares war on me by 1447 every single time. I figured I would have to do a couple restarts to wait until I wasn't their first target, but loving hell. The game won't give me a break.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BBJoey posted:

sounds like you just got unlucky. young rulers die sometimes, and you got a successor drom a dynasty you had a rm with. on the other hand maybe you can get them in a PU with you in the future.

Yeah I just looked at Sweden's event file and there's nothing in there that replaces your ruler/heir with Gustavus Adolphus

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Cynic Jester posted:

PUs are calculated individually unlike vassals. If someone supports their independence it'll get added to their relative power though.

Jesus, no wonder. England is supporting their independence. Is there anything I can do about that?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jastiger posted:

I already got rid of it and reverted saves. I attacked the province Osterode from Plock. It shows no rovers. Woods to grassland. We both had generals, we both had 22 units. I had 7 of those units as cavalry and I think he had like 3. My units morale plummeted immediately even though I'm full paying them all. I just don't understand. :( I only seem to win battles when I out number 20 to 1.

Jastiger posted:

I don't know how to check that I JUST got Eastern militia which is an upgrade and all of my armor was that.

Dibujante posted:

When you upgrade to a new troop type, your morale hits zero. This means that you will probably not win a fight for 3 months.

^ really wondering if this is what happened.

Mountaineer posted:

:slowclap:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had to give up on the game. I stopped putting down rebels with military points and let then rebel. Did that, and then immediately they declared war in me and destroyed me. Yeah.

Manpower doesn't seen to regenerate when yiu have armies or something?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I had to give up on the game. I stopped putting down rebels with military points and let then rebel. Did that, and then immediately they declared war in me and destroyed me. Yeah.

If your armies need men to reinforce, then manpower will go to them first.

e: and if you have 0 manpower, then your men will reinforce by however much you scrape together each month. It's slow and usually a "you should get out of this war" sign.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jinnigan posted:

Jesus, no wonder. England is supporting their independence. Is there anything I can do about that?

Declare war on England. It'll remove the support, and if you're then strong enough that they'll end up below 50% liberty desire, England can't support their independence again, as only subjects with a liberty desire of over 50% can have their independence supported. Other than that, just hover over their liberty desire in the subjects tab to figure out if there's anything else increasing it (generally it'll be relations, diplo tech, diplo rep, which can either be positve or negative. Make at least relations positive).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for the insight. What's the best way to avoid rebelliona? I have to constantly spend 50 military scorer put down assholes in a province that want orthodoxy. I'm converting them now...will it stop when they are converted?

How do I catch up to my enemy in military tech? Does conquest help?

Don't try to convert them. That raises their revolt risk by a lot, immediately, and can be counterproductive if your goal is to avoid revolts. Wait until you have a large enough army to handle them if they revolt before you send in a missionary.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Protecting your manpower reserves is one of the most important things, especially early on. Eventually you'll have enough men that most wars will not hit your manpower reserves too hard, but until you have a large empire you need to change how you are managing your armies.

- Watch where you are leaving your armies in peace time, provinces can only support a certain number of regiments before the regiments will start suffering attrition, which can cause your manpower reserves to empty even at peace. When you have an army selected, hovering your mouse over a province will give a tooltip saying how many regiments the province can support.
- In wars try to fight mostly defensive battles, if you split your armies up into smaller pieces you can often lay traps by leaving one half to be attacked and tie up the enemy then the other one come in and give you the troop advantage. This also works if you see an enemy army trying to bypass you but you are able to send a smaller army in to get there first. The exception to this is when an enemy army has been defeated, chasing it down and attacking it before its morale can recover can allow you to do what's called a stack wipe, completely destroy the entire army. You may be limited in chasing down enemy armies to stack wipe by enemy forts restricting province movement, but stack wipes are how to win wars.
- Hire a few mercenary infantry to participate in large battles, infantry goes at the center of the line and takes the brunt of the damage, but mercenaries do not require manpower so having the damage dealt to mercenaries instead of your men will save you. I like 4-6 mercenary infantry per large army during wartime early on. Mercenary cavalry or artillery are generally not worth it.
- Don't start sieging the enemy provinces right away, try to at least win one major battle before leaving sieges. You can't generally afford to tie up a large part of your army sieging and still have the men to win battles. Additionally, you will over time suffer a lot of casualties from attrition when leaving armies sieging provinces, it will be unavoidable, but you can avoid some of it until you've won the major battles that you'll need to.

fermun fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 6, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Finally I've gotten Poland Can Into Space, A Kaiser Not Just In Name, Winged Hussars, and a handful of other achievements incidentally in the process. This is also the first time I've actually played a game all the way through from start to finish. Final tally: 280 provinces, score 13897.

I'm not sure what to do next, but am open to suggestions.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

I got it as Bohemia, but I was emperor. A bit later I finally got the PU over England that I was aiming for all game as well, mega Bohemia is fun. Looks like I'll manage to pass the 3rd reform before the reformation starts.

The inheritance is really easy to trigger, it's kinda nice.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Roadie posted:

Finally I've gotten Poland Can Into Space, A Kaiser Not Just In Name, Winged Hussars, and a handful of other achievements incidentally in the process. This is also the first time I've actually played a game all the way through from start to finish. Final tally: 280 provinces, score 13897.

Baltic Crusader is hella good, but it's in the same area so you might want to switch it up a tad. Maybe A Sun God or Prester John?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Roadie posted:

You could do a Muscovy > Russia game and gun for Master of India, you'd definitely get the achievements for forming Russia and maxing patriarch authority along the way and probably also qualify for a decent reserve.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jastiger posted:

I ended up losing that last battle. I was very close to defeating the enemy army, but of course i took me 3 units to their 1, and then they had a massive reinforcement from behind that ended up costing me my capital province.

Is that picture from near the start of the battle? Because your infantry regiments all seem to be about half HP, even the ones on the back row. It looks to me you took a half dead army into combat, and given you are also out of manpower you have either lost several battles already or you have been standing about taking lots of attrition. So while you had more numbers you can only fit so many men on the front line and all your infantry is at half health - meaning your front line in was a fair bit weaker than theirs. Basically you had more total force but it was widely dispersed while their weaker army was concentrated. If you have to send an army into combat while it's damaged you should press the Consolidate Regiments button first (Two green arrows) which will merge your weak units into fewer, but stronger, ones.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darkrenown posted:

Is that picture from near the start of the battle? Because your infantry regiments all seem to be about half HP, even the ones on the back row. It looks to me you took a half dead army into combat, and given you are also out of manpower you have either lost several battles already or you have been standing about taking lots of attrition. So while you had more numbers you can only fit so many men on the front line and all your infantry is at half health - meaning your front line in was a fair bit weaker than theirs. Basically you had more total force but it was widely dispersed while their weaker army was concentrated. If you have to send an army into combat while it's damaged you should press the Consolidate Regiments button first (Two green arrows) which will merge your weak units into fewer, but stronger, ones.

After the battle had started. I tried again and did pretty ok and went to war against the turletonic states after making a union with Lithuania and was kicking rear end.....

Then out if no where they are running 25 stacks and just take all of my poo poo again. And somehow they jumped from 3 tech to 5 tech. Lithuania sent troops like 6 months too late and against their massive stack, and their buddies came and just beat my rear end while tuetonics hunted down my armies.

I just don't get it. I've seen videos where Poland sweeps through and crushes their armies and essentially ends them as a state, but me, they just raise a bigger more experience army and crush me mo matter what I do. I always seem to be behind in tech, and despite fighting totally defensive battles they just swoop through and drain my manpower.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
Was going for the African Power achievement, wherein Kongo has to conquer and core every single province in Africa. I was trying to dismantle Portugal's colonial power bloc by supporting independence for their colonial states, but in three different wars, they would get a positive war score and peace out with war reparations or something stupid. Why does this keep happening?

Also, I finally got the achievement by 1750, but seriously, what the hell?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
AIs aren't easy to code and if you fixate them on something like always going for the same wargoal it could deadlock them or open them up to more exploits.
Not actually sure what AI exploits are in the game still, guess I need to watch some youtubes again.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jastiger posted:

After the battle had started. I tried again and did pretty ok and went to war against the turletonic states after making a union with Lithuania and was kicking rear end.....

Then out if no where they are running 25 stacks and just take all of my poo poo again. And somehow they jumped from 3 tech to 5 tech. Lithuania sent troops like 6 months too late and against their massive stack, and their buddies came and just beat my rear end while tuetonics hunted down my armies.

I just don't get it. I've seen videos where Poland sweeps through and crushes their armies and essentially ends them as a state, but me, they just raise a bigger more experience army and crush me mo matter what I do. I always seem to be behind in tech, and despite fighting totally defensive battles they just swoop through and drain my manpower.

The early game is tricky. Military techs 3-7 have huge implications, so if your king has a low military score and their king has a high one, a very dangerous tech gap can result. This is a secret reason why Ottomans are so strong: Mehmet's 6 in military means they outpace their rivals in these crucial techs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So uh, my THIS IS PERSIA run has hit a snag. Or more precise a 10 kiloton roadblock:

I can't see a way in to break this. A quick tally of their troop numbers and I come to 355.000 troops between them and their vassals/colonies. Plus portugal dwarfs my fleet by an insane margin. I have no allies save for Bahmanis (HAH) and France (100.000 troops). This is going to be tricky. I may have to deal with the ottomans as much as possible and then declare on Russia instead. Russian winters, my favorite.

Also, feature request: when in fortress map mode, double-clicking on a province with a fort toggles it mothballed/active. The little checkbox is somewhat tiny.

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 6, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Left posted:

Was going for the African Power achievement, wherein Kongo has to conquer and core every single province in Africa. I was trying to dismantle Portugal's colonial power bloc by supporting independence for their colonial states, but in three different wars, they would get a positive war score and peace out with war reparations or something stupid. Why does this keep happening?

Also, I finally got the achievement by 1750, but seriously, what the hell?

Unless the AI's alliance is utterly dominating in all theatres of war against all remaining participants, they'll go for gold + reparations every time, even if it's counter to the very reason they declared war in the first place. This is also all they'll offer to you while you've occupied their provinces for so long you're putting down rebels for them.

So I was flabbergasted that peeople defended NA natives of all things as a viable play-through and yeah it's still loving terrible. Annexed or conquered everyone near me (Annexed everyone but Huron) in the first 50 years and then it was just watching colony bars slowly tick up while I waited for the Europeans to finally show up. Had completed all the reform goals about the same time I assimilated everyone, so there was absolutely nothing to actively do for a full century at which point my active goal was to finish my colony chain up to Newfoundland and Reform + Westernize off of France (was expecting GB but they came up through Florida). After westernizing off them, I then got to put my (now vastly reduced) armies on rebel suppression and wait a couple more decades for that bar to fill and then I was finally allowed to do a thing.

I did, however, manage to finally catch up on House of Cards, so NA natives are great for not actually wanting to play a video games and instead catching up on good TV while making sure your CPU doesn't get too cold or whatever. NA natives are just as bad as they were at launch.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 6, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dibujante posted:

The early game is tricky. Military techs 3-7 have huge implications, so if your king has a low military score and their king has a high one, a very dangerous tech gap can result. This is a secret reason why Ottomans are so strong: Mehmet's 6 in military means they outpace their rivals in these crucial techs.

That may be it, actually. Hmm.

i've restarted and I think I've figured it out, thanks in large part to advice here. What I DIDN'T Know was that by allowing my bros to do all the heavy lifting, THEY occupied the provinces I wanted...which meant that when I sued for peace I couldn't get any of the stuff I actually wanted. So now I had to re-declare war after a truce and I've occupied all the provinces that I want...so far. I still can't get Danzig yet because I don't border them, but I will shortly. I just need to figure out how to vassalize these dickheads.

I don't know which ideas to get, there are just so many! I'm thinking humanism since I'll probably be expanding a bit.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

You can hide behind your forts and wait as well. With Lithuania on your side things shouldn't be that hard but before you get the first few military techs you can take some massive casualties in battle. Who was the Teutonic Order allied with? If it's just the Livonian Order that shouldn't be so bad, but if they are allied to Denmark or something crazy like that then that war is going to be quite challenging.

Honestly, I'd consider an Ottoman game, they have a lot of smaller nations you can pick on to get into the swing of things.

Also, if you are fighting an alliance of smaller countries, it's in your best interest to wipe the closest army ASAP so that they don't combine all their forces into something that's going to be able to go toe-to-toe with you. I'll usually park my armies right next to their army (if we border provinces) before I declare war and then immediately try and crush them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tsyni posted:

You can hide behind your forts and wait as well. With Lithuania on your side things shouldn't be that hard but before you get the first few military techs you can take some massive casualties in battle. Who was the Teutonic Order allied with? If it's just the Livonian Order that shouldn't be so bad, but if they are allied to Denmark or something crazy like that then that war is going to be quite challenging.

Honestly, I'd consider an Ottoman game, they have a lot of smaller nations you can pick on to get into the swing of things.

Also, if you are fighting an alliance of smaller countries, it's in your best interest to wipe the closest army ASAP so that they don't combine all their forces into something that's going to be able to go toe-to-toe with you. I'll usually park my armies right next to their army (if we border provinces) before I declare war and then immediately try and crush them.

Yeah I'm finding war is less a "have the best army" and more a chess game of dodging and weaving until the time is right. Its kind of fun once you figure out how it works.

So I won the war, yay! Now...how do I give all these territories I DON'T want to like Lithuania or something like that? How do I vassalize the now scattered Teutonic order?

Edit: Pomerania took Danzig, and I want/need Danzig. How do I get that from them peacefully?

• Locked thread