Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is the third day in a row that I've been trying to figure out how to play Europa Universalis 4. I feel like deep down I enjoy it (which is why I keep coming back and playing late into the evening after work), but I might be too dumb to understand how any of these systems work.

I at least have a basic understanding of warfare, but the siege mechanic is just a complete black box, and there's so little that I can do most of the time that I feel like I'm probably doing something wrong. These monarch points sure do build up slowly, and my economy isn't really strong enough to hire one of the beefier advisers

I'm also confused by the "reinforce trade" option for the medium-sized boats; it tells me what kind of boost in value that should provide (from X to Y), but then the next boat shows the exact same numbers, which seems to imply that the previous boat didn't actually do anything for my trade value in that node? How much are these boats actually worth to my trade value in a node?

Good example, I recently sieged some level 3 forts. The year is about 1470 and I'm unable to build that kind of fort. Am I just totally boned in tech? I can build temples and marketplaces and I've gotten my first idea group.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for the posts guys, it's good to know that I'm not just stupid and that the siege tooltips really are difficult to comprehend. I had read all of them, but the fact that there are 12 phases did not come across *at all*.

And the trade explanations are really good, too. I knew there was something wonky going on with those tooltips.

I'm playing as France, by the way. So far I've taken Provence and driven the English off of the continent, and I joined in a nice little Castille v Monocco war awhile ago that went really well for me (by just shuttling some guys over to hang around looting and killing stragglers). And after taking a bunch of Provence territory I had to crush some uprisings.

It's 1475, my economy is on track enough now, I've got my first explorer and I think I might start upgrading advisers...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Redmark posted:

I'm not sure I understand how loans work; is there any point in repaying one early? It doesn't save any interest, does it?

When you repay the loan early you're also repaying whatever interest remains, so you don't save any money (assuming your interest rate is going to go up for whatever reason).

I like to pay off loans early because otherwise I might forget to have enough money saved up to pay it off on the designated date; if that happens then you wind up paying an additional 5 years of additional interest for no reason, which sucks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As a new player playing Portugal, I don't really mind the increased coring costs in Africa. It's a mechanic that I take into account when deciding how much to push for when suing for peace with Morocco or Tlemcen, and it accomplishes its intended purpose: I can't advance too quickly without paying a high price. That area is kind of poo poo militarily, so I imagine that the increased coring cost is to prevent the player from doing the easy thing and immediately overrunning the whole region. That's a good thing from my perspective.

Remember, Spain and Portugal are marked as "for beginners". Keeping North Africa kind of weak militarily prevents it from overrunning these "tutorial" nations, and increasing the cost of coring those provinces prevents the area from being too easy to dominate early on. If you just dump huge rebel stacks in the region instead then you run the risk of a new player not realizing how big a threat the rebels are and getting quickly dominated by them, which is even less fun than having to pay an increased coring cost.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Well I guess with taxes more of an economy where I can add tax buffs and see it work.....also it was grouped together in the tutorial I watched...and I meant to type production goods. I think I actually have a grasp on production goods and trade after watching it.

I think the problem for me is when you see something saying oh this increases ducats by .06 or something it's like what the hell would I build that?

Edit: well at least that explains the garbage increases for tax income.

The map I believe displays monthly income, so that would be .06 per month. But don't build a temple in a place with a tax base of 1

If you have a province with a tax base of 7 then that's more like +0.8 ducats per month. That sounds small, but it'll pay itself off in a little over 10 years, after which it's all profit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Is it ever possible to convert an Islamic territory to Christianity (in a territory one acquired in combat)? It seems like it's never possible, but you still have the option to send a missionary and...never make any progress.

This has been what I've been doing in my Portugal game. I'm slowly devouring North Africa through a mix of conquest and vassalization, converting each province to Christianity along the way. At the start of the game it was impossible to convert because I didn't have any bonuses, but a combination of random events, idea unlocks, and cultural acceptance drove most of my conversions to below 2 years. I haven't taken the Religious group yet, but that'd make it even easier.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not good at boats. In the early game the other major powers around me seem to be fielding these massive fleets of heavy warships, but there's no way that my meager income can handle both building and maintaining a big fleet of those huge ships. What gives? I feel like I need to have a ton of light ships protecting trade just to eek out a +5 ducats/month

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Tumblr generation. It's people getting upset just for the sake of getting upset.

No, white people have been panicking over tiny inconsequentially-racist details like this one since long before the "Tumblr generation" even existed

And I don't even think that people are upset about it, they're just pointing out how it's weird that there's so much diversity in the European unit models yet all of the African countries apparently field Zulu warriors.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

It's so upsetting to me that a bunch of tribesmen with spears get portrayed in the game as tribesmen, with spears.

That's the point though; the game portrays many non-tribal societies in Africa as tribal societies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does it make sense to always call your allies to war, even if the interface says that they won't come? Does the AI have a prestige value that takes a hit when they refuse a call to war?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

anti_strunt posted:

Alright, so anyone know if this is easy to mod? It seems like an absurd change.

I sure hope so, because it's really drat annoying. I assume someone did this as part of a testing session and then forgot to undo it, because really there's not a good reason to make the pause banner so obstructive

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

YF-23 posted:

Getting a bug, or something that you think is a bug, and then coming in to complain about how the game has obviously not been playtested at all is an overreaction at the very least.

To be fair, a lot of people itt have been talking about some pretty serious show-stoppers, like save game corruption. So either thorough playtesting didn't catch these common, serious bugs (unlikely), playtesting only covered new features without actually playing through whole games (possible but still bad), or there was no playtesting (I don't actually know whether any popular developers even do this). Or I guess maybe it's possible that these bugs were identified late and the patch was released anyway (lol)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

and the diplomatic change, and maybe transfer occupation, and ...

I looked down the wiki list and I really don't think there's anything else that changes things fundamentally. Funny as it is to throw someone into the thick of it, people getting overwhelmed by Paradox games is a pretty chronic problem and I think this is one of the easier ways to alleviate that.

In fact even beyond the DLC, there is tons of stuff in this game you really don't need to worry about for a while if you start safe inside Europe. Trade in particular. Just ignore that whole system until you get a handle on things like alliances, overextension, and aggressive expansion.

As a new player I actually think that I was better off from having the DLC all turned on. A good example of this is that I didn't buy El Dorado until my second game, so I had to forget everything that I had just learned about exploration and then learn two new systems (naval exploration + the Search For El Dorado style of exploration, which are both great but quite different). I don't think that was beneficial at all. Other systems like Trade Companies are totally optional and can just be ignored if I don't want to learn about them (although Trade Companies in particular were pretty easy to learn about)

I'm not a Paradox player, I tried to play Hearts of Iron 3 a long time ago and closed it within about 5 minutes. EU4 doesn't feel like that kind of game. Yes, it has a lot of knobs and levers, but it just feels a lot more user-friendly than those older hardcore strategy games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

Did something change with AE? As France I took 5 provinces from Savoy and all of Europe coalitioned me. The Teutons and Poland have 50 AE against me.

How long ago are you interested in looking back? I started playing 3 months ago and basically did the same thing, so any changes to AE happened at least before that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

goodness posted:

As a new player should I hold off on Cossacks expansion?

I was a new player when El Dorado launched, and I decided to hold off because I was worried about learning new systems on top of old systems.

Later, I turned on El Dorado and learned what an idiot I had been for not just playing with El Dorado turned on in the first place.

Do not hold off. Just enable all of the DLC, you won't regret it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I've been playing as England (eventually formed Great Britain), and I think that I cored Paris something like 50 years ago... but I don't have the achievement. I'm definitely on Iron Man Mode, I've been grabbing all sorts of other achievements.

Did I do something obviously wrong? Does the achievement not unlock until the game ends in the 1800s?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TITY BOI posted:

I didn't just miss the stackwipe, i actually came out behind - they killed like 2000 of my guys to my 500. This despite them just having decisively lost the last battle and having one tick of morale.

You probably chased them into a strong defensive position

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Am I misunderstanding how assimilated natives are supposed to work? I colonized Kelang in Taiwan, which had 6000 natives, the tooltip suggesting that this would give +.30 local goods produced. I was also running the 'native trading policy,' which is supposed to give +50% to native assimilation. But when it became a city, my goods produced there is .41 - .4 from base production, and .01 from local natives, which hardly seems worth the trouble at all. What's the deal?

edit: Actually, it's gone up now to .30 - guess it develops over time? But still, that doesn't seem to be any bonus for the trading policy...

According to the wiki, the bonus isn't being applied, currently. So you may as well do one of the other two policies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I don't know why anyone would take anything but the peaceful coexistence policy. Oh boy, I want to do a bunch of extra micro so my colonial subject is slightly more powerful and thus slightly more likely to revolt or give me trouble. :effort:

It takes almost no effort at all.

When you're ready to start colonizing North and South America, you should be bringing over some troops to hunt for the Seven Cities anyway. When you do, bring over extras to serve as garrison troops and just park them on your colonies. From then on, the micro is insignificant. Whenever a colony finishes, move garrison from old colony to new colony. That would totally be worth the +50% trade good boost, if it were working (because harvesting trade income is the whole point of colonizing).

If you're not big enough to park 2 infantry in each colony, or if you really are too lazy to move garrisons every N years as colonies finish, then it's better to just use coexistence

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is that Naples taking over all of North Africa?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

To me what's obnoxious about them is that the UI isn't very useful when dealing with them. For example, if I want to give the nobility a province, I'd ideally want to give them a province with high autonomy and a high proportion of manpower that doesn't have a valuable trade good. But I have to flip through three or four different map modes or multiple ledger pages to figure out what the best province would be. It's very tedious, especially once you start to get big.

That level of micromanagement sounds annoying, I mean it's what you need to do if you want to min/max every last advantage that you can out of the estate systems but it's really not necessary.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Newbie Game 3 as Spain has been going pretty well (previous games were Portugal and England). I've really been enjoying the estate system, and I force-vassalized Portugal but I guess that made stop colonizing things for me, which is a bummer. I swallowed most of North Africa (using a vassal to core the provinces and then integrating the vassal), I got the Iberian wedding and have fully integrated Aragon, and I had to fight 2 wars to keep my PU with Naples.

France is almost completely gone despite taking all of England's continental provinces and despite getting Burgundy for free, their main rivals right now are 6-province Brittany and some other small Germany provinces.

I decided that I'd go for the "become HRE as Spain", but Austria has swallowed huge sections of Germany and is really huge. I still managed to push their poo poo in thanks to help from Poland (and thanks to Quantity), and now I have one of the (currently 4) electors as a vassal. Savoy was my main ally for a long time, but then they decided to ally with someone who I needed to attack so I lost all of my built-up favors. I had spent 10 Favors on the "prepare for war" option, but I'm not sure if that's totally working right now (in a previous war, I told Savoy to Prepare for War and then like 3 months later they declared on someone, in this war they didn't declare on anyone but they weren't willing to join me, but rather were ready to join the other side)

Hey Paradox, I have three suggestions for your really wonderful game:

1) If you have a lot of Favors with someone, please allow those to be spent in the Declare War menu to prevent that ally from joining the other side. So if I'm France allied with Savoy, and I want to attack Austria who are also allied with Savoy, they might otherwise join Austria if I were to attack them; it would be cool if I could spend Favors to prevent this. I'm imagining that you'd have to spend more favors than the other guy has, so in this scenario if Austria had 55 favors with Savoy, to get Savoy to look the other way when I declare war on Austria I'd have to spend at least 65 favors (55 to cancel out all of Austria's favors + an additional 10, or maybe even an additional 20)

2) Could the rivalry system maybe expose its decision-making a little to the player? There were 2-3 different times in this game alone where I was getting ready to go to war with one of my rivals only to have them suddenly drop from my rivalry list. Was it because I was building up my armies? Was it because I was colonizing like crazy? I mean it would have been nice if they had dropped from my list before I spent all of that time and money maxing out my force limit. Well, I'm sure that there's a concern with players trying to game the Rivalry system to get free Power Projection from weakened rivalries, because that's definitely what I want to do. But maybe that's not a bad thing, if you think of it like you would the Mission system, where Rivalries exist to sort of direct your ambition and reward you for attacking someone of comparable size.

3) Further automation in exploration would be nice, either being able to queue up a bunch of already-available exploration missions or having an option to automatically explore like what is done with the 7 Cities of Gold button. Maybe this already exists and I've just missed it, but if it doesn't then it would be a really nice addition.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

You can already use favors to do that, by calling your ally into some garbage war. Spend 10 favors, they are now allied with you in a war, and so can't be called into wars against you.

Burn it all. Compensate for the lost development by conquering more development.

Ehhh it's not really the same, though. The scenario that you're describing is extremely situational and not always easy to pull off; for the garbage war you need 1) a target that is weak militarily, 2) a CB against that target, 3) that target needs to be geographically close to your ally, and 4) your ally needs to not already have good relations with that target. You can possibly spend an additional 10 favors with Prepare For War to make (4) matter less, but in my experience (3) is a total necessity (Savoy won't ever give a poo poo about your war in Africa, for instance). If (1) is untrue then you're basically throwing away manpower and resources on a big war that you didn't want, which is bad. If (2) is untrue then you take a huge AE and stability penalty.

I would much rather be able to burn all or most of my favors just to keep my ally from joining in a war against me when I'm the aggressor. It also makes a lot more sense to be able to do things this way. The proxy war thing that you're describing feels like cheesing a gameplay system, and I don't like having to do that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mentos Dan posted:

I've never played any of these games, what should I pick up during the Steam sale?

Get EU4, at a minimum. For the list of each DLC and what it does, go here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

The Art of War and Common Sense expansions are absolutely critical, as they add a significant number of wartime and peacetime features. The rest of the expansions are also great, but maybe less essential if you just want to sample the game. However, as a first-time player (3 months ago) I jumped in and bought everything (because it was cheap anyway) and didn't regret that at all.

Look at Expansions first, then Flavor Packs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

If you plan on playing Muslims I'd rate their flavor pack (Star and Crescent) as more important than something like Conquest of Paradise which does approximately jack poo poo for everyone that isn't a Native American team (who are tedious to play at the moment anyway).

e: also you can do just fine without any of the expansions. the most important one by far is The Cossacks, which isn't even on sale yet. it's a good time to pick them up (i doubt there'll be another sale for a while; the next dlc is probably a long way off) but don't feel like you have to to be able to enjoy the game.

CK2 is starting to get a bit bloated but it's still good and fun.

We're talking about a new player, so they should probably be starting with easy mode nations like Castille and Portugal (or I guess Ottomans but they're probably not the best nation to start with). But really, nothing in any of the flavor packs is "must have"

And what about The Cossacks makes it the most important expansion? It all seems superfluous to me, a lot of good changes but probably not worth getting at full price if you just want to sample the game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I almost think Trade first might not be a bad idea, I'm most starved for cash and Admin points.

Trade might be good in the short term, but I feel like it'll be worthless in the long term.

How's your military tech looking? If you have some points to spare, I'd say Plutocracy or Quantity. These both have minor economic benefits and good military benefits, and you can always just declare a quick war and loot someone if you need ducats.

Second idea I think you almost have to go Administrative. Really it should be your first idea, IMO, but if you're starved for admin points then there's not much you can do about that.

e; Does Kazan get Aristocratic? That would be really good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that makes +Available Mercenaries bonuses pretty terrible.

Are we talking about regular force limit or mercenary force limit? Because I didn't even realize that there was a hard force limit on mercenaries until today, when as Spain I decided that my income was so high that I might as replace all of my regular infantry with mercenaries

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh god, something really screwed up just happened in my "Spain is the Emperor" game...

France was down to roughly 12 provinces + a big colonial nation in Mexico, and I decided that I wanted to carve off some of that territory so that I could also go for the achievement for having Spanish Mexico + Peru + etc. as colonial nations (I already had the rest, just needed Mexico). So I quickly occupy all of France's territory, pretty quickly they're at 100% warscore and I start figuring out what I want to grab. I basically skipped all of the little single-island crap that they'd colonized, grabbed Armour to Caux for myself, grabbed everything in Mexico except for 4 inland provinces (so that France could continue colonizing inland for me, if they so chose). Racked up to 100% warscore and hit submit

Suddenly France doesn't exist anymore. The game decided to not only give me the 3 French territories + most of Mexico, it gave me all of France's territory, including provinces that I didn't select (and couldn't possibly have selected anyway, for warscore reasons). Curiously, it didn't give me those 4 inland French Mexico provinces, so French Mexico exists but France doesn't.

Now I'm at 250% overextension, whereas I had planned to only be at 50% overextension. One option would be to release territory... but I can't do that right now because right before I sent my terms to France, I entered into a succession war with Austria over Russia. So now I'm in a race to finish the succession war before my country falls apart, I guess?

e: Oh, it looks like most of the provinces in the region also changed to Spanish names. So taking too much French territory must have triggered a renaming of all of the provinces in the French region, but then the newly renamed provinces didn't have an owner so it just gave them to me or something? That kind of sucks

e2: Welp, so much for being Holy Roman Emperor; there are 500k rebels running around in the Iberian peninsula and they're hell-bent on establishing a constitutional republic.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 3, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Okay, so the Spanish empire has completely collapsed and the dozens of rebel groups have had their demands enforced simultaneously. The monarch was removed from power, so the seat of the Holy Roman Empire passed to some German minor state.

Prior to the revolution, I had completely taken over all of Italy (aside from 2 Papal State provinces), all of Northern Africa (including pushing the Ottomans out of Egypt), all of the western coasts of Africa leading down to the cape, part of Ireland, and a big chunk of Southern England. All of these regions are now a mix of independent states, most of which haven't existed for over 100 years, including England (there is now both an England and a Great Britain, where England is all of the provinces that I had previously taken from GB). It's 1747, I doubt that it's possible to regain all of that territory while the cores are still good.

For posterity, I've taken some screenshots of what was formerly 100% Spanish territory. Here's what it looks like when separatist rebels from ~ 30 different nations all get their demands met simultaneously:

I don't think that I can possibly continue playing this save. I can only assume that what I encountered was a bug rather than just an undocumented feature. Hell, I might even have to put down the game after this; I'm not sure if I can handle having another really successful game just suddenly sputter and die for reasons completely beyond my control.

There are weird little holdout provinces here and there that the game didn't deem worth giving to the rebels for whatever reason. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, many French provinces that were definitely listed as Rebel Demands are still Spanish. And everything in the Iberian Peninsula is still Spain; I guess once you form Spain and get cores on everything the rebels for freeing Portugal or Leon or whatever else just never show up.

e: Weird, see Tunis down there in Sus? That's the only province that Tunis got, right in the middle of Morocco. The rest of what Tunis originally was fed by me to Touggourt, so now Touggourt has all of those provinces. And Spain still has some of them too, for whatever reason.

The game also decided to give Tunis a stack of 120 regiments hanging out in Tripoli, which they do not own. This is very very weird, as I'll repeat myself: Tunis only has one province.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 3, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VDay posted:

To whoever earlier was using this as their baseline for a WC, this run is pretty ridiculous. Like at some point he just casually drills into an unbroken Ming and takes Beijing by 1540. My WC run went so well that I had time to take religious and get the every province is your religion achievement too, and this dude beat me by like 50 years.

What does he mean by "a blocking vassal"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Everyone keeps talking up how easy it is to manage estates and then forget about them for bonuses. Isn't the point of estates to give you internal peacetime politics?

If you choose to just ignore the estates then their influence will never build up high enough to be dangerous, so in that case you're getting a small passive benefit for doing nothing.

If you choose to engage with the estates then you can squeeze some really great benefits out of them. This gives people another peacetime activity with tangible rewards for successful estate management.

You could see estates as "internal peacetime politics", I suppose, which means that the people who want that feature now have it. And the people who don't want to engage with estates aren't any worse off, they just don't get additional benefits.

Larry Parrish posted:

People in this thread talk up estates because people have been masturbating in this thread about peacetime politics forever, and also how they also take Humanism and never culture convert provinces because they are roleplaying I guess. Estates are not fun to manage whatsoever although the bonuses are nice. Dhimmi estate is the worst so far.

I like playing the Influence management game in exchange for superior advisors, but it's cool if you don't enjoy it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

The diplomatic changes are mostly a hindrance to the player rather than a help. Nothing has changed in the way the AI handles diplomacy. It doesn't make it any easier to get your allies to help you, instead it adds an extra hoop you have to jump through for it. I guess if you earn a bunch of favors you can increase your ally's trust, but I've had allies with 100 trust break the alliance and rival me with no warning.

This has been my opinion as well; the Favors system basically just slows me way down at the start of an alliance (when I have no favors).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paradox posted:

... resulted in some undesirable results like Nobility provinces actually reducing manpower if the country also had quantity...

lol I didn't even notice that, hilarious

Paradox posted:

making it so that developing Estate provinces increases their loyalty.

That's a great idea and makes total sense

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm playing as Golden Horde, I vassalized Georgia and spanked Crimea, Muscovy and Kazan. But then Ottomans rivaled me and now I'm getting destroyed by them. I allied Uzbek and Timurids, but neither of them joined my defensive war. I'm not really sure what to do about this. I have about 40 regiments to their 80, plus I'm constantly running a -10 ducat deficit. Warscore is about 20% and the minimum demand that they want is like 15 provinces, which I'm certain is just going to turn this into a losing game for me as they continue feeding on my territory. Is this the inevitable outcome of a typical GH campaign?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lori posted:

The multiplayer game is starting tomorrow at 15:00 EST (20:00 GMT) if anybody wants to throw his or her hat in at the last moment to play the Game of Thrones. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743383

I'm hesitant because I'm not really able to commit to weekly full play sessions. Would that be okay? Is it possible to join as a random nation every couple weeks, or join as a nation that the host feels like would be worth having a human control it for that day but that would otherwise be computer controlled?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

Are hordes even worth it without having the Cossacks dlc?

People always said that hordes were pretty fun pre-Cossacks, but the changes in Cossacks are so significant and good that I'd almost see it as a necessity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I keep butting my head against getting a good Aztec run going, but I think I'm having trouble balancing my country strength with my ability to keep the Doom level down. If I take too many provinces for myself, then Doom racks up really quickly and I wind up being unable to pass any religious reforms. If I don't take enough provinces for myself then I can't take back the vassals that get released when I pass religious reforms. This is a very interesting balancing game, I like it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

How does that go in the new patch? I feel things like that and the Japanese daimyos don't really work with the new diplomacy stuff.

It's a rough start; there's usually only 1 country that will ally you on day 1, possibly 2 countries if the web of rivalries works out. From there you have to hope that the web of alliances that forms in the next couple of months doesn't prevent you from invading one of the countries that's next to your ally, since that's the only way that they'll join your war. Within about 6 months things have solidified; declare war on someone with only 1-2 allies, use your king's awesome military prowess to wipe out their military, and repeat on whoever tries to march on your capital. Then start chasing around the single-unit stacks that form until they run out of manpower.

So realistically, the only diplomacy downside in the new patch as Aztecs is that you have to declare on someone who's next to your only ally, since you'll need to promise them land. Estates are also sort of bad for Aztecs, since you get the normal clergy/nobility/traders but you really need all of your provinces working for you with minimum autonomy in order to keep re-dominating the region.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dear Paradox,

If I hit "Exit to Menu", I don't want the entire client to shut down and then restart itself. That's so insane that it almost makes me wish that "Exit to Menu" wasn't an option.

Also, if I back out of starting a new singleplayer game, why does the client close and restart itself? Is that really necessary?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just tried to do the Big Blue Blob achievement but by 1485 I was only at 75 provinces and practically all of Western Europe + Morocco had joined in a coalition against me. And then suddenly Morocco was like "let's get this thing started" and declares war and that's where I stopped playing last night; I'm concerned that dealing with the war is going to take too much time and that I might already not have enough provinces anyway.

My route was to slowly gobble up Castille and Portugal while breaking into Scotland, Sweden, and Norway for the cheap provinces there. Granada grew rather large in the meantime which gave me some lucky low-AE grabs but that didn't really stop the entire world from hating me.

• Locked thread