Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How does development interact with missionaries? Can you gently caress yourself over by improving them too much so you can never convert them after the reformation?

Also the English Monarchy can be ignored after the first decision to get +1 base tax in two provinces, reroll starts until you get enough seats for increased autonomy to push that trough, then pretend the button went away.

What this game still needs is a way to fix bad monarchs, there's just too much depending on their stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I finally managed to get an England game going, managed to enforce the PU over France, got half of europe into a coalition against me and then 7 loving months after enforcing that PU my King dies....

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever had their Caribbean CN actually use their colonists to colonize more of the islands?

Also the bigger you get the more unbalanced/useless the English Parliament becomes, yes I'll bribe 20 loving seats to gain 2x 1 base production.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Are you allowed to form Prussia for the Teutonic Order achievement?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really miss the fact that you could join a call to arms and occupy the war target to prevent your ally from taking that province

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Has anyone done the "Better than Napoleon" achievement? I am kinda wondering how you get 100 provinces that fast, and how you even get points to core that poo poo.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

So can someone explain the benefits of parliament and debates? I love the idea but the rewards mostly seem like poo poo vs what you have to pay to pass them. For instance to win a debate that gave me like 1 base tax and 1 manpower in a province I had to spend about 200 MP, a nearly a thousand golds, and some prestige and republican tradition to get it to pass. I could have bought those base tax's with about 150 MP. When ever I stop to do a cost/benefit on most of the debate bonuses they don't really add up, at least not if you're a large country with tons of MP's to bribe.

I consider the mechanic a waste of dev time by now, it works if you have 4-8 seats and after that it is never worth it, not even the +Colonist for 10 years is worth it. The bribes are way to expensive and the benefits way too small. Which is why I don't get this at all:

quote:

- Parliament Issues that boost base values of provinces will now only do so in one province per debate.
- Some Parliament bribes that were far too cheap were made more expensive.

The tax increase was only worth it if you could get for cheap non-MP bribes in the first place. And none of the bribes are cheap, making them more expensive makes a bad mechanic even worse. If anything the number of provinces per seat needs to go up and the bribes made cheaper for the system to be worth anything.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It is 1571, there's 3 Protestant electors but no League event, what other criteria are there?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

event posted:

OR = {
emperor = {
exists = yes
NOT = { war_with = FRA }
}
emperor = {
exists = no
}
}

Does anyone know how this part of the King of Burgundy Dies event behaves if you're the emperor as France?
The emperor exists and is not at war with FRA since he is FRA. So the event should be able to trigger, right?

I've waited with triggering wars against Burgundy until I am emperor in the hopes I'd inherit them entirely, but now I am not sure if I can even do that.

vvv Ah thanks, so my plan is gonna work, now to DoW them and keep the war going until the event fires, got over 900 dip for war exhaustion

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 1, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

You get everything.

Ok I can now confirm this, easiest way to get the BBB achievement, now to PU Muscowy for the next part of this.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Jackson Taus posted:

How are you doing this, are you vassalizing electors or are you bribing them somehow? Which electors did you vassalize?

I restarted until I got my dynasty onto the Bohemian throne, then I vassalized Mainz and the Palatinate (who lost territory in a war).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I only just realized how hard it is to convince a monarchy to become a Free City, it seems kinda impossible. I guess for that achiev you have to hunt down the non germanic republics?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Centers of Reformation targeting the Papal State is such a loving bullshit thing. Because of the 30 year -100% missionary chance you can't evade 30 years of bullshit at all, unless you know about it and go humanist, which imo is a bad idea group for that nation.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how the Kingdom of God decision works in Common Sense? Is it actually worth now or still as bad as most other country forming decisions?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Chaining most of the boring history railroading to Lucky Nations and making Lucky Nations optional for achievements would make this game a lot more fun. I personally prefer seeing all those weird things like Tunisian Iceland or Hanseatic Socotra.

Some things should be fixed in general tough, like Austria conquering the HRE instead of expanding it. Maybe there should be more missions and rewards for that, make sure there's enough incentive for the AI to keep Italy in the HRE. It might also make sense if the emperor could offer outside countries an HRE membership via diplomatic option and/or enforce that in a war. It would be interesting if you could for example enforce the HRE membership of Venice via war, while keeping them alive.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Lucky Nation bonuses would be more fun if they'd be redistributed every decade or so, instead of some of the most powerful nations getting even more bonuses.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

My best bud France just made me their rival and broke our alliance. Why would they ever do that to me... is there anyway to get them back?

Check their missions, this often happens when someone takes a mission to take your lands.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
And even if they form one, it's not the end of the world, keep enough manpower and cash on hand and they wont even attack you. You can also preemptively go to war with an ally of a big coalition member to bleed their manpower so they can't contribute in an expected punitive war.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Trujillo posted:

Am I the only one who gets tripped up by the region mapmode when going for achievements? I thought the blue was all of the western balkans so I didn't care how much AE I was going to get because I'd be done with dracula's revenge then this happened:

All I did was take four Croatian provinces. If you take land from someone you didn't check off on the war dec is your AE doubled?

I am not sure what the exact modifier is, but yes there is a negative modifier for taking land from countries that weren't cobelligerent. This is really funny in the HRE if you want to end an alliance and make an old ally an easy target.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
From my England games it felt that it is utter poo poo if you have more than like 20 provinces, they really need to make the rewards scale or reduce the amounts of seats/bribes that are needed. It is one of those things that is straight out bad and actually provable so by some simple math. No idea why they even implemented it like this.

As for the Exchange of Ideas policy, you need to plan on when to use it and you need the right ruler for it. From back when I did the math I figured you need at least +3 in the relevant monarch skill and preferably be free to move your focus. Obviously you also want to have saved up points to the cap before activating the policy. If you do it in the right situation you can save a bit more than 200 MP, but it is very situational.
As a general rule it is only worth it if you can unlock at least 4 ideas during the 10 years.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

VDay posted:

Also not having a debate is a -.5 legitimacy penalty, which can often be completed nullified. In that case you're just giving a ton of your provinces free bonuses, with an occasionally good bonus from a debate that you can probably easily afford to win.

I disagree with this, the stab and WE penalties are way worse than the bonus you get for having a seat in that province. The kicker are the bribes, you'll need to bribe half the seats at least and some of the effects are just loving horrible, at some point one of the seats had a loving -5 Imperial Authority, that's over 3 years worth of IA for one loving bribe.
That whole poo poo needs to be rebalanced badly imo, either make the bonuses scale or reduce the bribes, as it is there's an optimal size which is less than 20 provinces and anything above that it becomes useless unless RNG hugely favors you and gives you the 2-3 bribe types that might actually be worth it.
Like who in their right mind would pay 1 mercantilism to gain 1 out of 20ish votes?

In the end everyone has their own opinion, to me the whole system seemed an utter waste of my and dev time (someone had to code this poo poo), if you're playing an England that annexed the British Isles and has some continental holdings you might as well ignore the whole thing.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Wuet88 posted:

Finally got Big Blue Blob. It only took about 10+ attempts with a few regencies and generally getting destroyed by coalitions. I also only had burgundy split one time in all my attempts, when it happened it made the achievement much easier, but my king and heir died around 1480.

Didn't take a screenshot of 1500 but I got the last core around January 1499.

I'm going to do Better than Napoleon now but anything else I should try for?

One of the keys for it is to use the economic map and just go for the cheapest land you can find. I see you did that too.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is there an easy way I could start an Ottoman game and become a republic?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Another Person posted:

Admin republic is pretty great if you expect to be conquering. That autonomy reduction is huge.

It's what I wanted for my Ottoman game but guess it's too tricky to change to that. Maybe I'll just try an other nation to get an achievement on the way to the 1mil manpower one.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Weird things happen when you play multiplayer and work together.

The Ottomans near Tunisia look a bit funny because they are being sieged down by the... Livionian Order!
Mali is westernized and kicking the poo poo out of Portugal.
Sadly I didn't pay enough attention so I am not sure how Hormuz got that big

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Taberstan -> Persia is such a fun run, we all got so utterly crippled in my last war for the last cores that 5 years after forming Persia with the minimal cores I got most of the rest from rebels.

Abolition of slavery might be triggered by the even that gives the pope +1 stability and an event for everyone with a colonial nation for either + or - opinion.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How exactly did you get there?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Because noble republics rule, and as a sunni who can't get PUs it's even more worth it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Well you gotta give them some slack, it must have sucked being HRE but your own namesake castle isn't in your domain. (the Habsburg is in Aargau, Switzerland)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I feel like they should be a lot more likely to forge claims with military leaders or if there's same culture group land with their neighbours, maybe have the overlords' rivals influence that too.

If Moldavia is super happy with me as their overlord, and I have the OE set as rival they should totally make claims on those same culture group provinces.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How hard would it be for them to add decisions to the game that reflect achievements, just to make it easier to track in game. Like for This is Persia you'd have a decision for some prestige or whatever that list all the requirements. Maybe remove some of the "has changed tag" limitations from some achievements to make the criteria for the decisions easier.
To not bloat the decision screen to much maybe only do it for the country specific ones and the "own india" "own Japan" etc.

Why am I asking for this, because I am too stupid to read and got the 1 mil manpower achievement at the same time with the This is Persia one. Ok it also had to do with super Austria (Bohemia, Hungary PU'd + Burgundian Inheritance) who was allied with Muscowy, Spain and Great Britain + minors protecting Venice.

Edit: does anyone know if Chinaware is actually limited to China/Indochina or can it spawn from colonies or even in the new world?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Allyn posted:

It can fire in colonies, but only in the Indonesian region or in province 738, which appears to be Taiwan. You can't get it in the new world.

Ah thanks, think I'll give Meissner Porcelain a try after the Arabian coffee one, should be fun to conquer China as Saxony, guess the way to go will be HRE -> revoke privilegia. That development discount sure looks interesting to play with too.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I got a 2 province Iraq as vassal, they are Shia as are both their provinces, I use the vassal interface to enforce religion, they change to sunni, one month later they are back to shia but keep the huge liberty desire..... looks like they are taking a decision to change religion. This really should be fixed, make enforce religion change the religion of their capital province or make it disable that decision.

vvvv Yes annexing an overlord usually makes you the new overlord, at least used to.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

When you turn off lucky nations, this is what happens.

Hate to beat a dead horse but lucky nations does not prevent super powers from collapsing, it just makes the game more annoying.

Gitro posted:

For the Switzerlake achievement, must you never own any ports, or just no ports at the time you own 99 provinces?

The achievement triggers as soon as you get rid of your last coastal province and have the 99 provinces cored. Vassal provinces don't count.

They should add an achievement called Snake, have a continuous land connection from the Atlantic to the Sea of Taiwan but less than X provinces, however few are needed for this to really be a snake and not a blob.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

There is no way to make a Mac Ironman save in the Steam cloud load on a Windows box is there?

I have no problems with this, I've played the same steam cloud save games on my iMac at work and on my Wintendo at home. EU4 and Clausewitz saves in general are just text files that define the state and history of the game, it's why it's so easy to edit them.

Sheep posted:

It appears that Lithuania retains the lucky flag even if they're in a personal union under a PC Poland.

Anyone know if this also works with vassals (esp. those who are forced)? I am going to need another overpowered general creating vassal after I form the Commonwealth and Brandenburg would work well.
Whenever I vassalized a lucky nation they lost the lucky tag, I think it's different for PUs tough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

I'm playing a Papal States game and these centers of reformation won't leave me alone. Like 75% of my country is wrong religion and there's nothing to do about it. What a big fart.

This happened in my Papal States multiplayer game too, and I see it happen to the AI every other game. The CoF are in England/Scandinavia and it will still convert provinces owned by the Pope first.

The really disturbing thing? I've not seen this mentioned as a bug or something fixed with the beta patch.

Let me tell you a Story about Meissner Porzelan and the Saxon way to reach China

I got the achievement and the ugliest borders ever. After eating my vassal Astrakhan I ended up with a production income of over 600 ducats a month and I learned you can't have trade companies if you have a land connection.
For anyone else doing this, I would go full out production or full out trade if I did this again. If you go full out production you need Admin ideas for the coring cost, ending up as HRE by accident also helps with that. If you go full out trade you will want protectorates.

Bonus fun point? I reached the Philippines before Portugal and blocked Russia from Siberia with my colonies.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 3, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Pope and Defender of the Faith (for Catholicism) should get CB's on any holder of a Center of Reformation

I feel you should also get a CB on the owner of a CoF that is converting a province of yours.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You could just conquer Vienna and westernize via decision, afaik it is available for the entire Eastern tech group.

Edit: actually even easier, get Danzig.

Wiki posted:

If your tech group is Eastern technology group Eastern or Ottoman technology group Anatolian, Westernisation can be much simpler. By having Danzig, Wien, or Prague as a core province with no separatism and 1 Icon stability.png stability, one can westernize via decision if at peace.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That is how they usually work, what I've seen happen in a couple of games is that the CoF spawns in Scandinavia or England and instantly starts converting provinces owned by the Papal State, this almost ruined my own Papal States game and made some other europe games a huge mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno about your recent playthroughs but I did an Austria game in the beta patch and I think it'd be really tough if not impossible to pass Ewiger Landfriede until after the Reformation and league wars. The trickle of IA you get is only enough for a few reforms pre-Reformation, and once you get heretic members you'll get virtually no (or even negative) IA. I aggressively stamped out centers of Reformation, proclaimed Catholic empire and eradicated literally all the Protestant and Reformed nations by 1620, but I still am like two reforms from Landfriede.

If you really want to go for that, it is well possible but you need some luck in there. In my Saxony game I helped Austria abusing my allies Sweden and Muscowy to get all of Italy into the HRE while I added all my Polish and Crimean lands over time. They were 15-20 IA short of passing the reform, if they weren't poo poo and would have managed their alliances better they could have done it.

I would assume that Ewiger Landfriede before the reformation breaks the HRE mechanics and you will not get any IA after that ever again, but if you want to go for it here's some things I plan to do:
- Pray for the Burgundian Inheritance
- Neumark or whatever TO province has a Brandenburg core needs to be returned asap
- Support Swedish independence and release Holstein (Denmark is cheap to core so if you can, you should conquer it)
- Make claims on Venice, your priority is to return Milan's core
Those are the basics to get rid of the penalty for HRE provinces being in non-HRE member hands

Once you have that, focus on Italy, the Pope is the biggest problem there, you want to force vassalize The Papal State, annex them, add it all to the HRE and then accept the event to release them again. This will hurt your diplo rep so make sure you got your electors under control and a good chunk of IA.
If Naples is independent by this point, conquer them too, their lands are cheap and will give you easy IA.

After that it is kinda straight forward, you need to either PU or annex Hungary and the conquer the cheap provinces from the Balkans over to Crimea. Poland is also a good target for some cheap land but that depends on your alliances.

Ignore France or better yet, restart until you can ally them.

Note: HRE member states that are not the emperor don't seem to add newly conquered provinces to the HRE ever so don't give Milan Venice's provinces. There probably should be an AI fix for that or add a bonus for HRE members adding lands or a penalty for them having non-HRE lands.

Edit: Forgot this, if a ruler has less than 3 admin he is a general, good luck with that siege, I hope none of those stray bullets hit you.

• Locked thread