Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Sheep posted:

Employed mercenaries never update AFAIK. You have to dismiss them and hire new ones.

Edit: unit type of mercenaries available on the hiring screen are a function of who has cores on the province in question, and should update monthly.

This is something I really wish mercenaries would do. Or at least, an option to pay and upgrade them like you can boats. Reorganizing armies for new mercenaries is a little tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I only hire mercenaries when fighting a war so it has never been a problem for me. They recruit so fast that I don't see why you would have them active during peace.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Zettace posted:

I only hire mercenaries when fighting a war so it has never been a problem for me. They recruit so fast that I don't see why you would have them active during peace.

Laziness, if you don't have admin and you want more than 7 merc regiments in your army at once, or so you can have your 2 pip starting infantry conducting sieges backed by state of the art artillery in 1780.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Node posted:

I love Quantity but thats probably because I'm terrible at conserving manpower during wars.

Although I do think it is a legitimate first military choice for manpower/force limit starved nations like Portugal, or even Inca.

I don't know if Inca are really manpower starved once they get going in South America, but that being said it helps to have extra guys when you may have to fight European countries at a tech disadvantage. Aztec have the same problem.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do you lose trust if you separate peace? Or do you just not gain any? Or do you still gain trust, but have the -30 separate peace modifier?

Dreylad posted:

I don't know if Inca are really manpower starved once they get going in South America, but that being said it helps to have extra guys when you may have to fight European countries at a tech disadvantage. Aztec have the same problem.

I felt like it was enormously helpful. Again, it could be me just being bad at wars, but when conquering the other Andean tribes I was manpower starved. The low supply limit from mountains doesn't help either.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Node posted:

I felt like it was enormously helpful. Again, it could be me just being bad at wars, but when conquering the other Andean tribes I was manpower starved. The low supply limit from mountains doesn't help either.

Quantity + Expansion gives you +1 colonist and +10 settler growth, if you're racing to seal off parts of the continent or just want to expand cheaper and faster it's pretty handy.

Defensive makes your troops better, a bit cheaper and gives you more leeway in fighting enemy armies, since they'll be stuck on forts longer, but quantity doubles up on cost reductions and replicates the flexibility with larger forcelimits,. Offensive gives you better leaders and troops as well as a forcelimit increase, but doesn't help with manpower and the forcelimit increase isn't even half of quantity's.

Since the naval game is basically an economic contest between stacks of heavies, especially if you can't necessarily compete with enemy armies, the 25% naval forcelimit is pretty huge. Taking quantity and defensive will take you to a base of -45% land attrition with your NIs,, which is especially nice if you're going to be sieging jungles a lot.

If you feel like you've gotten enough forcelimits to cover your country, your manpower's in good shape and you don't want or need the extra colonist/settler growth, defensive is probably a better pick to replicate most of quantity's effects. Manpower recovery is a pretty great boost, and the naval forcelimits bonus is going to be hard to come by from many other ideas worth taking.

I love having a big, cheap army, so I pretty much always take quantity as my first or second military NI.

I don't play republics often, but holy poo poo, how good is Plutocratic? Goods produced, manpower recovery, morale and a free merchant? Aristocratic feels even more underwhelming now.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Node posted:

Yeah, I was in the same boat. Conquering Andean tribes was largely manpower limited. I had a few situations where I was truce-limited but not many at all, and not lengthy waits, whereas waiting a few years for manpower wasn't an uncommon occurrence.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Strangling the Commonwealth in the crib and doing anything to get one of them to hold the other's cores will go a long way towards making them waste a bunch of effort on each other. Purposely tanking Poland's prestige is how I managed to win my Baltic Crusader game. I got lucky and had them rival eachother though. I didn't engineer it myself. The just happened to lose Historical Friend because of Denmark or some poo poo like that.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Really, if you're bordered by any lucky nation, it is very much in your interests to strangle them in the crib. How many good things can possibly come out of letting France run around doing whatever it wants?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Well, France is not that bad to border. It typically does not extend past its culture group. Austria, Brandenburg, Ottomans, Portugal (for Africa) and the Commonwealth however... kill em quick.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Jesus, this Russia redo is another failure. Its 1540, I only have 75 provinces. I managed to sneak Danzig from P/L after my day one DOW on Novgorod. P/L declared war two times afterwards. I white peaced out the first one, but when I was at admin tech 9 they declared again and my allies Brandenburg, Hungary were weak and Austria flat out denied the call to arms. I drug the war out long enough so that they accepted a concession of defeat. I immediately sold Danzig to Pomerania. Have fun with that, you jerks.

Kazan and Crimea are allied to the Ottomans and I can't get any help warring them. I can only afford 50 of my 100 force limit. I think this game is already hosed 100 years in.

I did the idea suggestions but I either suck, or got really bad luck with Ottomans allying my neighbors and P/L declaring war while my allies were weak.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

StashAugustine posted:

How long does it take for mercenaries to update to the latest unit?

If you're talking about mercenaries you've already hired that exist on the map, never.

If you're asking about how long it takes the build units tab to update with new mercs it depends. If you have the latest mil-tech required for that unit, mercs of that sort should start showing up within a month or two. If you do not yet have the tech, but some of your neighbors do, you will start getting a mix of your units and the newer foreign units available as mercs.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Jesus, this Russia redo is another failure. Its 1540, I only have 75 provinces. I managed to sneak Danzig from P/L after my day one DOW on Novgorod. P/L declared war two times afterwards. I white peaced out the first one, but when I was at admin tech 9 they declared again and my allies Brandenburg, Hungary were weak and Austria flat out denied the call to arms. I drug the war out long enough so that they accepted a concession of defeat. I immediately sold Danzig to Pomerania. Have fun with that, you jerks.

Kazan and Crimea are allied to the Ottomans and I can't get any help warring them. I can only afford 50 of my 100 force limit. I think this game is already hosed 100 years in.

I did the idea suggestions but I either suck, or got really bad luck with Ottomans allying my neighbors and P/L declaring war while my allies were weak.

Is the Golden Horde around? In my game I cut straight south through them and eventually through to Persia. I also conquered west through Stockholm and coast jumped to Sjeeland for the trade centre, but that was easy with the help of the PLC, so that depends if Sweden is independent and who its allies are.

Lithuania is just really hard even by itself so you need some luck, maybe even having Sweden as an ally.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

How can I best coax rebels to actually progress and take over more provinces? I had revolutionary rebels pop up in the 1600s, and the game told me that if they won, they'd turn my realm into a constitutional republic. I've got Common Sense but haven't played as England yet, so I haven't yet gotten to play with Parliamentary mechanics. I really want to check them out and I guess a constitutional republic would be a good way to go about that, so how do I get those rebels to do things?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

How can I best coax rebels to actually progress and take over more provinces? I had revolutionary rebels pop up in the 1600s, and the game told me that if they won, they'd turn my realm into a constitutional republic. I've got Common Sense but haven't played as England yet, so I haven't yet gotten to play with Parliamentary mechanics. I really want to check them out and I guess a constitutional republic would be a good way to go about that, so how do I get those rebels to do things?

what are they doing right now? if they are sitting on your capital, then just wait, there is a timer on how long rebs can hold your cap for before enforcing demands. if not, wait for them to hit fortresses and instruct your men you sortie them and let them take them.

e; don't be at war

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They'll always sit around for a while after taking a province, how long have you been waiting? If they have to cross a straight or something it might not work out, but otherwise they're pretty good at navigating. They could be glitched out too, reload the game to refresh them.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Will I get the full French Revolution stuff if I'm France going revolutionary through the Aspiration for Liberty disaster? I'm guessing I don't, which is why I've been holding it off until now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What specifically changed that made Austria constantly lose the emperorship? Cause it's happened every game within a hundred years of game start, except one where it took two hundred.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

AI values allies who are strong and most electors are not strong. So Austria doesn't get the electoral opinion bonus from being allied/royal married.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TTBF posted:

AI values allies who are strong and most electors are not strong. So Austria doesn't get the electoral opinion bonus from being allied/royal married.

In my games Austria allies Genoa without fail but almost never Brandenburg, Saxony, or any other German electors

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
IA is harder to generate and having a pool of it sitting around helps a lot toward getting elected, that might be part of it. Reforms pass quite a bit slower.

Austria is also a fair bit weaker relative to their neighbors than they have been previously, most notably the Papal State and Hungary are pretty scary right now. Hungary I think starts with more development than Austria, a god-general, and often is rivaled or not allied to Austria. For the first few decades there's a good chance Austria and Hungary will end up on opposing sides of a war and it's quite an even match. I pretty regularly see them fight to a stalemate and make Austria otherwise ineffective in the war, Tyrol seems to pop loose fairly often.

France and England don't start in the middle of the HYW so maybe Austria is getting into wars with France or England a few years earlier.

Edit: the Pope often takes Provence adjacent to Avignon and from there is quite a beast.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 8, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StashAugustine posted:

What specifically changed that made Austria constantly lose the emperorship? Cause it's happened every game within a hundred years of game start, except one where it took two hundred.

It's their unwillingness to ally with electors. I tried just allying them manually, and Austria hangs on to it no problem. They generally only have trouble holding on to it for the first couple decades. After that they usually have enough IA built up to hold on to the title, at least until the Reformation fires.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tsyni posted:

Is the Golden Horde around? In my game I cut straight south through them and eventually through to Persia. I also conquered west through Stockholm and coast jumped to Sjeeland for the trade centre, but that was easy with the help of the PLC, so that depends if Sweden is independent and who its allies are.

Lithuania is just really hard even by itself so you need some luck, maybe even having Sweden as an ally.

Sweden lost its first independence war, and then when Denmark didn't inherit them upon death, lost a war to Denmark's allies (including P/L) and a bunch of territory. So this game has the rare occasion where Sweden doesn't become a powerhouse.

I'm probably going to restart since having only 75 provinces by 1540 is really bad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It seems a bit silly to me that the Ewiger Landfriede reform prevents HRE members from actually starting the religious war, since the leagues are basically a symptom of the princes of the empire not acknowledging the authority of the emperor/imperial law. Actually, given the massive breakdown in relations/authority it represents, perhaps the imperial reforms simply shouldn't be active if the religious leagues are?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It seems a bit silly to me that the Ewiger Landfriede reform prevents HRE members from actually starting the religious war, since the leagues are basically a symptom of the princes of the empire not acknowledging the authority of the emperor/imperial law. Actually, given the massive breakdown in relations/authority it represents, perhaps the imperial reforms simply shouldn't be active if the religious leagues are?

I dunno about your recent playthroughs but I did an Austria game in the beta patch and I think it'd be really tough if not impossible to pass Ewiger Landfriede until after the Reformation and league wars. The trickle of IA you get is only enough for a few reforms pre-Reformation, and once you get heretic members you'll get virtually no (or even negative) IA. I aggressively stamped out centers of Reformation, proclaimed Catholic empire and eradicated literally all the Protestant and Reformed nations by 1620, but I still am like two reforms from Landfriede.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I did 4 games in my EVE/dei gratia mashup.

Everyone dies to rebels and Persian sufis want to give my land as Persia to Hassa

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jesus diplomacy in the HRE is a bitch, I think I had a smoother time as the Guarani than the Hansa.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno about your recent playthroughs but I did an Austria game in the beta patch and I think it'd be really tough if not impossible to pass Ewiger Landfriede until after the Reformation and league wars. The trickle of IA you get is only enough for a few reforms pre-Reformation, and once you get heretic members you'll get virtually no (or even negative) IA. I aggressively stamped out centers of Reformation, proclaimed Catholic empire and eradicated literally all the Protestant and Reformed nations by 1620, but I still am like two reforms from Landfriede.
Playing modded non-beta patch, though I haven't touched the HRE outside province balance and breaking up the Hansa into its constituent parts. Anyway, I don't think the difficulty of the reform should really matter in this case, because it simply doesn't make sense, and it kinda blows to have to force the emperor to revoke a reform (against all their billion allies while you don't get the other league on your side) as an outsider, or just be unable to do poo poo as an HRE member because the laws you're sorta rebelling against says you're not allowed to. Short of having revoked the privilegia I don't think any reforms should prevent the religious war leader from declaring war on the emperor. (Meaning any Protestant country could start the league if Erbkaisertum had been declared) Like, why should the empire of all places be immune to internal religious wars/rebellions, just because they passed a reform?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dumb thing that never thought about much: is it better to convert or core first?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Node posted:

Sweden lost its first independence war, and then when Denmark didn't inherit them upon death, lost a war to Denmark's allies (including P/L) and a bunch of territory. So this game has the rare occasion where Sweden doesn't become a powerhouse.

I'm probably going to restart since having only 75 provinces by 1540 is really bad.

Depending on which provinces those are, that doesn't sound so bad.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Transmetropolitan posted:

Dumb thing that never thought about much: is it better to convert or core first?

Generally conversion will lower the revolt risk in the province by a much larger amount, and you usually only have a limited amount of missionaries, so you want to get them working asap. If you're having widespread revolt risk and a province is contributing a substantial amount of overextension, it might be better to core it first.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Depending on which provinces those are, that doesn't sound so bad.

Golden Horde, Novgorod, a bit of Nogai, and maybe 5 of those are colonies.

Do you think I should keep going, or restart? I'm westernized, have a lovely Tsarina, and can't really touch the PLC. Kazan and Crimea are allied to the Ottomans, and my allies Austria, Hungary, and Brandenburg won't help with those wars. I can chew through the Caucuses at a horrible cost to admin, or go through Uzbek and Nogai.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Generally conversion will lower the revolt risk in the province by a much larger amount, and you usually only have a limited amount of missionaries, so you want to get them working asap. If you're having widespread revolt risk and a province is contributing a substantial amount of overextension, it might be better to core it first.

Also if you're someone like an orthodox country or Najd who can stack a bunch of conversion chance and tolerance of the true faith converting first is usually the best bet.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Node posted:

Golden Horde, Novgorod, a bit of Nogai, and maybe 5 of those are colonies.

Do you think I should keep going, or restart? I'm westernized, have a lovely Tsarina, and can't really touch the PLC. Kazan and Crimea are allied to the Ottomans, and my allies Austria, Hungary, and Brandenburg won't help with those wars. I can chew through the Caucuses at a horrible cost to admin, or go through Uzbek and Nogai.

If you're doing the exploration thing, just keep going and don't expand militarily in Europe until an opening presents itself. Focus on colonization and Asian conquests. If you get to Asia and find Ming has either conquered or allied everything then yeah, a restart is in order.

e: I've been coring first mostly, but I recently shifted to converting as many as I can at once and coring the rest. You should convert in colonial areas first (so non-Europe if you're European) because of how the rebels work. If you have a core, the rebels will spawn with your tech group. If you don't, they'll spawn with a much lower tech group. So converting first really helps out.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 8, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is this a joke? Are the Ottomans in the 1444 start super sayians or some poo poo? How the gently caress are they capable of supporting an army of 30 while simultaneously supporting a fleet of 37 ships. I tried pulling the ol' attack while Ottomans are across the Bosporus stunt with Byzantium but there is no loving way I can even build 37 ships.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Is this a joke? Are the Ottomans in the 1444 start super sayians or some poo poo? How the gently caress are they capable of supporting an army of 30 while simultaneously supporting a fleet of 37 ships. I tried pulling the ol' attack while Ottomans are across the Bosporus stunt with Byzantium but there is no loving way I can even build 37 ships.

They build way over their naval forcelimits because its mostly galleys and they can afford to. You really need to get a good ally for the first war, so you can actually beat them on the ground.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agnostalgia posted:

They build way over their naval forcelimits because its mostly galleys and they can afford to. You really need to get a good ally for the first war, so you can actually beat them on the ground.

Is there even any Allies capable of stunting that kind of poo poo in the region? I checked Hungary, PLC, and Austria aren't possible to improve for Alliance in my past 5 attempts. The regional states are all on truce until Dec 1449 so they're useless for offensive wars. Even if I did dupe Austria or Hungary into a war they're land powers and I can't manage parity with the Ottomans.

Also it was 50/50 galleys and light ships.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The fact that the AI is dumb and makes light ships is the only reason Byzantium starts are possible, you just have to hyper focus your economy onto nothing but spamming galleys, destroy the fort in Morea, 0 army maintenance etc. then make sure you DoW the OE while your galley stack is parked on top of one of their smaller stacks in the Sea of Marmara.

OE is pretty wealthy though right from the start.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Does winning a coalition war reduce AE if you do not take anything from it? Just a concession of defeat, or white peace.

Trying to lose 200AE with all of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thank you, Semen.

• Locked thread