Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jabarto posted:

"Hey let's make a resource that's required for literally everything and can only be obtained through random die rolls the player has no ability to influence! They'll love it!"

Well, you can just let your lovely heirs get killed in sieges until you roll a good one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, I like the idea of province development but it seems to be an alternative to normal expansion. Like, it'll probably make it a lot easier to play some merchant republic or colonizer and become huge without expanding your European borders much. Other than that I don't expect to use it much.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm not a fan of being able to demand provinces you haven't occupied. Sure it's handy to take away random islands or whatever but maybe it should only work on provinces that aren't in a fort's area of influence?

I'm trying to play Granada and Castille is able to sit in my one remaining Spanish province, get a ticking warscore and demand lands in North Africa... Even though they can't send any troops there cause they'd get murdered.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jolan posted:

Annexation costs have gone up way more than they should've, though. I finally got the hang of forts and they're awesome, but really, fix expansion/development costs.

I'm kind of a new player but I feel the same. It's supposed to stop minmaxers from blobbing super hard, but in doing so it really hurts more casual players. I just want to play the game and dream of maybe pulling a WC someday :arghfist::saddowns:

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 10, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

This sounds really on the money. It sounds like everybody is trying to conquer tons of stuff and improve development levels all the time, which was not the intention I gathered from the Dev diaries.

I haven't improved a single province since I haven't played western yet, but I'd prefer my expansion to be limited by AE, stronger AIs, my vassals' liberty desire or my own fuckups. Monarch points just aren't very fun cause they're one resource you can't really control, as opposed to a bunch of different factors you have to juggle around.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just ran into a weird bug:

My annexation isn't making any progress cause my dip points are negative, but my points just won't go up. Every month I get 1 diplo for an instant, then it drops back to -5.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

Is the percent complete going up?

I was absolutely sure that it didn't but I checked again and it does :psyduck: Guess it's just a display bug.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Rincewind posted:

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.

Austria is the Emperor in my Ottoman game and they've passed five reforms by the 1540s (!). I'm starting to worry they'll just unify the empire at this rate, I might have to pull the trigger on them earlier than I thought.

At least Poland is my ally, so if they ever stop being defensive towards me it shouldn't be hard.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How do you get army tradition now? I'm playing Ottomans, it's 1590 and I'm about to westernize after conquering Vienna, yet I still haven't unlocked the Janissaries event cause I can't reach 50 AT despite going Defensive as my second idea. AT from sieges is so much lower than it used to be.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

To be fair, the AI suffers from it too so it's not a huge deal. It's good that AT is starting to be a stat you need to keep up by succeeding militarily, similar to power projection, instead of just something that's always maxed and gives you an advantage over the AI.

That 100 AT/NT achievement is going to be hell, though :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm at full manpower and can't declare proper wars cause I can't make any diplo points for peace deals cause my king is a 0 diplo and I'm losing 5 diplo points every month annexing my vassal :thumbsup:

I'll just get my king killed to get around this, but c'mon now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

reL posted:

I got cocky en route to the "core all of India" achievement and forgot to pay attention to what my OE was at... those revolts have all happened in <6 months. There goes all those hours

Just accept demands or return cores to get rid of the highest OE provinces you have, till you get below 100%. It shouldn't be a run ender.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

shallowj posted:

anyone else have a bug where they can't left-click to select provinces? tried to play a game even though the hotkeys don't work; found this bug too. did make me find out you can right-click provinces to go directly to the diplomacy window, though.

I get it occasionally and I just fix it by alt+tabbing to desktop and back into the game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

All of the content DLCs are good-to-great. (El Dorado is a bit niche-er than most, but still worth getting.)

I'd say Conquest of Paradise is the worst one, you only want it if you're playing North Americans. El Dorado at least adds some useful stuff with automated exploration, gold fleets and the Treaty of Tordesillas, so it's good for both South Americans and colonizers.

All the other main DLCs are great.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Note that Genoa is likely to leave the Empire after 1500, so you might want to wait for that before attacking them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So, how do you tell your colony to attack another colony? It should be an option now but I can't find it anywhere.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Westminster System posted:

Actually, you can use subject interaction to make them utilize the colonial war casus belli on a neighbouring (colonial) nation, providing they have said casus belli, at least according to the patch notes.

Oh yeah, it's right there. It just wasn't highlighted cause they don't have a CB (even though I do). Oops.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just finished my Granada run:

I tried it in the past but never got far, I think it got a lot easier now that Castile doesn't have cores on you. I did need a lot of restarts with the usual opening of vassalizing/annexing Tlemcen, backstabbing Morocco, etc till it worked out. But this time Castile was busy fighting other wars so I was able to conquer enough stuff to ally the Ottomans early, which made me look big enough to not be worth the effort. I doubt that would have happened if they still had cores there.

Also got super lucky since Aragon lost their PU over Naples, and then Castile lost their Iberian Wedding PU soon after getting it.

I still lost my Spanish provinces around 1620 when Castile attacked me while westernizing (I felt safe cause they had no claims but I embargoed and they started a trade war, whoops!), but I went exploration/expansive so I was already taking over central Africa and Brazil. I struggled with manpower for a very long time with all that worthless desert and no Quantity till my 3rd idea.

Eventually Britain liked me enough to ally me, I caught up in tech and France got super outraged at all my AE :spain:

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I wouldn't recommend Castile or Portugal for a new player. Colonizing is boring if it's all you're doing and expanding in Iberia is going to be hard if you're new (as Castile you'll have to beat Aragon+Portugal, as Portugal you might have to deal with a large PU). There's also France I guess since they're weaker this patch, but it seems like a lot more things can go wrong there.

Ottomans, England or Muscovy sound about right. You get a clear set of objectives, plenty of ways to expand and a bunch of weak neighbors to pick on and get larger before you tackle bigger threats.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Donald Duck posted:

Is there something wrong with army tradition since common sense? I have 7 after 160 years.I can barely ever recall having below 20 or 30 in the worst cases when I played before.

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get AT. I guess it's intended as a buff to Defensive, Quality and Aristocratic? If you go for the usual Quantity and Offensive combo your AT is going to be terrible for centuries.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 17, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

gfanikf posted:

So is it better to say you points for tech advances as the main priority is it okay to blow them on stability increases, harsh treatment, inflation reduction, and now even more so development?

My problem is I always love playing a short game (family commitments and available time), so it kind of informs my play style as being super short term (and often super stupid). It's kind of hard to get myself out of that mentality. Also the fact that I don't think I'll ever figure out trade helps. Lol

I'm sure someone better than me can go into this but here's my take:

- Stability: you probably want to keep it at 0 or higher, but otherwise try to avoid spending points if possible. There's a bunch of event that can raise it anyway.

- Harsh treatment: it can be useful but it's almost always a waste. There's plenty of ways to handle unrest without using it (let the rebels pop and then murder them, raise autonomy, hire an unrest advisor, raise your stability if you have to).

- Inflation reduction: if this is a problem you're probably swimming in gold so maybe just take economic ideas and get the -inflation reduction advisor if you can. Same as stability, it's ok to buy it but you should try to avoid it.

-War exhaustion: it's cheap enough and diplo points aren't as important, go for it if it's a serious problem and you can't just end the war. Mercenaries help you prevent it, though.

- Development: no clue :v: I usually only bother with it if I'm western and I'm already ahead of time on a tech and I have no ideas to spend those points on.

So in short, they all have their uses but it's better to avoid spending those points if you can.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

GSD posted:

Can you Westernize off of Trade Company provinces now? I've had a bunch of Indian states (and, amazingly, Ming) westernize this game, despite that, as far as I can tell, the other western provinces they border are my Company provinces.

I don't know if there's been a change but it was already possible to westernize by conquering a western province, even if it's a trade company.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Good way to get that dynasty cheev too

Hold on, do they get your dynasty when you release them?

I just realized I've never really used Client States.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could it be that since they can walk over into mantua (who is also in the war) they can walk to all the provinces bordering it?

It's probably something like this. I've definitely noticed the AI skipping forts before, and I'm told forts in small Marches don't seem to block properly either.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

It's not that hard, just new
Get Three mountains, Rajput reigh and Albania or Iberia and then brag

Is Albania still that hard? Seems like it'd be possible to luck into a game where the Ottomans don't attack you until you either escape somewhere safe or have an Alliance with Poland/Austria. I haven't tried it though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Previous patches it used to start already at war with Ottomans and hostile army in the next province, haven't looked at it in 1.12.

Yeah you're not at war anymore. I tried it and I was able to annex Ragusa and some of Bosnia, but Ottomans warned me and Austria became domineering so I couldn't do much more. Still, it seems easier.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman posted:

Yeah you're not at war anymore. I tried it and I was able to annex Ragusa and some of Bosnia, but Ottomans warned me and Austria became domineering so I couldn't do much more. Still, it seems easier.

Yeah I kept at it and it's a lot easier. If you can dodge Venice and Ottomans early it's not much harder than any other OPM.

I don't know what the hell is going on in that game though:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Rakthar posted:

It's not gamey, it's modeling the difference between sitting in a palace and being out in a military camp where supplies are limited and disease is more prevalent. What you're describing is the exact tradeoff you're supposed to be weighing. A king is a 'free' general. In the case of a crappy king you want to get rid of, the choice is easy. Do it. In the case of a good king you want to keep, also relatively easy. Don't do it. And anywhere inbetween (like I can only afford 1 general but my king is decent so I do risk him dying hmmm let me check the heir) is the decision making that's supposed to come into play.

He's saying just by clicking the button to make your king a general he gets an increased chance to die, even if you never assign him to a unit or send him to battle.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, just subsidize them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I use Transparent Political Map, which also gives you transparent wastelands:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mygna posted:

Speaking of ugly borders, try to find all the screaming faces in this clusterfuck:

About that...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

They need to rework army limits if they're dropping manpower pools so much, I have the biggest army in the world but I keep getting the mission "Create an army for our country". It's like I'm the USA.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Is this from an Albania or Iberia run? I've been trying it but I just can't break the Ottomans, even with Austria/Poland/Lithuania (they refuse to work together so get slaughtered piecemeal). I was thinking it might be better to head west first via Italy?

Yep!

I haven't tried escaping to Italy, that sounds like a good way to get past the Ottomans' warnings. Or maybe try taking Hungary if there's a chance? Or ally Aragon/Genoa for some extra help?

You'll definitely need to defeat the Ottomans if you want to take the balkans, they'll never stop warning you. I started by taking Ragusa, Bosnia and most of Serbia, then spent like 60 years just fighting and recovering from 3 wars against the Ottomans (lost 1). But eventually they fell behind and we kicked them out of Greece. Then France took Chios from Genoa and decided to join the fun, so I allied them and it was a smooth ride after that.

France was ridiculous strong that game actually, they never got their English cores back but they conquered Savoy and had a bigger army than Ming in the 1600s. They helped me a lot against Austria but ended up allying both Portugal and Aragon, which was a pain (though it might have been easier if I'd realized I had the same dynasty as both of those countries :downs: I need to learn to play the PU game).

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 21, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Units don't fall behind between tech groups and haven't for a long time. (Except for the horde who don't get any new units at all)

The Ottomans lose their lucky nation status and the Janissaries in the 1700s, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Looking for a quick answer before the Steam sale expires. I currently have Art of War and Wealth of Nations. I have just enough money left in my steam wallet to pick up Common Sense or a couple of the older DLC. Any thoughts on what would be a better choice?

Get Res Publica (it's super cheap) and Common Sense. Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado aren't terrible but you're not missing much and American nations got screwed in this patch anyway.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Zurai posted:

It was silly that as time goes on and extensive lines of communication and formal war schools sprang up literally everywhere in the world, everyone could spend a lot of money to get +1 diplomat and +2 leaders? Sounds logical to me, not silly.

And honestly having 2 diplomats is kinda of tedious. Specially if you're annexing vassals since that means 10-20 years of having 1 diplomat and almost no diplo income. I'm okay with losing the Army Tradition and extra leader building because those mechanics are more interesting now (you have do some work to get high AT and gain Power Projection to get a 2nd leader), but having 1 diplomat isn't fun.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shayu posted:

50% administrative efficiency plus the 25% reduction in coring from administrative ideas is so good.

Efficiency comes so late though, which makes Administrative ideas feel mandatory.

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 23, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ukle posted:

Historically wasn't Riga pretty big, it just lost its Territory over centuries to Novgorod and others. Would guess that is the reason.

More importantly, why isn't Semien independent? :colbert:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

aeglus posted:

Anyone manage to do a successful run as The Knights yet?

I tried it a little, it's easy enough to conquer Achaea + Athens with Venice's help but after that you're kinda stuck (and rebels are a problem). I guess you probably want to no CB Ragusa or some Italian OPM? Maybe ally Bosnia and steal some of Serbia's stuff?

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman posted:

I tried it a little, it's easy enough to conquer Achaea + Athens with Venice's help but after that you're kinda stuck (and rebels are a problem). I guess you probably want to no CB Ragusa or some Italian OPM? Maybe ally Bosnia and steal some of Serbia's stuff?

Well, what do you know (Byzantium is my vassal):

I got lucky and allied Poland when their army was small after losing a war.

• Locked thread