Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So the first big dumb exploit with CS has been found.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-not-get-eaten-by-austria-as-ravensburg-wad.860854/

i love it

e; for anyone who can't tell what happened, the player as an OPM joined a coalition against Burgundy and declared the war, let themselves get sieged, and then in the peace deal gave ALL of Austria's land away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

axeil posted:

So count me amongst those who are getting really bad slowdown with the new patch :smith: Speeds 3, 4 and 5 are all pretty much the same at this point. Before things worked absolutely fine. Someone on the forums was saying apparently some nations are constantly switching fort maintenance on and off and that might be doing it.

Hm. I am going to guess fort maintenance is something that is decided in a manner similar to whether a nation can colonise or not, where they need a certain monthly income to do it. I can see smaller nations on the borderline flicking it on and off with every few events they get which might change their income.

e; I'd just play it. So far nothing gamebreaking has been exposed except some slowdown in a few cases. The only big exploit is one that is player controlled, and not one which can directly benefit you.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm considering playing a One or Two province minor, but anytime i've played one in Europe (mainly HRE, in Germany) i've been stomped and my armies rapidly defeated, Any general advice/tips? Also how are you supposed to declare war in the HRE without dragging the emperor into it?

I don't tend to like playing in north Germany, so my advice is gonna be more southern Germany and Central Europe. If you are choosing to be more northern, then substitute this advice for "Ally Brandenburg, wait for them to war with a neighbour on the enemy side and then separate peace who they piss on and take a province." It happens every time in my experience. Repair those relations though, Brandenburg is a good ally if you can keep them in check (which is easy to do).

Wait for Austria, who will probably be the emperor at the time, to get into a slapfight with Burgundy (and probably Aragon), or France. They will quickly run out of enthusiasm for war and then strike. People always suggest allying the emperor, I think this is eh advice honestly. Unless you savescum to get a diprep advisor from the start which you can afford, Austria will probably not be interested in your one province rear end as an ally (yet). The army strength modifier will be pretty big against you, and you are unlikely to be able to have common rivals. Instead, consider allying other powers that are local. The Palatinate is a good one, as is Cologne, Switzerland, or if you can swing it, Bohemia. I prefer to call them Brohemia, they are a drat good ally if you can get them and worth trying for as soon as you can. They don't call you into defensive wars often because the AI avoids them like the plague due to their increased coring cost. They are only a mid level power too, so they won't be dragging you onto death marches into France or against the Ottoman like Austria would, and until the Commonwealth forms they will do a pretty solid job of beating back Poland on their own too. However, if they manage to become emperor, drop them like a sack of bricks.

Target another small neighbouring nation. For example, Ulm and Frankfurt in particular are located in very balkanised lands, where there are a lot of minor powers. If you choose one of those (and why wouldn't you, since you will spend about 10-15 years at least as an OPM, may as well reap that development discount) you will be in a good position to annex a neighbour and should be able to swing enough of a coalition of local allies. Make sure you have your claims ready well in advance too, because you might get called into an allies war which gives you a chance to strike. If possible, make it so that your war involves two nations that border one another, preferably ones which you can fabricate on to reduce AE. Annex them both over the war, and then release one of them as a vassal. Perhaps do that in a direction you do not intend to expand into for a long time, so you can consider making them a march. When looking for smaller powers to ally or to take as that vassal, look for theocracies, because Divine Ideas give +15% manpower recovery speed as a tradition, and +5% discipline as the first idea. A good thing for an ally or vassal to have so early in the game.

You really should start as a free city now for an OPM start in the HRE, or if you are not one and get given the offer, should take it. The development discount is really nice, because it stacks with the capital holding discount. You won't be doing a lot of coring and since ideas got moved back one level, you will have a lot of admin lying around as an OPM. You should invest a lot of your early admin into basetax while you get a discount, and then take advantage of the behind time tech discount and get Admin Tech 5 discount. Wait on investing manpower until after tech 4 though, because that morale is big early game, then sink it all in while you are still getting that development discount. If you get called into war early, you want to have that just to get an edge. As an OPM though you really have a good 10-15 years where you can really grow tall quickly and get yourself into a very good position from the start.

By the way, I really recommend to anyone to give free cities a good shot. I actually had a really good run two days ago where I stayed as an OPM Frankfurt until the mid 1600s before I got called into three wars at once because Brandenburg managed to look weak and got declared on by three minor powers, who all had huge alliances. It was going well, but I forgot to transfer a siege over and Brandenburg decided to say "Thanks buddy!" to me and gave me land I didn't want. Even as an OPM, I had a hell of a lot of power. I had a forcelimit of 22 (I took quant, which might explain some of that), three level 1 advisers, was permanently ahead on tech, a march in Mainz who I had give all of the provinces surrounding me to, fortified on my dime. I was always making a few ducats as well. I think I probably had the most developed province in the game by 1500, as upgrades were starting to cost around 180 monarch points after all of my discounts. After the first 20 years where I was getting ready, I spent the whole time above 60 power projection. It was a really good chill game.

Development is probably the best thing that was ever done to EUIV in my opinion. It adds a lot more depth in my eyes. If there is only one thing I might request from Paradox to improve it, it would be the option to also be able to develop provinces in vassal holdings. I was having a hell of a time waiting for Mainz to upgrade a province to 20 levels so I could build them a fort there, and to also bump their forcelimit and income up a bit. If forts work like I think they do, a nation needs a certain income to have them activated, and my idea of "donut hole yourself in a march" doesn't work too well when your vassal turns off one fort because they are being cheap. Being able to give them some more basetax or manpower as their overlord, kindly suggesting how they should improve their holdings, would be great, especially with marches in strategic areas. If you could do that as an overlord, it would be great. It would need to come with a little cost though, naturally. For example, a +5% monarch point increase as it is not your land, and some gold to grease the wheels of uppity local nobles who might not like you dictating how they use their land.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 13, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Tales from Frankfurt, an ironman Free City striving to remain both free and a single city from 1444 till 1821.

The holiest, freest nation of one city.

Also the tiniest and most power projecting city in the world (on 1552)

And now protestantism has hit the city and I'm at a lost on what to do. Religious turmoil will be annoying as hell and my income will take a -0.33% hit if I choose to remain Catholic but I don't think I can even reconvert the province back even after religious zeal wears off. I could just jump to protestant but my worries are that it will get converted to reformed and that protestantism is really weak in this world because all 3 religious centers spawned in the lowlands so both england and the denmark alliance remained catholic.

Only one free city to look after and I'm struck by indecision.

Flip to protestant. Just go for it. The Church Power development discount will aid your free city a lot, and most of the minor powers around the area will also flip your way, so the emperor won't be able to do much about it. The centres of reformation will also spread out past the lowlands before long. Spend your papalbux though before you do it.

Also, you can take vassals. Beat on the Palatinate to punch out Mainz, then vassalize them and make Mainz into a march then feed them all of the land surrounding you.

e; guessing hesse might be a vassal actually, looking twice. They are not as good a vassal as Mainz would be, but they'll do alright.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Hesse and Cologne are my marches. Mainz already got ate up by Trier at this point. But it's not like I had the freedom to pick who to be my vassals or who to even go to war against since it all depended on the web of alliances. Hesse is kinda crappy though since they're a theocracy who went Defensive and Religious as their first two ideas but oh well.

drat Austia unfreed citied you when you converted to Protestant? Was that the sole trigger or was it because your relations with austia wasn't that hot to begin with? I don't think there's a cheevo to track if you stayed as a free city through the whole timeline but I feel like I would have personally lost if I lost the free city status at any point.

Defensive ideas on a vassal would be pretty good if you can surround yourself with Hesse like a donut hole, then build them some forts on all sides. It would be a lot harder for the AI to get to you. Religious is... eh, for a vassal in this playstyle. Also, when I turned protestant I kept my free city status. Is that something you can actually revoke as emperor?

e; I want to do a free city Tuscany or Milan run now. Gonna do that right now. Their NIs give them a huge discount on development.

e2; wow, the duke of burgundy just died in the third month of the game

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 14, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Something is all sorts of wrong with my EU install. But oddly enough the checksum still passes. :v:

I was wondering what was off until I saw the recommended starts. I think that is Leinster, then Ferrara, Milan, Provence?, old Sweden flag I think (too many drat blue flags), Cologne, Munster, Perm, Armenia and the Commonwealth. Considering two of those do not exist in 1444, and one of those is no longer a flag in the game, yeah, something is messed up. And since two of them are OPMs and one is a weak vassal (Perm), recommendation is not really a word I would use with them.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 14, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I totally forgot there was a new expansion out. What are the most fun German minors for this patch?

Frankfurt.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Even stuff they have uncored? Like can I feed them over 100% OE and then instantly hit the button and get free cores?

nope, gotta wait for their cores, also never give a vassal or PU partner over 100% overextension, especially not one as bad with rebs as Lithuania, they will explode

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
All of the centres in one place actually sounds like it would do a hell of a job converting Europe. It wouldn't spread too fast, but it would be nigh on impossible to curb.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

nessin posted:

So I'm playing my first game after about two years dry of EU4, and there are a couple things new that I'm struggling with. Fortunately none of it new to Common Sense:

1) Just what are Trade Companies? Are they simply a province modifier or something else? I keep seeing references as to how a Trade Company might be a separate entity almost like a colonial nation, but all I see is the button to add a provice to the trade company which puts a couple positives and negatives on the province.

2) This might actually be partly new to common sense, but has forced vassalization always been so expensive (diplo point wise)? Is there some form of casus belli that can reduce the cost, or is that a mission specific thing?

A trade company is basically land that you own, but by adding it to a trade company (which can only be done in certain regions) you start a 'vassal' in that trade region. It gives you a trade bonus, and you should target trade value provinces like important centres. On standard provinces it doesn't do much for you, but on trade ones it massively boosts your power. If you are trading in a region which allows your nation to do that, like the Zanzibar node, for example, then you absolutely should. If you can get enough trade power to hold over 50% then you get a free merchant for as long as you can sustain that trade power, which pretty great. The trade off is that you get no manpower for the province any more, won't be converting religiously or culturally it very quickly and I don't think you get the tax either. You get a pretty drat good tolerance and revolt risk modifier though, so as long as you park some troops on it until nationalism dies down. After that you should be good. Oh yeah, you can add conquered provinces to a trade company, the game doesn't tell you that very well. It doesn't operate like a real vassal, it fields no troops and has no government, so I don't know why it is on the subject screen.

Trade companies can make you extremely rich and powerful, especially if you are a merchant republic allowing you to build both trade posts and trade companies in certain regions. If you place both of them on a centre then you get maaaaaassive trade power in that note.

Also, like someone mentioned earlier, vassalisation got a bit more expensive with development. It is still worth doing though, because admin tech is always superior to dip tech. I don't really remember how to get a Subjugate CB, which gives you a 50% warscore cost modifier, but I think it is mission only.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Just finished integrating France after the HYW. Oh man that felt good to do. Oddly enough, it was super easy to keep them in check and below 50% liberty desire after the first 10 years (first thing I did was enforce my culture on them, Paris has to be English). The only time after then that they jumped any higher than 30% (typically about 8% though, it only went to 30 when I was losing a war badly and my stacks needed to replenish) after that first 10 years was when I decided to force them into Protestantism.

It was actually oddly difficult for the first 50 years, even as England with a French bulldog in my corner, and Austria and Castille, both of whom were oddly happy with being my vassal. Immediately after enforcing the union pretty much half of Europe decided to coalition me, and I knew I wouldn't win so I sent 4 regiments into a Burgundian deathstack and then made peace, releasing Normandy and Wales.

Even now it actually still has some challenge in it, because I am maaassively behind on tech. I swear the game knows when you are on a roll, and kills your 5/4/6 heir, then your backup 3/5/6 heir, then your backup to the backup 4/4/5 heir and then your 3/3/4 monarch all in 20 years, and replaces it with a 1/2/0 regency council. And then you get a ruler with a staggering 1/1/3. As a Western tech nation I have never spent so long behind on tech, the only one I have even remotely kept up on is Dip, and just barely with that. I have 3 idea groups, but I have been so strapped for points that I only have the first, quantity, actually complete, with 3 of economic and 3 of religious each completed. Meanwhile, Brandenburg has 18 completed ideas and is ahead of me in all but dip. Alongside that, I have been really strapped for cash, even though I own every important centre of trade in the Channel. I really haven't been making any more before integrating France to afford anything more than 2 level one advisers and a single level 2 and still break even.

Oddly enough, no Burgundian inheritance in this run. This might be the first time it hasn't happened for me, and a nice change from my last run where it fired in the third month.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
ugly borders rule, last night I was playing a game as mainz where I just make my nation a straight line that cuts across Europe, so I can deny guys military access, from one sea to another

I really want to try that strat out in MP, and charge players a toll for crossing my land

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Enigma89 posted:

Has anyone ever played a non-European country and actually out-teched the major European powers without westernization? I am playing a game as Ming with a friend (we are both playing Ming) and we are a full military tech ahead of France and 2 ahead of the Ottomans. :stare: Is this bad? We wanted to westernize but now I am worried that we are going to suffer non-westernized penalties all game now because we will be to far behind to actually westernize?

I have seen the Mamluks leading in Admin and Mil tech before, if you don't count those as a major European power since they have so much involvement there. Since Common Sense I frequently see the Ottoman as being the 1st place in miltech by 2 levels, somehow. Considering they have a lightly increased tech cost, I wouldn't really expect them to somehow manage to be so far ahead. Before then, my tech would be the measuring pole of mil if I was playing in Europe. Now it isn't. I am actually finding myself getting the neighbour bonus pretty often now, much more often than in the past.

Also, unless you are a Ming who is rapidly expanding West, there is literally no purpose to being so technologically ahead, and I am not sure with new coring costs it would even be possible to do that without colonising. You would crush the other Asians with just 2 levels over them in miltech, nevermind what sounds like the 4 or you might have. Do you have any mil ideas? It might be worth taking one, to make greater use of all those milpoints you are kind of throwing away at penalties.

Also, I am playing a Jaunpur and wow is that a fun nation to play. I usually die immediately in India (possibly the hardest place to start outside of the Balkans imo, it is a real war hotspot and my alliances always peter out), but I managed to get this off the ground. I converted over to Hindu in the first year, and since then I have gotten 2 rulers now who come over with like 6/4/4 or something like that which convert my nation to Muslim, replacing my crappier monarchs. I then immediately convert back because why would I not want those sweet Hindu deity choices?

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 21, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Do you still get random events that give you core on enemy provinces?

Cause this 200 admin off the loving bat is crazy. I even gotta core Granada as Castille.

Yes, I got it as Jaunpur yesterday. It is super rare though.

Common Sense really raises the value of Administrative ideas early game to get that 25% coring cost reduction. Economic for the development reduction can wait until at least your third, maybe fourth idea, since doing any development at all before universities is wasted monarch points unless you are an OPM. Growing outwards is more important for most games, so those admin points you save in the long run are totally worth it.

Also, forming Bharat as the Hindustani culture group is just cruel, it asks you to reach faaar further out than any other culture group in India. As far West as Roh, as far south as some province in Gujarat. Whereas for Dravidian you just need to beat up your equal footing neighbour and some OPMs, West Aryan asks you to grow outwards a bit, and East Aryan barely asks you to grow at all, Hindustani kinda asks a hell of a lot more of you. You will need to fight Delhi, who starts off equal, and after 2 months of ingame time, stronger, Malwa with their god leader (5/6/6 or something like that) and 2 vassals, Orissa for their vassals land, and you will almost definitely come to blows with Bahmanis because they will ally all of the Muslims you need to fight. Bengal will guaranteed rival you, so expect them to come knocking too. Oh, and by the time you get to reaching Roh the Timurids will probably have it, and be at their strongest.

I got it by 1560, but wow was it one hell of a fight upwards to get there. I faced a Peasants War because I spent so long with no manpower and also fought a hell coalition of everyone in India who was not my vassal or a severely weakened Vijaynagar (which I won, barely). I think I might have a fort in every other province, just because Bahmanis was so strong for such a long time.

Also, I thought Bharat would have given me a cultural union and made Indian all accepted. It did not. Does Hindustan do that? If so, I hosed up by being Hindu.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

I believe you can actually keep vassals out of war now through the subject menu

Yup. It is the option called "Enable Scrutage."

You get 50% more income from them, and they won't send their idiots in to occupy land you want. Downside is that disabling it gives a short term boost to their liberty desire.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Think I just found a bug.

Building something on a province looks like it costs more on the province building page compared to the building window. A textile manufactory costs me 412 through the building window, but going through the province to build costs me about 490.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Can you ally France or Hungary? If so, do that, get them into a war on your side, then declare on the other while they are helping you out. Take what you want, and leave enough space in your warscore to get rid of the alliance. Make sure to wrap up the alliance breaking war before the other, or the one you allied will jump in against you once the war ends. You might have to eat a few months of call for peace if you accidentally clear up the first war too quickly.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VDay posted:

Anyone gotten the African Power achievement?

The Kongo is, in my experience, the toughest game of EUIV you will have. Certainly a 'unique' challenge. You will absolutely need exploration, as you said, but don't expect to be making money or even breaking even while colonising, because you won't. Also each colony will take an eternity until you get that idea fleshed out a bit, after which it will only take half an eternity instead. Colonise EVERYTHING you can that is coastal in Africa. Portugal, France or Britain will turn up and they will beat the everloving poo poo out of you if you don't. You might be able to westernise off of them, but if they turn up and DoW you, then your plans will be delayed by a looooong time. Also, they will steal your trade money. Prioritise the Gold Coast as an early colony. If the Western tech nations get to Africa early, you at least want that province for yourself. Their colonial range will almost certainly see them taking some land down there. You probably won't be taking that back for a loooooong time, however.

Your second idea should be Admin, because you will need to reform the government, and you won't be developing anything in Africa so Economic ain't too great for you. You will get more out of Admin than you will Economic. The reduced coring cost from Admin will be extremely helpful and save you a boatload of admin, and the merc maintenance is essential since Africa is just attrition hell.

Trade won't be too helpful at the start for you unless you go and colonise Asia to take trade from there, which since you are taking all of Africa, you will. Maybe your fourth or fifth idea. You will only have two nodes worth trading in, the Ivory Coast and the Cape, and the Cape doesn't feed into anywhere but Ivory. The only other important node for you won't be until later on, when you can take the Gulf of Aden to direct all the trade South to you. If you do decide to go and colonise Asia, colonise ALL of the Cape, and then around 1600 you should forsake the Ivory Coast and make the Cape your capital trade node. It is much harder for the Western tech nations to steal your trade from there if they manage to get some provinces in Africa, which you won't be able to take back for a while.

Your third idea should be quantity. No question about it. You will not be beating the Westerners off of troop quality, morale or discipline, just sheer numbers, reinforcing your army while your men die repeatedly. Also, attrition will do hell on all of your troops no matter who you fight. You will want to form most of you main fighting stacks out of the best mercs of the time, yes, but you will still need actual manpower in battle too, either cav or artillery, and you can only afford so many mercs before you need regular troops on the front lines too.

Religious ideas will also be extremely important to you. As the Kongo, you can go in two directions. You start as Shamanist. You do not want to stay that way though. You can either go Sunni, and get a great low piety tech discount (which stacks with your Admin idea discount, and your miltech NI discount), or you can go Catholic through an event you should get from Portugal and get the holy war CB on all of the Sunni states. If you go Sunni, you will have to convert loads of crappy Animist lands, and the Catholic land of Portugal who will almost certainly take land on the West and the North. There are also a load of Shia province on the North, which you will probably have to convert too, which would take forever without Religious ideas. If you go Catholic for the CB, then you will need to convert everything or you will have rebellions all day long, and Sunni land is hard to convert.

That is just ideas though, there is more. A few things you should expect to happen:
Peasants war. This will almost undoubtedly happen because one war can drain all of your manpower quickly.

Pretenders. Lots of them. Before you reform the government, you will be seeing pretender rebels out the rear end. They will also not help on the manpower front. If a war goes badly, then you might get into an economic situation which won't recover for a loooong time, so you will have very low legitimacy, especially since you need to colonise.

The Ottoman. They will probably hold a lot of Egypt. Good luck with that one.

Alliance woes. Nobody will ally you at the start of the game. At all. You will be too far, and too shamanist for them to want to be your friend.

No CB war. You will probably have to declare one if you want to grow fast, probably on Benin or one of their neighbours. You neighbour nobody but vassals at the start, so growth is impossible outside of a no CB declaration. Save up some Admin, because it will be rough getting out of the stability hole. Also, build cogs. You do not want to march through the crap land to your North, which will attack you on almost level tech. Wait for someone near Benin to get into a war, wait a while for their allies to get tired, and then declare. In the peacedeal, take an inland province which borders someone from them, and vassalise them too. You want that province to declare other wars.

Look out for nations who started big, but got cut down into tiny nations. Declare on them, vassalise them, and then reclaim all of their cores before integrating. Admin is usually precious, and it has never been more precious than it is as the Kongo, between reforming, stabhits and your crap tech group. You will have to core some land, but try and reduce it by having your dip points shoulder some of the burden.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 24, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VDay posted:

So the good news is that it's 1454 and I've somehow managed to pull this out of my rear end thanks to a couple of really lucky alliance breaks during a series of like 3 massive wars that involved a dozen nations:

That's a vassalized Oyo, a vassalized Benin, and my string of territories above them giving me access to claims on everyone around me.

The bad news is that all of those vassals hate me because I switched to Catholicism mid-war, I'm pretty much broke, there's already a small coalition forming against me thanks to my opportunistic land grabs, and my country is completely on fire. Should be fun :smithicide:

Nice work. You are certainly moving faster than my Loango run, but that has it's own aspects which are guaranteed to slow you down. What is the chief contributing factor to your vassals liberty desire? I am going to guess it is combined military strength. You ain't too big, and their combined strength is probably equal or greater than yours if they were to be independent. If so, cancel one of your vassals, either Loango or Ndongo. They won't get allies any time, due to their distance and Shamanism, and those vassals are not too useful in war anyway because they will just repeatedly walk into natives and get repelled. You can beat them up and conquer them easy at a later date. They live on scrub lands, so it will be cheap to core. For now focus on the Northward expanding. Anything that staves off an independence war is worth it, since you start out pretty weak and need to rely on vassals instead of good allies. Who knows, when independent one of them might get an event to fire which gives them a colony and cuts a tiny bit of work out for you as they make a colony. That happens for them, by the way, and might do for you, so be prepared for the cost that might come with it. It happens with or without exploration.

Also, vassals worth taking in the future for keeping around as attack dogs -
Songhai. Good NIs, which include a tech cost reduction which will keep them up with you, fort defense, infantry combat ability, morale, and finally discipline. If they get stomped somehow and end up weak, then even better because they have a hell of a lot of cores that you can reconquer. A great war vassal.

Air. Decent NIs, which give morale (more than Songhai), and quite a bit later they get two general stat boosting ideas (shock and manoeuvre). They don't tend to grow much because early game Songhai's NIs are better, and Yao tends to get big enough easily to box them in. A good vassal to keep around later game just for more good generals in battle. Kanem Bornu also gets a free land leader as a tradition, but the rest of their ideas are far worse, and their leaders will be weaker.

Give Benin a bit of land when you can, then annex them. That important centre of trade will be very useful this early on for the trade income. Dahomey looks nice this time of year, after all.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 24, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Does this apply to heirs as well? I was under the impression that neither of these gave stab hits so I've been feeding all my rulers and heirs less than 4/4/4 or so into the blender and haven't got a stab hit yet, guess I've been lucky!

Heirs do not stabhit, just rulers I believe. Send the young upstart out to the front lines, if he dies you always get an immediate replacement.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Wiz, now that Luxembourg has good NIs please add an achievement for them when having France, Brandenburg, Burgundy, the Papal State and the Netherlands as vassals and make it a cool pun about the EU, and then add a second one to have the same vassals, but between you and them cover all of the modern day EU borders and call that "Ever Closer Union" (reference to Desmond Dinan, noted academic on the EU). We need more very hard achievements.

e; for berber, lower the core creation because that poo poo just isn't fun, change the ship costs to something more useful like land forcelimits to stop them being rolled over by Portugal (plus who cares about ship costs), give them some missionary strength to incentivise going into Iberia, and replace cavalry combat ability with reduced land maintenance (men who are looting will be happily paid less for a cut of the loot)

makes them less rubbish, but nothing too OP

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 25, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VDay posted:

If it' referring to what I think it's referring to, armies take a small amount of attrition just upon arriving to an enemy province. There used to be a way around it by telling armies to go past the province and then cancelling the last move order once the armies is in the province, but I think that got fixed in CS. So it seems like this has just been taken out (for armies at least), probably as a slight buff to manpower since it's easier to lose it all now.

It isn't really because manpower is easier to lose, it is more that they got rid of the old exploit, which was probably difficult to do, and people immediately found another (moving travelling troops out of one unit into another unit on the province you want to siege using the organise units option), which would probably be difficult to also remove. Plus, with new siege mechanics it is more of just a bother anyway, because if you send over a perfectly sized stack over you would have to wait one, maybe two months before they could even start sieging, which is just silly. When guys arrived outside of a fort and stood there historically, they were sieging, not standing 10ft back and waiting for the 50 men who mysteriously died when settling into a siege before the siege really even began. Arrival attrition was dumb anyway, if you really want to give armies more attrition, then why not just crank normal attrition up .2% or something small but still noticeable? It is harder to find exploits around that, and it actually allows an idea group to reduce impact of arriving instead of the dumb mandatory attrition you suffered, giving a better reason to take defensive or quantity.

It didn't make much sense that arriving at a place would cause more attrition anyway, arriving and resting for a few days in an unoccupied province is less exhausting than constant marching. The first thing you would do on arriving is scavenge food and find places to rest, which is something you don't have time for while on the march, so really the opposite would be true.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 26, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
forget your france, where is it your bohemia is snaking away to?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

" - Fixed manpower being gained inversely on stackwipe (i.e. a regiment with 0 men would give the most MP back to country)."

What?

What.

Do surrendering regiments return manpower...?

Yuuuuup. When I said it in here like two or three months ago nobody believed me until I posted some video evidence. The game does not tell you this anywhere unless you look at your manpower as you got wiped. And usually you are not doing that. I've actually used it tactically a couple times since then, sending a few dudes on colonial suicide missions, knowing that I would only lose half of those men.

I'm not sure why that manpower is returned, I assume it means that the enemy took them hostage and did not hold onto them. Hostages were known to be taken in that time, sometimes entire armies, but they would not be released back to their home nation freely, and definitely not when war was still ongoing so they may continue to fight against their captors again. After war they might have been freely released, after they lost their value and served as a net loss to continue to hold, but definitely not during.

When a unit shattered in reality, the idea was that they ran so that they may fight another day, and hostages cropped up as a result of that. Every man returned was the odds evened back in the favour of your enemy. The game already simulates shattering and running successfully with retreats however. I'm not sure why they allow manpower to be returned on a wipe though.

I guess it might be for balance reasons?

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 28, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I actually consider Pluto to be a veeeery valuable idea group if it is available. I know it isn't militaristic, but caravan power is hard to get, merchants are great and -5% on all tech is amazing. The 10% morale and manpower recovery speed is just icing on the cake.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Who said plutocratic isn't good?

VDay said Pluto was the odd one out, that was my way of saying I don't mind it being an odd one out. Nobody said it was not good, I was just getting across it is excellent anyway.

Jabarto posted:

10% morale is excellent, not icing. Goons overrate discipline and wildly underrate morale. It doesn't matter how many casualties your troops can inflict if they all break on the first day.

Oh yeah, I know. I have pretty much always posted itt that discipline is worse than morale for the exact reasons stated above. Discipline kills guys. Morale wins wars. I'm just saying I would have gotten Pluto even if it didn't have the 10% morale, because the other things in it are so good, like tech cost. Really, I'd say the manpower recovery might be even more powerful than the morale. I'm a hardcore disciple of ideas that give manpower, manpower recovery and morale.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Papal States is actually insane in this patch, possibly as strong as Brandenburg, maybe stronger. I just did some MP as the Papal States. Another poster in this thread and me decided to turn off Lucky Nations to see what would happen and I think it has been pretty hilarious. I was able to day 1 rival France and ally Austria. Austria then got into a PU war with them. Over Navarra. I got called in, and proceeded to take land from France as the Pope. In 1444. I separate peaced out to take my land, but Austria was not happy, so they sat on France for another 5 years or so, without sieging Navarra or Bearn. So France went bankrupt. They are still bankrupt now.

It is now around 1480 and every province in France is over 90% autonomy except Paris. France will not recover for 50 years, and have a forcelimit of 7. They rival me, Provence and Liege. Liege has 2 provinces. A beautiful France, if I must say so myself. For about 20 years they somehow allied Austria, and Austria just parked a 20 stack on Paris for the whole time and dealt with their millions of rebels before deciding they were a lost cause. Never seen the AI do that before.

I hold about half of middle Italy, plus Venezia, the Southern Coast of France, and about 4 provinces from Aragon including Valencia.

Also, I am finding the AI to be exceptionally stupid in this run. Provence and Austria sat on the province next to Labourd for about 4 of those 5 years when France was sitting their 2 stack on Bearn, with about 40k. The entire time they were taking 10% attrition. Brittany spent about 5 years at war with France too, but never moved a single man into France, they just sat them on Nantes, watching France meltdown to Hussite Heretics.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

pdxjohan posted:

This!

I am very proud of the new fortsystem. I love doing eu4 expansions with Wiz and his team.

Maybe we should post a devdiary tomorrow about how our designprocess works and why that has improved EU4 beyond our wildest hopes in the last 1.5 years.

A devdiary would be nice, but I would actually love to hear or watch a proper web series about your design process, as well as experiences from the type of model your studio uses, and how it has helped and hindered developing EUIV and CK2. I know Henrik Fahraeus has been on a podcast on the Idle Thumbs site called "Designer Notes" (to anyone who hasn't heard it: https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/henrik-fahraeus) where he has talked about working on CK2, and discussed comparisons to Civ with Jon Shafer and it was extremely interesting, but I would really love for you guys to sit in your streaming studio and just talk about development.

Talk about how the design process works, discuss influences from the original EU all the way up to what has influenced modern EU, what your business model has done to your approach and how that may have adjusted fan expectations, the sort. Just you and the teams sitting down and talking shop. Also, get tales from the team about funny bugs. I will always read/listen/watch the team talk about funny bugs.

It would be interesting for me to listen to, for certain, but it might also be interesting for other studios who employ different methods to yours.

Incidentally, I think forts are the best thing to happen to EUIV, so thanks to you and the team for adding them. It adds a lot of strategic depth to the game in my eyes.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 1, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Good stuff. I really think you guys could have a thing I you made a short video or podcast series about it though.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

I just had the weirdest bug happen. The Papal State annexed Florence and then a coalition formed against me. I was in no way involved in the war.

Who were you playing as? Are you sure you didn't have a load of AE yourself from past expansion? If you have a load of truces lined up a coalition won't form because the rules of coalitions. And the AI is not likely to form a coalition they won't win, so it might wait till other partners can join.

Or it might be a bug.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

Oddly enough it happened because I formed a coalition against them. When I left it everyone left the coalition against me. I had about 35ish AE with everyone around me but they had 50! with countries as far away as The Palatinate.

You must've triggered a check or something like that. Over 30 is coalition territory though, so be careful. Likely the AI is not coalitioning the Pope because he has a load of truces, and has good relations with everyone. If he is papal controller then he will have an extra diplomat to improve relations with.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

They didn't have good relations with anyone besides their allies at the time. And like I said as soon as I left the coalition against them everyone left the coalition against me. Like states that were friendly with me even joined the coalition against me.

Weird. That does sound fishy.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So your dominant culture would be fine with 0% autonomy, that big new area of non-accepted culture you just annexed is going to be pissed off at anything short of 100% autonomy, but over time that culture becomes more and more integrated, thus tolerates a lower and lower autonomy but only to a point unless you work to make that culture more accepted via spending monarch points some how.

re; autonomy chat

I feel like autonomy should be a slider, like army maintenance. The autonomy of land did not drop to nothing and never return throughout history, it fluctuated with centralization and decentralization as land changed hands or states changed leaders. Sometimes this took periods of time like the game already reflects with autonomy, other times attempts were made and immediately revoked because it was too rebellious. Having sliders set to points above or below 50% should add or remove revolt risk accordingly, with 50% as the default 'zero point' where you get no autonomy revolting, but also only running at 50% efficiency. As you mention, cultural acceptance, separatism and possibly distance from capital should impact that factor also.

This might add a greater strategic element to provincial autonomy, where you can lower it in your newer or non-accepted lands in wartime, at the risk of exploding into rebellion as your demands for greater production and removal of liberties for the war effort are met with refusal. If you see a war as being a drawn out war of attrition, you could crank it down in the heartlands and crank it up for a short time in the more rebellious lands, as though you conceded some luxuries over to a local figure to get them to agree to a war they were not supportive of. War exhaustion, instead of adding base unrest, could be retooled instead adjust the 'zero point' of your autonomy, where you receive no revolt risk for being at. What starts out at 50% might slide up to 55% or 60% in a horrible war, maybe even 70% or 80% when you are at breaking point.

The player might get events to be able to bribe or woo local figures for a timed modifier on a province that might reduce the zero point by 10% for 20 years. Throw it in as events for Aristocratic, to make it worth taking more often (as well as Pluto, but that is good already). Other things might happen which piss the locals off too, knocking the zero point up.

Right now autonomy is a value the player doesn't really look at after they take a province. They crank it up once to reduce revolt risk, park some troops down on it for a while, and then forget about it. You might get an event once every 50 or 100 years that knocks it up by 5% or 10%, and the Netherlands with 100%. But those situations are both rare or exceptional. If you are like me, you might get Economic ideas to get the modifier. But really, you are not actually interacting with it much. You are using the mechanic once, and not looking back.

Since government ranks have been massively adjusted recently which impacts autonomy, I can understand why the team miiiight not be willing to look at autonomy again any time soon. But I don't think it is a very fun or interesting mechanic as it is now. It has some strategic depth, but only very superficial, one time depth. That is probably because it is a very rigid mechanic, with a huge cooldown timer. Adding some more flexibility to it will really make it feel a lot deeper. To stop it being gamed easily with "well I will drop it in war, then immediately raise it when things get hairy, bullet dodged", make it work like troop morale. When you move the slider it takes time to get to the position you want. Maybe a 6 months or a year to go from 50% to 0%, and two years for 0% to 100%. That way the player can't just change it when they see provinces suddenly go red in the rebel sidebar. Also, higher ranks of government should lower the time it takes to actually get to the desired autonomy.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 3, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

that's nothing

e; I intend to take it up to 200 or so eventually.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

How many times did u develop?

116 times. That Rome posted earlier developed 53 times.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Back To 99 posted:

So if a OPM is developed 100 times will it have the power of a large nation, or are you still limited by the fact that you just have one province?

They have a big roadblock in manpower and reinforcement. You only have one province, so when you get routed you are unlikely to retreat to your homeland due to distance, so you will just end up in your allies land. Reinforcing is a bit slow, and so is manpower recovery. Also, if you accidentally get stackwiped, you are pretty much out of the war because it will take so long to rebuild a new one. You are a glass cannon. They will have a lot of economic power, both in trade and tax though.

Infact, I just came up with a runthrough idea. Glass Canon. OPM Papal State playthrough, just sad that you can't make the Papacy a Free City.

e; development guide - only develop farmlands or grasslands, prioritise developing tax or manpower on low value trade goods like grain or fish, prioritise production on high value goods like cloth, silk, spices, etc. Don't bother developing woods, marsh, hills or mountains, unless you are the Netherlands. As a larger nation, it is better to distribute development across your country onto the cheapest land you can develop which meets those criteria than to develop one province up. Only develop if you are ahead of time by more than 10%, and only put a max of 100 points in that tech group per year ahead.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That kind of growth doesn't really happen outside of Europe, and that kind of growth and development was what actually happened in Europe over the course of the period. Much faster growth than the rest of the world.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I've just finished rebalancing the entire world in terms of development, with manpower being directly dependent on population, while tax and production are dependent on GDP per capita too. The need to increase development was pretty varied though, with some non-European regions probably having been overpowered relative to Europe. (There's a lot of variation in Europe though.) On the other hand, India and China became massively more developed. Like, Ming starts out at over 9000 development. It might surprise you then to find that I'm adding some triggered modifiers which adds diminishing returns to additional development, curbing the power of large states relative to small ones, especially for early governments. That's a general system for all countries though, from the size of Anhalt and up to a potential super-Ming, not just a Ming specific handicap.

I wonder how the world is going to turn out when I actually test it out though. Maybe Ming will be the Yellow Menace it was always destined to be, clashing with light of European civilization, France, in the Ukrainian steppes.

9000 dev? That sounds ridiculous, like unbeatable ridiculous. Kinda terrifying, kinda intriguing. If I am thinking rightly, it means that Ming will probably just eat all of the steppes, absorb their low development, then turn to the mountains, and then to the south of Asia and just become king of the continent.

It miiiight be worth dropping development by a solid percentage rate across the globe if that is the case, like by 50%. It sounds like wars will just involve millions of men at all times, even with curbed modifiers to lower the abilities of a nation. It sounds hilarious to run as a spectator though.

The problem with perfectly reflecting historical stats in a game like this is that while you can replicate numbers, you can't really simulate attitudes that well, or at least, not like they are in real life. So, while with their amazing population Ming could have conquered all of Asia like they are liable to in your mod due to their sheer strength, they were highly isolationist and didn't actually grow much at all in reality. Unfortunately, the AI is unlikely to respect that fact when their numbers are cranked so highly up. It will just see "Lower manpower, Ming crush".

And yeah, when I said growth I meant economic growth more than population, didn't really make myself clear there, sorry about that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
In my Jaunpur hell game, I ran an army which had all merc infantry. I never worried about manpower. Only time I ever had non-merc inf was when I integrated a vassal. The only downside was when infantry tech would advance. I wish Paradox would just add a "Upgrade mercs" button like with ships. Make it cost the same, just save me the time of rebuilding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, you need to break the PLC in a Holy Trinity run once you get the vassals. You can handle Poland or Lithuania as the Pope. You cannot handle both, especially when one of which cannot peace out on its own.

e; also, get some beefy alliance, like Austria, and never call them into offensive wars

just keep them to hold the polish off your back

Another Person fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 7, 2015

• Locked thread