Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting back into EU thanks to the Summer Sale. Got all the content DLC. Any mods on the Workshop you guys can recommend, preferably stuff a bit close to the vanilla experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Traxis posted:

'Better UI' is a must have. Also check out 'TBARW' (thick borders and recolored water) and it's optional packs. 'GFX Overhaul' is another good ironman compatible graphics mod. If you want to get away from vanilla a bit check out 'Dynamic and Random Lucky Nations' and 'Shattered Europa'

Yo thanks for this!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My Dutch game took an awesome and completely unexpected turn when France (sadly a weaker France due to an earlier punitive war) suddenly fell under a Personal Union with me. That was followed with a war against the Iberians and Naples, which was particularly brutal since my German allies joined in to defend me. Ended up with Castille losing their CoT in the Ivory Coast to me, leaving one left before I have the whole set. I got no interest at all for the New World in this game, so I'm focusing my efforts on pimping out the home counties and building a trade empire in the East.

A few questions regarding all the new stuff since CoP:

1) Will I be fine just holding all the CoTs in the Ivory Coast for locking down trade there? The overseas provinces changes make it so conquering the entire area seems like a waste of time since all the money there is in trade goods, which is better left to the natives to develop.

2) If holding the CoTs is enough to secure trade dominance in Africa, does the same apply to Asian provinces?

3) Artois is in French hands, and it's a Lowland county so I want it. Can I have France give or sell it to me?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it possible to become a strong trading power without colonization/trade companies? I want to play a Hansa game without stepping out of Northern/North-eastern Europe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's an Achievement for getting over 90% tP in 2 of the game's most hotly contested nodes as Venice while maintaining only 10 provinces...yeah it's possible and it's powerful.

Nice, that's my next stop once Wiz's patch drops so development is much easier.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's no point to Humanism if I'm playing tall and colonizing Asia, right? Sounds more like something a wide, culturally and religiously-divided nation could use.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

What do you mean colonize Asia?

Trade companies and so forth, as opposed to colonial nations in the New World.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, I went and turned back time in my Holland game after thinking "oh, pretty sure more money will be more useful than ADM points here in the Low Countries since I'll probably have to vassalize my neighbors thanks to the HRE". Years later, I've yet to get a single vassal but sunk a lot of points into coring places like Friesland and poo poo. And all this time the Emperor didn't care because he was Austria and was my bud during the Independence War :doh:

And I went and did the mistake of taking Exploration as my second Idea group again despite the fact that I'm never beating Portugal and Castille to the Ivory Coast, and might as well spend those points on something that'll help the unification of the Netherlands before colonial range catches up :argh:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I may or may not have forgotten to set the mean time to happen for my population growth event back to its proper value after initially setting it to 1 month to make sure it worked.

In Megacity Blue, Judge Effroi is the law!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Not sure exactly what transpired in this part of the world before it was revealed:

but honestly, Ming exploding into confetti needs to happen more often.

East Asia is always such a border clusterfuck whenever I get there. In my game, Japan is in South Korea while Hosokawa managed to conquer the entire homeland.

It's like Iberia without lucky nations; Castille just can't keep Aragon down for good and there'll be these terracotta-colored pockets of resistance along the Mediterranean side.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mygna posted:

My Tabarestan -> Persia game just took a strange turn when a band of revolutionary rebels spawned in the Hindukush:

Note the date.

Yeah, had this happen in a Florence game too. I was already regretting taking the decision to turn into Tuscany (because it switched me from a republic to a monarchy), so I intentionally let them take my provinces.

I still wish that forming Italy didn't turn you into a monarchy. Republics for life :911:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TTBF posted:

I'm playing my first HRE game as Brandenburg. The main thing puzzling me is why did the Emperor demand unlawful territory from me when I'm in the empire? I'm now emperor and have the prompt to do the same to other nations that are entirely in the empire.

You, as a nation, don't have legitimate claims to said territory within the Empire. Basically the Emperor's keeping you down, as opposed to keeping the Empire safe from outsiders. To counter it, you can butter up the Emperor (can't remember the threshold but at a certain relations level he'll let it slide), vassalize other states instead, or be the Emperor.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is Lithuania guaranteed to rival me as Novgorod every game start? I want to get a Merchant Republic Russia game going, but Sweden is real slow at breaking free from Denmark and even then I feel like I need the Lithuanians to even stand a chance against Muscovy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Almost guaranteed, you border and have similar size. To fight Muskovy you should suck up to a horde on the other side from them, Kazan or Golden Horde, those kick serious rear end in early game.

Good idea, I forgot that the hordes were still pretty relevant at 1444.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, army composition as Russia is tricky. No, not the inf/cav/art split; it's learning how to build stacks that won't attrition themselves to death in the harsh snowscape while remaining strong enough to fend off rebels or whatever while other stacks rush to their aid.

EDIT: When to put off tech upgrades is tricky too. Can't decide if the production and trade bonuses are worth losing to advance ideas and poo poo, what with mercenaries being key to my playstyle.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 2, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Is the usual inf/cav/art split different as Russia? Does Westernizing change it?

Nah, it's the same. It's just that you have lovely supply limits that get even worse the further you go east, and the new fort system means that you effectively need lots of smaller stacks across a large frontier to catch rebels and invaders as Russia.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gently caress, you need to be Western Tech to get Trade Companies? My plan to go east as Novgorodian Russia, build a fleet in Siberia, and colonize Asia from the other direction has just gotten a lot more complicated, and it was already tricky as gently caress since I'm spending a lot of admin points on all sorts of poo poo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Poland and Lithuania are my mortal enemies, so I guess it's workable. It's just that I rather stay in Russian regions, though I could snipe it and turn it into a death fortress of attrition until seperatism is up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Release Danzig, diplovassalize, wait 10 years, integrate, Westernize. Piece of cake.

Brilliant! Once I kick off the Great Eastern Attrition-fest, I'll have something to force on the Poles come the finish.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just repeatedly broke the combined might of Poland-Lithuania on the frozen walls of Russia, not because of Muscovy's infinite manpower pool, but because Novgorod is a haven of mercenary scum the world over that will always have money to pay. I took three valuable Russian provinces from them, as well as Danzig, which I turned into a vassal and will eventually give me my Westernization.

Just when I was thinking of quitting that campaign thanks to the boring-rear end rebel cleanup every conquest, Lithuania thinks it can snipe Finland away from me...comrades, now I understand :ussr:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn Malacca having Defender of the Faith...the gently caress do you care if some shithole horde far to the north-west gets merc'd by capitalist Russians? Now my colonization of South-east Asia is going to be put at risk every time I conquer in Central Asia because the Malaccans are going to seize my colonies then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

That's a funny way to look at having a free CB on some of the richest trade ports in the world.

I got Expansion AND Religious, man! I ain't lacking in CBs; time is what I need!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have a Brandenburg game going on, and I've reached the point where my troops are killing machines and nothing short of a world-wide coalition can stop my advance towards a unified Germany.

However, ever since I discovered the wonders of Administrative Ideas and not giving a poo poo about manpower, Prussia's armies are not filled with German-blooded soldiers; instead, they are sellswords and vagabonds from all over the globe, trained to exacting Prussian standards and devoted to fighting for their new home. And my, how do they fight.

I've no interest in expanding beyond German borders either, so I've taken to declaring war on powerful neighbors just for the power projection, the loot, and the thrill of war. To mercenaries everywhere, there will always be warm beds, hot food, the finest weapons, and a battle to fight in under the Prussian banner. Soldiers will always have a purpose, and will never be neglected in my...

...äußere Himmel.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Another Person posted:

shift your ambitions

you don't want their land, you want to vassalise all of them until they turn hostile, and then beat them all down at once like the idiots they are

in my brandenburg-prussia-germany game I made all of europe vassals

I got started on that with Denmark and Silesia, haha! Meanwhile I'm best buds with Poland thanks to the trick where you constantly cockblock them from Danzig and the rest of Prussia until I got too big to gently caress with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

When should I consider completely annexation over sniping provinces?

When you're confident you can put down revolts in the area, you have enough ADM points for coring, and that the additional AE won't be a concern because you won't be conquering in that area for a while or you're strong enough to beat coalitions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yesterday Ive started a game in Florence, with the goal of forming Italy, among other things.

It went downhill fast: Ive easilly annexed my one-province neighbours Lucca and Sienna through fabricated claims. Then a coalition was formed against me with basically everyone around and it was game over.

Any tips on playing italians nations? How am I supposed to grow if so little is enough to turn everyone into my enemy?

Slow your roll, man. Don't just conquer everything around you from the get-go; consolidate your gains and wait for AE to cool off before going back on the warpath. Maybe get Influence for the lessened AE on conquest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This Morocco campaign has been a giant pain in the rear end so far, what with the Iberians getting in their reconquista circlejerk, and the other North Africans deciding to buddy up with the loving Ottomans. I only managed to win the first Iberian war by getting their AI into a movement loop and winning through warscore.

I better be able to come back in force through the power of African gold, or I'm going to be real disappointed.

EDIT: Oh look, war dec for Ceuta again while I'm Westernizing! gently caress this, I'm going to play Ottomans and just loving poo poo all over these assholes on my rampage westward.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 16, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit WHAT, you need to be Western to use the Overseas Expansion casus belli?! I JUST WANT TO UNIFY AFRICA UNDER A PLURALIST MUSLIM STATE

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, I'm mainly vassalizing-annexing the African states to expand so I guess I don't really need it...but I still ended up maxing out my first Idea slot for a colonist and some income boosters! I could've used those ADM points on base tax development and Administrative instead so I could resort to dumping mercs on everything forever :saddowns:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Learning to consolidate your units is very important if you rely heavily on mercenaries (like me), because:

1) You'll probably be using mercenary infantry;
2) Infantry generally takes the most casualties in combat;
3) Low-strength infantry units crumble easily, and once dead/routed will expose your backline;
4) You can recruit new mercenary infantry units anywhere under your control (non-overseas) very quickly.

This means that with enough cash, you can always ensure your armies' front ranks will always be ready for combat, and can push the advantage in a war without having to spend too much time holding position/retreating to regain their strength.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Awesome stuff, but unfortunately it looks like my all-mercs-all-day strategy has finally met its end. Fiddle played, etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna get a bonus soon. Is Cossacks worth the buying price, or should I wait for the patch to drop and possibly a sale before diving back in?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, 1.16 is coming with a new DLC? Aw man, maybe I should hold off and get Cossacks + that once the dust settles then...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

YF-23 posted:

The release strategy seems to be one major patch with a DLC, followed by a major patch that rebalances features and adds small things. So you have even numbered patches like 1.12 and 1.14 coming out with DLCs, followed by odd numbered patches like 1.13 and 1.15 which come in-between DLC releases.

Yeah, it's been a while so I was way out of the loop. Last thing I remember was a patch introducing a mercenary limit so only a percentage of your total army could be mercs. Never did finish my Tunisian Africa run either.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dibujante posted:

I thought something similar but have no good ideas. Call one of them crown land and the other nothing?

Demesne

The gaps between CK2 and EU4 grow ever narrower

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Shroud posted:

Where did these generals get their fire pips in the first place? How should it even be possible to have multiple fire pips in the mid 1400s?

Hey Paradox, can we get an event chain that lets us find the place where these people are getting their ridiculously advanced knowledge from?

Doesn't have to mean literal gunpowder tactics, could just be a general that favors shooting dudes instead of stabbing them. Men before their time, sort of thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Well, that would be neat, except that in the early game the fire phase does basically no damage. There are no units that fire anything until around 1550 in the game.

I didn't say they'd be effective shooters :cheeky:

But yeah, getting a high-Fire general at game start is always such a bummer because it's an advantage you can't use during a time where you need as many as you can. That'll sink anyone's spirits.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's Steam Sale time! Odd that Mare Nostrum isn't on sale while Stellaris is, though. Is it worth buying it at full price?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, thanks guys. Sounds like there isn't much fervor about EU4 right now, which is a shame since I kinda wanted to get back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm way too behind on CK2 DLC, so I'm thinking of grabbing Cossacks and Mare Nostrum this sale in preparation for Rights of Man. Any word on how much RoM is going to cost?

• Locked thread