Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ming should just gèt 0 mercs imo. Low manpower should be rightfully crippling to them, as it was historically on many occasions. I'm still unconvinced about no defensive CTA though, although it obviously needs to be tweaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huh upgraded advisors is cool. I feel like the game has a huge glut of ways to get monarch points these days though; it's ironic, since a couple of years ago there was the total opposite problem, but between estates, disinheritance and great powers (i.e. permanent 50+ power projection), I've pretty much stopped ever not being ahead on tech. I almost always develop and culture convert like mad too now.

e: I like the aq qoyunlu government button that's literally just a picture of horses

TorakFade posted:

even if I am planning a Middle Eastern playthrough once it hits

:confused: uh what? I get it not sounding like it has universal appeal outside of that, but it sounds like it's gonna be absolutely great for the middle east to me.

Doubling down on regional flavor is the direction I hoped they'd go and most of what they've shown off seems to do that pretty well. I agree that tying all these interactions to the clunky states window is a mark against them though; state interactions really need a macrobuilder tab.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
here's some of the screenshots with new stuff:

In addition to the whole upgrade thing, there's two new buttons for the advisors on the left too? To do with culture and religion? I wonder if you can only upgrade accepted-culture advisors to the top rank or something. Seems neat that they're fleshing advisors out a bit though, they can add a lot of character to individual regions since they're one of the only parts of your country that has a face, I always thought that should be expanded on a bit.

Seems... drastic.

Can't wait for this. That window needs to be a bit bigger though, look how stuffed with buttons it is now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

V for Vegas posted:

I don't know why people complain so much about feature bloat - I love tinkering around with all the different sub-systems and if Paradox want to put more into the game I say more power to them - stuff that game so full of bars and buttons and mana trackers that you can't go a month without the game going 'ding' because some number container reach its new level so you can upgrade some widget.

It's bloat when the systems aren't interacting. Army professionalism having no relation to army tradition, ages having barely any relation to institutions, things like China's mandate being tied wholly devastation that came in its expansion and not also lots of other things in the game that should affect it. There are countless examples. They keep adding lots of discrete systems on top of other discrete systems rather than integrating them all into some greater whole. I don't think it's that bad like some people do, the game is still great fun and I think gets more so with every expansion, but this has been an issue for most of the game's lifespan and rather than addressing it, Paradox has just been doubling down.

Where I think the bloat is totally fine is in regional flavor. All the new mana types and unit types and so on for individual countries is great imo, since it's something unique for each play through and it doesn't feel so redundant when there's just one or two unique systems to keep track of.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Russia's supposed to ramp up strength slowly over the course of the game, the Ottomans are supposed to peak in the mid-game and then have a slow decline. I think the new Janissaries sound fine, it's just Streltzy that are overpowered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I disagree, monarch points spent even through development gives you a much stronger foundation to start with than the few more loans takes out of it. The only advisor type I don't push hard for early is the mil one since those points tend to be pretty abundant; with estates you literally always have access to a half price admin dude, and almost always a half price dip dude, and normally within a few decades they're gonna default to being level 3's. So from that point on it's level 3's all the way.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
they've mentioned that the achievement is gonna include livestock when the patch hits.

all I can think of is anything as the Ottomans, not that their achievements are particularly hard normally. maybe if you were planning on getting a world conquest with them or something

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
What makes you say Third Rome was unsuccessful? We don't know the actual sales figures (as far as I know? Paradox games aren't on steamspy), and it hasn't got all that many fewer reviews than the full fledged expansions. Plus they're doubling down on the style of mechanics added. It got review bombed but a lot of that was down to it getting released alongside the whole pricing fiasco thing.

I expect (and hope) they'll start thinking about EU5 before too long but I expect we'll keep seeing expansions for the next couple of years even while it's in development. I think up through Rights of Man, Johan was mentioning that every expansion had more sales than the last one. I know there's a lot of doomsaying on these forums but it's mostly coming from the same half dozen people, I don't think it's all that representative of the general attitudes towards how EU4 is developing.

I do agree the game needs a time out to consolidate poo poo though, it's been nearly a year since we've gotten one of the proper-with-beta-and-everything major balance patches.

nessin posted:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday which mentioned the Imperium mod, which was a surprise to me since for some reason I never thought of EU4 having any big conversion mods other than M&T. Are there any other significant overhaul mods out there worth checking out besides M&T and Imperium?

mine, when i actually release it like 6 months from now or whatever :smug:

e: real answer: there's none that redo the whole map like those, but for big conversion mods with a tighter focus there's Mesoamerica Universalis set entirely in Mesoamerica, Iaponia Universalis set entirely in Japan, and Voltaire's Nightmare set entirely in the HRE. The latter is also being converted into one that covers all of Europe in mega-detail, but I dunno how stable that is yet. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 11, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think Paradox asked too, but come to think of it didn't the steamspy dude just decide to publish all the stats anyway? I vaguely remember something like that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There are some that are sorta comparable- Firaxis and Creative Assembly, and they run just as expensive really. Although they do actually reduce their prices, to be fair.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Then make the big dlc $10, the halfsie 3rd Rome ones $5, and cosmetic stuff $2.50.

I'm with you on the first part of your post but this is delusionally cheap. Since it seems like they only do 66% off sales like once a year now though the game is seriously crying out for some proper bundles.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
what I did is to group all my province history files by areas and regions in a spreadsheet, so I can just copy the numbers from a series of rows right next to each other from that and put them right in the trade nodes etc. Since Mandate of Heaven official design has been (I'm pretty sure anyway) for trade nodes to match regions, so it's simple in that sense now too.

also I don't understand half the new modding scripting stuff but I don't have time to look it over properly now so I'll probably have questions about that later. thank you groogy (and all of paradox) for really supporting this stuff though, occasionally I try to mod other games and remember how good we have it for these titles

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Mandate of Heaven has edicts. It's on the area tab in the province window.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Rights of Man adds the most overall to the experience, but Common Sense has one feature (development) that's extremely important when you're not playing in Europe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Arcturas posted:

Unless Constitutional Monarchy eliminates them?

Pretty sure it does. England's unique government (which is basically just constitutional monarchy) definitely does, so I imagine it's the same for that.

In general though you might find an estate disappears if you give it 0 influence, so adding provinces will revive them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's time for a new thread. The OP hasn't been updated in over two years and it's about five expansions out of date.

Also the title is dubious advice.

Yeah, a new expansion is just about to come out too so it's a good time for it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Drone posted:

As much as I think the DLC model (which borders on software-as-a-service) is not a bad thing, I think it's going to bite Paradox in the rear end real hard when it comes time to make the next sequels for the current DLC-focused games (CK2, EU4, HOI4). Granted that time is probably several years down the road, but at some point the Clausewitz engine will need a replacement, and Paradox will be forced to somehow pare back all of these features into a single $39 title, which will be impossible to do.

Like Johan said, the only real way forward with sequels to those titles is if there is a complete sea change in their design philosophies, which... kinda can't happen very easily in the strategy market. I mean, look at Civ 5 -> Civ 6 as a good example, with tons of fans of the series saying that they recommend sticking with the previous version, even to this day. And Civ 5 only got 2 expansions, where CK2 has had 14 and EU4 has 12.

I dunno, people were saying the same about EU3 vs EU4 for a while but I don't think it actually affected sales that much except for the most hardcore among the Paradox fans- and EU4's sold more than a million copies, so I dunno if those players are actually as representative of the normal player as the impression we get makes them out to be. Honestly I think going down this path until they squeeze the game dry, without consolidating the stuff properly, might actually be a good thing (for Paradox, maybe not us) in terms of making a sequel. It'll be much easier to sell it as a huge sweeping change if there's genuinely tons of systems that have been consolidated well.

Plus I do think there's some big changes they can still do for an EU5 that will feel huge. Revamping combat, colonialism, trade- all things that have been pretty untouched since launch or EU3. Dynamic trade especially (and making the AI take advantage of trade more) would make for a pretty different game. The whole design philosophy as well- my impression is they've been going to a huge amount of effort to make the game less Eurocentric, in a way that I don't think was on their radar when the game was first being developed. So a new title with that in mind from the get-go could be a big change. Also other stuff like areas taking a lot of the slack away from provinces (which I think they've seemed to be doing a bit of now, but maybe a whole new game would be where they could take advantage of it totally, maybe even for better performance too if a lot of the tasks are offloaded into the fewer-in-number areas).

There are lots of places they can go, and especially if they focus more on regional DLC as EU4 gets older so they don't have to do these core system changes that they could be working into an EU5 then I don't think moving forward in the series is gonna be as hopeless as a lot of people say.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does that roll back everything? I heard there were issues with it in the past.

It works just fine in my experience, but then I never had any issues with it before so I dunno. Only annoying thing is it wipes your minimap buttons if you go back to the patch before they revamped those.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Trin Tragula finally brought up some China changes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cradle-of-civilization-and-ming.1052229/&sdpDevPosts=1

pretty disappointing though, he says what happens depends on how the rest of the world is doing but in my experience China really doesn't care about that. I guess it could have an effect though, we'll see.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A big thing which touches on all of these is really the strategic layer of combat. If your ability to actually wage war in a region was to a great degree dependent on your trade presence, it'd create a very different dynamic for colonization. In the Americas, the Caribbean would become very important for establishing a foothold in the Americas which you can then leverage into mainland conquest, since you'd need to invest much less to get a nice profitable presence - encouraging a historical colonization pattern through game mechanics. Similarly, opening up a trade presence in Asia would be the first step towards conquest, as opposed to massive conquest being a way to open up trade.

More to do with colonization and trade empires and stuff is my biggest wish for this series. It's the era of European global expansion, where most of the major European powers competed for (and had their fortunes decided by) incredibly lucrative trade, but so many players are content to just sit on their asses in Europe the entire game while ignoring everything else. Paradox has modeled the whole world in excruciating detail, but for the most part they all just act as discrete regions without too much interaction. Whereas in history this was the era of globalization, where the discovery of the Americas had enormous ripple effects over the entirety of Eurasia. Asian trade is also just piss poor until suddenly it's extremely overpowered after you've spent centuries investing in it; your comment about how opening trade there should lead to more is spot on, it's completely backwards, plus the AI isn't really capable of doing it. Eurasian trade stuff done with some kind of peacetime mechanic, i.e. without directly shipping over a hundred thousand European line infantry into Zanzibar, would both make more sense and maybe mean the AI could actually do it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
new dev diary on some online fixes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-31st-of-october-2017.1052692/

apparently hot join might actually work now.

also he teased one of the new buildings; apparently there are gonna be 2 in this patch:

in other news, it's the 500th anniversary of the reformation. I haven't done an HRE game in a long-rear end time so I guess I have a task for tonight

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You could do the tatar cultures run too, there's an achievement for it even

AnoHito posted:

e: vv If you do Japan, you'll probably want to stop after uniting the place, since colonizing is the only sane method of expansion after that.

there's nothing saner than deciding to conquer korea and china with just your home islands as a base

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Mandate of Heaven adds a ton if you're in East Asia, it only breaks things if you're on the periphery of the tributary system which is normally around India and the Kazakh steppe, since if you're within the tributary system yourself then you can work with it. Still if you don't wanna play in East Asia then it's nothing huge, and I doubt it'll have an especially significant sale yet so it's probably worth holding off on.

The diplo macro builder especially is really good though yeah

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
code:
Q: Terrain / simple terrain
W: Political
E: Trade / trade goods
R: Autonomy / colonial range
T: Religious
Y: Diplomatic
U: Coalition / opinion
I: Estates
O: Areas / regions
P: Edicts / development
Terrain is the first one because that was the default and I had it like that for so long that it looks odd to me if it's any different. Other than that I change them around a bit depending on what campaign I'm doing, with the one rule that political is always the only one in its group.

There was something I was using on the toggle with areas for a long time that was really useful but I'm totally forgetting what it was now, drat.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fellblade posted:

EUIV and all the DLC since release (literally all, including the stupid poo poo nobody needs) would set you back less than anybody who plays yearly released console games like COD/FIFA exclusively has spent in that same time period.

The problem is on the Paradox side, how to get new people into the game, I don't think it's a consumer issue.

I don't think it's even been a problem, EU4 seems to still be doing great. I get the impression it hit the end of the "every expansion sells more than the last" phase it was in up to Rights of Man, since I haven't seen devs bring that up since, but I dunno why everyone is acting like Paradox desperately needs to revise their strategy to actually draw new players.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Still think Ming should just get no mercenaries period.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm writing the new OP now for the expansion tomorrow, if anyone has title suggestions say them now or else I'm just gonna do a search for whatever was the last semi-decent one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840754&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post478441780

• Locked thread