Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

I think it's too early to be saying definitively that we need more monarch points or things should cost less or whatever. We've all been playing the game blobby for 2 years now; the day after the patch it's still gonna feel weird since it's so different.

This sounds really on the money. It sounds like everybody is trying to conquer tons of stuff and improve development levels all the time, which was not the intention I gathered from the Dev diaries.

Disclaimer: I haven't played since CS dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elman posted:

I haven't improved a single province since I haven't played western yet, but I'd prefer my expansion to be limited by AE, stronger AIs, my vassals' liberty desire or my own fuckups. Monarch points just aren't very fun cause they're one resource you can't really control, as opposed to a bunch of different factors you have to juggle around.

But now we have an actual trade off between going tall and wide. Unless you are limited by something like monarch points, this won't happen.

To solve the lovely monarch problem, everybody should get to have a War of the Roses type event. You get to choose between some medium strength rulers, but you have to fight a huge civil war to do it, and all your neighbors get to intervene.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

if I ... vassalize an ... Elector will that piss off everybody?

Yes. There's a -25 or -50 penalty to other electors voting for you, for each elector you have vassalized. If you have 1 electoral vassal it's a big problem, if you have 4, much less so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

What's a good country for someone trying to get back into the game but who doesn't want to play one of the "Newbie" nations, like ottomans, england, castille, or austria?

Brandenburg, Timurids, a Manchu tribe, or Japanese minor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

randomcommoner posted:

the HRE in my game is a gigantic clusterfuck, with austria having eaten a lot of provinces

Emperor Austria devouring it's way across South Germany is the dumbest thing. Just give the Emperor full military access to the empire all the time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Something is all sorts of wrong with my EU install. But oddly enough the checksum still passes. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, all the flags are hosed. I just finished a complete reinstall and it's still all broken. If I start the game, Brandenburg does in fact have Austria's flag. I wonder how the hell this happened.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

Did you delete your documents folder? Maybe all the flags are saved wrong there.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Try deleting all your mods and starting without steam on? Lots of weird poo poo that popped up since common sense seems to be related to steamworks.

I'd already deleted all the mods to no effect, but deleting the EU4 folder in My Docs and starting without Steam did indeed fix it. Now that I've done it once it seems I can launch from Steam correctly as well.

Average Bear posted:

Rofl at the last two suggestions

I shared your skepticism, but it worked. :iiam:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Back To 99 posted:

The flags are saved in the documents folder so it's pretty obvious that letting the game recreate them could work...

Well would you look at that. I had no idea there was a copy over there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Is there any reason to form the PLC immediately versus continuing to feed Lithuania provinces?

You get cores on all of Lithuania's land for free when you push the button, so by feeding them you push off loads of coring and rebel costs on to them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Even stuff they have uncored? Like can I feed them over 100% OE and then instantly hit the button and get free cores?

That I am unsure of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

So I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, but I stumbled across something today. I kept trying to get the PU with France mission as England, and it just wasn't loving firing. I would even cancel other missions, use the console to clear the wait time, and recheck, and it was just never there after a bunch of tries. All that would fire were missions to increase my army/navy, discover America, and reclaim Armagnac or Poitou. As that was kind of my goal as England, to PU France, I restarted. Only thing I did differently was not choose France as my rival, and suddenly, there it was. I think somehow the rival status prevented me from getting the mission, which seems like unintended behavior, since obviously I would want to rival my biggest rival, France.

Conditions are here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Force_union_on_France

Was your army larger than theirs in both infantry and cavalry?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

Holy poo poo its all starting to make sense...kinda. This is the clearest and most concise explanation I could have saved myself the hassle of stumbling through reddit for. Cheers!

Yeah, that's trade in a nutshell. Trade Value is produced in provinces, and goes into a preassigned Trade Nodes (see the Trade Map Mode). Once that value is in the node, the relative share of Trade Power between countries moves it around. Nations can either try and Collect From Trade (this is done automatically if it's their home node), or Steer Trade downstream - value never flows upstream. If half the Trade Power is used for Collecting, and half the Trade Power is used for Steering, then half of the Trade Value stays in the node (ie. gets collected), and half of it will flow downstream to another node. Which node the Trade Value goes to is determined by the proportion of Trade Power that is being used to steer it in any particular direction.

I keep meaning to write a proper writeup with pictures and stuff, but that's the really short version. Trade actually makes tons of sense if you look at the Trade map mode, and take the time to mouse over everything in the trade node screen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

One of the tips suggests that you can send your merchant to a downstream node to "send a small amount" upstream (or words to that effect) . I take it that would be negligible?

Sorced posted:

I think what the tip means is that if you have unused trade power downstream (i.e. no merchant and you are not collecting anywhere downstream) a small amount of trade power (no trade value) gets transfered upstream.

This is exactly what it means. Trade Value only flows downstream, while Trade Power can flow upstream.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it's better now but there was a version where you were best off piling all your fleets and trade power into a single node and using its gravity to hoover up trade from downstream, rather than apply trade power at those further nodes. It's still true to some extent though. Even if you already control like 99% of your home node it's still a good idea to expand your trade power because that trade power will exert a pull all the way down the chain pulling more golds in.

It doesn't pull all the way up the chain any more, it's only provincial trade power, and it only transfers along one node. So if you monopolize two consecutive nodes (say, Zanzibar and Cape), you steer all the trade into the upstream node, you can collect for free, and there's poo poo all anyone can do about it without deploying fleets to steer in said upstream node.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

[TBARW] transparent political map ... doesn't seem to be working:crossarms:

Yeah, I see the same thing.

VDay posted:

Something I never really thought about because I never bothered to actually get a handle on trade until getting back into this game when CS came out is whether or not it's worth it to have a merchant collect from your home node. I always did it because it seemed like the right thing to do, but I've only recently realized that it's sometimes more beneficial to send him somewhere else if there aren't that many other nations with significant trade power there. My home merchant, for example, was only stopping ~1.5-2 gold worth of value from "leaking out" of my home node, so instead I sent him to a node right below mine and he instead now redirects ~4 gold worth of value into my flow of networks. Where trade value and power come from and how best to min/max or just improve it can be tricky, but the basic trade flow mechanic is surprisingly simple once you sit down and go "Ok what does this stuff actually mean and what is actually happening when I do this?"

Having a merchant in your home node increases the income you collect in that node by 10%. Which is pretty insubstantial. It's typically better to have him out doing something else, unless you have a huge amount of value in your home node, and a general surplus of merchants (which is often the case with a multi-continental colonial power). I'll just quote the wiki:

"EU4 Wiki posted:

Collecting trade in capital
The capital trade node (or main trade port, with Wealth of Nations) collects trade automatically, regardless whether a merchant is active there or not. Sending a merchant to collect in the capital merely adds an additional +10% Trade Income to that specific capital trade node, which is a bonus not granted to other nodes when collecting. Collecting in the capital is generally only worth it for countries that have Trade Power concentrated in fewer trade nodes than they have Merchants.

Stationing a Merchant in the capital increases the income there by 10%, whereas collecting with a Merchant in another node halves the Trade Power. Thus, in most cases a country would have to control more than five times as much Trade Value in the capital as another node to justify stationing a Merchant in the capital. For instance: If a country has 10 ducats worth of Trade Value in their main trade node and 2 ducats in another node, stationing a Merchant in their home node would increase their income by 10% to 11 ducats, while stationing that same merchant in the other node would add 1 ducat to the 10 they're getting from their main trade port, giving them a total of 11 as well.

nessin posted:

So I'm playing my first game after about two years dry of EU4, and there are a couple things new that I'm struggling with. Fortunately none of it new to Common Sense:

1) Just what are Trade Companies? Are they simply a province modifier or something else? I keep seeing references as to how a Trade Company might be a separate entity almost like a colonial nation, but all I see is the button to add a provice to the trade company which puts a couple positives and negatives on the province.

Trade Companies are a provincial modifier, the provinces remain owned by you. In essence you give up all the direct income you would make from that province (typically very little given the other modifiers), in exchange to a big boost to Province Trade Power. This is especially useful for provinces which are River Estuaries or Important Centers of Trade, as they already have a +5-20 Trade Power modifier; it also boosts trade buildings in a big way. As a bonus, if your trade company controls >50% of the Provincial Trade Power in a node, you get an extra merchant from them.

Trade Companies also have a variety of events around them, but those can be basically ignored.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said Aristocratic was actually pretty good now, because you get +1 Diplomat, +1 Leader slot and -10% Mil tech in addition to some decent military stuff like the +25% manpower, cav bonuses, and -1% tradition decay. It's still not the strongest military idea by a long shot, but a lot of the stuff that was previously underwhelming is now really useful.

The fact that Aristocratic has that -1% tradition decay is really making me want to think it's a good pick. Gonna be real tempted to run Defensive, Quality, Aristocratic in this Brandenburg game I've got going.

Pellisworth posted:

The event got commented out in the last patch, dunno why. You're stuck as a Duchy-level government and start as a Feudal Monarchy.

Can Austria elevate itself to a Kingdom? I would expect the King-level title for Austria to be Archduke, though I haven't even looked at the requirements for upgrading, and how attainable that might be for the AI.

How's Burgundy doing in everyone's games? I'm really worried about the potential for the Inheritance to fire these days, since Burgundy often loses an early war and winds up with negative prestige, which would free all its minors. I'm starting to think that union breaks on negative should just be removed, in favor of more relationship shaping events.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GSD posted:

Not that the AI ever does PU Bohemia, let alone inherit it.

Oh to have Europe look like it did in 1560.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tercio posted:

Hoo boy! That's way too many dumb babbys looking to be coddled.

Joking aside, I don't understand the negative response in the least.

It's just people that are really upset that increasing development levels is a DLC feature. Something has to be, christ.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A Muscovy that allies herself with Poland? Preposterous.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No Burgundian Inheritance if France is a subject.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Throw wave after wave of Lithuanians at them until they reach their preset kill limit and shut down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

quote:

Does [the popularity of Brandenburg] mean Prussia can finally have it's colour changed to Prussian Blue?
That fight you'll have to take with Johan. It does mean that Brandenburg is now an interesting country in 1444 though.

What say you Johan?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

I took iceland as the scots. I took the colonisation and exploration trees.I cant reach greenland. WHY CANT I REACH GREENLAND eiriksford is 306 away from reykjavik and my range is 240 after the +50%, why is finding accurate info on this game so pissing hard and what can i do now my colony dreams have been shattered? help mee

Information on the game is perfectly accurate. The guides are assuming you haven't completely ignored your diplomatic tech. Generally the best thing to do is buy the first three exploration ideas, then rush to Diplo 7.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jabarto posted:

The Byzantines may be the heirs to Rome but until they get +20% morale and +7.5 discipline in their national ideas they'll just have to sit on the sidelines. :colbert:

And +20 Infantry Combat Ability, and +0.5 AT, and -1 AT Decay. Prussian ideas are crazy awesome.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's basically begging for an Aristocratic/Quality combo, which is unusual enough in itself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

I was actually looking at a TO->Prussia game as well after changing my mind about going for the Bengal Tiger achievement, and have a bunch of random questions since I've never played a central European country before.

Does going Influence then Defensive seem like a decent plan for an early game diplo-annexing TO? I figure that'll let me set up a decent powerbase before the switch, with the idea being to get Religious around the time the reformation happens pretty much solely for Deus Vult. Then switch to Prussia and follow that up with Offensive or Quality to make my army even more ridiculous. Like I said I've never played in the HRE or central Europe before, so is my made-up timeline reasonable at all? Or am I off by like 50 years and should take an admin idea on my way to the others?

Diploannexing the TO is completely unnecessary. I mean you could, but I'd honestly rather just double down on my strengths right out of the gate. So ally with Poland and Austria day 0, wait for Poland to form their union with Lithuania, then declare war on the TO to retake Neumark. Use a couple infantry to siege that down in the first month, then go try and get troops on Konigsberg, or barring that, anyone of the TO's ducal Prussian provinces (because we're going for maximum pretty borders of course). Park your focus on Military, take Neumark and Konigsberg in the peace (you won't be able to core Konigsberg yet, that doesn't matter), then set your sights on Pommerania. Snag a coastal province or three off them, and then you can core Konigsberg. Then take the Prussian expansion mission and conquer the rest of ducal Prussia. Then just take as many military ideas as the game will let you. You're going to want Defensive/Aristocratic/Quality to max out AT, which will let you roll hilarious god generals.

Religious is unnecessary, take Economic instead. Influence is OK, but only because there isn't anything better to take in the diplomatic group. Maybe Trade.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sharzak posted:

I read this as playing the TO in a diplo-annexing fashion rather than a strategy for diploannexing the TO.

Well poo poo, you're totally right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good way to kill off an heir (if any)?

There is no way to kill heirs or monarchs reliably, because you're not supposed to have awesome monarchs all the time (Dutch Republics notwithstanding). You can make either more likely to die by making them a general, and further help the odds by throwing them into battle as much as possible. But it's far from a sure thing.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 19, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've always thought that the higher tiers of government should start to average your monarch points out a little. So you get screwed over a lot less by a 0/0/0, but a would-be 6/6/6 no longer has the power to revolutionize your country either (because you wouldn't be able to roll one).

Also, perhaps add the ability to spend AT to bump up stats in a particular category for a general? I literally just thought of this, I have not thought it through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xotl posted:

This constant CTD whenever you load a save in the middle of a game is really annoying.

It seems to happen for any game that has been played longer than a few minutes.

Stop save-scumming. :smug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

loving hell Europe is weird off the start now. I think Burgundy got caught fabricating two claims, immediately got half of Europe in a coalition against it, and the other half dogpiled on for good measure. Meanwhile Austria immediately started conquering it's way across Germany, and the Imperial Crown went to Bohemia inside of 5 years. Can Free Cities be attacked by the Emperor? Because god drat do Ravensburg, Augberg and Memmingen ever need to start with that status.

GSD posted:

So what happens if you're over 1000 points in some category when you finish westernizing, and thus now have a cap of 999? Do you just lose those points, or are you simply capped at whatever you have, until you fall under 999?

You definitely used to lose them. Though that may have changed with this patch, I seem to remember some comment like that, or maybe it was just somebody pointing out that you could immediately just spend all those points on Development instead of losing them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

The HRE just declared landfriede(?) which disallows internal HRE wars. I figured I could declare war on him and force him to repeal the law, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I assume my only option is taking my toys and going home (leave the HRE)?

Declare war on a non-HRE ally of the Emperor, 100% him, and roll it back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't know TO had a 50 liberty desire penalty when vassalized by Poland. Welp, there goes my ironman game.

Just take Royal Prussia from them before you vassalize them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Offensive, Defensive, Quantity, Quality are all great and which is best will depend on your situation. Aristocratic is also really good right now because it gives you +1 Diplomat, +1 leader slot, -10% mil tech cost all of which have great utility due to the Common Sense changes removing unique buildings and making MPs tighter. However, Aristocratic is weaker in terms of straight up military strength.

Army Tradition is harder to accumulate this patch, which makes me lean a little more toward Defensive, Quality, and Aristocratic. Combining two or more of those lets you out-general Lucky nations a lot of the time, since they have trouble building AT.

As Netherlands I'd suggest Quantity, Defensive, Aristocratic. Quality would be pretty good, Offensive probably least attractive for you imo.

Yeah, they've done a great job of balancing the military ideas this go around. Even Offensive still seems solid to me, probably best if you pair it up with Quantity, since it helps offset the lack of military tradition. And that +20% Siege Ability.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

1) Will I be fine just holding all the CoTs in the Ivory Coast for locking down trade there? The overseas provinces changes make it so conquering the entire area seems like a waste of time since all the money there is in trade goods, which is better left to the natives to develop.

Not really, they'll give you a commanding share of the trade power, but it will be like 40-60%, rather than like the 90% that you'd want. The alternative is actually not to conquer all of the Ivory Coast, but to conquer South Africa and Zanzibar.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

One caveat about military ideas: picking one first can be fine as long as you know what you're going. If you have a 3+ military skill monarch, and are willing to park your focus on it, it's completely doable to flesh out a military groups while simultaneously keeping up in military tech. The critical thing to remember is that the Military Tactics bonuses from military techs 4, 6, 7 and 8 are huge. If you fall behind by one of those, you'll have a bad day. If you fall behind by two, you should probably restart and rethink your approach.

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone explain combat a little more? Like Morale vs Discipline vs shock vs fire and all that? Combat mechanics always seem to be changing so I don't trust wiki articles, or are they more or less up to date?

The wiki is pretty up to date, combat actually hasn't changed much since the big Discipline change. In a nutshell:

• Combat Ability means your guys do more damage (both kills and morale) to the enemy.
  • Military Tactics means your guys take less damaged (both kills and morale) from the enemy.
  • Discipline does both of the above.
  • All units simultaneously attack and defend in all battles. When looking at unit pips, defensive pips mean they take less damage in that category, offensive pips mean they deal more damage in that category.
  • Unit pips are modified by the individual Infantry/Cavalry/Artillery Fire/Shock modifiers that accumulate with military technology. Cavalry Shock is super important in the beginning, Infantry and Artillery catch up around the middle game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Unfortunately France is my rival, and Hungary won't ally me because their ally (France) is my rival and I'm allied to one of their rivals (Austria). I wanted to try a proxy war with one of their allies (Milan or Naples) but I can't get a CB on either of them.

Just eat the -2 stability.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Catholic.

It might have something to do with me showing up 50 years after the leagues were started?

Yeah, only the Protestant leader gets the CB. If the Protestants never challenge the Catholics, Catholic will get locked in as the Official Faith by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lose a war.

• Locked thread