Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The AI occasionally seems to run into trouble with the "Mothball fort" mechanic. Some minors switch their fort maintenance on and off every day. Whatever budget threshold they're set to use to decide whether or not to support their forts keeps getting tripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Fargo Fukes posted:

My Ironman Tuscany game has reached a stalling point. I've eaten most of Northern Italy, from Milan down to the Papal State, but everything below that is MegaSpain (they fully inherited Aragon and Naples). Advancement to the Northwest is blocked by properly blobby France (who are nearly at modern day borders, which I don't hugely mind as they balance out MegaSpain), to the Northeast is Austria, who I thought were the weaker option but I just fought a gruelling war against them and it's like repeatedly running into a brick wall. Their troops are just plain better than mine, and whilst I have plenty of money to spend and mercenaries to hire, I still run out long before their stacks show any sign of weakening. During the last conflict they had Bohemia tying them down on the Northern front and I still couldn't make any headway against them since any major battle would attract their 50-regiment doomstack and wipe the floor with me. I'm stuck, and getting worried since so many powerful blobs are forming (aforementioned MegaSpain, Final Form France, Greater Britain and the terrifying COMMONWEALTH, which is apparently what you get when Poland eats Lithuania). I feel like I should be a moderate power by now, but instead I'm slipping into insignificance. Any advice? The ideas I picked were Admin for mercs, Trade because money, Quality because mercs are kinda flimsy amd Espionage because it looked fun but is starting to look like a complete dud.

Can you buddy up with France? Using France to crush your enemies can be pretty satisfying. If not, the Commonwealth may not like the Austrians too much. If all else fails, go ask the Turks.

Do not use espionage ideas except in multiplayer and probably not then either. It is bad.

Quality is good, but I'm not sure where it ranks against other mil idea groups. Offensive isn't the undisputed number 1 pick anymore, and defensive/quantity are both great choices, especially for grindy wars against big powers.

Try to lure Austria into fighting you in the Alps where you can negate their numerical advantage, if possible. Only so many units can fight at a time, but even the units that don't fight take morale damage, and morale damage decides battles. Remember that dead mercs don't cause war exhaustion or count against your manpower. Drip feed in mercs as reinforcements. Don't hire merc cavalry or artillery unless you have absolutely no other choice, the expense isn't worth it.

France and Spain usually end up in at least one war where France occupies the entire Iberian Peninsula after six months of competitive massacre in the Pyrenees, so if you see that happen, jump on Naples with both feet.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

If you haven't tried the Papal States they're monstrously strong after Common Sense added a bunch of event bonuses for them.

For example, it's 1490 and I have:

Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion (meh)
decorated Sistine Chapel +0.1 yearly Devotion, +1 Dip Rep (also could choose -1 RR or +0.5 Prestige instead of the dip rep)
Swiss Guard +25% Manpower
Vatican Library -5% tech cost, +5% Discipline (also could choose +1 Dip Rep or -1 RR instead of the Discipline)

Toss those near-guaranteed bonuses on top of your strong NI set and the fact you're small enough to join the HRE at the start and it's very :stare:

I'm enjoying my Papacy game, although I'm slightly annoyed that the Swiss refused to serve in my guard. So much for 25% manpower. :(

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

TTBF posted:

After that I finally learned my lesson and ignored the continent, bee lined for colonizing the Caribbean, and got the entire Caribbean colonial region. At which point the achievement didn't fire. I'm guessing it means the trade node, but I'm kind of burned out on that particular achievement.

I think I almost missed out on that achievement in my Dutch run because there are a couple of provinces that don't look like they are in the Caribbean but actually are. Double check the region map.

Guildencrantz posted:

I'll SHOW THEM ALL :unsmigghh:

The Union of Rome. :ussr:

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
The wall breach tooltip in the siege window says that having artillery makes a breach more likely, but doesn't say how that's calculated. Is that actually implemented? And if so, how exactly does it work?

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there some way to stop CoR from convertign my provinces? I'm the freaking Papal States and I got 2 provinces on the other side of Europe converting my poo poo and noone else is experiencing it. Cremona and Mantua just got flipped by Antwerpen and Thuringen.

I had the same problem in my papal run. Made worse by the fact that everyone else in Italy was apparently immune. Every time I took a province it was converted by a CoR within a year.

While I'm at it, maybe the Evangelical Union needs an AI bump to make it slightly more aggressive, because Austria was the only Catholic country left in the Empire by the early 1600's, but the Protestants decided that even with help from France, Scandinavia, and Turkey they couldn't hope to win and just meekly accepted a Catholic Empire. Austria had no manpower and 6k ducats in loans. Were they so outmatched that it swung around and made them look formidable?

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No it's really bad because it seems like a bug. I've already gone from 125% religious unity to 80 in a few years with nothing to do about it. The papal states used to be initially immune to reformation with the rest of Italy merely resistant but the way its working now is that I'm even more susceptible to reformation to the point where CoRs nowhere near me are converting me.

It'll get worse. My unity bottomed out at like 30%, and that's only because Rome is immune to conversion. It frustrating to have the counter-reformation and not be able to do anything with it, because converting three provinces to Catholicism only gives me a year or so before they convert back to protestantism.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Dei Gratia. The guy who makes it is a pretty good dude too. It was an excellent for EU3, I'd consider it essential along with SRI (which expanded the HRE), though I haven't tried the EU4 version.

A balanced, working version of some of the SRI mechanics (imperial reforms that make sense, the westphalian peace conference, the german peasants war) would be pretty rad.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Is AE totally borked in the new update? I can't take a single HRE province as Palatinate without my AE skyrocketing and coalitions form against me while Cologne waltzes around gobbling up OPMs with no penalties at all.

AE in the empire is doubled as of Art of War. It's made my new Holland run... interesting. Once you get the rhythm of disrupting the coalitions down every ten or fifteen years, it's not so bad. The influence group helps. So does the Diplomat adviser (the better relations over time bonus helps AE tick down faster). Once the coalitions start, I found it helps to use them to grab another claim. After all, everyone who wants to coalition you just tried and failed. Who is going to stop you?

Also, team up with France/the Commonwealth and let them do most of the dying.

I haven't noticed the AI getting any help with AE. Ansbach ate Bavaria and the Palatinate somehow, and was partitioned by the rest of the empire a few years later.

The Ottomans have the advantage of being able to conquer different cultural groups, who all take AE at different rates, so it's hard to judge by them.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

VDay posted:

-Which religion should I go with? Protestant seems like an obvious choice for the settler bonus, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning some kind of colonizing bonus for being Catholic but can't find anything about it now.

Stay Catholic. You'll get a slight settler bonus from the Treaty of Tordesillas, yeah, but the real reason is that one of your national ideas is more papal influence. Take religious ideas for even more papal influence, keep you relations with the papal states maxed out, and cash in on the new papacy modifiers. The -0.1 inflation per year bonus will be especially useful for Spain, who always ends up drowning in American gold.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Those polish exclaves. :stonk:

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

GSD posted:

So how does the game tiebreak elections for the HRE? Like if two powers each have exactly 3 votes.

Like most of the mechanics, it works by means of actual voodoo magic.

Paradox didn't give anyone a vacation. They had to go pay tribute to the Shaman who makes the combat system run.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can someone link me to that crazy Hansa game that someone posted an album to a while back? The trade one, where they were making money hand over fist...

No, but I do have this one.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

:stonk:

It's beautiful.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

What the hell happened there? Did he hand all of that to AI Georgia in a 100% reverse peace deal?

This is as good an excuse as any to bring up a complaint I have with the game: Personal Unions really need some work. As Denmark, I actually had a lot of fun trying to keep a handle on Sweden, but the AI absolutely cannot handle it. Sweden winds up declaring war on Day 2 all the time, and then Denmark has to contend with typically Lithuania and England committing their entire army to Scandinavia. And when Sweden eventually wins, all the lost 10k vs. 1k battles means Denmark has negative prestige, and loses it's union over Norway too. The same issue shows up with Burgundy, where losing one war means all the lowland unions break, while by 1444 the administration of those territories had already been reasonably centralized.

In my same Denmark game, Spain got a PU over France; France and Spain were each their full grown selves, but France just spent the entire time as a loyal subject, which is kind of ridiculous. There's no way major powers should be content to live under a PU like that.

The only occasion where Denmark seems to do well is when it allies Poland day 1, and Poland gets the PU with Lithuania to prevent them from helping Sweden. If this happens, Denmark probably forms Scandinavia, because none of the other countries that typically like to help Sweden (England, Scotland, Pomerania, The Hansa) are strong enough to tip the balance.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Was it confirmed that 1.13 beta saves will still work on 1.13? I haven't had the chance to play since the full patch dropped and don't want to lose the games I was playing on the beta.

They work fine for me.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Wait, until the death of who?

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

TorakFade posted:

A question - I am allied with Great Britain and rival to France, and GB wanted to reclaim some cores on the mainland, so I thought I'd help them out; but while I'm sieging southern France and keeping them occupied, GB's 40k strong army is chilling in London, they didn't even try to cross the Channel.

Now, fighting alone against France and Spain while my ally has a full strength army in his capital and not using it kinda sucks, but if I peace out they will get angry at me.

Any idea why this happens? the Channel is not blockaded or anything, they could just load up on their boats and cross, but they just won't.

Britain is an infamously unreliable ally in every Paradox game because the naval invasion A.I. is temperamental at best. That 40k stack may disappear one day and reappear in the Canary Islands, for instance, and then stay there for the rest of the war. They won't even ask for it in the peace.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Rakthar posted:

Eastern lets you run 40% Infantry, 60% Cavalry. Western caps it at 50/50. It makes a difference if you actually want to run Cav heavy armies, you have more headroom for infantry losses before you start worrying about the combat penalty kicking in due to insufficient infantry. This works very nicely with the +33% cav combat ability that Commonwealth gets.

Western countries cannot make vassals out of Indian countries, so once you get past Afghanistan you either need to annex or Protectorate them if you're Western. If you're Eastern you can force vassal / integrate as normal while conquering.

Eastern countries get a -10% Western Arms Trade bonus, so the 20% tech penalty is really a 10% Tech Penalty. Whether you think 10% tech cost is worth being able to run more cav and make Indian vassals is up to you, but you have the choice.

Westernizing doesn't make you lose the eastern military tech units or cav proportion.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
My mercs. :negative:

I like the culture change update, that was a mechanic that was basically useless before and looks like it will be much better after the patch

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Don't ever pass Advancement of Religion. Ever. It's just awful. +1 RR is all kinds of bad and +1% Missionary Strength is not a worthwhile exchange. Maybe back when you'd need all the missionary strength you could get, it might have been worthwhile, but now, it is most assuredly not. It'll help you for the first 50 or so years of the game and then it'll suck for 400.

The irreconcilability of those decisions means that I almost never use them, and I doubt that I'm alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

TheFluff posted:

welp

You mean like some general "get a foot in the door in east asia" thing which makes them just want to grab anything/everything there?

e:

Right. I'll probably keep playing and see what happens, it's just not ironman without the potential for everything going horribly wrong. Still, I really do hope they fix that because it's kinda bullshitt-y.

I managed to dodge this in my Holland -> Netherlands run by taking a relatively poor province in India and just giving it to France. Once the mission was gone our relations went up high enough to renew the alliance for the rest of the game, and they never actually expanded into Asia in any meaningful way.

• Locked thread