Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think the biggest thing from El Dorado for non-Americans is the automated exploration. If that doesn't sound enough then yeah you can skip it. Oh and nation designer which I forgot cause I don't use it ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

OneTwentySix posted:

Maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end and the game is just fine and I'll get used to it; I'll have to play around with it some more and change up my strategies, but I just don't think it's a good idea to make war less rewarding when there's nothing to do in the game when you're not at war or planning your next war, and the changes to coring/annexing costs have done this. It might be more historical, but all I really care about is whether or not I'm having fun. I also like the idea that WC is possible, even if I don't do a WC (I enjoyed my one run when I did it, though). I can't imagine that you'd get very far on a WC as the game is now.

I'm running 1.11 "beta" right now because of this even though I bought the expansion. I play every game like I'm trying to conquer the world even though I inevitably won't and I've often run into times when I just couldn't afford to core things as non-western nations, so this change potentially sucks hard for my play style. I have some games to finish up anyway so I'll just wait and see what people think after a while playing on the new patch.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
My previous rule is to just save all the money. I'll eventually blow it on some stupidly costly campaign or sink it into advisors when there's no good cheap ones available or lose half my fleet or something like that. I figure having the money I need to take advantage of an opening or deal with a setback will create more value than a long-term cash investment since money on buildings can usually only earn you either more money you apparently didn't need or manpower you can replace with more merc use. With development in now I don't know if that's changed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Prop Wash posted:

No, the real key error they made was allowing the Teuts to survive to Cannon Times.

Also, learn from my dumb mistake: that shiny new Force Religion button works like a charm, but it does not guarantee by any means that your newly Catholic vassal will be able to convert their entirely Orthodox land.

I wish you could convert vassal land if they have the same state religion. Or loan a missionary with your missionary strength or something. I've spent more time than I'd like to admit scouring through country files to find the one that takes religious in this or that region.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Baronjutter posted:

How does it work though exactly, like anyone of my culture group? Any neighbour? Anyone at all? Who gets to vote? And are they spending their own legitimacy to do so?

They send a diplomat to boost their chances and anyone can do it. It costs them nothing but the diplomat's time and they get a % chance to boost their election points each month based on their diplomatic rep and relations with you. They get a bonus of monarch points and prestige if their candidate wins. I think the best strategy for the elective monarchy is to just let it happen and take whichever candidate wins.

EDIT: Nothing bad happens to you when another country's candidate wins btw, you just gain their dynasty for the duration of their rule and they otherwise act like a normal monarch. They tend to have worse stats, but beyond that there's no dire need to boost your own candidate.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 10, 2015

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Spaseman posted:

If I attack from a province with a river into one without a river, will there be a penalty for crossing the river?

It depends. Click on the province you want to attack and hover over the icon in the top-right that looks like a river and it will tell you which provinces have a river between them and the selected one. Like this:

If there is no icon then there are no crossings of rivers to adjacent provinces.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Spaseman posted:

So even though the battle will take place in a province without a river, if the icon says that a river flows between the provinces, I will always get a penalty for attacking?

Yep.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, I just took an old save from the game where I had rivaled France, edited out the rivalry, and loaded it back up. Immediately there. And I had met all the prior conditions as well. I know what the stated conditions for the mission are, but after 20 or so mission reloads, it just wasn't coming up. It's just odd.

Missions work on a priority system. You will never get a lower priority mission through rerolls. You can dig one deeper down the list by taking and cancelling a mission, but past that you have to either eliminate higher missions or trigger multipliers on the mission you want. I had to drop my rivals to get the Austrian mission to PU Hungary because the rival missions were blocking it, and I've often taken/not taken certain provinces as Ottomans to close off/open missions (don't take Alexandria if you don't want to conquer Tripolitana/Tunisia, etc).

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Vassalize_Scotland

At a guess I'd say it's probably the development one tripping you up, which will mean you need to hit them down a bit before it is available.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If I contest a personal union and win, that means I get the minor country as my own PU right? Does that give me any AE?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
drat, I can't afford that much AE. I'll just let mega Burgundy PU mega Spain then since I don't really need to mess with anything that far west.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You still be able to use the old patch if you really wanted to finish that game.

If they let you run 1.21 as a beta. Which they haven't.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

skasion posted:

Uh, yes they have. In fact I'm doing it right now.

Ah I see now. It was not in the order I expected.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Koramei posted:

To be honest given how utterly tedious that achievement was, I hope they never fix it.

Funnily enough this achievement was the one I was working on when the patch hit so this change is... convenient. I'm like 5 years in to a new game I started this patch and it's already looking like it'll be faster than just finishing my other run that's almost 1600.

Tahirovic posted:

Do these colonies work like normal ones in terms of +settler growth?

It doesn't appear to without timing it and running the number and whatnot. Looks like it only does a special version of the settler chance part of colonising.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

1488 on a First Come First Serve run.

So yeah, much easier now. I think I may even be able to keep all the colonisers completely out. Portugal is at 5 dip so they ain't gonna get to the colonial range extension at 7 any time soon, England is at 7 dip but still doesn't have an exploration idea of which they need 2 before they can even see America, France chose 2 non-exploration ideas and Castile chose religious and is way behind getting its 2nd group.

Started in a Caribbean trade node province in South America then picked every island province in range besides the 2 +trade provinces in the Caribbean. Then also picked enough provinces to join my capital to central america except for the 2 +trade provinces on the way. Avoiding +trade provinces because they're expensive in the nation builder. Then I just punched through central america and colonised everything I could. Oligarch republic with a 20 year old ruler with +0.5 republican tradition trait means the dude is still going. I have so many points I can strengthen government and just keep reelecting him. Funny thing how the siberian idea works is that you need to have an adjacent core province connected to your capital. Except, a conquered province counts as a core even if you haven't cored it yet, and the connected to your capital thing counts uncored colonies. So you can just leave gaps in your paths and connect them up with siberia colonies.

Pretty fun game in an abusing broken stuff kinda way.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 16, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
... I had not even noticed. :blush:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Got First Come First Serve in 1562. :getin:

And yeah I was able to keep the colonisers completely out of America.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah I went diplo focus all the way.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

oddium posted:

i did diplo focus but the deceptively rich mesoamerica and peru provinces + exploration first left me thirsty for admin. but you make so much money you can just run +2/3 advisors all the time

This is also true. I had to leave a lot of natives uneaten for a while because of lack of admin points to core everything I could take.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, i think I needed to reboot EU4 and/or Steam. When I tried this time I was able to start a nation and didn't get a free colonist. But it looks like I need at least one normal colonist to make it work? So I'll have to reboot my ideas setup. Not a big to-do.

Thanks!

No, you don't. Here's what it looks like:

You just click on an empty province next to a core with a line to your cap and then click on that dude in the circle in the top right of the colonise popup.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Fortunately, For Odin is actually pretty easy to do by itself cause you can just grab a bunch of land from England when making your nation so that they're a pushover in the actual game.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Every time I think I will play a game through til late I hit those higher level forts and the desire to play just evaporates. This game would be so much better later on if forts capped out at 2 or 3.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Arrhythmia posted:

The king of Hungary's hand hovers over the bill his parliament had given him. His eyesight's been failing lately, and he's not quite sure if it says "mo' money" or "no money".

I broke out into a laughing fit at the visual of a king being handed an important document of state that just says "mo money".

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't have nice screenshots for people to look at but my favourite game was an old Ottoman achievement run that included dismantling the HRE. I ended up having to go to the Americas to fight a former colony that somehow became Emperor. I remember the map looking like the Ottomans were a disease spreading out all over the place. Border gore everywhere and just about every nation would join a coalition against me if they weren't either constantly at war or in truce with me. I managed to drop the ball right near the end and got coalition declared by everyone that was anyone not in the HRE. Only just managed to dismantle the HRE before getting my poo poo pushed in.

My current run is a This is Persia run where I'm planning on forming Persia... as the Ottomans cause it's cheeky and I've already done the Taberestan->Persia one. Also uniting islam because the last time I did that there was no achievement for it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"How was shaving off all your hair ever going to protect against raids? What do you mean they won't come if you're already shaved? No, they're Barbary raiders, you idiot. That's it, I'm done with your stupidity, if anyone asks we are not the same dynasty."

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Futuresight posted:

My current run is a This is Persia run where I'm planning on forming Persia... as the Ottomans cause it's cheeky and I've already done the Taberestan->Persia one. Also uniting islam because the last time I did that there was no achievement for it.

Today I learned that Ottomans are excluded from most if not all decisions to form nations. Oh well, I united Islam at least. :banjo:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

aqu posted:

You just gotta form Romania or Croatia first to get around that.

Awesome tip. Just went Ottomans -> Croatia -> Greece -> Persia. The most historical game of EU4.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yep. Mandate is the first DLC I've deliberately disabled and left it that way.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It could have been the rolls. If you roll a 0 and they roll a 9 you can get screwed pretty hard. Especially if that causes new problems like combat width and cav %.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Koramei posted:

So what exactly should they be selling? Quality of life stuff, i.e. things you can still totally play without, seem like a perfect thing to sell to me. They do need to actually get money for their dev time, and they already take a ton of flack for the DLC being overpriced because they give so much stuff out for free. Stripping more out is just gonna make that worse.

There are a couple of cases where it gets murkier, like transferring subjects, but I don't think things like that should mean all quality of life stuff should be free.

I think diplomacy macros should be base because it's essentially an interface improvement (that I'm tired of not having with Mandate disabled) and being able to develop a province should be base because it's way too central and important a mechanic now. There are multiple mechanics that rely on increasing development to do things and development underpins the entire game to boot. Other DLC improvements are real nice and some I really would not want to play without, especially a lot of things in Art of War, but nothing feels as essential as developing provinces.

Anyway just completed a Prester John run where I... forgot that I was going for Prestor John and got carried away securing east indies trade and whatnot. I keep overestimating the Ottomans and leaving them for much longer than I need to in any game where I need to take them on. I just block off their expansion and then leave them for later and forget about them. This was a really fun game. Blocking off the Euros from coming past Cape and just gobbling up everything east of Africa for yourself is more fun than it ought to be. I'll have to make my next one a game where this is also a solid plan. Maybe the Ibadi achievement.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

It can be rough - the alliance systems in the Horn of Africa can escalate quickly and cause there to just be a few semi-powerful powers and if you dont have a friend of your own it can be slow going. Its also hard to project power early because armies are small, revolts are large, and transports cost money and eat up limited naval forcelimits. Kilwa also tends to be monolithic and never-not a power to contend with and thus can be bigger than a flegling country that rushes down that way from the Arabia area or across the Indian Ocean.

The Mutapa gold mines are just so hard to access and are off-culture and hardly developed; once I took the provinces of Kilwa and Kaffa, plus then I got a gold province in South Africa and developed that because I got the "Turn X into a city" which boosts its Production dev and gives a dev discount, I felt like I was good on gold. Since then I have had bigger fish to fry. edit: and had gold mines in India, Sumatra, and West Africa to take.

You just have to be quick to get down there. What I do is take just enough land to be able to fabricate on the next person down the coast of Africa.Usually that means a handful of land from Ajuuraan, then fabricate on Pate, then you're usually able to fabricate on Kilwa or an ally of theirs. Once you've beaten everybody once in a war they never really recover and once you're down there you get to feast on fetishists and Sunnis so you spread the AE nicely. It might be tough to do that and also make big inroads into India though.

I ended up going for No Trail of Tears and it has to be one of the most boring achievements in the game. You're so restricted on what you can do as a North American tribe for so long and you never really get to a fun size or get good allies so you can't really have much fun fighting the euros. Got it in the end because change that lets you war on colonial nations without the overlord if you're a new world nation makes grabbing land a breeze. Even lost an essential province to the Iberians in a war but just took it back from the colonial nation when the truce was over.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Doublepost:
Not the screenshot I wanted, but I did it:

I hit the wrong button when it popped on the side of my screen, was going to show a better picture of the world.

I never would have done it/tried it if I had not known about forming the Mughals.

Nice! Part of the reason I decided to wait on third way is cause it would make following your run a bit more interesting so its good to hear you got there. :cheers:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

BeAuMaN posted:

So... I was trying to figure out fort Zone of Control and movement, since I saw the AI making... interesting movements... and then I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3KqmV_9-bA

This is a dumb system. He's saying it's fine once you get used to it, but these are ugly rules that would frustrate new players. Also apparently I should have been keeping a transport ship with one guy with a leader assigned to it at the Red Sea so my army could crab walk through all of the forts.

There was also a system change that was happening at some point but they backed out of it?

Wow. I had written off the fort movement system as straight up buggy. I didn't realise they deliberately coded in stuff like the distance rule. "This would be frustrating if I didn't know this rule because it seems so random." No poo poo. The distance rule is a bad rule.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Don't be silly. Saving to disk every in-game day would be very inconvenient for people with slow HDDs. Which is why next patch is simply converting EU4 to an always-on client/server model.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
They should be fine as their land is very rich. If they're not colonising and you suspect it's because they're too small you could always subsidise them and they'll happily use the income from that to do it. This is also a great way to get your colonial nations to colonise.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
All those starting cores was the best reason to play Ottomans. The second best reason is all the mass claims missions you can get. Sometimes I start an Ottoman game and just rampage over everyone for a few decades and then stop when I have to slow down due to coalitions and truces. It's such a great action-packed start I really don't like the idea of the game losing that so hopefully it doesn't impact it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah the exile system can be pretty rough. It's even more fun when you exile ally armies by accident and then they stand there doing nothing while you continue fighting the main war target alone.

• Locked thread