Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Christ, how are you supposed to not fall into a spiral of debt and corruption as a non European power? I can't even run a positive balance as the Timurids with only a quarter of my force limit. If it wasn't for peace deals I'd be hosed.

The timurids suck intentionally. They are not representative of "not European powers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i keep seeing Hyundai as Hunyadi when i'm out driving

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

i keep seeing Hyundai as Hunyadi when i'm out driving
The struggle is real. I wish I could find a good book about the guy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Big question:

A group of friends and I are playing a megacampaign and we just got to EU4.

One player is playing as Rus and wants to form Russia but cannot because the converter was very narrow in its interpretation of nations.

Is there a way to switch his tag to Russia or otherwise add that decision to his tag?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Phi230 posted:

Big question:

A group of friends and I are playing a megacampaign and we just got to EU4.

One player is playing as Rus and wants to form Russia but cannot because the converter was very narrow in its interpretation of nations.

Is there a way to switch his tag to Russia or otherwise add that decision to his tag?

Yes. The easiest way is if he has not renamed his ck2 nation and you haven't started eu4 yet. You can mod the converter to map his current title to whatever you want.

If you have started, you'll need to update the country tags folder in your mod. Be sure to search all files to references to the old tag and replace them. The flag file is also named based on the tag. Then edit your save file and replace all mentions of the old tag with the new one.

Events are all based on tag, so changing his tag to one from the base game that doesn't exist in your mod should do it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaza42 posted:

Yes. The easiest way is if he has not renamed his ck2 nation and you haven't started eu4 yet. You can mod the converter to map his current title to whatever you want.

If you have started, you'll need to update the country tags folder in your mod. Be sure to search all files to references to the old tag and replace them. The flag file is also named based on the tag. Then edit your save file and replace all mentions of the old tag with the new one.

Events are all based on tag, so changing his tag to one from the base game that doesn't exist in your mod should do it.

So will everyone need to download the edited conversion mod?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It took a lot of tries but I've finally gotten a Gothic Invasion run going again. Currently in the first half of the 1500s. I ate most of Lithuania, allied Muscovy which is well on its way to become the Russia it wants to be. I can't get alliances with proper Europeans, and the devastation on my new Lithuanian clay is through the roof. I guess I'll have to chill for a while.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kaza42 posted:

Sounds like it would be far easier to just mod the 'Form Russian Nation' decision?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

Sounds like it would be far easier to just mod the 'Form Russian Nation' decision?

What would this entail vs. the original option

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Everyone using the mod would still need to download the new version, but you'd only have to edit one text file

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. I misread it at first that he wanted all the decisions and events for the nation in eu4 rather than just forming Russia. If that's all you want definitely just edit the decision

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sometimes I think to myself "Man, I'm kicking some rear end. I'm getting pretty good at this game". Then I find poo poo like this and say "nope, its not me that is good, it is just the AI that is bad":

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Check the timeline, there's a pretty good chance that was one of the only provinces of some minor at some point; they'll spend their points developing if there's nothing else they can do.

Not to say it doesn't still have issues, but as far as strategy game AI goes EU4's is pretty drat good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Check the timeline, there's a pretty good chance that was one of the only provinces of some minor at some point; they'll spend their points developing if there's nothing else they can do.

Not to say it doesn't still have issues, but as far as strategy game AI goes EU4's is pretty drat good.
Oh for sure, I wouldnt be trying a Third Way run if it wasnt (even with the Ming BS). Just trying to make a funny when there hasnt been much activity in the thread lately.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried only modding in the Form Russia Decision to Rus, its barebones, only effects are changing the government type to a Tsardom and name to Russia, no flag or color nothing. Won't do anything when I click it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaza42 posted:

Yes. I misread it at first that he wanted all the decisions and events for the nation in eu4 rather than just forming Russia. If that's all you want definitely just edit the decision

I deffo want to just transplant vanilla Russia into our Save. But the form Russia decision doesn't work.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaza42 posted:

The tag for Rus in our game is Z55. What do I change in country_tags and what do I change in countries?

Do I change Z55 = countries/z55.txt to z55 = countries/russia.txt? I copied over my Russia file from the vanilla game into the mod countries folder.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sometimes I think to myself "Man, I'm kicking some rear end. I'm getting pretty good at this game". Then I find poo poo like this and say "nope, its not me that is good, it is just the AI that is bad":

Swampopolis, home of the proud Bozo culture

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Following problems with the save:

1. Not a Tsardom. Needs to be a Tsardom. (its a grand principality) Fixed
2. 0 in all three techs - 0 adm, 0 dip, 0 mil levels. Fixed
3. No Russian ideas or Traditions. Fixed
4. Has no Institutions embracedFixed
5. Clicking on Economy Tab crashes the game - only while playing as russia, switching TAGs lets me click economy tab without issue. Only present in savegame. Need help!

Should I attach the save file and converted mod?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 29, 2017

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
From a few pages back, but the real problem with Natives and colonization in general is that there isn't a good way for EU4 to model any state that isn't a centralised European-style state, and that can't be fixed without altering the fundamental mechanics of the game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

why is the icon for ship durability a giant emerald. is it supposed to be "hard as diamond"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Look I get the AI doesn't want to go over it's relationship limit.

But I really shouldn't have a penalty for relations limit to get a Royal marriage when I've already got an alliance with them, that's just annoying.

e: 60 years later, the worlds most ineffective coalition war.

e2: Confused why Austria and Teutonic Order turned down the CTA, both are great friends, high trust and either could single-handedly win this war, with all 3 of us The Teutons could annex Lithuania, Austria could take gold or Venice and I'd take Syria. As it stands they've stabbed me in the back for no reason so I'm going to ally Bohemia and Denmark and kick them both in the dick.

uPen fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 30, 2017

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is it ever worth it to get involved in the Religious League Wars if you're not in the HRE?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Is it ever worth it to get involved in the Religious League Wars if you're not in the HRE?

If you have designs on expansion into the HRE or want to severely weaken the emperor so you can better dominate Central Europe, it's probably a good idea to help the Protestant League provided it isn't such a bad balance of power that you stand to lose. France, Ottos, and Commonwealth will all have a very vested interest in a weak emperor. If you a Scandinavian or maybe an Italian power, and are in a strong position at the time, it might be a good idea so that you can have a better shot at dominating trade nodes later (Scandinavia in particular wants Lübeck a lot, which is hard to get it theres a strong emperor watching out for it). If you're further away than that (Britain, Spain, Russia...) then it isn't usually worth it imo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Fowl posted:

You know, my problem with games in this region is that for some reason, I can never make my way around the horn of Africa and down to all that sweet gold as quickly as I feel like I should.
Something else I realized about this - Once I do get down there, I am awful at conquering Madagascar. Which is unfortunate, because in my Mughals game I was funneling so much trade to Zanzibar that in my two wars to annex Sakalava I robbed them of like 4k tradegold each time. It was a good "Note for future - conquer Madagascar immediately for extra $$$".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost:
Not the screenshot I wanted, but I did it:

I hit the wrong button when it popped on the side of my screen, was going to show a better picture of the world.

I never would have done it/tried it if I had not known about forming the Mughals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Congratulations, that one sounds like a pain to work out so it's a serious accomplishment

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

Congratulations, that one sounds like a pain to work out so it's a serious accomplishment

Thank you. It was a heck of a ride. I am glad I tried it and very happy with myself that I got it on my first try. I made quite a few minor mistakes along the way but thankfully nothing earth shattering. I only had to Truce Break twice and it looks like I didnt have to (though I was flush on admin points and Stability discounts).

I realized I was close to Unifying Islam so I decided to go for that since I had 15 years to screw around with. I was already at war with Ming when Third Way popped so I decided to see it through...

Um, are they that loaded with diplo points that they are buying down the WE from being 100% occupied for more than a year?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Technowolf posted:

In addition to what skasion said, you get +0.5 Army Tradition and -5% military tech cost for 100 years, just for having been part of any war at all. So if you're an easily defended nation like Britain or Scandinavia, you can and should join and just do nothing to pick up a sweet bonus.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Um, are they that loaded with diplo points that they are buying down the WE from being 100% occupied for more than a year?

Congrats on pulling it off. Third Way is a hard one to get.

In the screenshot the province has 17 unrest but the tooltip doesn't say how it got there. The tooltip also says it's a non-accepted culture, but Sichuanese is definitely a Chinese accepted culture. What I suspect is that the tooltip shows your unrest modifiers, instead of the Ming ones. You can also see WE in the war screen btw. Might want to check that out.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Tbh, though, Ming can just set every single tributary to DIP, and ride that shut for a long time.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Doublepost:
Not the screenshot I wanted, but I did it:

I hit the wrong button when it popped on the side of my screen, was going to show a better picture of the world.

I never would have done it/tried it if I had not known about forming the Mughals.

Nice! Part of the reason I decided to wait on third way is cause it would make following your run a bit more interesting so its good to hear you got there. :cheers:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Have some screenshots of my Gothic Invasion attempt:

End of the first session. Poland&Lithuania collapsed like is normal in the current patch, and I jumped in to grab some.

End of the second session. Grabbed some more Lithuanian and Polish land, got most of Crimea. My economy sucks and I'm currently taking a break from conquest(Hungary is the only easy target right now, anyway) to build up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Futuresight posted:

Nice! Part of the reason I decided to wait on third way is cause it would make following your run a bit more interesting so its good to hear you got there. :cheers:
Good luck when you give it a go. Hopefully Ming wont be so active in India in your run...

Two things to help your start out:
1.) If you Rival Hormuz you should get a mission to conquer their lone province. Take it and declare war on Dec 11 or whatever it is that is the earliest possible time to declare a war after gamestart is. The key is to vassalize Hormuz. You do this because they have cores in Haasa, who you otherwise cant get a CB on, and they tend to be isolated early; as soon as you wrap up vassalizing Hormuz, as long as they are loyal (I think they should be?), wardec Haasa and feed Hormuz their two provinces and take the other two Haasa provinces for yourself.

2.) Keep relations up with the Timurids - If you are feeling weak/vulnerable or you think the Timurids are going to hold it together for a while, become their tributary so they dont attack you. Once you see those Persian Separatists popping then stop paying your tribute fee. If you are feeling sassy you can, as their tributary, siege rebel controlled provinces of theirs to return provinces to their control. I did that to prevent Persia from popping out for a while, since I new Persia would be harder to placate.

Dance Officer posted:

Congrats on pulling it off. Third Way is a hard one to get.

In the screenshot the province has 17 unrest but the tooltip doesn't say how it got there. The tooltip also says it's a non-accepted culture, but Sichuanese is definitely a Chinese accepted culture. What I suspect is that the tooltip shows your unrest modifiers, instead of the Ming ones. You can also see WE in the war screen btw. Might want to check that out.
:cripes: I think I knew that but forgot, and now I feel like an idiot. I just got Third Way but forgot that looking at the unrest of an occupied province shows unrest numbers for you...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wow, Lion of the North is annoying. Start as Sweden, get swole, league war never fires game over

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Wow, Lion of the North is annoying. Start as Sweden, get swole, league war never fires game over

Doesn't the leadership of the Protestant League rotates? I have been able to start the League War as Sweden as well as Poland /PLC.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not totally sure what causes Protestant League leadership to change. I think it starts with the elector who was first to convert to Protestant, and will only change if that elector changes religion or declares a non-league war. But I'm not sure how it decides who to change to -- other Protestant electors in the order that they converted maybe? It doesn't seem to be well documented, other people think it has to do with prestige or development.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

In my experience the protestant league is normally lead by the strongest protestant HRE member. You definitely need to be protestant/reformed to be eligible for league leadership though.

Bohemia, Denmark/Sweden, England/GB and Brandenburg are typical early protestant converts, but I rarely if ever see anyone but Bohemia or Brandenburg lead the league.

It's definitely not about time since conversion, though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I see Great Britain end up as the Protestant League leader often. Meanwhile I've got more dev than them and a bigger army but apparently aren't worthy of the leading the league. I wish I understood the mechanics of how the game chooses a non-HRE nation as the head of the Protestant League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in this russia game i'm finishing up bosnia was the birthplace of protestantism. i don't think they lasted until the league wars though

• Locked thread