Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there some secret requirement for the mission to seize the French throne, or am I just exceedingly unlucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MG42 posted:

There's quite some requirements for the mission to trigger:
http://www.eu4wiki.com/English_missions#Force_union_on_France

Basically, you need to have a core in the French region, have more provinces and a bigger army than France and it needs to be before 1475.

Having a bigger army is not a requirement I would have expected. Huh. The more you know.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Average Bear posted:

Why is Ambrosian Republic good? Just wondering for my Milan game

The election turn around is really short, compared to most republics. This means you can upgrade your rulers by re-electing them all the faster. It costs you republican tradition, but you can get god-presidents pretty quickly.

Also your ruler gets called Captain-General and who wouldn't want to be a Captain-General?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hesse passed one reform really quickly, but has more recently been sitting on 100 authority without doing anything.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.

I'm quite proud of little Hesse being able to hold onto the throne so effectively in my game. The first Hessen emperor was only elected by 2 votes, but they've since had a stranglehold on the elections.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will a subject get their own center of reformation, if you demand they convert via the subject interactions tab? Assuming there aren't yet 3 centers for that religion.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is the Catholic League so popular all of a sudden? 80% of the HRE is protestant and reformed, but the only people willing to pony up the effort to fight for the Protestant League are a few free cities. The Catholic League, on the other hand, has basically every Catholic (and Orthodox) power in Europe and the Ottomans.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm colonizing the new world but I'm getting this treaty of Tostitos scoops giving me -20 to growth. Is there any warning to this or a way to see which regions are already claimed by which powers?

First Catholic state to form a CN in a given region claims it.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cantorsdust posted:

So I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, but I stumbled across something today. I kept trying to get the PU with France mission as England, and it just wasn't loving firing. I would even cancel other missions, use the console to clear the wait time, and recheck, and it was just never there after a bunch of tries. All that would fire were missions to increase my army/navy, discover America, and reclaim Armagnac or Poitou. As that was kind of my goal as England, to PU France, I restarted. Only thing I did differently was not choose France as my rival, and suddenly, there it was. I think somehow the rival status prevented me from getting the mission, which seems like unintended behavior, since obviously I would want to rival my biggest rival, France.

I got it after rivaling France, though it took a number of years (and a smaller war with France).

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got all three Reformed centers of, err, reformation within a province or two of each other, in the low counties. The Burgundian inheritance never fired, and instead Burgundy just fell apart, so the various dutch minors were just independent and feuding.

At first this meant the only place to get many Calvinists, outside of the states that held the centers themselves, was the Rhine (and to a small extent, France), but after a few decades Reformed was the most common faith in Germany. This is despite two of the Protestant centers being somewhat better situated for that (Ulm and a province in Denmark).

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've noticed a number of Protestant and Reformed states within the HRE have joined the Catholic League. I can understand other faith states outside the Empire joining the other league, just to gently caress with the emperor/the other league-leader or the like. But within the Empire? I am not sure if they understand that if their side wins, the emperor will soon be knocking on their doors to demand they convert.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

Can Austria elevate itself to a Kingdom? I would expect the King-level title for Austria to be Archduke, though I haven't even looked at the requirements for upgrading, and how attainable that might be for the AI.

If they inherit Bohemia (and thus its electorate), they can make themselves kings. (only electors can become kings within the empire) Otherwise they stay as dukes (albeit ones that get called archdukes).

Not that the AI ever does PU Bohemia, let alone inherit it.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VDay posted:

So I think I'm just about done with my starting/warmup Russia game, so in lieu of the usual "What's a fun country in <region>?" question I'll instead ask: what's a fun achievement to go for as a non-European country? Preferably one that'll take 200-250 years (as opposed to the really ridiculous challenge ones that'll take a whole game). I think the only ones I have are the uniting Japan and westernized Cherokee ones.

There is one to Form Malaya, which is fairly fun. Not a very long off goal, but it is a fun region to play in.

Ayutthaya also has an achievement now, for owning all of Indochina. Haven't gotten that yet, but it is the same region more or less, so another option.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just won the 30 years war for the Protestants, only for Bohemia to win the election. Normally this would be understandable, since Bohemia is a moderate Protestant power within the empire.

Except, it had been a member of the Catholic League. Losing a war to gain the imperial title is a bit strange.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
After ranking up GB to an Empire level title, I am disappointed that my monarch is not a King-Emperor. Way cooler than being a normal emperor.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuligin posted:

The last three reformations I've played through have been wet farts, is this just my bad luck or a change since CE dropped? In each game the centers spawned in Scandinavia and England and barely brushed the continent. Reformed still seems to be working as usual, however.

In my current game, Austria is the only catholic state (and indeed, only state to own catholic provinces at all) between Iberia and Poland. Which I count as successful.

Reformed was more successful than Protestant in Germany though.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
New to Common Sense. Eastern and Ottoman tech states can become Western for free by holding Danzig, Prague, or Vienna with no separatism.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mygna posted:

Hindustan is Shia and still doesn't contain a single actual Shia province,

Probably Bahmanis, who start shia and relatively powerful. And have no shia provinces.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bort Bortles posted:

My Conquistador died, but thankfully he trained up Estevancio before he did! I find it impressive that Estevancio met another boy named Estevancio. Especially because the Estevancio that just died had been taken in and trained up by an Estevancio!

Well clearly, Estevancio is a title, not a name

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you Westernize off of Trade Company provinces now? I've had a bunch of Indian states (and, amazingly, Ming) westernize this game, despite that, as far as I can tell, the other western provinces they border are my Company provinces.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how people in the thread keep doubting Wiz when he says Byzantium isn't in the top 10 of played countries.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what happens if you're over 1000 points in some category when you finish westernizing, and thus now have a cap of 999? Do you just lose those excess points, or are you simply capped at whatever you have, until you fall under 999?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
That being said, it is amazing to see your enemies bleed themselves on level 4 forts in the alps.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is Riga a kingdom-level theocracy, while its neighboring monastic orders are only duchy-leveled?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Mamlukes can tag-switch to either Egypt or Arabia. Egypt requires admin 20 or something instead of 10, in that it is a late game one. (Similar to Greece's requirements, if I recall?)

Also I saw Milan win the Burgundian inheritance once. When the royal marriage one triggers instead of the imperial one (generally due to a small emperor), you get some neat results. Bohemian Netherlands is also something I saw once.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ideas for Great Sapmi :allearss:. All is right in the world.

fakeedit: I hope for a Sapmi achievement.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Back in EU3, if you started in the Revolutionary France start, some islands in the carribean would inevitably become the great state of (Ancien Regime) France.

Not that anyone ever used later starts.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't think I've seen Bohemia get the Imperial title once in CS. It is always Hesse for me.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So will the new patch break saves? I'm guessing it will, but might as well confirm.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VDay posted:

I think Wiz said that it probably shouldn't, but all the usual caveats apply about unforeseen bugs and all the other fun stuff that comes with any major patch that changes a shitload of things.

Now that I think about it more, I am not sure why I was expecting it to. There aren't map changes, which is what really shatters saves. So that makes sense. Expect weirdness but they might still work. Thanks.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my most recent game, Austria and Hungary decided to partition Venice. With Hungary getting Venezia itself. It was weird. Also the Mamlukes got their Aegean islands for extra weirdness.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You would. Would be cool if it was possible to overwrite the game's usual rules when it came to cultural acceptance, through events and decisions, so that the PLC automatically accepted Poles and Lithuanians, Sweden/Scandinavia Finns, France Bretons*, and so on.

*Revolutionary France maybe not so much?

Breton was moved to the French culture group, so France auto-accepts them. :ssh:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yashichi posted:

How do you get elected emperor as the Protestant league leader? This is the third time I've won the drat league war with 200 relations, royal marriage, alliance with all the Protestant electors only to have them elect a loving opm. You should probably get a huge election bonus for leading the war since those fuckers forget you instantly and elect opms from the catholic league

At the very least, Catholic League members should be ineligible even if Protestant. Maybe you should have picked the right side :colbert:. It just seems wrong for a losing power to become the new emperor, even if the prince is of the right religion.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At least there should probably be a flag/modifier applied to any country on the losing side, which prevents prevents the country from becoming emperor, and which is only cleared when their ruler dies. Actually, maybe only when their heir dies too.

Oh yeah, I just meant for the immediate election after the war. Generations later it shouldn't matter.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guildencrantz posted:

I'll SHOW THEM ALL :unsmigghh:

Castile :psyduck:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seize some more from Brandenburg and make a Republic of Berlin.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just want unified Japan to still call its rulers Shoguns. As is once you lose the Shogunate government, by unifying the country, the ruler title transitions to Emperor.

It isn't like Tokugawa Ieyasu started calling himself Emperor.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure they are called Shoguns now when they are monarchies and of kingdom rank and above. Atleast that was the case in my last game with the beta patch.

Ah! Well then, that's a nice change to see. I thought I had recently seen it still transition to Emperor, but thinking on it that that was pre-beta.

I guess I can't complain, then.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

drat I wish I had have known you can't westernise off trade companies since I've inadvertantly westernised half of south east Asia and Africa in this Netherlands game.

While you can't westernize off of a trade company province you border, you can westernize off of a core of yours being owned by a western country, trade company or not. So if you conquer a province off of a less advanced country, it will become western if you don't later annex it.

GSD fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koesj posted:

I'm having a super weird bug where the emperor gets reelected every single day. Unfortunately I am not the emperor but a mere protestant contestant :(

The Holy Roman Emperor For A Day project received a lot more support than was expected.

• Locked thread