Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
From last thread -

Trujillo posted:

My Ceylon run was going good until the seperatist rebels I had been keeping a close eye on went from 70% to 140% in one month. I would've gotten a screenshot but it was during the monthly autosave, and when the first day ticked they rebelled and wiped my armies. I thought it could only go up by 10% a month at most

I think this happens when a rebel faction is building in a province and that province starts building support for a different faction that already has progress. The progress carries over and gets added to the already growing faction. I've never seen it jump to 100+ before probably because it would only be there for the tick of the month. I have seen a 20% and 60% merge into a single 80% group before. Were you converting one of the provinces and had that finish the prior month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Is El Dorado pretty skippable if I don't plan on playing in the Americas basically ever? Catching up on all the expansions I missed since the last time I played EU4 and I'd rather just wait until it's also ~$5 if it doesn't add anything super important outside of those areas.

Nation Designer was also an expansion feature along with some things for colonial expansion/exploration.

Full Notes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-1-10-full-patch-notes.837924/

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Yeah I checked out the notes, but with that stuff it's always kind of hard to tell how important/impactful a feature is if you haven't played for a while like I have which is why I was asking. Sounds like there's not much that I'll be missing from not having it though and just sticking to Europe and Asia.

Automated exploration makes exploring a little less gamey because you are only offered exploration areas your colonists might be able to reach. But you don't have to do anything other than click "Go search the waters of the Caribbean" and dude just goes and explores all those zones.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Trujillo posted:

That's probably what happened. Everything turned out alright though.

Might be the luckiest i've ever been in this game.

I closed my laptop and went to work as soon as I got stackwiped with all of my provinces hanging out with rebels on it. I did think the Madurain separatists would wander over to Viji which is pretty funny especially if one of the Madurain cores has a fort on it, the one that is sieged own already in their land?

Any reason you took the inland province instead of the CoT on the coast? I noticed the AE is pretty beefy up there but took it anyways and got coalitioned. Going to need to start improving relations if I want to try and grab all three.

Why did my boss schedule a 4-6PM meeting today...

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Been playing in India for a while now and it seems like the AI takes massive amounts of things in peace deals. If Bengal overruns Orissa they take half the coast, return some to Viji, and releases a nation next to Bahamanis. If Orissa wins they take 4-5 provinces off of Bengal. The game never looks the same after 20 years because some OPM managed to grab 5 territories off Gujurat and is one of the new big boys.

I think nations desire to be in wars was tweaked. If I smack around an ally of who I am at war with they want out fast. But if we are just wandering around each other taking territory they are happy to continue, same for my allies. A good change if I'm not imagining it.

Forts make playing a poor OPM really tough. I got one as Ceylon and ended up snagging 6 loans just to keep Viji from taking it back while I snagged what I needed. No more carpet sieging the big country down to keep more units from spawning. I also found out forts zone of control re-take capitals (because they don't really count as forts). Losing that war score sucked.

Coring costs do seem really high but I agree that a higher baseline to get rid of some of the variance is a better solution than reducing costs. I haven't reached westernization yet but I feel like the changes give a big incentive to take it. I am dreading the Europeans arriving.

Attrition is definitely up. Tropical is adding a lot to Indian conquest. If I try and piggyback on a Orissa stack to help siege anything down we are instantly eating 10% attrition.

Separatism when a rebel stack sieges a non-fort province is really lovely but managable.

I like the new changes and it definitely feels like a different, much harder, game. I want to do a WC even less now, and Rajput Reich and Gothic Invasion are probably out of reach now but I'll see how this Ceylon achievement goes.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Interesting native change:
Natives don't automatically damage empty colonies now (maybe only after a battle they win), they have to siege it down one cycle like an unfortified province. Which leads to a 500 stack of natives sitting on colony, unable to progress the siege. I only noticed this when I set army maintenance to 0 and lost a battle. Gave me infinite time to come back with an actual stack.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Trujillo posted:

A warning to anyone going for Buddhists Strike Back:

How did you westernize? I've got the whole west coast up to Afganistan now and just solidified the east by vassalizing the remains of a co-belligerent Bengal. Orissa turned on me after that so I'm friendless but huge. There is no way for the Europeans to sneak in now and I took Exploration first (mistake) but have been focusing on rich Pacific provinces instead of going around towards Europe. Even if they colonize next to me there won't they instantly turn it into a trading post and make me unable to colonize?

What idea groups did you take? I took Exploration->Economic->Religious and think I should have taken Diplomatic->Religious. I got overconfident in my converting ability early then took some actual non-poo poo provinces and got hammered by eastern cultures lovely revolt risk tolerance. I'm ok now that I have Religious but missing that extra diplomat is still painful. Where is my embassy?!

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Id like to see humiliate as a war goal avaliable on any nation but with the rewards scaling to bugger all from some tiny opm no threat ally to like now from your rivals (and maybe like france if your much smaller). Same cost.

There should also be a "gently caress you buddy" cb thats always available vs a rival. Make it double cost for everything like taking territory or releasing but 50 or 75% cost for humiliate and similar (forced access or forced transfer of trade).

Would love to see both of these. At a 60 forcelimit Ceylon I only have a possible rival in 160 forcelimit Ottomans but at 3 techs ahead I would totally get access across Persia to try and slap the poo poo out of them for a ton of PP while I sit around coring/annexing stuff.

The 100% warscore -> accept concede defeat bug is probably why I was seeing OPMs getting occupied then the war ending so often instead of being annexed.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Elman posted:

I'm at full manpower and can't declare proper wars cause I can't make any diplo points for peace deals cause my king is a 0 diplo and I'm losing 5 diplo points every month annexing my vassal :thumbsup:

Piss them off so they go above 50 liberty desire and it will pause annexation until they are happy again!

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyone done Baltic Crusader yet? I had one go, but scuttled it because I kept getting into fruitless wars where I wasted resources trying to figure out the new mechanics. My first instinct is to pal up wtih Austria and poo poo all over Pomerania before turning around and gobbling up the Livonian Order...thoughts?

I did this weekend. I allied Austria and Hungary to ward off the Poles and then look Livonians as my vassal first because I was paranoid they would develop and go above 100% war score. Got it on both tries even though they ally Lithuania. First time I quickly grabbed a Lith fort and peaced them out second they got stuffed into the union early.

I focused on Poland next because that alliance was my only real threat. I used Muscovy to help me feed Novgorod to Religious Idea taking Livonia which kept Russia small. I released Galicia from Poland and used them to convert the southern provinces.

I took the occasional province from Pomm and Brandenburg early just to humiliate them but ignored the HRE after that other than adding my land to it to help get the first four reforms passed.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Sheep posted:

Whoever originally suggested Frankfurt as spot on, playing as a hyper-aggressive OPM the entire game is incredibly fun, and since you can't blob you also don't reach that inevitable tipping point where the game is over but you've still got 300 years left to play. Would highly recommend if you've not tried a free city game yet.

So the benefit to being a free city is a tax boost and a call to arms to the Emperor no matter who attacks you? I might try this out and see how many cool marches I can have without getting turned on by my vassals. In my Teuton game I got Danzig to 60 for the achievement around 1600 I feel like I'm going to hit the theoretical max quickly. Any tips?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

That's another reason I hope Power Projection gets a reworking. I'm a 2,000 development, 300 province Russia and I can have a grand total of 1 military leader because my PP is at 14 because my only two rivals are France and the Ottomans. I could take the Ottomans, but it'd be a ridiculously long, drawn out war and to actually get any meaningful amount of PP I'd have to humiliate them, meaning I'd end up with enough war score to take a handful of provinces for all my efforts.

Build some light ships and set them to privateer and you should be able to grab more PP if you can launch from the Black Sea. I find my problem is getting a valid rival at all once I'm that size.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Donald Duck posted:

The Karma system for Budhists seems pointless at the moment. There are so few ways to get positive Karma that it ends up just being a 10% discipline penalty to you for the game.

I stayed close to the middle for most of my Ceylon achievement, finishing around 1700. The key is returning cores, which still gives positive karma when you return cores to your vassals. So I vassalized OPM Vigi and fed them all of their cores back from Bahamanis. Did the same with Gujurat/Bengal/Delhi as they were absorbed or OPMed when I got close to them. It costs dip, but the cost is development based and seems to be way lower this patch.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

So I started up as Frankfurt with the idea of staying an OPM the whole time and I think I hosed up. First war I took Cleves and Hesse as vassals and fed them a few provinces over the next few wars. Then I went ahead and fed them Nassau/Mainz now I've got two very happy vassals who don't want to forge claims on anyone while I sit here without a CB. I think I'm going to restart and not vassalize anyone adjacent to me, only using them to start wars every 15 years for humiliation and only taking land from their allies. Waiting for the Imperialism CB for 200 years doesn't sound like much fun. Shame I have to restart, my initial 33 year old 6/3/3 ruled until he was 73 and I finally elected someone else and I'm about to hit 50 development before 1500.

I don't think there is any reason to build anything but base tax when playing like this. Production in Frankfurt is wheat and Manpower doesn't look like it increases force limit. I'd probably get more from buying only mercs and ignoring manpower. Thoughts?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Some day I'll actually watch DDRJake's Ryuku campaign and maybe learn some things (I know he at least abused the double-dip relations trick that's not possible anymore). Then again it's like dozens of hours worth of footage, the beginning of which is just doing diplomatic stuff and trying to stay alive.

His main combo on the last one was using the first half of the Humanist tree to get +Religious Unity then flipping back and forth between 99.9999% and 100% by starting a colony (patched to no longer work). Then he would complete Achieve Religious Unity and then do Accumulate Money / Recover Manpower to recycle and get 25 adm/dip every few days. He did years of that off camera to keep enough power to core and stay ahead in tech. By the time he was flipping unity with a huge empire with the colony having a negligible effect the viewers built him a spreadsheet to make sure his calculation was correct. The early years are actually the best ones to watch as its actually combat. Later it was him with 50 vassals and negative dip streamrolling countries with the Deus Vult CB and taking provinces at no cost.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

OPM Frankfurt Pro-Tip: Don't use Cologne/Trier as your initial vassals. Austria will smack you around to release them and end your run.

THE BAR posted:

A million beheaded heretics, heathens and disgruntled peasants later, the Teutonic Order can finally declare Pax Teutonicus! The Ottoman hordes are still at large, always boasting a hundred thousand warriors whenever we did battle for the scraps of a monstrously huge Crimea, who spanned from Kiev to Sibir. As the Ottomans grow fatter on the ripe fields to the South, we feel implored to fully establish the bulwark against these legions of injustice as was our duty of old..

My "end boss" for my Teutonic Order game was fighting the Ottomans for fun. I realized I could take Jerusalem/Nabulus/Gaza, convert them, and release the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Some screenshots and notes from my successful Frankfurt run. This has been really fun to play well into the 1700s.

The 1400s were spent snatching up and expanding my vassals, getting Cleves and Munster first. I kept Mainz around to declare war on for a long time, they even flourished and expanded all the way out to Lorraine before I decided to let Cleves and Wurzburg eat them and France took the remaining bits. A small Burgundian inheritance fired and gave provinces to Milan.

I picked up Munster and Wurzberg right in time for the reformation to pop in Ravensburg. Baden and I picked up the other two centers, flipping a lot of the HRE. Super-France and Super-Pope joined the Catholic League which made me think we weren't going to be able to get Protestantism as the faith but I caught France out when he couldn't join the war and we crushed it. Grabbed the "Bleed them Dry" achievement pretty easily.

I then decided I wanted to unify the HRE in the one true faith, and get all of the remaining HRE provinces back from Poland/Pope/France.

Religion was easy as soon as I got the Imperialism CB. France willingly flipped in the middle of me convincing everyone in the HRE.

France was a tough nut to crack, I had to ally him and drag him into a war with Best Friend Spain by attacking a Spanish Ally and burn his army down to about 90K while helping me take it. I gave a few Spanish Provinces to France as a "gift" so he would never be friends with Spain again.

The day after that war I canceled that alliance, allied his rivals the Pope and Ottomans and declared on France. It took three wars, the last one because I took Lothringen instead of Liege on accident at the end of the second. I should have really checked technologies as France went to Mil 26 and got god-tier infantry in the few days it took me to declare war on his ally OPM Brunswick. He absolutely crushed me in the last war but holding Brunswick let me get to exactly 10 warscore to take Liege via the peace with Brunswick.

My only shame is vassalizing Bavaria without realizing that Bohemia made them an elector right before or during the war. We don't even have the first HRE reform passed (Development Cost!) because of that.

100 Development Frankfurt and its 500 Development of Vassals:

Growth is limited by how happy my vassals are, my money, and manpower to a point. I have three +1 Dip Rep Policies, the advisor, and Diplomatic/Influence and making 90 Development Aachen is making me push over 50% desire at times. In total my vassals have about 100 units to my 60.

I can't field my force limit without running a deficit so I war random HRE provinces for money and war reparations frequently. Administrative would save me 6 ducats but I would still be negative at full maintenance.

The base 10,000 manpower doesn't seem to be affected by policies and ideas. So my one 15 manpower province still has me below 20K max manpower. My 20 stack of cannons melts that down pretty fast so I'm usually unable to reinforce them by the end of wars. All my infantry are mercs.

I'm terrified of having one of my vassals go above 100 development and getting more liberty desire, so I have 7 vassals between 70-90 development. They are a beast when they aren't sitting at home complaining about their overlord.

Current State and Ideas:

Don't you feel dumb for leaving the HRE now Italian Minors? You could be cool and Protestant getting beaten up by me every few years for your lunch money.

I don't really know what to do for the last 80 years. I'm limited by not being able to take land. I could just keep vassalizing HRE nations, watching liberty desire rise.

Maybe I'll just dismantle the HRE... But then I lose my Free City status...

I think this would make a good achievement. Have your vassals/marches outnumber your provinces 40 to 1 but still be loyal.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Update from first attempt at Kongo game: Benin's fort being level 3 is some bullshit :colbert:

Are you going to westernize off a South America colony? I tried a Kongo game right after Trade Companies and got annoyed when I found out I busted my game by not getting into position by going there and quit.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Like I said though I'm not too familiar with the region so I'm not super sure about the colonization timing and if I'll have time to do any of that or if I'm just going to hit tech 5 and then have to immediately bee-line for Brazil because the Europeans are already taking up most of the colonies.

Yeah I am in the same boat and always hate when I'm trying to reach something then realize I was off 10 on my range and now have to wait for more tech to reach something. I figure warring and taking Portugese cores so you share probably isn't realistic.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How is this even possible with the changes they made?

Influence and Admin as your first two idea groups helped integrate fed LO / Galacia-Volhynia vassals while still chomping up land for myself. I was done in 1650. I even capped monarch points enough times to get Danzig to 60 development for the achievement. Western Tech has no issues expanding and maintaining tech unless you are going for a WC.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

This game does not want me to get the Kongo achievement.

I vassalized Benin and took a province. Catholics came and converted it for me and I started converting the rest. Got a 100 Tradition General event. I got all of Benin's neighboring territories including beating Mali up while they had a Peasant War and was about to start integrating Benin...

Then I noticed Ironman wasn't on.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

It seems like fort logic busts them sometimes too. Taking a fort in the area will usually jump start my allies if they were being dumb.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

The AI being willing to march into native territory is a key part to most of my Kongo starts if Benin has a standing army. My last few tries had Benin not getting themselves involved in any war which makes invading them pretty tough.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

drat the EU4 thread moves fast...

Elman posted:

Does this seem doable at all?

I think you are probably too far behind. I think I've finally hit a good stride in a Kongo game westernizing in 1543 and I have most of the same west african lands you do minus part of Mossi/Songhai's area. I think getting Westernized is the big thing and focused on not taking any land I didn't have to. Other than integrating a small Benin and taking the minors to the south of Mali/Mossi I made sure to take nothing and be super conservative with ADM/DIP. Hitting Admin 5, getting the +Settler Exploration idea, snagging the Cape, and then hitting Dip 7 were priority.

Question about Reforming/Westernizing as Kongo... I saw the "Reform your Government" greyed out decision occasionally while playing and figured I might have to do that before Westernizing. But right before my colony completed a 3/5/3 Pretender popped up which got rid of my poo poo heir... and flipped me to Despotic Monarchy. Did I just hit the jackpot of not having to complete Administrative and lost 5 stability or would have I been able to westernize regardless?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Traxis posted:

Just tested in one of my non-ironman games. I was allied to Poland, who is allied to Serbia, who is allied to Genoa. Declaring on Serbia directly, Poland was obviously unwilling to join. I declared on Genoa and selected Serbia as a co-belligerent and Poland did join on my side.

Yeah I've noticed that your allies will get called in before the co-belligerent allies will but am usually too much of a baby to depend on it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Back To 99 posted:

Is it advicable to fabricate claims multiple times for the reduced coring cost?

If possible, but I don't worry about it since it dropped to 10% cost reduction so its only saving a few admin.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Anyone noticed whether 1.12 saves are compatible with 1.13 yet?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Apoffys posted:

I've noticed one weird thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or new. Three times now I've had my clearly superior fleet blockading a port holding the enemy fleet, and as soon as I give my fleet the order to move away (thus breaking the blockade), the enemy fleet pounces on me. They get quickly crushed, so I have no idea what their motivation for attacking my fleet was, especially since they were content to hide in port up to the moment it looked as if I was moving my fleet away.

I noticed this too in 1.12. While funneling troops over to Benin as Kongo I would wipe their trade fleet and every time I would head back home to grab my second batch they would suicide cog my stack as it moved away. It was actually a good tactical decision for them sometimes to further delay me getting the rest of my troops over which gave them time to kill my first stack. Probably not WAD though.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I wish I could get Austria to join me and France in taking back Egypt for the Kongo but they are friendly with Spain and Portugal this will never work out"

*Would you like to challenge Spain for a Personal Union over Austria?*

Oh yeah sure I guess this is "the run" then.

So I accepted the challenge with no way to get units to Europe and France with a truce with Spain. I hang out and 2 years later he joins. I built 2 cogs and pushed 50 units to Europe 2 at a time. Took over all of Spain and then worked my way to Wein. France was a total bro, staying in the war till the end, 17 years. Then stealth capping London for me when I attacked GB for their last Africa holdings a few months later.

Just hit 1700 and finished my first Ottoman war. 2 more should clean that up, then one more against Portugal!

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Kongo done!

Boo Austria for being at 10-15% integration chance for 50 years and not integrating. I even made a road to you through the Ottomans.

ivan noooooooo wat r u doing

I hit the achievement in 1750 and just sat on speed 5 and helped a giant Brazil escape Spain, crushed the Ottoman Revolution, and wished stupid Austria would integrate into Africa. I actually got giant France to give me 15% trade power. Oh and I was Emperor of the most dysfunctional HRE.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Sheep posted:

Can someone post the official Kongo strategy? I gave it a run and got steamrolled pretty on, but then I am a bad EU4 player.

https://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake

He just started as Loango and other than having to annex Kongo first it looks mostly the same. He is in 1.13 which has a bug where natives deal no damage, so walking to Benin is pretty easy. He was also able to Fabricate a Trade Dispute on Benin which is way better than no CB.

A few differences as Kongo:
Take only Benin's capital and vassalize them to save Admin points coring them.
Go Catholic when Portugal comes (not available as Loango)
Don't waste ADM/DIP as Exploration + Dip 7 is required to get to Brazil and westernize and doing this early is required

Edit: Run ends after he explains how important keeping relations up with the animists then proceeds to annex a bunch of things and gets coalitioned.

Arzakon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 5, 2015

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Elman posted:

I'm watching one of Arumba's campaigns and he keeps consolidating weakened troops before sending them into fights cause apparently that makes them stronger. How does that work?

Each unit takes up a square on the combat width board, so if you are chasing a stack down its much better to have a smaller row of full strength 1k units on the front line instead of 500 in the front with some others waiting in reserve. You have to pay attention not to have so few units you get flanked heavily but otherwise it's a good idea. You can shift-click the merge button so you will keep all of the 0 strength regiments around so they reinforce.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Trundel posted:

Running a Brunei game and was quick enough to get a colony next to a Portugal core on Sierra Leone. Karou just became a full province but the Westernization button is greyed out. Is the wiki right that the sum of my tech has to be 7 or less than the sum of their tech in order to Westernize?

You can't westernize off anything they put into a trade company. So Africa/Asia is useless and you have to either colonize next to them in America or Australia or take one of their provinces (anywhere) and core it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Gitro posted:

Question about the Treaty of Tordesillas - does it only work for European catholics? Just jumped ship from Tyrone to Canada and I'm not going to stay catholic if I don't get me some sweet papal colony boosts. My relations are at 65 so I know it's not that.

I don't know about bonuses (didn't realize there was one) but in my Kongo game it designated me as the rightful claimant of Caribbean and La Plata on the territory screen for those regions.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Gitro posted:

I did a quick experiment and yeah, only for colonial nations. Protestants can get +15 settler growth anyway, so gently caress the pope.

Oh yeah I remember only seeing it after the colonial nations formed which won't work for your escape plan.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

Tabarestan This is Persia progress update: formed Persia and got the Shahanshah achievement while taking like 90% of the Timurids and QaraQ's lands :toot:

How did you get to three provinces? I started up a Taberestan game on a whim a few weeks ago and just remember getting declared on by QQ 1 year in.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

My Tabarestan start is going pretty well...

I didn't get to ally anyone off the bat, but the Timurids ended up in a bad place and I got 3 whole provinces out of them with 40% warscore. They built their army back up and were about to crush me so I had to peace out. Luckily I took long enough that the Persian Separatists that were running around started flipping provinces to my released Persia. I don't quite understand why Persia gets a huge +Liberty Desire penalty every time a province flips to them from Timurids as "Events and Liberated Provinces". They were pegged at 100% for the longest time and are just now under. I kept truces going with my neighbors so they havent had anyone support their independence but its annoying having them not help in wars when they would be at <10% without that modifier.

Oh and this is going to make getting Egypt/Anatolia/Greece somewhat more interesting...

QQ got in a dumb war with the Ottomans early and that left them weak enough for the Mamluks to take advantage. I got Mamluks as an ally a little while ago and we just beat off a Castile/Naples/Austria holy war. Bohemia got the Burgundian Inheritance. AQ revolted against overlord QQ and took most of their land.

Oh and I took quantity first because I got a replacement 6MIL heir off the bat and I couldn't stand being behind in Admin/Dip while dealing with Persia revolting. And because its the best. About to complete the tree and have a 40+ Force Limit.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Sacrilicious posted:

their rebels were generally a bigger problem for me than they were.

I had to quickly sneak in a support for rebels a few times as they marched on my one province after I released Persia as a vassal. It was something like 14 ducats a month but I didn't have to keep it long and it was better than losing my one province. No idea what would have happened if they enforced on me... Would I get annexed?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

I've said it before but I kind of hope AE gets at least a slight reworking. It seems way, way too easy to pile up an AE penalty in the hundreds against nations that you've never even been at war with, especially in the lategame when you get Imperialism and everyone's provinces are really developed.

I just got hit in the face with AE in my Tab game too, its definitely higher this patch. Mamluks had all of Anatolia but Greece is Albania, Epirus, Wallachia, Venice, and The Knights. I'll post ugly_borders.jpg later. My new Ottoman vassal still has Constantinople but only one other province. Even returning Morea and Athens to the Ottomans gives enough AE to get Lithuania, Poland, Castile, Aragon and Austria wanting to coalition me. And I still have a pile of AE in the east from eating my way to India. I should be done with the Mamluks for the rest of Egypt and Anatolia well before 1700. I might just have to take all of Greece in one set of wars and core it before the coalition tries to smack me.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

VDay posted:

So I think I'm going to go for A Sun God (own all of South America as Inca) next since I haven't played in the Americas in absolutely forever. Any general advice/tips/things to absolutely do/avoid doing? I've been reading up on the wiki about how the authority and religious reforms system works and think I get it, but would love to know if there's anything non-obvious about either system that I should keep an eye out for.

I did this in 1.11 and you want to gobble up everyone else as quickly as possible to push up authority so you can reform/westernize as soon as you get a core next to someone. The safe but slow route is to use the reform colonist to move up through to Columbia and try and meet GB or France but sometimes they don't get there till really late. Or you can go towards Brazil but if Castile and Portugal don't have anything better to do you will get attacked before your colony completes and then you have a problem of playing catch up as they repeatedly war you and take land.

Don't colonize coastal provinces until westernized and caught up with Military Tech. Double Don't colonize the La Plata CoT/Estuaries or you will get declared on even if they haven't started colonizing the area.

And watch your manpower all that warring plus the rebels created by reforming ruined one of my runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Finished Persia in 1683. Using Syria and Ottomans as a blocker for Africa/Europe was really awesome for coring Greece/Egypt for practically free. That made up for the game killing off 4/4/6, 3/6/4, and 6/6/4 heirs before they ever reached the throne and a 15 year regency in the middle.

Europe took advantage of the Mamluks destroying the Ottomans and made Greece into this disaster.

One cool thing was when Shiabro Bahamanis decided to get the one province Portugal managed to get from them back. I joined in and beat up Milan and Tuscany for fun while Bahamanis did this:

You can make it

You did it!

Wait why is your warscore so low this war has been going on for years?

gently caress.

They marched all the way to Lisbon but couldn't figure out how to siege a fort while Portugal sailed around unnoticed and grabbed the wargoal and white peaced. I made them return Goa a few years later while dismantling the Knights though so it all worked out.

• Locked thread