Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
New patch rules, only complaint so far is you can't threaten for your vassals' claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Edit: doublepost because the db server is choking today apparently.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It'd be pretty swank if there was a possibility of replacing whatever exists in Liqian with an Italian (or Greek) state of lost soldiers.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 2, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It looks like you don't own Sumatra or enough of the Malay Peninsula (which realistically extends a lot farther up, not sure how far in EU4 terms though) so neither of the three conditions are met.

Edit: Palawan! You're missing Palawan.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 2, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
When supporting rebels in a country, what does the percentage next to the flag represent? I'm supporting Styrian rebels in Austria (who have revolted) and it says +40% but there's no tooltip.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Another Person posted:

I think it might be the case that only one nation can take Western Focus now? In the dev game Groogy took the decision as Russia and westernised, so it is definitely possible.

Ottoman version of the decision is Prague or Vienna, Russian is Danzig or Krakow. It's not universal and which is available to you is probably based on your technology group.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I am digging the new version. Just started what I was hoping would be a feelgood game as France and already got my poo poo pushed in by Burgundy twice. Nice change of pace from stomping everyone in sight the last few expansions.

My only big complaint is that nations like Spain are retarded and will march all the way from Morocco around the Levant, through Greece and Italy, and finally back into Spain instead of just ferrying their dudes across with boats when peace is concluded. It's way too easy to catch them after peacing out in the maghreb and spend six months with zero worries carpet sieging them before they manage to march their way back into Iberia (and right into your stacks that are conveniently waiting in the mountainous border provinces).

Edit: Also this just happened. Not totally sure whether I am proud or disgusted with myself. Maybe a bit of both.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

So... uh... which way is China?

Yeah, trade node/routes in the new random new world are pretty wonky but it's a small price to pay for the improvements that have been made.

I have one trade node in my RNW that, as far as I can tell, doesn't actually have any COT/trade estuary provinces, which is the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

popewiles posted:

Maybe they're giving the provinces to the Dhimmi (?) Estate.

To expand upon this, one of their three estates (which they lose upon westernizing! so be forewarned if playing them) is called the Dhimmi, which boosts non-Muslim tax income but prevents conversion, so by definition they need to keep a fair bit of their territory unconverted.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

az posted:

Could you elaborate on that?

You need to have more infantry than cavalry or you take some pretty heavily penalties. Lots of people do 8/4 or 10/4 or whatever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Base MTTH on that event is 120 months.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Can someone post a Kazani hording for idiots guide? I have no idea what the new horde mechanics are and Muscovy keeps kicking my poo poo in on day one.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah the only thing holding Hordes back is income so all gold mines should be bumped up to 10 production ASAP and lowered to minimum autonomy asap.

Is it at 10 or 11 where gold mines can get depleted? I thought it was 10.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys I fancy doing my first run in the HRE and I guess it would be best to start off as Austria since they're already emperor and pretty awesome in their own right.

What should I be doing? Is there a guide on how to HRE for dummies somewhere?

Pro tip, make sure your emperors die as often as possible - if you're the emperor, you die, and your heir becomes emperor, you get like +10% imperial authority. Helps a lot if you're trying to pass reforms.

Other than that basically wreck poo poo in the HRE, pass reforms, form HRE nation, quit in disgust as game becomes a cakewalk. If you want a bit of challenge try keeping the Shadow Kingdom from firing (this requires you take Rome, among other things, before like 1494 or something). Some people go for marrying Bohemia and Hungary on day one to try and get Habsburgs on the thrones, but you'll eventually get missions to force vassalize them anyways so it's kind of pointless in my opinion. Up to you.

Influence and diplomatic ideas are helpful since you'll need to burn AE in order to keep getting elected if you plan to expand within the empire a lot.

Kicking Aragon's poo poo in over and over to keep their prestige down and prevent them/Castile from inheriting Naples if the Iberian Wedding fires off (and Castile doesn't screw the event choice) can help if you're planning to mess about in Italy.

Edit: HRE voting guide for dummies: keep AE down, relations up, ally 3 electors (Brandenburg, Liege?, Palatinate are good choices). Don't vassalize electors unless you're going all the way by vassalizing four or more. Also probably not worth adding any territory you take to the empire until the end stages (renovatio imperii) or you're trying to pass a reform right before the reformation fires off.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

- Heirs of own country in Elective Monarchy no longer have weak legitimacy.
Finally, Poland is no longer unnecessarily hamstrung for no apparent reason!

edit:

quote:

- Negative prestige no longer breaks Personal Unions.
Wiz giveth and Wiz taketh away... :(

Overall patch notes look really good though.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-1-15-full-patchnotes.904204/

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 26, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Node posted:

gently caress that, EU4 should. I believe in you Johan.

Considering CK2's map was a side project of one of the devs, as I recall, this shouldn't be a problem.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I've played maybe a dozen Austria games in the past week and not once has the Burgundian thing fired.

Then I play a game as Navarra for shits and Giggles and it fires for AI Austria in the second year.

It definitely fires a lot less now with the new Burgundy since it requires that Burgundy make Charles into a general and then get him killed, but since they have like 4 unions going it's much more likely that one of their partners makes him into a general and then welp gently caress you no inheritance.

I like the new Burgundy but that whole bit just seems poorly thought out.

vvv Oh well in that case :v:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 6, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gort posted:

No discussion of colonisation is complete without me wishing I could mothball my armies. It's so stupid (not to mention expensive) having to keep the entire British Army on high alert in London because a detachment of 3000 men in North America might get attacked by natives.

I totally support this. Considering standing armies weren't even a thing in most places for quite a bit of this period, it seems silly for us to have to keep armies mobilized (and at max force limits, lest the AI think we're weak) for 500 years with no respite.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

My Ethiopia game is getting stagnant...

Spain and France rival'd me. I have yet to fight the Ottomans, who are allied with Muscovy, Tunis, and Pasai. India and China are hugfests. I am fully Westernized and funneling a ton of trade to Zanzibar. With Economic and all the trade income I have all these gold mines and negative inflation.

I dont see anywhere I can go other than Persia and Songhai, who is allied to the rest of the West African minors. Baluchistan is my vassal and I am thinking of feeding them some of Persia so I dont have to pay to core it because I am way behind on Admin tech and am almost to the efficiency bonuses.

I'm doing an Ethiopia run right now as well. Definitely going to just let Ottoman have their bits of Egypt next time, it's definitely not worth the trouble trying to both grab them before the Ottomans and not get utterly murderized in the process.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ally Poland and Hungary (if they aren't rivaled) and either wait for the ottos to attack or build up enough favors to call them in.

This didn't work in my run solely because of the distances involved. It was a stretch to be able to hit positive modifiers with Naples and Spain (inherited Aragon) while holding the upper Nile, much less something as far as out as Poland. Hungary though is just barely doable, though in my game they never expanded past their starting borders.

I might have gotten unlucky with the rivaling situation as well. Either way Ottomans and France were allied for 200 years so that particular game was a special kind of painful.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Upper Nile is the southern part; Lower Nile is the part near the Alexandrian coast. Ottomans never really go for the Upper Nile whereas they get a mission to take the Lower Nile.

Edit: here's a good explanation of river stages.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 16, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Woops I thought this was still Ethiopia chat, nevermind.

Edit: Ethiopia chat time - any strategies for changing from Coptic? -2% local missionary chance blows.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 16, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bishop Rodan posted:

I think I'm going to try an Ethiopia run next. Is it better to take Religious or Exploration first?

I've been going Quality because I expand too fast to ever have the spare admin points for Religious but I think that were I to start over (with the new Africa patch) Religious would be the first one because you basically have to have that +3% conversion chance or you will never, ever finish converting all of these provinces.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Just bought Mare Nostrum on Paradoxplaza.

Or at least, I thought I did. Charge went through, but never got the e-mail and game isn't showing up in my account.

:sigh:

Exact same thing happened to me. Figured I'd kick Paradox the extra by cutting Steam out of the deal. Never got a confirmation email or the email with the key, which makes filling out the webshop technical support form difficult since Order ID is a required field.

Learned my lesson, I'll tell you that much.

Edit: got a reply from support, apparently Paradox's payment processor takes up to an hour for payments to confirm. In the mean time you sit and spin.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 5, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
There's no way to change the tag of an extant country without using a mod, is there? Like, say, switch GBR back to ENG mid-game?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'd be so pissed if they didn't release a hotfix to fix the mil4 bug before dropping a patch that did something phenomenally retarded like locking fabricate claim behind anything other than tech level 1.

Also the UI/graphics people who okayed the glaring red bits of the corruption icon and didn't notice how much that clashes with the entire rest of the UI are not doing their jobs properly.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

OperaMouse posted:

Ability to set some manual popup for a certain future date would also be awesome.

"Truce between Ottomans and PLC is up."

"Start integrating other vassal today to make sure both integrations don't get the diplo rep penalty."

Don't give them more ideas on how to take my money, please.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
1.18 AE changes reverted in latest hotfix, rejoice.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone figured out protectorates now? It seems like they randomly achieve tech parity I'd guess you call it pretty quickly and break out from under you without any popup/notification. The weird part is that they'll then sit there as a recent breakaway tech-equal nation for a few months and then the protectorate button randomly pops up again. I can't really figure out any rhyme or reason to it.

Anyways it worked super well for seizing all of the territory of Fezzan/Djab/etc. as the Ottomans pre-1500 since once they achieve parity they lose all the malus modifiers from before.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

And I want a version of the game that doesn't cost $250.56 to buy all the DLC (at least on Steam at this moment).

I felt genuinely bad the other day, had a friend who was seriously pumped once I explained EU4 to him but then when we priced out buying the game plus all of the expansions it was over $150 and $135 of that was just major expansions, no extra content like unit packs or anything.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Started a new game on the new patch.

Didn't realize that Steam hadn't activated Mandate of Heaven for me until I was 2 hours in.

Thanks gabe you fucker.

Edit: lol "achievements can't be earned now" because I started the game without the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Ages are there (you get the little ... pull downs? and the "Age of whatever" bar up top) but I figured it was just a dumb Paradox UI thing that I couldn't get the big Ages window to open up.

• Locked thread