Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
England's probably the easiest I've seen it be. In my game France got dogpiled and I've been able to take the entirety of Brittany and all my continental cores, as well as Ireland and the best parts of Scotland, and it's not even 1500 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Fowl posted:

I keep getting the notice "Too Few Seats in Parliament" as England. How many seats do I need to give out to make that go away?

I found I needed six or seven seats total with the starting England provinces, with more as I expanded.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's the best way to use the trade system to make my Portugal filthy rich?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I thought the point of "search for the seven cities" was the auto-exploration, and in that it succeeds magnificently. I haven't actually played a colonising power since El Dorado came out and automated exploration is loving aces.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

With development not having an escalating cost, are we not just going to end up dumping it all in our capital province?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Got a messy borders complaint. I'm playing Portugal and I colonised all of the Caribbean since it seems to have good base tax (like 4 per province). Once that was done, I started colonising neighbouring Colombia, and my colonial subject in the Caribbean did too. But when Portuguese Colombia formed, my Caribbean colonial subject kept all the land in that area that they had colonised, which means that Colombia is split in half by their land.

I think if two colonial subject nations have the same overlord, they should give their provinces to each other depending on colonial region.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If we're in "making random suggestions" mode, I'd love to see the ability to "mothball" (could call it "demobilise" or "stand down") armies. Pretty much every argument for being able to mothball fleets works for mothballing armies, and it would be good in situations like:

I'm generally at peace but need a few colonial troops at full morale to fight natives or explore

I'm at peace but want one army ready to fight in case I'm attacked - the others can hide in the rear until their morale recovers in the event of war

I'm a giant country like Russia and only need to fight on one front, not all of them

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

aeglus posted:

Been playing as minor nations so long that I thought I'd mess around with the Ottomans again... completely broken. That start is more explosive than I remember, and the core bonus is insane, especially when added with the admin bonus. Dude that did the single tag WC wasn't kidding.

It kinda feels like being the endboss.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Cannon help a lot with sieges, especially when it's just a level 1 castle.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

It should let you assault and then just face horrifying losses only to end up not taking the castle anyway and then it would be historically accurate. :colbert:

Do you know any particularly egregious examples of this?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Node posted:

I was looking through the beta patch notes...

"- Added event to create Greek cores late in the game."

What does the above mean exactly?

Sounds a bit like the shenanigans that make the Dutch pop up mid-game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

In a situation where a king became king of France and Hungary, wouldn't he just move his court to Paris and effectively it's France ruling Hungary, rather than the other way around?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, just because you share a king does not mean the bigger country rules the other, especially not if the smaller country is a decent enough size in itself and geographically separated. (And even a small country would have to be integrated.) The king of Hungary would likely go to France to rule instead of staying in Hungary though, just like the Elector of Hannover left for GB.

OK, but in a situation where France is a junior partner to Hungary in a personal union, it seems a bit off that Hungary will then be able to annex France and then everyone in France starts acting Hungarian with Hungarian ideas and flying the Hungarian flag and so on. The other way around seems more likely.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Apoffys posted:

The only idea I have that modifies tech cost is the one in Administrative that gives -10% to admin tech. I have Administrative, Trade, Defensive and Humanist ideas, and I'm playing as the Ottomans. So why do I get a 14% discount to diplomatic and military tech, and 26% for admin tech due to "ideas"? It should be 10% for admin and 0% for diplo/military, right?

All ideas give a small tech discount to their category.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So is the way to expand within the HRE to vassalise neighbours and annex them that way? Is straight-up conquering provinces from people too much AE?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Does anyone else think cultural conversion is a little... easy? The idea that England could expend four years effort and then everyone in Ireland considers themselves English seems... optimistic. (from the Imperial English point of view, anyway)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is westernization really necessary for a muslim? I could do it now, but the cost is very high, Im in doubt.

What are the advantages exactly, besides cheaper techs?

Cheaper techs are all there is.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

you can take Plutocratic ideas and ultimately get culture acceptance threshold nominally below 0%

Presumably there's a hard limit to how low it can get though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's a pity they released it just before going on holiday though - I'm missing their usually-speedy bug fixing. The beta patch was a nice touch, but it's not as good as they usually are.

I respect their right to a good long holiday though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Well, figurehead might be a bit literal, in that the event actually requires your ruler to die.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I waited for Portugal to go to war with Morocco and ship their army over. Then I used my navy to interfere with them coming back while I sieged them down.

Blocking off all of Aragon with forts is also a good idea though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

You shouldn't need to. The Conquest CB lets you take every claim for free, so as long as you forge claims on all three provinces, you're good to go.

He's talking about vassalising and then integrating them, I think.

Otherwise he would be lamenting the admin points required.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm now in love with the idea of conquering Grenada, converting their lands, then releasing them as a vassal, making them a March, then feeding them North Africa.

Is this useful? Won't they still only be able to fully exploit really nearby stuff due to the overseas penalty?

It might be better to take over one of the Berber states and feed them Africa instead, though it'll be expensive initially.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lori posted:

Galleys are always useful because they cost literally nothing to purchase and maintain

No they don't

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

So there doesn't seem to have been any change to how rebels interact with the new fort system. Is there any way to mod how long rebels have to hold a province before they add 10 years of nationalism (I've got provinces in 1550 that will have nationalism until 1650 as a result of this bullshit, which realistically means they'll have nationalism until 1821 because there will be other nationalist uprisings)?

Religious rebels are even worse - they instantly convert provinces they capture.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Deport The Irish posted:

No special tricks in this battle, no terrain bonus, and I as the defender have been going for offensive-units. This two big bad stacks of germans getting sweaty in some 1556 farm fields. I don't know how combat even works. Do you know how combat even works?

Does... does Paradox even know? :ohdear:

You should probably read the wiki about combat. There are loads of reasons why you might have gotten this result.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm interested to see what you can do with a small (say, five provinces) power who goes all-out on development. Looks like Bavaria are probably the way to go - five provinces, all grassland, western tech group, 10% discount on development. Grab a couple vassals, try and take over the Holy Roman Empire, and later on the world, from your giant pile of lederhosen in the centre of Europe.

What idea groups would be best for this? Economic is obvious for the discount on development, quantity to make your army respectably-sized, maybe a bunch of diplomatic ideas to make everyone love you?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Node posted:

Holy poo poo, it's happening. My heart is racing.

I need to take some blood pressure medicine.

e:

After forming, your capital moves back to Iberia, and EVERYTHING in the New World becomes a colony. I'm losing 600 ducats a month. My naval force limits stayed the same, my land force limits went from 220 to 80. France, and their allies Austria and a complete Italy (first time I've ever seen that) will Re-Re-Reconquista me back once the truce is over. Half of the new colonial nations are pretty pissed and want independence. But I loving did it. God is Great.

:spain:

Nice one! How did you do it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

If I could take England's continental holdings as France without needing to invade the island

Huh? You can do that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

Bad example then; I tried a couple times in a previous patch and could not.

What couldn't you do, exactly? If you declare war on England for Normandy and then occupy it, eventually they have to give it to you - length of war modifiers will tick down, war score modifiers for occupying the war target will tick up, and after a bit of time you'll be able to claim it in a peace deal.

I don't think this is patch-dependent, either - it's always been this way in EU4, I think.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

I occupied the 4 (Normady, Caux, Gascone, Labourd) English continental holdings that I could reach (could not get access to get to Calais) and could not take all 4 in the peace deal. There just isnt enough warscore even with a full ticking warscore bonus, to take all 4 in the peace deal.

edit:

Even if I add 10% from warscore from battles or something and another 24% from ticking warscore England would not accept that deal.

Oh, we're on the same page now. I thought you meant you couldn't get them to give up anything at all.

I don't have a problem with you needing two wars in total to kick the English off the continent. It's not like the Hundred Years War was one uninterrupted century-long period of hostilities.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Avocados posted:

So I burned myself out with Mount & Blade Warband. I really liked the appeal of working under a mother nation, getting big and powerful, then breaking away and going rogue. My complaint with the game was how little detail was put forward with running a nation and diplomacy, the latter seeming to be a coin flip.

Is this going to scratch that Warband itch? I see combat is far less involved, which is something I don't think I'll miss honestly. It looks like EU has a lot more in the way of nation building and such.

Thanks beautiful goons.

Sounds like you should like it. Try playing Sweden to begin with - they're pretty strong and start under Denmark.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Are there any mods that remove the "directionality" of the trade system? It seems wrong that some nodes are basically pre-destined to be incredible trade earners and others to just have the value sucked out of them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I pretty much always just raise autonomy on anything I capture. gently caress dealing with rebels if all it takes is a month before they put some lovely modifier like +10 years of separatism on a province.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are colonial nation rebellions a little wonky for you all? Twice this game I supported a CN's independence, went to war over it, and seemed to win the war (the parent nation had to give some stuff up)... but the CN is still a subject after the war. Here's it happening with Portugal.

Yeah, I see deals like this being offered to me all the time when I use the "Cleansing of Heresy" CB. Yes, I declared a holy war on you and occupied half your nation because I wanted 10% of your income and fifty bucks.

I get the feeling that since the AI thinks they're reasonable enough deals to offer, they also think they're reasonable enough deals to accept.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Got a bad case of dumb war AI:

Pictured: 61,000 of my allies troops just standing around while 5,000 dudes siege down their stuff. (Anhalt, Thuringen and Leipzig have all fallen already)

Saxony declared the war on their neighbour, then not only did not invade said neighbour, they actually left Saxony itself for neighbouring Bohemia to allow themselves to get invaded by an army a fifth of their size. Meanwhile their allies are doing the same thing.

Gort fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 1, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there any point to development except as a dumping ground for monarch points when you max out? I tried a game as Bavaria, who are basically the best country I could think of to maximise development (all grass/farmlands, western tech, small, in the HRE so they're defended somewhat, national idea that gives a development discount) and it still feels like you get a tiny fraction of the return for your monarch points compared to what conquest gives you. I suppose it's not risky, but it's not at all rewarding either.

I haven't played past 1500 yet, so maybe once I get past the initial teching-up stage and have Economic ideas maxed out it'll start coming together...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Munin posted:

The other thing is that development does get much cheaper later in the game (but you then of course have less time to benefit from the improvements).

So does conquest, so it's a wash

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I would like to be able to mothball armies. Any mods for that or have the devs mentioned anything about it? It would help a ton for colonial powers so you can still have some troops on 100% maintenance guarding your colonies or searching for the Cities of Gold, but your main force back home is on minimum maintenance.

Even normal nations could benefit - you could have one army at 100% to fight the early stages of a war declared on you while your other armies come online.

You could call it "reserves" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You could just have the army take 3 months to "un-reserve". Until that point it wouldn't regain morale at all.

I'm not sure it would be too strong in any case, though - anyone can do it, after all, so it's not like it'd unbalance anything.

• Locked thread