Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jastiger posted:

Where can I upload a save file so that a goon can go over it?

Dropbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Man, trying to prevent the Italian nations from leaving the Holy Roman Empire as Austria is driving me nuts. Florence has taken Umbria - one of the six-or-so provinces that you need - which meant that I couldn't fabricate a claim on Rome, which is another province that you need.

One no-cassus-belli war on Rome later and I've taken Rome, cored it, added it to the empire and handed it back to the Papal State because the penalties for occupying Rome are steep for a Catholic (fair enough).

However, I'm stuck with the fact that Florence still holds Umbria - they've cored it, and haven't added it to the empire despite being part of the Holy Roman Empire. Is there anything I can do to get them to add it to the empire, or do I need to attack them as well? (This will suck since they're part of a coalition against me AND they have an alliance with France)

I'm beginning to think that so many things have to go right to prevent Italy leaving the HRE that you might as well not bother.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

More Austria questions:

Was I an idiot to take Humanism instead of Religious? I feel like I need to be smashing the heretic princes and stomping out Protestantism and Reformists wherever they pop up, since they tank my Authority gain. Would Religious have been a better choice for this?

Or does it not matter? It's 1550 and I haven't seen much of the Thirty Years War stuff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Speaking of exiled armies, I'd like to see AI exiled armies teleport home or disband if they've been exiled for more than a year. I've seen AI armies exiled for decades in certain situations (Portugal failing to invade my Aztecs for example) and it's got to be devastating to their chances of winning wars.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I've played Austria three times to about 1550 due to various fuckups, and I've never had the Burgundian Inheritance fire at all, let alone had it give me all of Burgundy's land.

But yeah, my current game has me with Personal Unions with both Bohemia and Hungary in 1550, which is pretty cool. Unfortunately I lost the Emperor title since I got a female ruler. Milan then promptly took the title, lost a war, and undid one of the two reforms it had taken me a century to pass in the peace deal. Fuckers.

The key to remaining Emperor seems to be to buddy up to (read: ally, royal marriage, improve relations, answer calls to arms) the small electors - you know, Cologne, Mainz, Trier, those guys. Places like Bohemia and Brandenburg will just vote for themselves over and over, but the smaller electors will vote for you as long as you treat them right, and it usually only takes two of them plus your own vote to get re-elected. Keep your Aggressive Expansion down, too, that doesn't hurt.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sailing a fleet from Somalia to Tunisia in 1800 is a pain in the rear end. Building the Suez Canal is a giant pain in the rear end.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Make sure it's just a little war though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

try reloading

What, if you reload do AI exiled armies teleport home? Or is it just a kick to the AI that sometimes wakes it up?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm a little disillusioned with a couple of parts of the game - the Holy Roman Empire and the Ming factions system. In both systems you can get screwed by random events you have no control over - get a female heir in the HRE without the chance to get the Pragmatic Sanction in place? Goodbye Emperorship. Oh, and the new emperor is a loser and revokes reforms every time he loses a war.

Meanwhile in my Ming game, I got an incredible heir with 6/5/5 stats, but for some reason his claim was weak so he had 54 legitimacy when he took the throne. Mandate of heaven lost, Ming explodes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Ethiopia ironman start question, religious idea first and then exploration? Also the starting income situation is brutal without any trade, how did you handle this?

Yes, yes, gold provinces to production development 10

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think if you had a New World Plague mechanic you'd need to make the native American provinces a lot better prior to it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Well, that sucked. My army got defeated and didn't retreat anywhere, so they immediately got into a second fight and got stackwiped. They weren't cut off or trapped by forts, they were on my territory with lots of space to retreat into.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The general way things work is that an ally will join on the side of the defender if two of their allies go to war. That said, an ally cannot be both on your side in one war, and against you in another. So declare war on someone tiny and get Portugal in on that, then declare war on Aragon and they won't help Aragon against you.

HOWEVER, Castille very often gets an event that gives them Aragon as a vassal, so don't attack Aragon until something like 1600 (which is after the timeframe where the event fires).

You generally shouldn't need to use harsh treatment to deal with rebels. Raise autonomy in the affected provinces (though how Constantinople is rebelling when you're the Ottomans I've no idea) and crush the rebels when they pop up. If your stability is tanking, you need to get that poo poo up to 0 ASAP.

Yeah, sitting still with the speed turned up for a bit is often worthwhile. Let your manpower recover and the "aggressive expansion" negative diplomatic modifier dissipate for a while every so often. It's not so important as the Ottomans because they're mega-huge and powerful, but it's essential if you start playing a lesser power, especially in Europe and double-especially if you're in the Holy Roman Empire.

The starting options just indicate different starting years - you can always play as anyone. I pretty much always start in the earliest start, but if you want to play as the Netherlands or someone like that who only shows up later you could do a lot worse than picking a timeframe in which they exist.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I played Hungary and felt like I just got my feet under me, I was eating up Serbia, Bosnia, Wallachia...

Then the Papal State asked for help against Florence. What I got was a French pain train which ate up all my manpower. No big deal, it's not like I'd lose anything when the war ended...

And then the Ottomans attacked with 80,000 men and Serbia, Bosnia and Wallachia all decided to start their own wars of reconquest at the same time. Jesus.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dibujante posted:

Combat width is 15 + your combat width value, as show on the tech screen. It maxes at 40 (+25 on your tech screen)

The military screen now shows the actual value so you don't need to work it out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Can't you just return anything you didn't want?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why would you use infantry even for sieges? The reason you usually do that is reinforcing infantry is cheaper... but, you know, since hordes get free reinforcements, that's pointless. Just never make infantry.

Well, if all you can afford is 6 cavalry like DeeEmTee suggests, you can't siege a capital province which has a castle in it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Wiz posted:

Perhaps opinions on Estates might differ a bit depending on what you want out of the game, rather than there being an objectively correct Good or Nongood stance? Most people seem to like them, but they *are* a bit of a divergence from the earlier War focused theme of the game, so it's to be expected everyone won't love them.

I think a lot of it is teething troubles. Until you realise just how valuable gaining permanent loyalty is with an estate, it's very easy to pick badly on choices that involve them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You shouldn't really be skirting the line so close that an event can gently caress you up that badly. Keep at 40% loyalty or higher and 70% influence or lower, and keep your "+10 loyalty/influence" decision as an emergency button rather than spamming it every time it's available.

And view estate loyalty as the extremely valuable commodity that it is.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm a fan of 50% more trade power in my centres of trade.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Whorelord posted:

Is this new? I overextended my colonial nation to gently caress once and remember seeing a bunch of rebels pop up afterwards

No, it's not true. My New Castile just exploded from overextension which spawned a ton of separatists.

Maybe he meant that primitives conquered by non-primitives will not have separatists if they don't end up in a colonial nation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Just started getting into EU4 and I noticed there is steam workshop support, are there any must have mods?

No.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sheep posted:

Is it at 10 or 11 where gold mines can get depleted? I thought it was 10.

It's 11.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Holy poo poo, how did I not know about shift-clicking the "consolidate regiments" button? That makes a huge difference!

(it turns your army into as many 1,000 man regiments as it can but keeps the 0 man regiments around to reinforce)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

And reinforcements are on a per regiment basis, so you actually reinforce faster if you're filling 20 half-strength regiments than 10 no-strength ones. The flip side of that is that it's cheaper to only reinforce the 10 at a time.

The reinforcement system is kinda bizarre really - ten regiments of 900 men will reinforce about 1,000 men in a month, while nine regiments of 1,000 men and one regiment of 0 men will reinforce about 100 men in a month, despite the army having the same number of men in total and the same number missing. Maybe for Europa 5 it would be better if you just said, "This army will max out at 15,000 infantry, 15,000 artillery and 4,000 cavalry" and then the game fills up the regiments one at a time at a constant reinforcement rate each month.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I bought Cossacks and I'd do it again I tells ya.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone else get weird graphical glitches like this when they've been playing a while?

A restart fixes it, but it's a bit annoying.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

The biggest issue for Paradox was that it hosed up multiplayer synching I think somehow.

I seem to recall my checksum changing pretty much at random.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Average Bear posted:

The whole tech system is in need of an overhaul.

Maybe the solution is to give Europe bonuses instead of everyone else penalties.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think I've not been clear. Currently the system works this way:

Western Tech Group: 100% tech costs
Everyone else: More than 100% tech costs

Europe isn't getting bonuses in that system, they're just not getting penalised the way everyone else is.

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 15, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Looks like a fairly standard Austria. You get 1 Imperial Authority for each province you add to the empire, so it makes sense to expand east into areas where provinces are cheap.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gantolandon posted:

Doesn't imperial authority already depend of the number of states in HRE?

Yeah.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Koramei posted:

Mare Nostrum sounds like it'll be something to do with navies in general to me, rather than just the Mediterranean. Especially with people theorizing that the new manpower thing they showed off looked a lot like sailors.

It'll add the naval mechanics from Hearts of Iron 4, mark my words.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Maybe he should also give settler growth or tarriffs or colonist chance or something as well.

It's a bit like spy offense guy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Is there a bug with the "attitude towards enemies" modifier? I can't get my ally to declare war on their rival because they like them too much to the tune of a -60 modifier.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

As far as policies go, co-existence is vastly superior to the others, just because it cuts down on the micromanagement needed.

No discussion of colonisation is complete without me wishing I could mothball my armies. It's so stupid (not to mention expensive) having to keep the entire British Army on high alert in London because a detachment of 3000 men in North America might get attacked by natives.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Has anyone else noticed a bug where countries get a penalty to wanting to join wars against their rivals?

I am England, allied to Castille and Savoy. Savoy has France as a rival, Castille does not.

Castille will join a war aginst France, but Savoy will not due to a -60 modifier from "attitude towards enemies".

It's really annoying, especially in the early game when allies are especially important.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Just got Ivory as the trade good for Eiriksfjord, Greenland. Those are some loving cold elephants.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Eh, not really worth worrying too much about corruption until we actually see the numbers. Everyone already talks about how they have more money than god by the midgame and my infantry are all mercenaries and wouldn't it be nice for there to be something to spend it on, so I don't see it being too problematic to just whack the slider up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Anyone else wish you could always have at least 1 general and 1 admiral?

• Locked thread