Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm really enjoying Common Sense so far. Forts and ZOC are amazing, province development and the change to actually viably build tall is great too (though I'm playing England at the moment, so I won't be developing much). The parliament mechanic is really neat too.

I'm only about 30 or 40 years into the game though and haven't run into any noticeable bugs either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

axeil posted:

After playing around a bit last night, I am starting to feel that Monarch Points are spread a bit thin right now. Between tech, ideas, province development and coring/vassal feeding there's a lot to spend points on. Maybe if the base gain was changed from 3 a month to 4 a month it'd alleviate a lot of these problems?

Also agree on the rebels situation, you have to predict where a rebellion is going to start and pray they don't spawn on top of any lands without forts. 10 years of nationalism after 2,000 rebels hold a province for 2 months seems way out of line.

Definitely agreeing on the rebels thing, but I interpret investing development points as totally optional depending on how you are playing your given country. If you're going to be colonizing or relying on building a broad trading post empire, it's not necessary (since you're playing wide) and is probably a waste of monarch points (or at least shouldn't take a priority). Otherwise if you're building tall and you rely on your provinces being as efficient as possible, you'll want to place a higher priority on investing in development points.

It still seems they're spread a bit thin, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh hey, a really lovely bug: I just passed a bill in Parliament, but now I'm getting the Looming Disaster notification that is ticking up +1% monthly for not having an active debate in Parliament.

But once you pass a bill in Parliament, you're required to wait 10 years before you can start a new debate.

It's 1641 and the parliament mechanic has been working just fine for me so far, why it should crop up now, I have no drat idea.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Larry Parrish posted:

Are you sure it's not a disaster triggered by something else, but not having a current debate happens to give progress.

I guess it could be, it's the English Civil War disaster. So timeline-wise it'd be about spot on.

gently caress, not a bug then I guess.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Node posted:

1) Has anyone found a general rule of thumb on when to add development to a province? Not buildings, but adding tax, production, or manpower. As Switzerland, I just feel like I don't ever want to do that. I want to spend it on coring, ideas, or tech, like usual.

In my current GB game, I only really invest MP into upgrading development back in Britain when I have it spare. Next tech level at +60% research time because I'm ahead? No ideas to spend points on? Drop some MP into development points.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rumda posted:

okay I haven't played since before wealth of nations just caught up with the dlc whats the main changes I should know about

There's a new OP :ssh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Reformation did pretty well for itself in my England game, despite one of the centers of reformation spawning in... Iceland.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mugsbaloney posted:

Playing as Scotland early start all dlc but common sense. Given that North Sea trade node is.'upstream' from English channel, how do I stop the auld rosbif foxkillers from siphoning trade away from NS to EC? I can win more trade power in NS sure but that's only a percentage of the amount that stays in the node right? Am new to this game

Get the majority trade power in the node and then embargo England.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This is triggering my OCD something fierce.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Holy poo poo, Sabaton DLC.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Paradox, you magnificent bastard.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If there's one thing I wish for, it's some function to let me "lock in" or favorite a RNW seed to use across multiple playthroughs. I just generated a really awesome looking one on an Ironman game I want to give up on and would like to use it for a playthrough that isn't going to totally suck.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PittTheElder posted:

The Sabaton pack is nice, but god drat is it ever jarring to switch between it and the normal music selection.

I love me some Sabaton but I'm kinda regretting getting the DLC really. It's literally just tracks from Art of War (at least, that's all I've heard so far). It would be different if maybe they were instrumental versions or special versions specifically for EU4, but as it is it's kinda meh to me. I could just turn off the EU4 music and keep Spotify running instead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vichan posted:

This game, holy poo poo!

Terrain mode:

Whoa, I so rarely use terrain mode that I never thought to switch over and check how the RNW continents look in it. drat nice, at least from someone with only a layman's knowledge of how meteorology would work in those worlds.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I just started a custom nation game in the new world for the achievements. My capital is in Quebec and I gave myself a bunch of land on the Labrador coast, too.

So why is most of my land apparently not counting as non-overseas? And why are my burghers pissed off that they don't have any land when they clearly do have land?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I kinda don't care for estates.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tomn posted:

I realize this was probably in the game for ages, but somehow I never got around to playing EU4 during the Christmas season before.

Deck the Halls, Falalalan. :3:

I was in the same boat this year and thought it was amazing.

I also didn't realize until like two or three replays of the song later that they actually changed the Deck the Halls lyrics to be more grand-strategy-ish, too. A really nice touch on that free Christmas DLC.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Why am I constantly getting Catholic Zealots popping up in one of my colonial nation's provinces (Belem, in Brazil) even though that province has been Protestant since the time I colonized it? It's happened three times now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gyre posted:

What's the best process for colonization if you aren't one of the Iberian countries? I'm playing Holland and want to see if I can dual task becoming the Emperor/colonizing the Random New World.

I'm doing my first Holland game right now and I'm a colonizing fiend... decided to prioritize Africa (I have all the colonizable provinces there, I guess Portugal's AI decided Africa wasn't a priority) and the East Indies. I do have a pretty big Dutch Brazil though too.

I started with taking Exploration ideas, then a non-colonizing one (Defense), and then Expansion, then Trade. It's 1600 and I'm rolling in cash with 3 colonists running at any given time (and the income to sustain 4-5 simultaneous colonies if I want to).

Only real downside is that my army is teeny-tiny, and I still haven't been able to form Netherlands yet (gently caress you Friesland and your giant web of alliances). Massive Trier keeps DoW'ing me every ten years to cleanse my heresy though and even though I won the first war by spamming mercs and taking a bunch of loans, this most current one is looking really dodgy.

So close to the Je Maintaindrai achievement and yet so far :sigh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

After a long time of pretty much only doing my colonization in the New World (no idea why, I guess I just like having colonial nations), I just finished a game as Morocco right before Mare Nostrum came out and focused purely on dominating trade coming around Africa from the East Indies. Fuuuuck I got rich.

Why does anyone even bother with colonizing the New World when African/East Indian trade just seems outright better, without the hassle of dealing with upjumped colonial nations who will constantly threaten war if not coddled?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doing an ironman game as Desmond -> Ireland, and I've just witnessed something I've never seen in EU4 before (with lucky nations mode on, anyway).

Morocco conquered Portugal. All of it.

Also somehow Castile imploded and there's now basically a three-way struggle for dominance between ascendant Leon, the remains of Castile (who are continually besieged by Bogolomists), and Aragon (who just pounded my buddy France to a pulp over Roussillon).

Anyway, re: Ireland... what's the best way to not bleed ducats every month? This island has kinda poo poo base tax and I can barely afford to keep my forcelimits (I have like 0.15 income per month). Do I go all-in on stacking trade power in the North Sea node? Would a tall strategy be viable? As it stands I doubt very much that I'll be colonizing just because my income is atrocious, and I can't afford to gut my army spending because of the constant threat of England.

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baron Corbyn posted:

This is basically my exact position now, except I'm Kildare and it's Leon, Granada and Morocco dividing Castile and Portugal up, and I'm Kildare struggling to keep afloat, especially since I've got a bunch of loans after having to go toe to toe with England while France pissed about occupying all of Brittany until Brittany would accept a white peace to force France to bother England.

Basically the exact same, except I accrued a poo poo ton of loans conquering Leinster (who had English backup). I'm finally solvent again thanks to France and Austria offering me subsidies (which I have never, ever, EVER seen the AI do, and it owns), but I can't really sustain anymore growth until my income gets sorted out.

I can't even finish the conquest of Ireland either.. I'm best buds with Scotland, and they just conquered Ulster for themselves (which is I guess fine, since I don't need that province to form Ireland). England still controls Pale, and meddling Scotland has allied the sole remaining Irish OPM besides that, meaning I can't take them without sacrificing my Scottish friendship.

If I can somehow manage to get Pale from England, then I'll be more likely to ditch the Scots and hope to ally the English instead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PittTheElder posted:

The AI has always given subsidies to small powers fighting their rivals, what's new is small powers sending gifts as well.

That explains the 55 ducat gift Brittany gave me in my last war. Neato!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jay Rust posted:

Plus with Castille so weak, AI colonisation is pathetic. It's 1650 or so in my Cologne game and North America is entirely untouched, except for a British Mexico. Of course me eating up the Dutch probably didn't help :(

It was like this before the current patch in my experience though. And that was drat awesome, since it meant that we eventually got to see New Worlds that weren't just 100% Portuguese.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't seen much discussion of the new Trade Leagues for Merchant Republics. Any fun to play as someone like Lubeck now? My previous adventures with HRE minors have been very dull.

AI Lübeck conquered pretty much all of northern Germany in my Ireland game.

As far as an HRE minor goes though, I got my rear end stomped several times in a few aborted attempts at making Hesse work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've been out of the EU4 loop for a couple expansions now, just spent the day getting back into it, and with Ironman. Doing a Hesse game that actually managed to take off -- I'm about three times as big as I was at the start, and am a regional power in NW Germany.

The issue is that my allies and rivals aren't ideal anymore. I really want to ally with Bohemia, and they'd be totally down for it if I wasn't rivalled with Brunswick, their ally. The issue is that I can't seem to unrival Brunswick. They've been my rival for ages, so there's no time limit at play. I have the minimum amount of diplo power to switch out the rival (100). But when I click on their shield in my rivals list, and the list of other possible rivals appears, but every option is greyed out.

Am I missing something here? I'm not at war and neither are they, so it can't be that either.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

oddium posted:

i think you can right click the shield to unrival instead of switch. i dunno i usually don't mess with rivaling unless i've just eclipsed someone

Yep, that worked well!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What are the requirements for getting Printing Press to fire? In my Hesse game I feel like I've been among the last countries in western Europe to actually be able to embrace certain institutions (for example, colonialism spawned in Granada and by the time it spread to the Germany region, it literally went to every country surrounding me first before it finally came to me). I'd sorta like to have the leg-up on this one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Veloxyll posted:

Okay. Just re-picked this up after a long absence. and how the heck do I make money?
I had wiped out (and vassalised) England as Scotland.
Then I went bankrupt.
Even at like 1/4 maintenence with my forts all napping, I was at 0 gold income.

Also went bankrupt as Portugal.
Mid-war.

Were you comically over your forcelimits? Aside from that the only thing I can think of is that (I believe) a recent patch reduced the threshold of loans you can take before risking bankruptcy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

In 500 hours I've never done a game as a colonizer where I just completely ignored the Americas and concentrated on Africa/the East Indies. Holy poo poo my Portugal is just printing cash by hoovering up all that trade, especially after I started developing my Indonesian provinces. Really tempted to take plutocratic administration and become a Merchant Republic just to get even more money, but my current heir is 6/5/6 and I don't wanna gently caress that up :ohdear:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tahirovic posted:

Republics don't scale well if you get bigger, if you have more than 20 provinces in states you pay -0.1 rt per year per province above that limit. On average your rulers will also have less points than if you were a monarchy.
Might be worth it to pick up Plutocratic ideas tough, then just wait for the even that puts you back into a monarchy. Plutocratic ideas are about the best and probably only good thing Republics have left in this game.

The vast majority of my provinces are in trade companies. The only states I have are in Portugal proper.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rapner posted:

Do you put everything in Asia in a trade company? I'm trying to judge if that is the way to go, or keep some out/make states.

Every province that I own that can be put into a trade company has been. I was a bit dumb and got too excited about expansion at some point around 100 years ago, taking some inland provinces in Africa (not realizing that they don't belong to a trade company region), but aside from that everything outside Portugal is in a TC.

Now that I've colonized pretty much everything I want to colonize, I'm occasionally removing provinces one at a time from the TC long enough to convert them to Catholicism, then putting them back in the TC and starting to dump monarchmana into their development.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

is there any talk of EU5 anytime in the medium term?

Paradox is working on like 2-3 "secret" projects, but realistically, none of them should be EU5. CK2 is the older game of this generation and should probably be up for a sequel before EU4 is.

But everyone knows 2 of those 3 secret projects are Victoria 3 and Rome 2.... right? Right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pellisworth posted:

EU4 was released more than four years ago, in summer of 2013.

It's absolutely a good game but many of us who have been playing since launch are getting tired of the DLC model.

It's time for EU5 or at least a summary expansion + sale which ties together all the previous DLCs.

As much as I think the DLC model (which borders on software-as-a-service) is not a bad thing, I think it's going to bite Paradox in the rear end real hard when it comes time to make the next sequels for the current DLC-focused games (CK2, EU4, HOI4). Granted that time is probably several years down the road, but at some point the Clausewitz engine will need a replacement, and Paradox will be forced to somehow pare back all of these features into a single $39 title, which will be impossible to do.

Like Johan said, the only real way forward with sequels to those titles is if there is a complete sea change in their design philosophies, which... kinda can't happen very easily in the strategy market. I mean, look at Civ 5 -> Civ 6 as a good example, with tons of fans of the series saying that they recommend sticking with the previous version, even to this day. And Civ 5 only got 2 expansions, where CK2 has had 14 and EU4 has 12.

• Locked thread