Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

That might be tricky in a multiplayer game with only 2 or 3 people - one might be a belligerent greedy rear end in a top hat with others acting more rationally.

Obviously it would be how they behave towards that country, not globally. If you refuse to ever peace out AIs before hitting 100%, they'll do the same to you if given the chance, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Node posted:

I have still never played with RNW enabled, I've heard it is essentially a string of islands or something akin to that. I suppose I need to try it sometimes so I can appreciate the new one being worked on.

It creates a bunch of amorphous islands that stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the world, but that's just the start of its problems really. Basically the original RNW had entirely wrong design priorities and by the time this was realized it was too late to do anything except try to polish what was there. I've been trying to fit a fix into the schedule and finally found the time/resources without impacting the next expansion.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dibujante posted:

Will RNW ever have archipelagos? That is one thing that I find adds "noise" to the map in ways that makes it look more believable.

Yes, the tile system already has a bunch and we're adding more.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I posted a dev diary about Horde features in the secret new expansion we're working on.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

kraken! posted:

I went on a mod spree the other day and now my fleets don't work so well anymore. Specifically the mothball, upgrade outdated ships, automatic transport, and some other button are just missing. Also the army/navy template builder is gone. I deleted all the mods to no avail and then deleted all the local files and re-installed via steam.

Where did my buttons go and how can I get them back?

What kind of jerk makes a mod that just breaks conveniences?

Sounds like you accidentally disabled Art of War in the launcher.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
North America was way overnerfed in 1.12... miscommunication between intent and design. We're going to restore some of that in 1.14.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Obliterati posted:

Are you able to elaborate on this? We've been considering ways to fix it for EG so you might be saving us the work!

Just raise the development to somewhere between where it was and where it is now.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dev diary about Estates is up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Does every country have access to the estates? Or is it only Muslim, Western and Eastern European tech countries?

Almost every country.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Average Bear posted:

It looks exactly like merchant republic factions. And the bonuses look just as ignorable

I can see how you would make that assumption if you missed the fact that the dev diary also contained text.

Easy mistake, really.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

My impression was that you could play ironman with any setup you wanted, (easy, mods, custom nation) but you can only get achievements with the standard historical start/rules (lucky nations on etc).

You can get achievements with RNW, just not new world specific ones. There are also some Nation Designer achievements coming in 1.14. Since you can pre-generate the RNW you can in fact play with the Crimson Empire if you roll them, and get some generic achievements with them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Obliterati posted:

Just noting that Paradox have started up their MP stream again, showing off new features for the coming expansion. All looking pretty good!

Plus lots of wars. Particularly chuffed to see an England that doesn't just give up on the Continent.

People play England passively, sitting on their island and giving up on the continent, while England is actually far better played aggressively.

Obliterati posted:

This was pretty glorious though I have no idea how it even happened.

The short of it: Me and Burgundy had a deal to divide France, but he backstabbed me and came at me with France instead. When I realized what was coming, I allied every AI that would say yes, including Scotland. Scotland allying me caused them to break their alliance with France, so that when France declared war his troops in Scotland were all exiled. Even if he hadn't been exiled, me + Scotland + the irish minors had about 65k troops in the british isles vs France's 40k, so not sure that would have ended great for him regardless.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
So we just announced a thing.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

AI forces ignore any troops other than their own when calculating attrition, so 4 different countries with 10k stacks in 1 province still only suffers attrition as 10k troops.

This was a bug several patches ago, no longer the case.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

Re: development chat

It's a much better mechanic for representing province wealth and manpower but it's not actually useful or interesting as a tool for players. It's a point dump where you prioritize unlocking building slots and maintaining accepted cultures. In other words, the actual direct benefits from income and manpower are generally poo poo relative to the MP cost.

The metagame of development is really weird. Large nations will spend their points on expansion and generally not develop much. Small to medium sized nations will have nothing to do with their points and develop hugely, such that any European minor winds up with all their provinces 20-30+ development by 1600. You see, the reason a unified Germany historically terrified the rest of Europe is because all the HRE minors sat their spamming province development while the other world powers spent their MPs conquering and colonizing.

Development cost reduction can be deceptive. If you pay full price early, you get the benefits for most/all the campaign. If you develop later you can do so much more cheaply but you're also only getting the benefits for part of the campaign and more importantly those are points you're not spending on the cheaper expansion from Administrative Efficiency. It's kind of a trap.

Buying development is a point dump with a return on investment about as good as culture conversion. Maybe even less so.

Edit: except gold mines those are usually worth a few points of production at least.

A big part of what development does is keep medium sized nations relevant in the late game, so that one blob doesn't have the rest of the world's forcelimits together.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Diplomatic Feedback dev diary is up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Dang, I was just thinking how nice it was that, while all the new features of the expansion sound nice and worth buying, nothing's put me in that pre-expansion mode where I don't want to play because I'm thinking of all the cool new features I don't have yet. I think this one finally did it. :(

I do worry a little bit about the fact that your allies won't go to war "out of the goodness of their hearts" anymore and want something out of that particular war... will the AI consider "this alliance is too important to break" as a reason to go to war? I know when I answer my ally's calls to arms it's usually because I need their alliance farther down the road, not because I want something out of that immediate war.

That is simulated by spending Favors. Defensive calls won't require you to bribe them though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Transmetropolitan posted:

Awesome stuff. I assume the new diplomatic system means that having big brother alliances to help you along are now over? (Like Byzantium allying with Poland and wrecking the crap out of the Ottomans)

e:f,b

It's not over, but you'll actually have to do things for them in return.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, holding off on calling it a perfect upgrade unless we get something that makes upgrading mercs less tedious.

Mercs upgrade automatically in 1.14.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty bummed that after refusing to change Prussia for so long, they're now changing Bavaria's map color to blue. It's just not right...

Have you considered that you might care far too much about map colors in a computer game?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did. I'd change Prussia but it's grey by Decree of Johan.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MrBling posted:

Is the fort obsolete? Thats the only reason I can think of that would cause it.

It's a bug. Fixed in 1.14.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hostile Core-Creation is a crutch, but not one that should be removed without something to fill the gap. And no, the solution is not to make North Africa the richest region in the world.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreyPowerVan posted:

Maybe just give those countries some other kind of bonus?

What kind of bonus will prevent North Africa from being all Iberian all the time?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The question you need to ask yourself is "would this be any kind of deterrence to me, as a player?".

The answer to all of your ideas is "no". People hate hostile core-creation because it actually works as a deterrence.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kalos posted:

Rebels lasting longer and hitting harder makes them more likely to overthrow their conquerors, especially in the early game where manpower is precious.

Also it would mean a Berber player would actually benefit since they could get their land back by supporting rebels and then using the intervention CB. This would also add the first real reason to support rebels other than farming out the cheevo for it.

My real opposition to hcc is a desire to make Tunis more than an Ottoman buffer state.

Of course the paradox response to any complaints is a tear stained middle finger so none of this matters.

It's true, posting in this thread and explaining why we have hostile core-creation is most assuredly the same thing as a 'tear-stained middle finger'. You should find a way to display just how cruelly you are being oppressed by Paradox developers, perhaps by changing your avatar to a rebel flag?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know where you touched him, but some of the ideas here in the thread were better than core creation cost, so please look at them. It just destroys any desire to play in North Africa for me and others.

I don't love hostile core-creation as a mechanic, but I wasn't really convinced that any of the ideas presented would be an actual deterrent. I'll give it some thought though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Because when I see I have to pay extra ADM to conquer provinces, instead of getting upset that my grand strategy plans have been foiled and I have to pay 200 and 300 ADM to core provinces, I smile thinking "well played". Because yeah, it is a bother and will slow me down, and I may have to go after someone else instead if I can.

That, by the way, means that increased coring cost actually works, no matter how much you say it does not. I'm sure wiz can talk about AI taking it into account or not.

The AI absolutely takes it into account, it's just not 'I will never touch high core cost land'.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

420 Gank Mid posted:

Could you elaborate on why you think that stronger/faster-acting/more tenacious rebels or earlygame-centric military bonuses are lacking compared to hostile core-creation?

Ask any person who's played Muscovy what that +1 General Shock pip does to their desire to invade Lithuania so long as there are any other targets left.

Extra rebels aren't a deterrence. There's too many ways to handle them and when was the last time you saw an experienced player lose to rebels, no matter how strong?

Early game military bonuses aren't a deterrence because the player can just stack the odds in their favor anyway.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreyPowerVan posted:

If the player can just win all wars, why bother having war in the game? Just click on provinces to add to your empire if you have enough admin points! Making the wars harder definitely would change how often you want to attack them or if it's even worth it with other targets available. L

There's no way military bonuses can make the Berber states that beefy unless you give them Prussia ideas times ten.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

I've been curious about this, 'cause surely it would be possible to make rebels strong enough to be a threat if you guys wanted them to be right? Has there just been a lot of feedback that people don't find losing to rebels fun, so you guys are hesitant to change them? Or is there some other reason?

People absolutely despise strong rebels, yes. They also make mincemeat out of new players.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dibujante posted:

Despite the development system, the game still doesn't really model population growth. "Base tax" seems like it often represents how productive a region will become, with places like Kiev being tiny backwaters with populations in the low five digits until the Victorian era. Sweden and Norway were in a similar boat - a floor of 3 base tax / province is probably a large overestimate of how developed they were at the time.

On top of that, there was a much greater disconnect between the wealth and population of a nation and the wealth and power of its corresponding state during this time period. Denmark could rely on the sound toll to directly finance its state, which was an ongoing concern. After all, the English Civil War started when Charles I tried to levy a tax instead of relying purely on tonnage and poundage duties to fund his government.

Imagine a world where you have to have a bake sale each time you want to raise a regiment of infantry.

Almost no Scandinavian provs outside Denmark have that much BT. It certainly is not the floor.

Anyhow, development cannot perfectly match history because nations' power did not scale linearly to their population. It's an abstraction of population and general wealth.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 19, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Development being useless is generally an opinion espoused by people who only understand the game in a shallow pure numbers way of thinking.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
List of 1.14 achievements is up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

There's a leaderboard now and graphics for higher level non-European forts in the content pack too.

$20 on the Paradox store. Feels a bit steep but I guess we're paying for the redo of the Random New World too.

There's more paid content in the Cossacks than even Art of War had.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreyPowerVan posted:

Pay someone? For continued release of content?

Hahahahahha are you crazy or what

EDIT: Whelp, I deleted all content and reinstalled and it still crashes when I try to start as any country.

Guess I'm done until that's fixed :(

Do you have mods running?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

code:
######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x00EC9C5B: ACCESS VIOLATION  read attempt to address 0x00000064 
Version: Unknown Version
12/03/15 15:24:20
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_recruit.cpp(732) +38 bytes (CAIRecruitMinister::MaintainFleet)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_recruit.cpp(90) +6 bytes (CAIRecruitMinister::NotifyTick)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_agent.cpp(289) +0 bytes (CAIAgent::Update)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai.cpp(1835) +0 bytes (CEU3AI::DailyUpdate)
c:\jenkins\libs\external_libs2\trunk\tbb\include\tbb\parallel_for.h(91) +33 bytes (tbb::internal::start_for<tbb::blocked_range<int>,`anonymous namespace'::ProcessAIFunctor,tbb::auto_partitioner>::execute)
crashes immediately on unpausing game

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Looking into this right now.

Sindai posted:

I bet someone feels silly about how they named that CEU3AI class these days.

Not as silly as CRomeBitmap!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Average Bear posted:

If you're not a horde. Estates were meant to make internal politics get in the way of expansion. Diplomacy was changed so big allies stop joining your OPM wars.

No. Please stop pretending that you have access to the design document.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yashichi posted:

Portuguese Mexico fought an independence war against Portugal. When Portugal won, they took provinces from Portuguese Mexico, which were immediately returned. The AI has gone insane this patch.

The entire AI has gone insane... ooor the calculation of one variable in the really complex peace AI fails for one specific case. I just don't know which is more likely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Perhaps opinions on Estates might differ a bit depending on what you want out of the game, rather than there being an objectively correct Good or Nongood stance? Most people seem to like them, but they *are* a bit of a divergence from the earlier War focused theme of the game, so it's to be expected everyone won't love them.

• Locked thread