Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

So Common Sense is pretty great? The steam page didnt really sound that amazing

The patch is pretty great, though it seems to have introduced some issues too. I bought Common Sense but haven't tried out many of the features - it doesn't seem to be quite as cool as Art of War but it's worth buying I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Really enjoying the new patch and Common Sense so far, so much so that I bought a bunch of unit packs, music, and even the Muslim advisors pack for some reason. There's some glitches but the HRE is fun, with the forts making territory much more relevant. Siege attrition seems to be very brutal on the attacker, though I did invade Switzerland after all. With the fights I'm getting into I'll be lucky if my Austria can keep Emperor for the whole game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is it normal for an aggressive Austria to get spammed with lots of trade embargoes that get lifted a couple months later? This seems new with 1.12 but there's nothing about it in the hotfix.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can we put a dummies guide to idea groups in the second post? I'm an expansionary-but-still-somehow-Emperor Austria upholding the mighty Catholic faith, and I've got Quantity, Diplomatic, and Economic ideas already. Defensive seems like the most useful, for the army tradition and fort defense bonuses, but I can never remember the usual recommendations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In my Austria run, I've been Emperor all game long. I picked a couple events favoring Catholics and despite the Protestant League having a bunch of members no war ever broke out; Catholicism just became the official religion of the Empire by an event. Kind of weird that the religious schism never came to blows and the Lutherans who dominate the Low Countries and northern Germany don't care that they're totally shut out of the electors. :v:

Weirder yet is the new ability to make your vassals or unions convert religion whether they want to or not. I happened to get a union with Russia (!) and then I ordered them to go Catholic, which they have done really happily:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What are HRE players using to gain Imperial Authority? I've only been getting a trickle, and there are so many heretics in the Empire that it tends to bleed away fast.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

How necessary is Common Sense for playing a smaller country, like a Dutch or German minor? As I understand, you can't increase the number of buildings in a province without it, which seems like it would be a big deal when you start with fewer provinces, but is that much of an issue in practice?

Developing provinces is nice but pretty expensive so it's really only a luxury available if you've got a lot of extra monarch points. The building limit is a big problem for the AI who makes dumb choices but you can just stick to the most important buildings and be fine.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a little annoyed that all the Free Cities have disappeared from the Holy Roman Thunderdome. Whenever I try to restore a OPM, there's some issue with their government - they're a monarchy or theocracy, or just the wrong kind of republic, because dictatorships can't be Free Cities. I realized after I took this screenie that I could have gotten the relationship to 200 which would have just made it over the bar to become a Free City, though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rakthar posted:

It's not gamey, it's modeling the difference between sitting in a palace and being out in a military camp where supplies are limited and disease is more prevalent. What you're describing is the exact tradeoff you're supposed to be weighing. A king is a 'free' general. In the case of a crappy king you want to get rid of, the choice is easy. Do it. In the case of a good king you want to keep, also relatively easy. Don't do it. And anywhere inbetween (like I can only afford 1 general but my king is decent so I do risk him dying hmmm let me check the heir) is the decision making that's supposed to come into play.

I mean it's a historically themed game, when you have kings deliberately throwing themselves into battles in hopes of dying it seems a little silly.

edit also I diplo-integrated Russia, what the heck do I do with it now

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gimnbo posted:

El Dorado got adjusted from 50% off to 75% off for some reason. I don't think anyone's complaining.

The content pack is just $2! Automatic buy at that price.

Apropos of nothing, it would be kind of cool if autonomy were integrated more. Autonomy doesn't have to be strictly bad, though it has been in this series since some EU3 expansion implemented centralization good, decentralization bad. Wouldn't it kind of make sense if more autonomous provinces were easier to core, for instance?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I maybe screwed up by connecting Austria to Russia? Because of that I can't do super-cheap culture conversions in Asia due to the "distant overseas" modifier. I wanted to gain a ton of IA by adding all of Russia to the Empire but I guess that can wait while I convert all of the steppes to Austrian culture. This game makes me a monster!

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 20, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mans posted:

no offense good for you for making a PU with Russia and uniting both crowns and all but jesus those borders are ugly :psyduck:

Aww, you haven't even seen the best part due to the Russian AI. I guess they were scared to fight the steppe hordes?

Also I gave Poland a bit of Provence, and they expanded into Catalonia somehow

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Do I still want to spam temples?

Only in high base tax provinces. I haven't bothered where base tax is 4 or less. Production building seem like more of a moneymaker now too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jabarto posted:

Wiz is posting some interesting things about the upcoming patch on the Paradox forums:

I noticed in the suggestion forum that Wiz is planning to add a larger diplomacy UI in an upcoming patch. Easily modded but still cool, I think.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Err, so my CN New Austria got attacked by CN New Holland. I'm in a regency so I can't declare on anyone, New or Old. Now my troops stationed in New Austria are standing around watching Dutch soldiers overrun it.. this can't be WAD, right?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finished my game with the ugliest human-made borders you ever did see. In game I became a republic via event, switched to constitutional republic, and had a brief liberal period before my guy did an auto-coup to a republican dictatorship. I took humanist ideas for the culture acceptance bonus but I went super Catholic all game, spending a lot of the midgame as emperor smashing all the Protestants. The colonies are so ugly because I took expansion ideas (but not exploration) in the 1700s, and spent a lot of that century acquiring a bunch of American colonial nations and gradually pushing my settlers east.

I really want to see how this world would cope with nationalism; you don't necessarily get a lot of feel for the kind of society you're running in EU4 other than accepted cultures, and I get so sad watching those become unaccepted niche cultures as I expand out of control.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Snake borders are canon for China

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It seems like bullshit that a castle with 1/10th the normal garrison can hold out like that! Do undermanned forts get a penalty to defending or anything?

edit:

Gort posted:

Do you know any particularly egregious examples of this?

Glory (1989)

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 29, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the pro Japan strategy? I slowly integrated all the daimyo, beat up Korea and took the south of their country, and started exploring California and Australia. Unfortunately I'm broke, very behind in tech, and I'm currently losing the second Korean war since Ming decided to play this time. I don't think I'm going to amount to much this game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wow, my guys sure sucked at fighting for having +15% discipline. I guess I should be waiting around at speed 5 more, but it just gets so old. Can I only launch automatic conquistadors in the Americas?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Erm, I ran out of things to auto-explore. I restarted the game but no good, there's no way to explore California like in my last Japan run. Known problem?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well, at least Wiz confirmed things are busted. Can't colonize or explore with the beta patch.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have a Japan game in the mid-1500s, and my colonial nations in South America are starting to run into Portugal's CNs. Can I leverage this somehow to westernize off them? Or am I better off going to Africa to find a European colony to get adjacent with?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

sloshmonger posted:

If you have a colonial region where you don't have a colonial nation yet and can get a colony next to a European core or European CN core, that'd work. Near Maya in Central America may be a good spot for that. But I don't think you can off of your CN being next to their CN.

Interesting -- I had assumed it had to be Portugal proper, but of course Portuguese CNs have western tech too. I can't beat them in a war but I might be able to settle by them in Brazil or Mexico.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

I got a bunch of dutch opm to agree pretty easily. It's only a -50

I think they're more likely to accept Free City if they feel threatened by you, rather than friendly towards you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I hope the devs do something with natives in uncolonized provinces - they spam your conquistadors with pointless battles and you pretty much have to exterminate them with Attack Natives if you want to colonize somewhere like the Philippines. In less aggressive provinces you can simply ignore them and then when your colony becomes a city, the natives disappear and give you a tiny development bonus. The mechanic seems like a holdover from long ago that adds little to the game, and if it were revised and expanded you could have a lot of interesting stuff going on with the assimilation of cultures, with alliance or conflict with natives, etc.

My Japan is now westernized in 1607 and owns several colonial nations, despite the fact that my CNs are all babies who can't defend themselves against indigenous rebels. Time for 200 years of getting into fights with everyone in the world! I'm eager to try out protectorates and trade companies on all my Asian buddies.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is odd - I don't think there's any way for me to take those provinces, because they're surrounded by my CN and therefore I wouldn't be able to make them a core. I can just make them protectorates but the point was to give Japanese Mexico all that sweet gold.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Apoffys posted:

Transfer the occupation to your CN and give them the provinces directly in the peace treaty?

I couldn't figure out a way to give the provinces to the CN - don't think you can transfer occupation to one of your dependencies. I ended up reloading and it seemed to work fine when I went for Aztec first and other countries later.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I haven't messed around with client states too much, but does a released client state count as a prince in the HRE? I'm thinking about releasing Sundgau and Freigrafschaft since they aren't connected with the rest of Austria.

Level 22 in Diplo tech and you haven't conquered your way over there? You bring shame on the House of Habsburg!

Apoffys posted:

This is what happens when France loses 3 big wars in a row, badly, while Austria is being useless:

I haven't really doing much of anything in Europe, so the AI gets the full credit for that mess. The wars of religion haven't happened yet, should be fun...

In my Japan game France is down to Paris and 2 other provinces, in the face of a terrifying GB.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any guides on the new fort system?

I still dont understand any of it except that it takes a lot longer the conquer provinces with the fort icon on it.

- Forts are now expensive, too expensive to build in every province. But they have an area of influence extending to all adjacent provinces, automatically recapturing adjacent provinces if they are occupied by an enemy army. Unfortified provinces take only a month to capture (but will be quickly flipped back if they're by a fortress.)
- A fort's area of influence also prevents enemy troops from walking past the fortress without first capturing it. The ZoC rules are a little abstruse but this means you can actually fortify borders, making wars take longer (no more marching right to the capital) and giving defeated troops a chance at falling back safely.
- You now need 3 times the number of garrison troops to siege a fortress. The siege system is otherwise similar to before Common Sense, I think.
- Forts can be mothballed. This turns them off and depletes the garrison entirely, and cost only half maintainance. But if you do pay full maintenance for current-tech forts you'll get a little bonus to army tradition.
- Capitals get a free mini-fort with no area of influence and 1000 mans.

I think that's most of it? It makes sense during play for the most part.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

This is hilariously amazing. Why do you want to be a republic?

you can take Plutocratic ideas and ultimately get culture acceptance threshold nominally below 0%

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Need some advice in my Japan game. I have a colonial empire including the Philippines and colonial nations all over the Pacific, giving me 10 (!) merchants. But even in 1687 my finances are lousy - in particular, why is my trade income so low? Basically I'm funnelling all the trade to Japan that I can, and collecting in a couple other spots where I have some trade power. My ideas are exploration, quality, admin, expansion, and offensive.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 1, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Hey guys, I played EU3 back in the day and now on a whim I got myself EU4 + plenty of DLC.

What's a good starting point? I'd love to start out in Italy somewhere.

Northern Italy starts are fun. There's a recent change that makes Italy leave the HRE about 50 years after the game starts, so there's less hassle in that regard. You can slowly conquer as one of the city states or get more involved in the Eastern Mediterranean scene as Venice or Genoa.

edit: Yeah, probably makes sense to start with a more powerful nation if you're new to EU4's systems; a lot has changed.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 4, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bel Monte posted:

Cross posting from the crusader kings thread, Common Sense is $3.74 right now here: http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4547/Europa-Universalis-IV-Common-Sense/
You can pick up a cheap horse lords DLC there too for the same price if you like CKII.

Thanks for posting this!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bet it would be easy to make the AI especially concerned about events in its own region, and attempt to dominate that region. Sounds like that's planned for a future patch?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want a late game DLC bad. Like, introduce some new tech-related mechanics to make things a little more zany when you've done all the map painting you feel like. Common Sense had some promise of this but it didn't really pan out (though the other changes are nice, don't get me wrong). It's just a disappointment to hit that phase where substantial challenge is gone in the 1700s and there's not much to be done to prepare your country for the future.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Another thing that can be a little frustrating with warscore, is that the AI doesn't often build forts in places like colonized provinces. So that means you can control a ton of these provinces (like, all of Siberia) and still get only +0.10 warscore for each province, which the AI won't even let you demand because you haven't sieged down the nearest fort which is 2000 miles west of there. I understand that under most circumstances it makes sense to make forts super important for warscore, but I'm not sure that applies if the AI refuses to build them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Are colonial nation rebellions a little wonky for you all? Twice this game I supported a CN's independence, went to war over it, and seemed to win the war (the parent nation had to give some stuff up)... but the CN is still a subject after the war. Here's it happening with Portugal.

Also have some border gore. I love colonizing and fighting over the Americas.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 30, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Independence is a specific demand a revolting subject has to make in the peace deal, otherwise they remain in the same diplomatic configuration with their overlord as ante-bellum, even if the overlord makes other concessions to them. If you start a game as Sweden and go to war with Denmark for your independence and only peace out for the Danish provinces on your side of the Sound you will remain in a PU under Denmark.

That's WAD? Weird, it doesn't make any intuitive sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

OK, I'm thinking of buying the rest of the most obscure DLC because I love extra cosmetic crap. Is the "Digital Extreme Edition Upgrade Pack" any good? Also looking at the Karais soundtrack, the Call-to-Arms Pack, and American Dream for a whopping $6.71, if anyone can comment on the quality of those.

• Locked thread