Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

RabidWeasel posted:

One thing I would seriously consider at this point is increasing the base MP generation to 4/4/4, especially since one of the main complaints about MP costs being high is that you can get hosed on one type of income with bad ruler stats. 7 points per month with a 0 stat ruler, +1 adviser and focus seems pretty acceptable - that means maybe 3 years income to take a high value province. On the other hand your 5 stat +2 adviser guy with focus is only going from 12 to 13 points of income. There's a ton more MP sinks in general than there used to be and everything is more expensive on top of that so a general increase in income seems fair.

Also maaaybe diplo annex could get made a tiny bit cheaper since it feels like a worse deal now than just straight up annexing provinces, doubly so if you grab Admin ideas early. I guess they really want people to use marches.

Furthermore, increased coring costs must be destroyed.

Wouldn't admin ideas reduce diploannexation cost? I thought diploannexing used your modified coring cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Here's a ZOC scenario I want to double check on. I was allied with Switzerland and at war with Austria. Switzerland is in the war on my side against Austria. Austria owns Sundgau but it has been sieged and is occupied. Austria moves an army up from Milan into the province just south of Bern, which is covered by the fort in Bern, then into Bern, then through Bern into occupied Sundgau. Should they be able to do that?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Cantorsdust posted:

When is the hotfix dropping?

They said "As early as possible on Friday"

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Elman posted:

How do you get army tradition now? I'm playing Ottomans, it's 1590 and I'm about to westernize after conquering Vienna, yet I still haven't unlocked the Janissaries event cause I can't reach 50 AT despite going Defensive as my second idea. AT from sieges is so much lower than it used to be.

Jumping into every battle you possibly can I guess. They supposedly doubled the AT you get from battles, since people tend to want to play smart and attack when they have an advantage, the base AT gain from battles was so low to begin with that you probably end up still getting 0.2 AT for a single battle or something.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Elman posted:

To be fair, the AI suffers from it too so it's not a huge deal.
Yeah, that's true. Maybe high AT should be an anomaly instead of the norm, but the decay seems harsh enough that you tend to either be really low or really high. It's not really a normal distribution which seems off

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Node posted:

Good fixes, does it address the whole "rebels spawning and giving ten years of separatism in a month's siege" issue? It doesn't appear so unless I am misreading it.

Rebels aren't supposed to add separatism or change religions in a province if the province borders a fort they don't control I think. At least that's what a paradox employee said on the paradox forums the other day

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Hmmmm

When I took the first option, my union with Holland broke but it didn't mention that as an effect, it was just replacing my monarch. The second option was some kind of bribe to myself?? (I am Burgundy)

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

canepazzo posted:

Are rebels really supposed to siege and give separatism/religious unrest in 1 siege cycle in forts Zone of Control provinces? Cause if so, that's really, really dumb - even having one army in the area I can only take care of one rebel army before they siege down, if 2-3 spawn you're getting the penalties.
No, not if the province is next to an active fort

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

canepazzo posted:

The only zones that slow down rebel sieges are zones with a fort in them, the adjacent ones still get sieged down in 1 cycle; they still get back under your control if the army moves out, but you're still getting the separatism/religious zeal.

They provinces adjacent to a fort DO get captured in 1 siege tick by rebels, but they should not get separatism/zeal/etc. from rebel occupation unless the fort falls too. If this isn't correct, then the paradox employee who answered this question was either wrong or was talking about a future change.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Anyone who uses the word mana when describing eu4 basically isn't worth regarding as an actual human with a brain

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Baronjutter posted:

Are you sure manpower doesn't increase force limits? I was a few units short to have a bunch of identical stacks (every unit must be standardized!!) so I built a bunch of manpower around my empire and a couple months later I had the needed expanded force-limits.
If you increased development, that increases force limits. Otherwise, surprise force limits changes are generally due to local autonomy changes

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Eimi posted:

Especially now, how the gently caress do you core everything? :psyduck:
Since that Admin Efficiency thing from late admin tech affects core cost now too in addition to warscore costs, it lets you core stuff really cheaply later on. It's additive too, so that 50% + 25% from Admin Ideas + whatever from Ottoman ideas lets you core even the most developed province in the world for like 30-40 monarch points.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is that thing where you can make wasteland you surround your country colour still a non-ironman thing?

Yes, it's not in game options for some reason so you have to change a define value in some config file which alters the checksum

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that'll be pretty huge, it'll make buying development fairly competitive with conquering or integrating. Base 50 MP per dev, toss in discounts from Econ, university and you can get that down to ~25 or so which is similar to core/integrate cost.

Improving provinces more will be fun, but I'm worried there will be too much wealth everywhere. I kind of wish that base tax and base production were more different. One is an income generator and the other is the better income generator. Base manpower is much better differentiated in comparison

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I get the idea that they are thematically different sources of income but as far as gameplay goes, they are both just income sources and production is the better one. I think base tax needs something to differentiate it, like maybe an effect on tech or idea cost, or better advisors/generals/admirals to simulate having a bigger pool of rich people to grab officials from

I'm not even sure if I like either of those ideas would work well, I'm just brainstorming

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
WARNING: AI borders! Only click if you have a strong stomach!

http://i.imgur.com/S6LoBkS.jpg

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Trujillo posted:

Anyone else noticing weird stuff with the AI just sitting there?

Venice and Castile have been sitting in this province for probably around 3 years now. The next year they're just sitting there and even bring a few more troops to sit there.

Same with the rest of my allies. It's like everyone's AI turned off except for the Ottomans.

Hopefully this is something fixed in the patch or maybe the AI just did the math and realized they weren't going to beat the Ottomans so it's better just to sit and wait till they annex me.

I've noticed the ai go into sleep mode before for some counties. I've seen it multiple times in the past with Castile mostly just sitting there while getting occupied, or rebuilding single regiments and just leaving them sitting around and not merging. It's been a while since I've seen that exactly, but I've noticed my colonial nations go brain dead more recently

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Holy mackerel @ some of these patch notes:

quote:

# War
- Will now sortie against weak rebel stacks.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would not gather newly built armies due to incorrectly calculating moves as unsafe
- Will now build more transports.
- Will now retreat from naval combats that it is clearly losing.
- Less interested in launching naval invasions of minor allies in a war, especially if those minor allies are out of supply range.
- Should now avoid walking into provinces that are effectively suicide because of natives.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would ignore other countries' units when considering whether a province had enough supply limit for them, under certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would consider the strength of attached units when calculating relative power to another country (leading to increased LD, etc).
- Fixed a bug where the AI would not look at the size of attached units when considering whether a province had too low supply limit for their army

Full list: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-patch-1-13-full-patchnotes.866143/

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

gross

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: /\//\/\ the movement near/around forts does need some fine tuning, I agree.

This is a good point. The Ottomans sieged a number of forts in Hungary while the rest of their army continued deeper into the country to go siege Vienna
This may be true but it's also true that they did this in real life and not in eu4. The way forts block movement now is great for gameplay.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm not sure if super development of provinces is broken, or it's just something that we're not used to yet but is intended to be the new normal. It's jarring to see a province with like 60 base tax when we're used to considering something with like 15 base tax as "insanely high", but is that inherently a bad thing to have bigger numbers as long as it's built with the intention of achieving them?

My main gripe would be that if you look at provinces at the start of the game, a province with around 6 total development you can look at as some sparsely populated rural area and then you look at a province with like 20 development and you have to imagine it as this bustling center of production and trade with a high population, but then if you look at those same 2 provinces 300 years in and they are 56 development and 70 development, it kind of all starts bleeding together and feels like 'massive wealth and population everywhere'.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Cool idea: Max points custom nation with all of the best ideas, but limit yourself to only 1 console command per year

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Emperor of Cornwall?

Oh lmao

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

VDay posted:

What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

I think most Tabarestan strategies revolve around releasing your other province as a 1 province Persia, then using powerful alliance to get cores back for them and/or waiting for the Timurids to explode and getting your Persia a ton of provinces for free. Then diploannex them, then form Persia.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
In my current game when the league war ended and Protestant became the official religion of the HRE, it made Cornwall the emperor, which owned enough on its own. But now all of the electors have wiped each other out and nothing exists that can elect a different emperor and Cornwall is refusing to appoint new electors. So they have de facto permanent HRE inheritance even though only 1 reform is passed

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm playing a Papal States game and these centers of reformation won't leave me alone. Like 75% of my country is wrong religion and there's nothing to do about it. What a big fart.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Thinking about grabbing a ~space game~

Anyone who has played both Galactic Civilizations 3 and Distant Worlds: Universe who wants to give me a run down on which one I should go with?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Contingency Plan posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion what to call my Ottoman eastern america colonial nation?

The Janissary Shuffle

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Transmetropolitan posted:

I had Haiti conquering Valencia and Lousiana. This is almost as bad.

My favorite distant occupation I've seen is Haiti occupying Kyoto and parts of Korea. But they ended up not taking anything.

Bonus pic: Wu

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Have you ever considered making attrition in deserts intense? Like 10%+ more attrition? But give countries that start in that type of terrain a national bonus that negates it. Maybe it can be negated by other nations later in game by tech, or a national idea.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
This is the best

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm convinced that I don't really like the army tradition mechanic at all. It's kind of like prestige, but you only really get it with certain idea groups. The bonuses it provides are buried in tooltips and in stronger generals. But the same idea groups that give more army tradition also give explicit bonuses to the same things AT affects in a more straightforward way. It's just weird.

I've also never been a fan for all of eu4's existence of the army/navy to leader ratio. I like having my armies and navies under someone's command, but the penalty for going over the soft leader cap is harsh. While I'm complaining, I might as well say I don't like instant stack wipes either. Lots of the mechanics around combat still seem like bad relics from eu3 and earlier.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Maybe each of the estates should have a pool of leaders you can use, but each one you use adds influence/power to their estate

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Shroud posted:

Speaking of which, I'd start taking Espionage if there was an idea that reduced the enemy's effective fort level. Just throwing that out there.

Don't talk crazy!

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Trujillo posted:

The downside of gaining morale when you win:

It's blocked by the box but my army shattered and ran to Nantes. With a slightly better dice roll I probably would've won that battle and eventually won the war but French morale immediately filled back up and wiped my whole 64 regiment army.

E: There's also an allied-in-war Brittany fort in Anjou so I don't even see how the French ran to Nantes because they ran into its zone of control when they walked into Armor and right past it when they walked into Nantes. Hopefully the hotfix deals with that? I don't understand ZoC. I assume it's because they have a fort in Normandy but I don't get why that makes them able to ignore the fort in Anjou.

It used to be that if you walked into a fort zoc, you could only move into the fort or back out. On Cossacks release they changed it so that if you entered a fort's zoc, you could go anywhere inside of that zoc or something. But it sounds like it just got switched back in the hotfix

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Just started a Mamluks game, and I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I could go for Arabia I guess. Exploration or Expansion might be good if I want to sneak over to southeast Asia or colonize all of Africa for maximum map painting. Not sure if I'll need religious ideas or not if I can just plop down Ulema estates to help with conversions in rough spots. Any thoughts about that? I haven't played Mamluks much, what's fun to do with them?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Dibujante posted:

Actually I'm going to diverge here. I think that's actually kind of amazing for country customization. For example, Prussia needs its own noble faction called "Junkers" that don't create a noble republic and Prussia should probably let them sit on 100% influence at all times. Also Junkers should give discipline bonuses. The default Prussian bonuses should be scaled back a bit.

In fact, I'm not sure that factions should ever change government type. I think it should be entirely viable to declare "This faction runs the country" as a way of hyper-specializing yourself.

These are pretty cool ideas.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So this is what if feels like make it big...

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I think I'm just starting to feel like Eu4 is taking too many extra things on. Like the UI is running out of little nooks and crannies to effectively display all of this information and provide a meaningful way to interact with the new things.

So I end up really liking the new features that are modifications to the core functions of eu4, like the new fort system came in and that was cool, war is a centerpiece of eu4. The new diplomatic interaction stuff from Cossack: cool, ok, diplomacy is a core function in eu4. But then estates is just this new thing off to the side. But it doesn't feel like it's a core part of the game while still being pretty important. I have to keep this tab on my country menu open off to be side more often than I have to look at any of the other tabs, or try to decipher he new map mode etc.

I guess my favorite eu4 expansions are ones that are more along the lines of "here's a cool new way that we are dramatically changing up an existing feature" rather than "here's this entirely new thing", as nice as it may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Basically I want to set up a monthly direct deposit into wiz's bank account and then have him keep tweaking war/units/leaders/combat endlessly

• Locked thread