Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So, uh, my game won't launch at all. I played as the Teutonic Order to try out the new Theocracy and fort/zone of control mechanics, got about 30 years in and quit for dinner. Now I cannot launch the game at all, despite having restarted my computer, Steam, and verifying the game cache twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So I've tried the following:

restart computer
restart Steam
verify cache
start game from Steam library

x3 with no progress, nothing happens after trying to launch the game. Then I reverted to the last patch, re-downloaded this patch, tried the above. No luck.

Guess, uh, I'll wait a few days? :smith:

Edit: and I just redownloaded the entire game by hitting "delete local content," it still will not launch despite playing without any problems an hour ago.

I'm really disappointed that I'm literally unable to play the game. I can tolerate launch-day gameplay bugs, but what the gently caress?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 10, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Got my game working, had to delete my Documents/Paradox folder and that did it.

My early impressions sound like pretty much everyone else in the thread. MPs feel really tight, notably Imperial Integrity no longer exists, add to that the increased coring costs and points are much more precious in the HRE (I've been playing the TO and joined up). On the flip side, less AE and I've been able to conquer pretty rapidly through the HRE without being in much danger of coalitions.

The changes to forts and zone of control seem to make wars shorter and bloodier, I really enjoy the strategic depth the new system adds.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

I like my England game, it's kind of easy to force the personal union over France, but literally all of Europe freaks out and coalitions against you.

Anyway, how should I be building forts? I just survived a bitch of a punitive war and I'm wondering if I should sink all my loot into building 2 border forts or into building up the economy.

Do forts add to military upkeep cost?

Also, to contribute to the previous fort chat, I think you basically have to keep a force of 10-15k mercenaries just to deal with fort sieges cause they can eat manpower.

As England, you'll want forts on the continent and in the Channel (your wooden wall :v:). Forts block movement through their zones of control and also flip occupied provinces, so they force your opponent to siege the fort to be able to march armies through or hold the controlled territory. Forts also require many more men to execute a siege and can give pretty brutal attrition. England will want forts on the continent so your provinces don't get occupied in one month, and they're probably better on low-development and hostile terrain provinces to contribute to attrition.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Regarding Army Tradition, I took Aristocratic as my first military idea on my current TO -> Prussia (get yo goosesteppin' on) and it's been really nice. The removal of Embassies makes the +1 Diplomat pretty handy, and tighter MPs (and loss of Imperial Integrity's -10% tech cost) make that -10% Mil tech discount attractive. It's not as much actual military strength as the other military idea sets, but the individual ideas that seemed kinda oddball before are now very useful.

Also worth noting that Quality is easily competitive with Quantity again, I'd say. There's a potential +2 yearly AT from going Defensive + Quality.

Edit: I should point out that the "Reform into Prussia" decision the TO gets will remove your nation and all provinces from the HRE. So, uh, be aware of that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fuligin posted:

So what's the strategy for a TO start? It's 1459 and I'm boxed in between allied Pommerania, Brandenburg, and Poland-Lithuania.

Suck up to Austria until you can join the HRE, which isn't too difficult. Get another ally, Denmark, Bohemia, Hungary, maybe Muscovy. Go to town.

Once you're in the HRE expanding into Pommerania is pretty easy, and you can beat up the LO too and push eastward. Conserve manpower for the inevitable P/L dogpile, you're in a good position to just hide behind your forts and let them attrite themselves, you can pick your fights.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
There were a few posts here about the new event that removes Italy from the HRE if you don't control all of the Kingdom of Italy between 1490-1550.

It's not at all tough to do if you start as Austria, though probably near impossible as anyone else. Note that you need to add each province in the Kingdom of Italy region to the HRE, which means conquering and coring a bunch of high-value Italian provinces. Specifically, you need Verona, Treviso, and Friuli from Venice (but NOT Venezia itself thankfully) and the entirety of the Papal State + their vassal Urbino. You can do that in 2-3 wars each and it will put you behind a couple ADM techs, just keep your national focus on ADM and you can manage it by 1480 no problem. After I cored all of the Papal State and added the provinces to the HRE, I released Urbino as a vassal, sold them the Papal provinces and then canceled vassalization.

Edit: to clarify, the ADM point cost is high but you'll catch back up no problem if you keep your national focus set to it. Just don't plan on taking an ADM idea line early or doing much coring otherwise.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 14, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm playing the Hansa and I'm not sure what the danger level for republican tradition is since I don't play republics much. I want good rulers, but at the same time I don't want to destabilize my country. My tradition is always above 85 and I rarely leave a guy in office for more than two terms. How safe is it to keep a ruler around for a while, especially now that monarch points can be used directly for improving your provinces' base tax and they add up fast if you can get, say, a 7/3/3 guy?

I'd have to dig around in the event files for specifics (I may do that in a bit), but you don't start getting bad events until well below 50 RT. At low enough RT you get bad events that tank it further so you don't want to go too far, but I try and keep it above 70. The only significant hurt from lowering RT is Stability costs quite a bit, otherwise there are no real penalties. Thankfully you don't take Stab hits on leader succession or dying in battle, so always make your leader a general pretty much.

You can't get a 7/3/3 guy, best is 6 in any stat. Re-electing more than twice (once to 5/2/2 and again to 6/3/3) has pretty bad returns obviously.

What I like to do is re-elect twice for maximum monarch points, then elect someone new. Is he young and a good general? Maybe keep him around. If he's old and/or a lovely general, probably toss him after one term and save up some RT.

It's worth noting that Power Projection gives you +yearly RT, 0.1 per every 20 PP. So not tons, but it definitely adds up. Privateer and embargo the gently caress out of your rivals, it's a better use of light ships than protecting trade.

Edit: see if you can maintain 40 PP, that's 0.2 RT per year which is the same as the policies you can get and very significant. 50 would be even better for +1 each MP but that's hard to maintain. You get:

+15 for 3 long-term rivals
up to +10 privateering each rival
a handful of points for embargoes

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 14, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

So if I'm France and somehow form HRE I'd have french and german accepted and could rule most of europe?!

Not quite I don't think. France is the French cultural union tag, either Germany or a unified (Renovatio, last reform) HRE is the German cultural union tag. If you formed the HRE from France, you'd have Francien as primary culture, cultural union for all Germanics, but since you switched tags you lose the cultural union on the French. They'd still be same culture group but not fully accepted automatically.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to merge vassals? They count towards your diplomatic relations so I can't ever have more than 3 or so. I guess annex one and give the provinces to another? I sort of wish vassals alone didn't count towards dip relations. I'd love to just have every german minor a vassal rather than expand at all.

Revoke the Privilegia :getin:

No, there's no way to merge vassals like that. One thing to be careful about is having non-Western tech marches and feeding them too quickly. I've seen Eastern tech and quickly expanded marches fall really far behind on tech.

Muscovy/Russia seems to be a complete pushover this patch and gets rolled by Novgorod, Kazan, even Perm. I think this may be largely due to the fort changes, they have a couple forts near Moscow and much of their provinces will be undefended by zones of control. Similarly they blow a lot more manpower on sieges and can't really handle their several hostile neighbors.

I haven't seen the Burgundian Inheritance fire yet this patch, either.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah sometimes you just need to do some trial and error to figure out the optimal flow to your treasury. Sometimes getting more raw ducats in your node comes at the expense of less going to your treasury, but usually the reverse is true. It's better to have 60% control over a 30 ducat node than 90% control over a 10 ducat node. And of course don't be afraid to move your trade capital!

I really do wish you could have multiple collection points. For instance if you are playing france and have both the english channel and southern france/italy on lock down you fully control 2 end-nodes but can only extract without major penalty from one. There's a lot of quirks to the trade system but it doesn't really aim to be realistic or even an abstraction of much, it's just a game feature to add an interesting mechanic.

The most confusing part about trade is there are so many variables that go into the calculations and various modifiers that are a little hard to evaluate relative to each other. For example (correct me if I'm wrong):

Global/Domestic/Abroad Trade Power and Trade Income do exactly that
Trade Efficiency is like a combination of the above and boosts both income and power, therefore awesome
Caravan Power modifies your inland trading merchants, who get up to +50 base trade power from your development (easy to get)
Trade Steering boosts your nodes where you have a merchant doing Transfer Trade Power

Then to top it all off you've got boats and privateers and embargoes and Naval Tradition which massively boosts Trade Steering.

I'm not entirely sure how all those are calculated but a lot are multiplicative with each other.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

The biggest disappointment for me is removing the unique buildings. I liked them, and late game without the bonus leaders is really annoying. To say nothing of losing the Embassy.

I wasn't kidding when I said Aristocratic was actually pretty good now, because you get +1 Diplomat, +1 Leader slot and -10% Mil tech in addition to some decent military stuff like the +25% manpower, cav bonuses, and -1% tradition decay. It's still not the strongest military idea by a long shot, but a lot of the stuff that was previously underwhelming is now really useful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Has anyone noticed the AI Austria isn't getting its special government, Archduchy, now? It does call itself an Archduchy from 1444 (which is new,) but when you hover over it, its a Feudal Monarchy. They've never gotten the event in the two games I've played so far, and remain a monarchy throughout the game.

The event got commented out in the last patch, dunno why. You're stuck as a Duchy-level government and start as a Feudal Monarchy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
One somewhat subtle but overall beneficial change: missionary strength is reduced by -0.1% per development, previously it was -0.5% per basetax. That will make conversions quite a bit easier overall, for example Constantinople used to be 16 basetax -8% chance and nearly impossible to convert when stacked with Sunni. Now it'd need to be 80 development to have a similar conversion difficulty, which is bonkers huge.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Can Austria elevate itself to a Kingdom? I would expect the King-level title for Austria to be Archduke, though I haven't even looked at the requirements for upgrading, and how attainable that might be for the AI.

It's pretty lovely, actually. You're stuck at Duchy level as a "regular member of the HRE," maybe if you're an elector you can upgrade to King? Austria's unique government form is completely out of the game this patch, though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So there's one minor and one more significant change I'd suggest after having played quite a bit of Common Sense:

-Revert the claim discount to 20-25% coring cost rather than 10%. This encourages the player to claim stuff (AE is easier to manage so fabrication ahoy!) and rewards them with a better discount. Monarch points feel really tight right now and this would help with that while making claiming provinces more worthwhile.

-Rework the Power Projection values and add in some of the removed unique building bonuses. It's tough for many nations to maintain 25 PP for +1 leader and near impossible to maintain 50 for the +1 MPs. There's currently no real reason to go above 50 and it's very difficult to do so for any length of time. I'd suggest tweaking PP generation (might have to mess with rivals too) and doing something for bonuses like:

20 PP = +1 leader slot
40 PP = +1 Diplomat, +1 Relations slot
60 PP = +1 leader slot, maybe something else??
80 PP = +1 MP income

Right now PP is kind of pointless, this would reward you for actually putting effort into it and also bring back the quality of life bonuses from the unique buildings that got removed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really lazy with army management. I have set template built stacks and in war I will never split them up because then I'll have to deal with sorting them all out after the war. So I'll sit there sieging with my 28 stack one fort at a time even with no enemy resistance because the idea of splitting an army up gets me all OCD.

Now that manpower actually seems to matter maybe I should stop that? What are some good army strategies? I know nothing about actually min-maxing combat other than "don't attack into mountains" the rest is unpredictable wizardry to me.

:can: 10/2/8 or 8/4/8 are good 20-stack splits depending on how much cavalry you want and can afford. Before mil tech 16 or the year 1600 or so, artillery are mostly useful for sieging and a full back line of them is not a great investment.

I find it works best to detach siege (with a good Siege stat general if possible) and send the remainder of your stack to occupy and loot nearby provinces. You'll save on attrition from parking the whole stack on the fort and looting is a lot of gold, meanwhile the entire stack is nearby if enemy armies try to come break your siege.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I usually always do 100% Infantry, 2 cav, 50% arty for my mid-game armies. I don't know why always 2 cav but I remember reading somewhere they are only useful for flanking.

I sort of wish we had some slightly HoI style army management to an extent. So you'd create an army, which would be a set thing with all units permanently assigned to that army, but it could split up and raid provinces or spread out or carpet-siege as needed, but then re-form at the push of a button.

Cav's unique aspect is their longer flanking range. Generally yeah 2 is all you need to take advantage of that (more later as you tech up). However, as I understand it cav are simply stronger per unit than infantry for the first half of the game though 2.5x more expensive. Later once artillery becomes more powerful and infantry get better Fire modifiers, having a cav-heavy army is less attractive since their defensive Fire pips are bad and they will get creamed by Fire-heavy armies.

The only way this wouldn't be the case is if cav gets penalties to defensive pips while fighting in rough terrain. That was a thing in EU3 and I've read thread posts claiming it applies in EU4 as well but I've seen no documentation or anything to confirm.

You only need a handful of cav per army to make use of their flanking ability, but if you can afford it (and particularly if you have bonuses to cav combat ability and so on) having a higher cav ratio for the first half of the game (before 1600 or so) is stronger than straight infantry.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Do enough cavalry combat bonuses do enough to counteract this? (assuming you're in a tech group where that doesn't put you in danger of going under the "insufficient support" threshhold). I've been playing a lot of Aristocratic-Quality-Persia games lately and trying to figure out a good inf-cav balance in that context.

axeil posted:

So how much should Poland or other countries that get Cav bonuses use?

Cav combat ability just doubles down on the strengths of cavalry and does nothing for their weaknesses. I would say as many horsies as you want and can afford up to a reasonable proportion (don't want to get too close to your support limit) before ~1600, after that cut back. The meta of military unit progression in the game goes something like this:

First half of the game, cav do way more damage per unit than infantry, and infantry is more Shock-focused. Early artillery is not very damaging and plays more of a support role, most important in sieges.

As tech progresses, infantry catch up to cav in overall weapon modifiers and infantry becomes more Fire-focused. Artillery gets a ton more Fire damage in the second half of the game. Cavalry has bad Fire pips, which means as Fire damage from infantry and artillery improve they become more fragile.

It's a gradual shift but I think the break point is roughly 1600 and mil tech 16. After that artillery gets massively more powerful.

Edit: personally since I like horsies I will do something like 8-10 / 4 / X earlier in the game where X isn't usually more than 4 artillery, plus some merc infantry. Midgame onward I'll run 8/4/8 and toss in 2-4 mercenary infantry with each 20 stack.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 16, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I can't even wrap my head around WC's. I've been playing this game since it came out and the best I can ever do is maybe half of europe before the game ends.

I'm even worse, I'll get to like 1600-1650 and be doing amazing and think I might have a chance at it but just get bored because it's so slow and such tedious micromanagement of a huge empire.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Is it possible for a conquistador to actually find the Seven Cities or is it just a cocktease?

Yeah, it doesn't seem super common but you can get a permanent nation modifier that's +0.5 Prestige/year or something for finding El Dorado, plus a pile of cash. I'll double check the event files in a bit.

Winning the HYW as England is super easy right now, you'll get coalition warred almost immediately because enforcing the PU generates something silly like 65 AE, but that's ok just release a couple of French-region nations and peace out. France will keep their cores on them so you can get them back easily. France also doesn't seem too rebellious, surprisingly.

Hungary somehow got really scary. They have more development starting out than Austria, pretty good trade goods and lots of farmland and plains provinces surrounded by the Carpathians and other defensible terrain. I might have to try out the Hungary achievement for owning Austria, shouldn't be too hard to take Vienna and get a free Westernization in the process. Hungary has pretty decent NIs, too.

Edit: there are a boatload of modifiers you can get for finding any of the Seven Cities, though seem pretty rare. Yearly prestige, base tax income, trade power.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 17, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah there's up to 7 permanent prestige modifiers IIRC. Or if they aren't permanent they just last like 200 years. Basically the fountain of youth has an event where your like 'dang, its not real. now lets bottle it up and sell it to suckers!'

They're permanent and there are like 7-8, one for each of the fabled Seven Cities and the Fountain of Youth. It's fairly rare to get any one of them and I'm not sure if it's possible to get multiple, the events file is huge and I don't feel like reading through the code right now. Suffice to say a small but significant probability you get one if you explore most of the New World with a conquistador. They give stuff like +0.5 yearly Prestige, 10% Trade Power, 5 base tax income, stuff like that. Nice but nothing game-breaking and entirely random.

Node posted:

I'm going to try Poland and go for the three achievements. Winged Hussars, Poland Can Into Space, and One King to Rule. What idea groups, and in what order, would be optimal? I know Aristocracy will make a rare appearance at some point since it has +cavalry combat and a diplomat (which I might need now) as well as the military tech discount. There is also Administrative for its usual core creation discount and administrative tech discount - same goes for Diplomatic. And I think I would either need Religious or Humanist once I form the Commonwealth and have a bunch of cultures and Orthodox provinces. Humanist sounds preferable over Religious, since it gets idea cost discounts, and Catholics get a bunch of policies that give them missionary strength anyway.

Anyone have any advice on idea order?

Definitely take Aristocractic as your first military idea. Poland has killer military NIs and a monstrous bulldog in the form of Lithuania, so you can definitely get by not taking one of the "stronger" military idea sets. One of the penalties for keeping a domestic ruler is -1 Diplomat, so that's even better on top of losing the Embassy building. Go Humanist rather than Religious, you have +3 Heretic Tolerance and -15% culture threshhold from NIs so it fits perfectly. Plus, the basetax/development increase to missionary conversion % got nerfed with Common Sense, so it's much easier to convert provinces than it was before even without Religious.

Catholics don't necessarily get better missionaries than Protestants or Reformed, so pick whichever appeals to you most. Reformed is good, Protestant is *amazing* now with the changes. Unless you have a dominating amount of pope points I'd honestly go Protestant, it's better than Catholic in every way unless you're raking in huge Papal Influence.

You want to conquer and core Danzig from the TO as soon as possible to get your free Westernization, which you were going to do anyway but it's icing on the cake.

The exact ordering of ideas will depend on your ruler stats and random events, but since you'll be wanting to conquer the TO and don't have a pressing need for Dip tech, probably take Diplomatic or Influence first. AE is a lot less of an issue than previously so Influence is not an obvious win over Diplomatic, but it will make integrating Mazovia a lot cheaper for example.

I would probably go Influence, Humanist, Aristocratic in roughly that order. Then it's up to you, Economic is amazing and if you weren't planning on forming the Commonwealth and inheriting a bunch of Orthodox provinces I'd recommend it heartily as first admin idea. Quality is much better with the +1 Army Tradition and you'll need it for Hussars achievement. I would suggest Diplomatic, Economic, any of the military ideas but Naval to fill things out, your preference. Trade is alright but you are probably plenty wealthy especially if you have Economic.

Personally I'd probably end up with something like:
Influence, Aristocratic, Humanist, Quality, Economic, Diplomatic (not necessarily that order)
+pick 2 of Offensive, Defensive, Quantity

Edit: regarding missionaries, previously it used to be -0.5% missionary strength per basetax. Now, it's -0.1% per development, and 2.5 dev is roughly equal to 1 basetax. So the conversion difficulty from province basetax/development essentially got halved with Common Sense. Religious seems really unappealing right now.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Thanks for reminding me I didn't play a Prussia game yet in CS, I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow!

Prussia is stronger than ever IMO. Their last NI got tweaked from 5% Production to 5% development cost and Protestantism is amazing now. +1 Tolerance, 10% tax, +5% morale, +2.5% Discipline, +10% manpower recovery :getin:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

I was actually looking at a TO->Prussia game as well after changing my mind about going for the Bengal Tiger achievement, and have a bunch of random questions since I've never played a central European country before.

Does going Influence then Defensive seem like a decent plan for an early game diplo-annexing TO? I figure that'll let me set up a decent powerbase before the switch, with the idea being to get Religious around the time the reformation happens pretty much solely for Deus Vult. Then switch to Prussia and follow that up with Offensive or Quality to make my army even more ridiculous. Like I said I've never played in the HRE or central Europe before, so is my made-up timeline reasonable at all? Or am I off by like 50 years and should take an admin idea on my way to the others?
Phone posting so sorry for double post.

Influence and Def is great tho AE is less of an issue. Religious I wouldn't bother, you don't have many off religion neighbors to use the CB and conversion is a lot easier in CS. Keep in mind forming Prussia as the TO will remove you and all your provinces from the HRE.

My last game I went Economic, Aristocratic, Defensive, Innovative, Quality. Probably finish that off with Offensive and I guess maybe I should get a Dip idea.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

So often when starting a new game I'll check out the trade map and see how all the nodes go as I tend to play around trade. Even since common sense when you are in the new-game map and switch to trade view it will show all the trade regions but it doesn't show the nodes or connections. Is this a bug or something new?

Someone posted a few pages back that it's a display bug with some UI/visual mods that haven't been updated for CS trade nodes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Diploannexing the TO is completely unnecessary. I mean you could, but I'd honestly rather just double down on my strengths right out of the gate. So ally with Poland and Austria day 0, wait for Poland to form their union with Lithuania, then declare war on the TO to retake Neumark. Use a couple infantry to siege that down in the first month, then go try and get troops on Konigsberg, or barring that, anyone of the TO's ducal Prussian provinces (because we're going for maximum pretty borders of course). Park your focus on Military, take Neumark and Konigsberg in the peace (you won't be able to core Konigsberg yet, that doesn't matter), then set your sights on Pommerania. Snag a coastal province or three off them, and then you can core Konigsberg. Then take the Prussian expansion mission and conquer the rest of ducal Prussia. Then just take as many military ideas as the game will let you. You're going to want Defensive/Aristocratic/Quality to max out AT, which will let you roll hilarious god generals.

Religious is unnecessary, take Economic instead. Influence is OK, but only because there isn't anything better to take in the diplomatic group. Maybe Trade.

Yeah pretty much agree with all this, I have a great ~1650 TO game in Common Sense I need to wrap up this weekend and will post some screens of Maximum Prussia :getin:

Economic is great and you're in a good position to expand vertically. AE is still something to keep an eye on, but it's not nearly as limiting as previous patches and you'll find yourself constrained mostly by MPs and manpower than AE or OE. Religious conversion is much easier, roughly half the contribution from base tax, especially in Europe where there aren't many Muslims or Orthodox with conversion penalties it's easy. Also you're the TO and have conversion NIs, go solid Protestant before you hit the Prussia button. For those reasons Religious and Humanist aren't too appealing IMO. Influence is a good pick but I would highly recommend finding an extra Diplomat or two if you are going to expand by vassal integration. It takes a long loving time and you're probably stuck with 2 Diplomats which can be fairly crippling. I would go Influence, Economic, Aristocratic for your first three or just skip Influence and get a second military idea because lol Prussia

Edit: also I think it's more beneficial to keep around a couple non-German culture marches for a long time rather than integrating them. Someone like Poland or Sweden as a march is extremely baller.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 19, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Whereas EU4 is for spergy grognards who are only slightly ashamed to admit their hundreds of hours clocked playing this game. :negative:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

If you're not running a republic with a +1 republican tradition idea I don't know what to tell you.

I think the best you can get is Novgorod with +0.5 RT

The policies that give you +0.2 RT are terribad. For a Merchant Republic that means you get to re-elect once more every 50 years, at the cost of 1 MP/month for the duration. It doesn't take much math spergery to see what a bad return on investment that is.

Re-electing to a third term means a 6/4/4 dude vs. a fresh 4/1/1 ruler, so you net a maximum of 8 points per month * 4 year election term = 384 MP
Maintaining the policy is 1 mil or adm point per month for 50 years to generate the 10 RT for a re-election = 600 MP

*faaaaart*

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 19, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Well there's three that start out in 1444 as merchant republics: the hansa, venice and genoa. Venice is the easiest of the three and genoa is the hardest of the three to play. Just look at where each three of them start and pick the location you would like to play in as. Don't be afraid to go into debt to get mercenaries to grab more land. You might think that as a merchant republic you should gun for the Trade idea but that's a trap since the last thing you need is what that idea group gives.

also Novgorod, all of them are cool and fun

Edit: I need to try Novgorod, Muscovy seems to get routinely clowned by Kazan or Golden Horde and looks really weak this patch.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Hamburg is fun to play as and owns.

Re: Prussia chat, forming Prussia as the TO makes you lose your theocracy government, right? From reading the event files though it seems like Riga or Magdeburg would be able to form Prussia and still stay as a theocracy, which might be interesting.

Yeah, the TO gets a unique decision to form Prussia which removes them and all their provinces from the HRE and switches to a monarchy. The LO and others can form Prussia without a government switch or losing HRE status I believe.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Do you get the -2 stability hit if your king is an inactive general?

nah pretty sure you get -1 for a monarch dying in general and -2 only for if they die leading an army in battle

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Austria-Hungary and Germany both ran themselves into the ground via WW1 thanks to terrible Kings/Emperors.

Eh, more professional historians can correct me, but the overall understanding I have of those two in WWI was 1) basically everyone but the Kaiser was fairly competent in Germany and he didn't have all that much influence on major decisions of the war, hard to lay the blame at his feet and 2) Austria was tragically dysfunctional on almost every level, emperor notwithstanding.

Russia in WW1 however is a very good example of an empire crashing and burning due to lovely leader(s). Possibly also the Ottomans.

Edit: basically I'd argue the Kaiser was pretty worthless but not all that influential, while Austria was hosed top to bottom regardless of who was in charge.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 20, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Any thoughts as between Administrative and Economic ideas for Brandenburg? Leaning towards Admin for the coring cost reduction.

Both are good. I took Econ on my TO -> Prussia run and have been focused more on building vertical than purely expanding. Brandenburg/Prussian ideas get -5% development cost, plus you'll probably want to go Protestant and with HRE reform bonuses that's another few development discounts. Admin is also very good for the coring discount and merc bonuses, manpower is even tougher to come by.

I would heartily recommend Aristocratic, especially if you plan on doing any significant vassal integration. The loss of the Embassy building means you're stuck with two diplomats, and integration is roughly twice as expensive and time-consuming as before Common Sense.

I would go Admin, Influence, Aristocratic for a heavy expansion game. You won't have all that many free points to spend on development early in the game anyway, so you can totally wait and take Econ later, especially after you unlock the University building for super cheap development.

Edit: here's that TO game, Poland Kiev and Novgorod are my mega-marches with France as my main ally. Was hoping Kiev would form Ruthenia but apparently they have to be independent for that decision, also have my dynasty on the French throne so might get a PU eventually. Smashed the Catholics and Protestantism has been the official faith of the HRE for almost a century, but I haven't been able to get elected Emperor after the decision to form Prussia removed me from the HRE, oh well. Took Econ but not Admin, no diplomatic idea lines at all.

Been slowly eating Denmark and now working on Norway and Sweden. Denmark and Norway always take Aristocratic so they have awful coring costs. Forming Germany is my next goal.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 20, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

Gonna pull the trigger on this one as my final steam sale pickup. The common sense DLC steam page is kind of worrisome with a lot of negative reviews about how it broke the AI and made expanding impossible. Temper tantrums or is there some truth to this? Wait until next steam sale for common sense?

Tantrums.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for the writeup. I haven't played in a million years so I'm pretty rusty on this kind of stuff.

What determines what provinces a vassal will accept these days? I know the rules for vassal feeding have changed since the old days when they would take literally anything, but I have no idea what the specifics. Will they only accept cores or is it broader than that?

You can feed them anything in peace deals, there's a button to cede occupation of a province to your vassal and then you just demand it go directly to your vassal in the peace agreement.

They'll definitely take non-cored provinces. In that screen I posted all my mega-marches (Poland, Kiev, Novgorod) are a couple tech levels behind in Admin because I've been feeding them a ton. I don't really plan to integrate them ever and haven't taken any diplomatic ideas as a result. Be careful if you plan to do much diplo-annexation, it's twice as expensive/long as before and you're more limited on Diplomats. They'll take whatever and have no choice in the matter, but you don't want to overload them so keep an eye on their tech and don't push them past 100% Overextension. That's pretty hard to do, though.

A very nice change is you can enforce your religion and primary culture (the second really only useful for +1 per month toward integrating them) on vassals, plus there are other options to manage their liberty desire. I think it's better to keep a March or two around for a long time due to how manpower is more constricting and it's more expensive to integrate vassals. In my case I forced my mega-marches Protestant and have fed them specific culture provinces to keep them strong and unified. In my screenshot, Poland has all the Polish + Silesian culture provinces (gently caress Bohemian coring cost NI or they'd have that too), Kiev is almost all Ruthenian + Belorussian (need to knock a couple off Hungary), and Novogorod is my Russian little bro. I did a little genocide on the Baltics (sorry guys :smith:) and everything I hold directly is German or Scandinavian culture group.

Overall with these changes I'd definitely take Aristocratic as your first military idea for the diplomat and free leader, your NIs are hilariously strong and you don't really need the extra military beef from going Offensive/Defensive or whatever right away.

Army Tradition generation is a lot lower and I'd guess it will be increased in upcoming patches, but for the time being Prussian ideas are extra comically strong with your +AT and -decay you will easily have a pip or two on Lucky nation generals. Previously it was largely a game of catch-up since Lucky nations could maintain high AT and +1 Fire/Shock to have god-generals constantly, but they seem to have trouble maintaining high AT now.

Ideas I covered earlier but in general:

ADM: Economic and Admin are great depending on whether you want to build taller/wider. Probably Admin first and Econ later if you want both. Innovative for the completely unnecessary and overkill +20% Infantry Combat Ability policy isn't terrible. AE is less of a concern, skip Humanist, conversion is easier skip Religious.

DIP: Influence and Diplomatic, no real point in the others for you

MIL: Aristocratic first, DO IT. Defensive, Quality for massive AT. Offensive at some point is nice, or Quantity.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Acceptableloss posted:

So I just recently got into this game, and so far I quite like it. I'm about 5 years in as Venice in my first game with the full version (played a few in the demo). What is the deal with technology development? They all start at 600 MP each, but so far the most I've ever had in any one category is like 200. How am I supposed to start improving my tech level? Does it get cheaper or is it just supposed to be super slow or what?

Also, does anyone know of a good iPad game that scratches the same itch as EU4? I've got a long flight coming up and something like that would be perfect.

Welcome to the thread! This is a super grognardy game and the learning curve is a monstrous cliff, feel free to post questions and you'll usually get several quick responses.

Each tech level has an "on time" year. Buying a tech ahead of time will cost you +10% per year, if you go into your tech tab you'll see the modifiers on the right hand side. Since Monarch Points gate pretty much everything you do, you want to be really stingy with them and only buy techs once you've reached their maturity date.

Eventually you'll get a feel for tech progression and remember important breakpoints. For example, tech level 7 unlocks your second idea set and colonization for non-Iberian European nations and its on-time date is 1479. Tech level 10 is 1531 which unlocks your third idea group and makes most nation-forming decisions available.

Edit: a good way to do a basic budget for your points is to glance at your tech tab. If you're behind in a tech you should avoid spending those points until you're caught up. If you're ahead in a tech you should look for other good ways to burn some of those points and then buy the tech a few years down the line when it's cheaper.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 21, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, Admin points are usually most tight early in the game since you use them for stability and coring conquered provinces as well as tech, you probably want to set your National Focus to Admin to start. Speaking of stability, don't buy it past +1 and even that's a luxury.

Military tech is usually most critical, since upgrades in Tactics especially can make for really painful disparities in battle. Like VDay said you don't need to actually buy the tech unless you're at war, but DON'T fall behind on military tech.

Edit: as to why not to buy Stability, the benefits are small and the random events that change it are weighted to push it towards 0 away from extremes. Buying +2 Stability is expensive and not very beneficial, and will make events that reduce Stability more likely. Again, evaluate whether the benefits of spending your admin points are worth increasing stability (usually not) and don't go past +1.

Negative Stab is not good but you can run at -1 or -2 for a long time without much harm depending on your situation otherwise. Positive stability doesn't do much for you and is expensive and you'll lose it from events anyway.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 21, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Yeah now that I know that nothing disastrous happens, the system makes sense and seems like a way to give you a little bit of choice in who you want as a ruler in exchange for (usually) getting older rulers. Speaking of which, is there any way to influence who gets picked each "cycle" as the other countries' main competitor/nominee, or is it just RNG and the game picks a random country to push up to compete with you. I noticed there's some percentage numbers next to other country's heir nominees, but it was in the extended tooltip so I couldn't hover over anything to get more info. Is that just % chance that that person's ranking/claim/whatever goes up every month?

Yeah it's the % chance to bump up their heir's score. You can pay Legitimacy to increase your native Polish heir but he'll be low Legitimacy and you lose a Diplomat. Generally better to just let foreign countries win it, there's no easy way to game that it's RNG.

After 1600 you'll get the event that can switch you out of Elective to Absolute Monarchy, if you can get a powerful dynasty on your throne before you ditch Elective that'd be nice

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Schizotek posted:

Hasn't the recent expansion patch nerfed manpower, and by extension, the Ottomans? If so murder the fuckers in the crib.

It also nerfed AT, so the Lucky nation god-generals aren't quite as godly. Ottomans are still really huge and scary and I'd argue probably the single strongest nation at the start. Muscovy, France, Castile, Austria are all a lot weaker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Tywin posted:

The Ottomans are also wrecking everything that is sent against them in my ironman Naples to Italy game, I just formed Italy and after I vassalized Savoy France hates me. I figured that would happen but I don't really know how to fight them. My current plan is to fortify pretty much all of northern Italy and try to crush them in a war of attrition, however I'm about to chose my fourth idea group but I don't know which one is best to let me fight France. I already have trade,humanist and quality, I have thought about defensive for the better generals, extra attrition for France, extra morale and extra fort defense which combined with the Italian ideas should be pretty ludicrous. But maybe quantity is better? I already have about 78,000 manpower fully charged which I think is the best in the word but if I intend to grind down France I will need a lot of bodies to throw at them. Which idea do you guys think is the best to fight France?

Defensive would combo nicely with the +1 AT from Quality, AT is a lot harder to get right now so that's a notable benefit. Unfortunately your border forts are all in rich farmland provinces which isn't ideal for attriting a bunch of Turks but it'll work.

• Locked thread