Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Everyone seems to pick the same 3-4 canids and felines. What is the weirdest/oddest animal you saw someone dress up as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Camrath posted:

Most species have some sort of stereotype attached to them. Sometimes this comes from popular views of the animal in question, sometimes from the actions of various folk in the fandom, sometimes both. Foxes are sluts, wolves try to act tough but are secretly little puppies, cats are arrogant, but big cats are somewhat over represented amongst community leaders. Anything with scales is weird and dragons are just plain loving nuts.

What about birds, or cetaceans?

Are there just not enough to create a stereotype?

Do they call reptilian furries 'scalies'? (It seems so arbitrary that a cyber sparkle dog-fox hybrid would be fine but a dragon is odd.)

How do most furries identify politically?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SamLikesCake posted:

Gonna throw my hat into the ring, so long as it's cool with the OP!

I suppose I'm the mythical "normal" furry. I am a married 30-year-old woman in Canada who is in decent physical shape, have a great full-time position at a Fortune 500 company. Most of my friends are NOT furries and it's certainly not my primary social outlet, but I do have some stories that will curl your hair. I also happen to own a fursuit and attend about one convention a year. I've also done freelance art commissions for several years up until very recently.

I used to be a lot more active in the community but in recent years my interest has waned quite a bit.

So. If you have any questions for a semi-normal woman who is still involved with the fandom, have at it!

Show us the suit.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

constantinople posted:

I knew a kid who was a confurvative during my year of being pre-med. There were a lot of conservatives in my health sciences colleges, and his major reasoning was that he was Catholic and hated abortion. I was apparently the first person he was comfortable "coming out" to. He was really into symphonic music, and last I heard he had a boyfriend who was also into classical music. So they're not all bad.

I'd hope once he was out he stopped the anti-abortion Schick, otherwise he's still vast majority bad.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Sure, but if you put a child on the spectrum next to a neurotypical child, the differences will become apparent the longer you observe them. Most neurotypical children still possess a level of social savvy and social awareness that the kids on the spectrum don't.

Neurotypical kids also don't engage in the "stimming" behaviors (rocking, hand flapping, head-banging) that you see in some autistic kids, of course, and don't display the same sensory quirks and hyper-sensitivities.

And I answered the furries + autism question probably a page or so ago, with a link to the actual research that's been done there.

In the end, as I've come to understand it, autism's just another brain type that comes with its own bag of strengths and deficits. When people receive good support and mentoring while growing up, they can develop the skills and insight to use their strengths and compensate for their weaknesses. When they don't receive appropriate support and mentoring, they turn out like Chris-Chan or Pamperchu, and become the laughingstock of the Internet.

Neurotypical people engage in stimming, its just socially-acceptable stimming. There's a difference between figeting with a pen or playing with a lock of hair and something like yelling the refrain from Dora nonstop for 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

In a century some grad student's going to write their dissertation on the use of sparkledogs as democratic heraldry and it will be the most beautiful thing you'll never get to read

Greysexual lithromantic, a néon vert spakledog rampant, forelegs charged with Bad Dragon dildos.

• Locked thread