Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

After bouncing around the various forums I figured I just should post here as I'm tired. I'm 23 years old and now looking for work in NYC/NY area.

History:

I grew up in Westchester County attended a boring school district from kindergarten to HS graduation 2009. I then went to Stony Brook University but I experienced depression so I took a medical leave for 1.5 years. Meantime I worked for my mother until I transferred to Baruch College (2011). I continued to struggle with my courses until I felt hopeless as college loans and my younger brother started college so I left Baruch (2014) as I figured he'd have a better chance than I did.

Family:

My father died when I was 16 (2007) and my mother is suing me. Currently, estranged from my younger brother and my extended family seems to be somewhat helpful but not really. My father's side has been estranged for the last 7-30 years and I've not seen them since my late father's funeral.

I would rather not contact my mother as she has been considerably abusive in the last few months/years and recent events have been traumatizing :v:

Work Exp:

I worked full-time 70-80 hours at my mother's business as Assistant Manager for 5 years. Most of my skills are customer service, receptionist, IT support, retail, and sales. Because it was a family business I was not paid and not allowed to quit under any circumstances. Also, I had no bank account at the time or any way to save money either way. She helped me pay for college and I lived at home until a few months ago.

General Info:

Stuff happened and I quit my job. The next day I was kicked out and a long series of tedious legal problems followed. I presumed my cat would be OK at home but a week ago found out my mother returned it to the shelter a month ago. Ideally, I'd like my cat to live with me but I can't due to my unstable housing situation so I accepted that it'd been adopted and I'd give up after calling the shelter.

Update: 7/29/15
Legal issues resolved for now.

Savings:

I have none. One of my friends loaned me enough money for rent for 1-2 months and I have applied to SNAP so I won't starve. I did manage to open a checking account but right now it's just holding onto rent money.

Housing

Currently living in Flushing, Queens as my relatives gave me enough money for rent 2 months but that will end at the end of June. Still searching for places to rent from $500-$600. It looks grim but here I am. I do have friends but all of them are online or don't live near me.

I decided to stay in NYC area as my relatives live here and I have no car. Not to mention I need to deal w/court dates and I have no idea where else to live as I lived in NY my entire life. Also, I'm not sure what else would I find in another place as I don't have a job, money, or connections elsewhere.

Job Search

Joined job search sites (SimplyHired, CL, Snagajob), college job board, LinkedIn, and went to career center. I have considered taking A+ certs for helpdesk jobs and slowly working through the textbook. Luckily, I have clothing and my PC so that'll help me.

Resume: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVZnlvRXBzMTdTb2c/edit?usp=docslist_api

College

Yes, I've notified my college wrt to everything happened. Unfortunately even with grants idk if I can afford to return as of now but speaking with advisors in search of additional resources.

Alder fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Here's the NYC LAN thread with lots of local resources/info/advice/opinions/weatherchat.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Alright Alder let's kick this baby off. #1 job search tip is indeed.com, which is a great aggregator. Much better than craigslist or anything else for finding jobs by keywork and location. How's your resume look? There's a thread for resume critique here in BFC.

Is staying at your current place sustainable if you can find a job? Or is the rent too high? Is there any way to move in with your generous relatives if the two months runs out?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Alright Alder let's kick this baby off. #1 job search tip is indeed.com, which is a great aggregator. Much better than craigslist or anything else for finding jobs by keywork and location. How's your resume look? There's a thread for resume critique here in BFC.

Is staying at your current place sustainable if you can find a job? Or is the rent too high? Is there any way to move in with your generous relatives if the two months runs out?

1. Yes, I joined Indeed.com too. I have a resume but it's very empty as I re-write it each time I apply to a new job depending on the reqs.

2. Rent is too high.

I've asked my relatives if I could stay there but they all refused. TBH, they are extremely traditional/conservative people who don't believe in mental illness and domestic violence. I did have one aunt who brought me food every other week before SNAP kicked in.

The worst case scenario I will ask my grandparents but they live in a studio and I worry I might be stressing them out as it's a studio apt.

Mostly it's been difficult to find places to rent due to lack of job and I can't read/speak Chinese.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Can you post an anonymized version of your resume? We can help make it appealing and nice.

Have you applied to jobs on craiglist or places with "Hiring" signs? Wandered your neighborhood and taking a look?

If you're female and not terrified of children, I had very good luck as a young person with no qualifications working as a "college student nanny", taking care of people's kids after school. I also applied for a work study position that mitigated some of my student loans, which was nice. Dog walking was another couple bucks each month. I eventually leveraged the child care gig into working in residential care for teens which paid a few bucks above minimum wage, which was nice. Waiting tables worked well for my roommates at the time, though you get paid crappy when you start.

How are your people skills? As someone from a crazy strange pseudo-abusive home, I know I was feral as gently caress for a while - are you able to competently do front-facing jobs? Also, you might consider selling your soul to a call-center since that seems in line with your experience.

Are you not able to take out loans to cover your education, or are you scared they are mounting too high? Are you likely to need medical leave again? What are you pursuing a degree in? I know getting my AA at community college leveraged me from a babysitter to a "youth services worker", and that was enough for me to get by.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Why is your mom suing you?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Well you go freedom so that's good. I would look at moving to a low cost high employment area (Is that still North Dakota, Texas these days?). Go where the jobs are.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

Have you applied to jobs on craiglist or places with "Hiring" signs? Wandered your neighborhood and taking a look?

How are your people skills?

Resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rj_sV-eUGCHMEpj51ujyS3gvEf7jIfrc26z_N06NRRg/edit?usp=sharing

Cover Letter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14nFsoiaZos5uxIPtK5nUIvsCkbq69TI42n1KL88_NC0/edit?usp=sharing

I've walked around the area and applied via CL but so far I ran out of retail chains to apply. I did consider the whole print a resume and drop-off random locations but not really sure if anyone reads them before recycling.

People skills were not that great when I started out and now it's passable. Although, I do sometimes seem robotic/stiff during interviews. I've checked out the call center thread here but so far not sure how to find call center jobs in/around NY.

I've joined Care.com for pet sitting as I fear small children due to total of exp and zero references.

Mostly the latter as I already have $7,000 in loans which I need to repay someday. My degree is for Computer Info Systems and Minor in Info Systems.

Series DD Funding posted:

Why is your mom suing you?

Legal problems. Yes, it's weird and quite terrifying at the same time.

Foma posted:

Well you go freedom so that's good. I would look at moving to a low cost high employment area (Is that still North Dakota, Texas these days?). Go where the jobs are.

Err mostly how do I find a job in another state when I don't know anything about other states and lack marketable skills? And have no money.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
I don't mean "join" indeed, I mean search on it, daily. "Tech support" + "NYC" or "Customer Service" + "NYC" and see what kind of ideas come up. I did a quick search and it showed up like, UPS store. Maybe a warehouse job would be good if your health is ok. I wouldn't bother applying for waiter jobs, NYC is a saturated market there and has a much higher barrier to entry.

Here's a page with jobs that are specifically posted with Baruch students in mind (you'll have to log in to see the listings, which I assume you can still access) http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/careers/students/stu_job.html

Looks like the career center has walk-in hours too http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/careers/
Career centers are real hit or miss in terms of advice, but they might have some leads and basic info that can help.

That resume you posted is not at all what you want out there representing yourself. You have one solid position and decent skills, but it is all lost in a poorly organized, unspecific hodge podge. I'll do you an edit, or you can post in the resume thread, but in the meantime, google "resume template" and pick a nice clean layout that is for entry-level or skills-focused work, and start from that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I don't mean "join" indeed, I mean search on it, daily. "Tech support" + "NYC" or "Customer Service" + "NYC" and see what kind of ideas come up. I did a quick search and it showed up like, UPS store. Maybe a warehouse job would be good if your health is ok. I wouldn't bother applying for waiter jobs, NYC is a saturated market there and has a much higher barrier to entry.

That resume you posted is not at all what you want out there representing yourself. You have one solid position and decent skills, but it is all lost in a poorly organized, unspecific hodge podge. I'll do you an edit, or you can post in the resume thread, but in the meantime, google "resume template" and pick a nice clean layout that is for entry-level or skills-focused work, and start from that.

Revised resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JsH70ctiDQVRVUeIS8dWQbKnibmhsD3ji3i4cGYmE3Q/edit?usp=sharing

I've checked warehouse jobs but was worried since one of the requirements meant lifting up to 70 lb which I know I can't do on a good day.

I actually have exp related to service jobs as we owned our first business which was a restaurant but yeah the market for it in NYC is not that great in my area if I can only speak English here.

Alright added more saved searches to my email subs. Most of the time I've applied to helpdesk, IT support, office assistance, customer service and etc. I do try to stay away from jobs which require a BBA/degree unless they accept certifications.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Your new resume looks so much better! :) Please keep trying, OP!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Alder posted:

Revised resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JsH70ctiDQVRVUeIS8dWQbKnibmhsD3ji3i4cGYmE3Q/edit?usp=sharing

I've checked warehouse jobs but was worried since one of the requirements meant lifting up to 70 lb which I know I can't do on a good day.

I actually have exp related to service jobs as we owned our first business which was a restaurant but yeah the market for it in NYC is not that great in my area if I can only speak English here.

Alright added more saved searches to my email subs. Most of the time I've applied to helpdesk, IT support, office assistance, customer service and etc. I do try to stay away from jobs which require a BBA/degree unless they accept certifications.

I worked warehouse at many places for 4 or 5 years, and one even required a physical. Nearly every place required 50 lbs, and from experience you won't spend too much time doing that generally. I wouldn't let a job posting or two that says 70 lbs discourage you. I've worked with plenty of old people at warehouses who fared just fine.

One place to check out would be Southern Wine & Spirits. They're union (Teamsters), the pay was very good (I was making $19.10/hr where I live plus amazing benefits, and double time and a half on holidays if we worked), and there's tons of room to move up since it's a massive company. It'd be relatively easy to get into short-haul truck driving too, since they're always hiring drivers and they'll train you if you're already in warehouse. In my experience they were also extremely flexible with school.

E: Oh you're going for CIS? Shoot there was a place that hired for basically exactly what you're going for with that, and it was all remote work and paid OK like $14/hr to start or something... If I can remember it I'll post it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 12, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still think that resume needs some work. Get rid of the entire objective part, everyone knows the point of a resume is to get a job. For the skills part break it down and make it more detailed. When you are applying to places online lots of times they will just quickly be scanning your resume and looking for a few quick items. Something like this maybe:

*HARDWARE: Laptop repair, desktop repair, desktop assembly, ethernet cabeling, etc
*SOFTWARE: Office 2007/2010/2013, Advanced Excel, Whatever bank software you used
*Networking: Home office small office router setup, switch configuration, etc

HR types and recruiters will be doing a ctrl f and typing in whatever they need so you want to make it easy for them to find. I know you said money is tight but start looking into getting your A+, as a beginner in IT it can be helpful to get you past the HR gatekeepers who view it as a requirement. You can probably pass that test by just knowing what you already know, using common sense for the customer service questions, and watching Professor Messer videos online. When you do get an interview be sure to play up your customer service skills. For frontline helpdesk you'll need those skills often to not want to strangle whoever you are helping.

Good luck!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get a job, any job so you can keep yourself fed/sheltered.

Longer term - get back into school - don't be afraids of loans, this is one of the few areas where loans are 100% the right choice. Try to live on the cheap, keep a part time job to help cover expenses, graduate and get a 'real' job.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
With the addendum that subsidized private loans are a better idea than private loans, which are murderous.

Are you considered an independent student, or are they counting your mother's income? At age 24 that defaults back to independent automatically and you will get more financial aid, but you can also usually apply to be an independent student at a younger age because of your individual circumstances (see estrangement, abuse).

$7k isn't a big deal, though it probably seems harrowing now. I think if you had to increase your loans this year to cover dorms and living expenses, you could get on your feet and do better in the coming year to take out smaller loans by working etc. Being a young person without experience in a big city is a bad position to be in when you don't know where your rent is going to come from for August.

If it comes to it, please let us know if you need help finding a youth shelter or services :( I am a government social worker in California, but I have good navigation skills for that arena regardless of locale. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I can't find that remote PC work place again, but I'd keep an eye here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 and maybe post a thread here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138 (Just read the rules they're pretty strict there).

I've seen quite a few $50k telecommute only jobs posted on the WHT forums, and the biggest requirement is generally "can communicate well in written English" and "able to pick up technical concepts". WHMCS is one such company I've seen post $50k-$55k jobs for remote help desk, and that was with training so maybe keep an eye there too. WHT generally has pretty fresh stuff though, as hosting companies seem to always be hiring help desk people.

For example: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1484267

e: and firms that you could potentially look into as well, but I don't know your technical level: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139
e2: but I'm not saying every job posted there pays $50k.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 12, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

With the addendum that subsidized private loans are a better idea than private loans, which are murderous.

Are you considered an independent student, or are they counting your mother's income? At age 24 that defaults back to independent automatically and you will get more financial aid, but you can also usually apply to be an independent student at a younger age because of your individual circumstances (see estrangement, abuse).

Yes, I'm declared independent in my FAFSA/fin aid so my overall amount is approx $5,400~ not including TAP. There may be some circumstances where I may need some info from parents as technically I turn 24 at Dec but that's kinda still in the Fall '15 semester. I've been to Fin Aid offices and they say I should be fine.

@resume: Thanks for advice along with being cross-posted to the resume thread and gotten helpful critique there too.

Alright, I've thought of doing telecommuting IT jobs but I've heard that it might be a challenge as I don't have tons of exp yet. Will check out linked threads too.

I'm thinking of posting this ad looking for roommates for July-August on college boards where textbooks/jobs are posted:

Wanted Quiet Roommates/Rooms:

- Budget $500-$600/Month

- At most 2 hr commute to Midtown/college campus

- I'm a 2nd year student and non-smoker/non-drinker with no pets.

- Ideally, near public transportation.

I think it sounds reasonable? I read a few CL/other ads for college roommates and this would be OK if I were looking to rent/find people. Then again, I've never done it so here goes nothing.

I have good credit but mostly concerned about income proof.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 12, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hey Alder, thanks for posting this thread, I am really hoping that getting all your issues in one place maybe you can help get some traction on this. It seems pretty overwhelming, I'm sure.

n8r posted:

Get a job, any job so you can keep yourself fed/sheltered.

Longer term - get back into school - don't be afraids of loans, this is one of the few areas where loans are 100% the right choice. Try to live on the cheap, keep a part time job to help cover expenses, graduate and get a 'real' job.
I agree with this. Right not it sounds like you have funds to manage one, maybe two months of living. You need to get any kind of job you can right now. Obviously if you can get something that is in your field or that you think might last long-term that's great, but you aren't in a position to be too picky. If there are any temp companies in your area, sign up with those, sometimes they are crap but if they get you a week of work that's a week of work you don't have right now. If you can get some sort of footing you can begin to sort yourself out for school.

I don't want to get into E/N about your family here, but what exactly is your mother trying to sue you for? I think you want to be careful that you don't just avoid dealing with that and have it snowball out of control - if it turns into a default judgement because you never showed or responded, it only gets harder to deal with. You should look into legal aid services, whether that is through a school or some sort of clinic. It sounds like you would qualify for some sort of help.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ashcans posted:

I don't want to get into E/N about your family here, but what exactly is your mother trying to sue you for? I think you want to be careful that you don't just avoid dealing with that and have it snowball out of control - if it turns into a default judgement because you never showed or responded, it only gets harder to deal with.

It's a bit more complicated as during the time I worked with her I had severe depression and more or less a blank personality slate. As I got better w/therapy & doctors I started to realize that a lot of situation I lived in was incredibly unhealthy and strange.

Yes, I do try to avoid posting about it online as I do have lawyer provided via Legal Aid and been attending court dates. Mostly, I've given up on this relationship as I feel like it's going downhill atm.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Alder posted:

Alright, I've thought of doing telecommuting IT jobs but I've heard that it might be a challenge as I don't have tons of exp yet. Will check out linked threads too.

I ran a web host for about 5 years (and technically still do run one), and I even had an employee at one point. I can pretty much guarantee that you can cover level 1 problems regardless of experience if you're in college for CIS. It's mostly just stuff like "How do I add an email/ftp/whatever?" or "My website domain is about to expire HELP!". You could learn pretty much any web host's control panel in a few days, but really the industry standard is cPanel, which you could learn on your own here: http://x3demoa.cpx3demo.com:2082/login/?user=x3demoa&pass=x3demoa . Not sure if you're at all interested, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 13, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Not sure if you're at all interested, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck.

Thanks, a few months ago I was learning how to set-up my blog/site from scratch and then use it for coding projects. Mostly 90% of what I learned were from tutorials but not sure if I can add it to "knowledge base."

And Python too. I asked a friend who works in the IT Industry and he mentioned, while it's possible to get a job via the self-taught route, most companies would rather hire people w/CS degrees just for the sake of consistency.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Time for a semi-weekly update:

As of now I can't afford to attend college as I'd need to work full-time for living expenses and still be a full-time student and that's just not going to work out well. I've spoken to Counseling and we decided that it would be a Bad Idea considering how stressed I am right now.

At a later time I can still return and complete my degree but it's back to job search for now. With the help of Interview/Resume thread I've revised my resume and still applying via Indeed.com.

I bought a CompTIA textbook and voucher for the exam which I plan to take in 1 month or so. I know it's 2x exams to be certified but it's a lot of money so I buy the 2nd voucher after I pass the first one. I'll continue to lurk in the Certs/IT Support threads to get a better idea of the work too.

Housing still ______? As extended family is keen in avoiding me and I may have to move in with grandparents once I explain the situation.

Meantime, I've thought about moving out-of-state to NJ even there I can't find places to rent w/my budget. I've been browsing CL and so far 90% scams and 10% idek.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I haven't used this site but http://itpro.tv/ does 30 hours of free content a week if you watch live. There are also other certain shows they offer for free. I've sure they have basic A+ or CompTIA content. Maybe see what you can do for free first? Could give you a good start in the right direction.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sorry to hear that you are putting school on hold, but it might be for the best until you can get your footing. I can only imagine that it would be really hard to get through your classes in the current situation.

As well as CL, make sure you are looking on alternative housing sites. Padmapper is a good start, because it aggregates listings from a bunch of places and does a decent job filtering out the most obvious scams.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

I haven't used this site but http://itpro.tv/ does 30 hours of free content a week if you watch live. There are also other certain shows they offer for free. I've sure they have basic A+ or CompTIA content. Maybe see what you can do for free first? Could give you a good start in the right direction.

Thanks, will check out the site later for study materials.

Ashcans posted:

Sorry to hear that you are putting school on hold, but it might be for the best until you can get your footing. I can only imagine that it would be really hard to get through your classes in the current situation.

As well as CL, make sure you are looking on alternative housing sites. Padmapper is a good start, because it aggregates listings from a bunch of places and does a decent job filtering out the most obvious scams.

Yes, I've checked Padmapper and punched in some local NJ towns but still out of my price range and/or landlords want a longer lease which is a challenge with no job atm.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What about the room for rent option? Maybe that could hold you over.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's late to find one, but you might have luck with a summer sublet from a college student? That would cover you until the fall when you would hopefully be in a better situation to commit to a full lease.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

What about the room for rent option? Maybe that could hold you over.

Yes, still searching for rooms to rent but not at my relative's home as they don't have space.

Ashcans posted:

It's late to find one, but you might have luck with a summer sublet from a college student? That would cover you until the fall when you would hopefully be in a better situation to commit to a full lease.

I considered it but since Baruch is a dead end for resources I figured it'd be a bad idea to keep looking for places to rent if I can't really access the campus building.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't have any advice that hasn't already been posted, but I wanted to say I'm rooting for you. Godspeed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

indigi posted:

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been posted, but I wanted to say I'm rooting for you. Godspeed.

Hmm--thanks appreciated :3:

In a odd situation as I still haven't found housing in my budget but I want to save the remaining loan money for my cont. job search.

The only real option is living with my grandparents in their small studio but I feel bad. Ok not as bad as being 100% homeless. Still. I've asked my 5 relatives if they could let me live in their closet but denied :v:

Life sucks.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
if you go with the grandparents do absolutely everything you can to make sure your footprint is tiny and do whatever you can to help them out for their generosity. At least then you'd have somewhere safe to crash while
you look for a different place to
live. Maybe stay out much as possible during the day too.

Just be really open with them about what's going on. I know if I was them my biggest worry would be you don't have concrete plans for moving on, and you seem to be fairly on the ball about that.

Good luck.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

if you go with the grandparents do absolutely everything you can to make sure your footprint is tiny and do whatever you can to help them out for their generosity. At least then you'd have somewhere safe to crash while
you look for a different place to
live. Maybe stay out much as possible during the day too.

Just be really open with them about what's going on. I know if I was them my biggest worry would be you don't have concrete plans for moving on, and you seem to be fairly on the ball about that.

Good luck.

Alright, they're OK with me going outside but they will start to worry once it's after 7PM which can be a bit of a challenge. Although, the main problem is that it's under my mother's lease and our relatives contribute for the rent so I cannot stay there too long as she will come to harass me into leaving.

I've been calling NYC temp agencies and submitting resumes but so far it's been 1.5 weeks since I sent it out. I'm going to consider leaving the area soon and apply for HUD programs as I can't afford living expenses atm.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Things have gotten strange in the last week or so. Basically, I'm not sure if I can stay with family at all. I'm feeling stressed out as I haven't found a place to rent yet despite having a loan. Considering camping outside as the weather is better in the summer.

My job search is slow. I'm having trouble focusing on study materials due to recent events. I'm also worried about storing my remaining processions. I miss my cat.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Things have gotten strange in the last week or so. Basically, I'm not sure if I can stay with family at all. I'm feeling stressed out as I haven't found a place to rent yet despite having a loan. Considering camping outside as the weather is better in the summer.

My job search is slow. I'm having trouble focusing on study materials due to recent events. I'm also worried about storing my remaining processions. I miss my cat.

You can do it Alder. One step at a time. Job, then apartment.

Sign up with all the temp agencies. Apply at box stores and for computer janitor positions. Having a job, any job, will get you in to a room faster. You can always quit it for something better.
Since you don't need to be near school anymore, expand your room search farther out, into NJ. If you're on a bus line instead of the subway it might be cheaper.

Here's the NYC social services page, if you want to look into youth shelters or jobs programs.
http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/categories/social-services.page

And the CUNY jobs page
http://www.cuny.edu/employment/student-jobs.html

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

You can do it Alder. One step at a time. Job, then apartment.

Sign up with all the temp agencies. Apply at box stores and for computer janitor positions. Having a job, any job, will get you in to a room faster. You can always quit it for something better.
Since you don't need to be near school anymore, expand your room search farther out, into NJ. If you're on a bus line instead of the subway it might be cheaper.

Here's the NYC social services page, if you want to look into youth shelters or jobs programs.
http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/categories/social-services.page

And the CUNY jobs page
http://www.cuny.edu/employment/student-jobs.html

Thanks. I've signed up with all the nyc temp firms but no call-backs. The same with retailers and any local chain stores. Yeah, I'm going to move my items into storage and keep looking around. I have a meeting with Henry Street on Monday which provides neighborhood services too. Mostly feeling tired and discouraged by everything.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Thanks. I've signed up with all the nyc temp firms but no call-backs. The same with retailers and any local chain stores. Yeah, I'm going to move my items into storage and keep looking around. I have a meeting with Henry Street on Monday which provides neighborhood services too. Mostly feeling tired and discouraged by everything.
I know, jobs and apartments are a slog under the best of circumstances. Keep at it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Alder, is your mom suing you, like, with a lawyer, or has she taken you to small claims court?

Have you looked into countersuing her for back pay?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Alder, is your mom suing you, like, with a lawyer, or has she taken you to small claims court?

Have you looked into countersuing her for back pay?

Yes, I have but at this point I've trying to figure out how to stabilize my life. Also, that maybe I just can't fix the weirdness with my family despite everything I've tried.

Weekly Update

I managed to find a room to rent using my loans. I have a few messages for interviews and I feel better overall. Still planning on sending more apps and job search continues...

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Congratulations on the room, that's a huge step. Keep us posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, that's progress. Also good news on some interviews. Don't let up on sending applications though - once you get an interview or two it's easy to slack off and count on something coming through, but if it doesn't you want to have more things in the pipeline already. Don't lose hope if you bomb a couple of interviews or don't get followups, either, I think everyone has to churn through a few before something sticks.

• Locked thread