Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willson
Jun 3, 2007
Hey Alder, a customer support position just opened up in our tech startup near union square. My email is in my profile if you're interested, I could probably get you an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Willson posted:

Hey Alder, a customer support position just opened up in our tech startup near union square. My email is in my profile if you're interested, I could probably get you an interview.

Cheers, that sounds great. I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

Weekly Update

Meantime, I found a mini-job tutoring English a few hours a week. Yay, I can afford groceries again.

It's pretty hot in NYC too. I miss A/C...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Get a towel nice and damp and drape it over your naked bod at night.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Congrats, Alder! You're doing pretty well, bud.

moana posted:

Get a towel nice and damp and drape it over your naked bod at night.

This post made me feel uncomfortable :ohdear:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

For as really creepy as it sounded, getting a light (thinner is better) cloth damp and then flapping it in the air will cool it dramatically due to evaporation - leaving one on you and running a fan will absolutely cool you down a ton, nice when it's hot and your AC is shot.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

For as really creepy as it sounded, getting a light (thinner is better) cloth damp and then flapping it in the air will cool it dramatically due to evaporation - leaving one on you and running a fan will absolutely cool you down a ton, nice when it's hot and your AC is shot.

Alright will try it out soon. I'm not sure if I'm being a baby but nyc is a lot hotter/humid than the suburbs or that I'm just failing to deal with not having A/C atm. I have a borrowed fan but it feels like I'm waking up in a sauna each morning.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Monthly Update:

OP updated as I have resolved my legal problems last month and can finally stop stalking the Legal Megathread out of boredom. Wow, I don't envy their work/balance at all.

Rent: Paid

Job search continues at a snail's pace. I've decided to focus on my college hiring board instead of the job engines due to lack of replies over the past 2-3 months.

SNAP recertification is somewhat slow despite sending into appropriate paperwork.

New doctors/therapy which is always fun as I've fallen into depression a bit wrt to everything else going on in my life.

Family? Let's not talk about them.

I did get most of my stuff back which improved my book esp books and collections of stationery. Yes, I know.

Alder fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 18, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Great progress man, happy for you. Don't forget to go in and bother the career center people, so they'll know you and be on the hunt for something for you

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am really glad to hear that your legal problems are done. Hopefully that ended on a positive (or at least neutral) note for you, but the important thing is really that it's done and won't be hanging over your head while you deal with everything else. One step closer!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Good to hear that the legal stuff can be set aside and you got your stuff back. You can now focus your energy on things that will help you a lot.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Great progress man, happy for you. Don't forget to go in and bother the career center people, so they'll know you and be on the hunt for something for you

Thanks, I've been debating if I should stop by the career center or not as I'm not registered for any classes this semester. I've join their online STARR program (job board) but not sure if I should go to a walk-in or make a actual appointment.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Thanks, I've been debating if I should stop by the career center or not as I'm not registered for any classes this semester. I've join their online STARR program (job board) but not sure if I should go to a walk-in or make a actual appointment.

I'd make an appointment so that you can monopolize their time, and send info about what you want them to help you with so they can prepare

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I'd make an appointment so that you can monopolize their time, and send info about what you want them to help you with so they can prepare

Alright, sounds good as I wasn't sure exactly what I should bring or discuss other than my limited resume.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Alder posted:

Alright, sounds good as I wasn't sure exactly what I should bring or discuss other than my limited resume.

Bring some gumption, too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Monthly Update:

I found a temp job as a office clerk but they want a month long trial. I'm Ok but there was no discussion of wages during the intial meeting and I'm kinda confused. Mostly it costs of data-entry and misc tasks.

I wanted to mention it as I'm broke and could really use the money to pay off loans and fix my pc but thought it'd be awkward. Is this normal?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Alder posted:

Monthly Update:

I found a temp job as a office clerk but they want a month long trial. I'm Ok but there was no discussion of wages during the intial meeting and I'm kinda confused. Mostly it costs of data-entry and misc tasks.

I wanted to mention it as I'm broke and could really use the money to pay off loans and fix my pc but thought it'd be awkward. Is this normal?

Yeah, that's weird that they didn't say anything about money. Was there nothing in the job description? It is not awkward at all to ask during the interview, so it's too bad you felt that way. You need to figure out how much they are paying you before you start, though. Who knows, maybe its a bs "unpaid internship" thing

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Monthly Update:

Make sure you're getting paid at least minimum wage. Don't do any month long trial work without your salary in writing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Make sure you're getting paid at least minimum wage. Don't do any month long trial work without your salary in writing.

Yes, it was weird but not sure how to bring it up other than I'm overly concerned with living expenses after 3 days.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Alder posted:

Yes, it was weird but not sure how to bring it up other than I'm overly concerned with living expenses after 3 days.

Hey! I've been silently following your thread for awhile and I'm rooting for you :)

I would say that you're excited to start the position but you realized that you forgot to ask the pay rate in the interview. It's a totally reasonable question and I don't think anyone will think you're overly concerned with living expenses.

If they tell you that it's an unpaid trial, you can politely tell them that you're looking for paid work and aren't interested...if it's an unpaid trial period they're a terrible company and you should definitely not work there.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Update

1. Wages weren't mentioned since it was a "trial" and I wouldn't be paid anyways.

2. It's not a office job but actually cold calling for recruitment for jobs to move to their NYC offices. So it'd be 5 days of calling random people from 9 to 5 for a month trial with zero sales exp :v:

Reminder to self: ask more questions next time

Back to the drawing board then

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Update

1. Wages weren't mentioned since it was a "trial" and I wouldn't be paid anyways.

2. It's not a office job but actually cold calling for recruitment for jobs to move to their NYC offices. So it'd be 5 days of calling random people from 9 to 5 for a month trial with zero sales exp :v:

welp

I don't remember if it's been mentioned but have you hit up your typical retail stores yet? I worked at the Best Buy in Rego Park for about a year and a half and it honestly wasn't all that bad. If you know anything about computers, Geek Squad they pays $12 and change per hour with fairly flexible schedules. It's basically a job that exists for college kids to make some beer and weed money while going to school. Turnover is pretty high too so I think you might have a shot. Can't argue with the pay either, that's the best you're going to find as a retail drone.

There's even a store in Flushing, and the Rego Park one is only a 30 minute train ride away. Rego Park is always hiring, they're one of the biggest stores, and they always need people.

e: And before it comes up, gently caress no you don't need an A+ to work there. I was the only one with one and I got the gently caress out to get a better job on the island. You have experience in both retail and IT so that's a huge boon right there. If you know how to back up and image a computer you're already light years ahead of most of the newbies who get dragged into Geek Squad.

If you need some extra encouragement to work for best buy, I grantee you lots of drunken parties and sex with coworkers no matter how goony you may be.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Update

yuck, exploitative. Good for you to recognize and get out.

another thing to consider is transcription. can do hourly listening to audio and typing it out if you have good wpm.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Renegret posted:

welp

I don't remember if it's been mentioned but have you hit up your typical retail stores yet? I worked at the Best Buy in Rego Park for about a year and a half and it honestly wasn't all that bad. If you know anything about computers, Geek Squad they pays $12 and change per hour with fairly flexible schedules. It's basically a job that exists for college kids to make some beer and weed money while going to school. Turnover is pretty high too so I think you might have a shot. Can't argue with the pay either, that's the best you're going to find as a retail drone.

There's even a store in Flushing, and the Rego Park one is only a 30 minute train ride away. Rego Park is always hiring, they're one of the biggest stores, and they always need people.

Yeah, I applied to a bunch of chain and retails stores a few months ago but I'll check out BB again. I wonder if it's worth sending my app to the temp agencies even though I didn't hear from them the 1st time around. I have a vague sense that I might get in trouble if I keep sending them in despite not getting any replies. Oh well.

A part of it feels like it's location problem as I'm in Flushing, Queens but I don't speak Chinese at all as a ABC. Initially here since my relatives are nearby and rent is relatively affordable and I can be OK w/o car for commuting. I'm getting some job search advice like walk down Main Street for Help Wanted signs but pretty sure I'm already doing that as I go to the library for internet :eng99:

Defenestration posted:

yuck, exploitative. Good for you to recognize and get out.

another thing to consider is transcription. can do hourly listening to audio and typing it out if you have good wpm.

I did look into the Legit money making thread and tried a transcription sample but it drove me mad. However, I did find some simple jobs like online networks but not sure if I can making living filling out surveys for .5c depending on the day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Yeah, I applied to a bunch of chain and retails stores a few months ago but I'll check out BB again. I wonder if it's worth sending my app to the temp agencies even though I didn't hear from them the 1st time around. I have a vague sense that I might get in trouble if I keep sending them in despite not getting any replies. Oh well.

A part of it feels like it's location problem as I'm in Flushing, Queens but I don't speak Chinese at all as a ABC. Initially here since my relatives are nearby and rent is relatively affordable and I can be OK w/o car for commuting. I'm getting some job search advice like walk down Main Street for Help Wanted signs but pretty sure I'm already doing that as I go to the library for internet :eng99:

Yeah, do it again, why not.

Most retail applications will make you do those stupid personality tests. If you don't answer the way they want you to, your application is immediately trashed and that store never even finds out you even applied. I have no idea how long, or even if, they keep a record of your application or if they do anything about it if you reapply, but it doesn't hurt to try. Remember when doing the tests to not answer honestly, but rather answer how they expect you to answer. You are an emotionless robot who cares only about the company and will not hesitate to throw your best friend into a blender if he steals a pack of gum.

The Rego Park place had a yearly in-store job fair starting around the holiday time looking for seasonal workers that let you skip the bullshit, too. Good seasonal workers were taken on as full time so it was a good way to get your foot in the door. I have no idea if, or when, they'll be doing that again though. Still, since we're approaching the holiday season, this is the time that they start looking for extra hands.

It's worth a shot and it doesn't take too long.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reapply to everything, especially retail/corporate or temp agencies. The worst possible thing that can happen is that your application gets rejected. It was already rejected once, so that is already where you stand. No one is going to care about it in any other way.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm out of curiosity how do I answer the question if I'm interested in returning back to school? I've been saying positives but not completely certain it's the correct answer.

"Yes, eventually?"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

Hmm out of curiosity how do I answer the question if I'm interested in returning back to school? I've been saying positives but not completely certain it's the correct answer.

"Yes, eventually?"

The question could have various reasons behind it. Some jobs would want you to keep working and they won't want to train people only to have them leave months later. Others may be interested in on-going education (for most of your job applications probably not the case). You could answer that you would be interested in further education if it is job related and that would cover both reasons.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Devian666 posted:

The question could have various reasons behind it. Some jobs would want you to keep working and they won't want to train people only to have them leave months later. Others may be interested in on-going education (for most of your job applications probably not the case). You could answer that you would be interested in further education if it is job related and that would cover both reasons.

Alright, I'll try that the next time they ask tomorrow then. There's also the are you looking for p/t or full-time jobs too. Typically, I'll say both as I'm not certain if I'd be able to find a job overall.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You could condition the job question as "I would prefer a full time job but I would be happy with a part time job." It sounds positive and shows a willingness to work along with flexibility.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People have sort of warned you off of restaurants but I don't know if that's the right way to think of it. I'm in the Bay Area, not New York, but anyone can get a restaurant job in 3 weeks, no question. What you do is write up a resume that emphasizes people skills and the ability to multi-task. Wear some nice clothes, and then go visit some restaurants between 2 and 4 PM. Tell them you're looking for a job, and ask to speak to a manager. The host will probably put you off ("They're not available right now ") and take your resume. Get the person's name who took your resume (shaking their hand and introducing yourself should do it).

After 4 days or so, call the restaurant to follow up about your resume (again, during the slow period of business). A week after you dropped off the resume, come back to the restaurant to check in in person. Bring an extra resume with you, and see if you can actually see a manager. If you don't get anything, call back in another 4 days, and come back to visit in another week etc.

If you do this with 10 or 15 restaurants you should definitely get a working interview where you can try out as a host or a busser or a food runner or a dishwasher. There's a lot of churn in restaurants, so the trick is to show up with a resume just when they need someone. Good luck man! I did this 3 years ago and got my first restaurant job as a host, and now I'm managing at a $4 million store. Just be persistent.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kenning posted:

people skills

I don't know if this will work.

Also, I've had exp working in a restaurant (family) and I just... doubt I can persuade anyone that I have good people skills unless it's online. FWIW, the last time I spoke to a person who I could vaguely refer to a as college friend was 4-5+ years ago. I'm more or less a recluse now that I'm living on my own other than groceries and chores.

Typically, I've been looking into IT work because a lot of service jobs (assuming I get a interview) I won't do well consistently. I figured now is a good time to pick a career I can tolerate and won't be extremely uncomfortable for myself and everyone else involved.

Yes, I'm being treated for social anxiety already. Some days I feel like there's a improvement.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Alder posted:

I don't know if this will work.

Also, I've had exp working in a restaurant (family) and I just... doubt I can persuade anyone that I have good people skills unless it's online. FWIW, the last time I spoke to a person who I could vaguely refer to a as college friend was 4-5+ years ago. I'm more or less a recluse now that I'm living on my own other than groceries and chores.

Typically, I've been looking into IT work because a lot of service jobs (assuming I get a interview) I won't do well consistently. I figured now is a good time to pick a career I can tolerate and won't be extremely uncomfortable for myself and everyone else involved.

Yes, I'm being treated for social anxiety already. Some days I feel like there's a improvement.

Get over it. I loving hate people generally and I worked as a busser. It's easy as poo poo and you get tips on top of salary.

Your people skills need to be "Can I get you something to drink?", or "Can I take that from you sir/maam?" with an empty plate. Sometimes not even that depending on the restaurant. There's not a lot of time to shoot the poo poo with colleagues either.

Basically the way I see it is you look for reasons for why you can't do something, instead of why you can. Guess what? No one is perfect for any job. Knock it off with this lovely poo poo excuse-laden worldview and watch things start to go your way a little more.

Or is being a host or busser too lowly for noble king unemployed Alder?

Edit: and I know I'm being harsh and you've made progress, but loving snap out of it. You are by far your own worst enemy right now.

WobblySausage fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 24, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Hating people is not the same as anxiety. Dude is taking care of it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you really can't abide people, dishwashing is actually a good move so you can at least start making *some* money. It's just you, a pressure sprayer, and endless piles of dishes.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Look for BOH stuff like prep and stuff too. It's really simple, you don't have to have any experience. My brother works BOH at a rib joint and hadn't cooked anything more complicated than Easy Mac when he started.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Kenning posted:

If you really can't abide people, dishwashing is actually a good move so you can at least start making *some* money. It's just you, a pressure sprayer, and endless piles of dishes.

And a commercial dishwasher that is so drat fast it will make your head spin. My first job was washing dishes and it worked out just fine. The rest of the kitchen crew spoke Spanish but it really didn't matter at all, just me and a pressure sprayer. If I was really sucking they'd just grab the sprayer out of my hand be like "NO, LIKE THIS, LIKE THIS." Once in a while I went out and grabbed the full bus tubs if it was a very busy night. Sure I went on to better things later but it was a step in the right direction. If you want some folksy wisdom, my dad always said "It's much easier to get a job when you already have a job."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Not Really a Update:

Eh, I just feel really restless the last few days. Mostly, I've been lurking/wandering around SA and other sites. Also, I'm slowly studying Comptia A+ using the All-In-One guide but progress is glacial.

I attempted to read some books but stopped mid-way and just can't really focus on anything.

Meantime, I want to say I sent out more resumes but it's starting to become a Sisyphean task considering the lack of replies. The only good news is that summer is finally over in NY and I can welcome fall soon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Any updates on your life? I, for one, am curious how it's all going several months on.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kenning posted:

Any updates on your life? I, for one, am curious how it's all going several months on.

Unfortunately, not much has changed as I cont my endless job search. Where do people even post IT jobs? Clearly, not on my college job board.

Certs cost $ which I don't have enough other than doing misc p/t work for living expenses. I picked up coding lessons on freecodebase.com so slowly working through those tasks.

Depression does seem to have improved over the last few months despite being broke and unemployed :buddy:

I spent most of the holidays reading books and other affordable hobbies. I hope 2016 is better than 2015.

btw: where do all the the other inexperienced 20-something people find jobs? No idea if I'm just doing it wrong or unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Alder posted:

Unfortunately, not much has changed as I cont my endless job search. Where do people even post IT jobs? Clearly, not on my college job board.

Certs cost $ which I don't have enough other than doing misc p/t work for living expenses. I picked up coding lessons on freecodebase.com so slowly working through those tasks.

Depression does seem to have improved over the last few months despite being broke and unemployed :buddy:

I spent most of the holidays reading books and other affordable hobbies. I hope 2016 is better than 2015.

btw: where do all the the other inexperienced 20-something people find jobs? No idea if I'm just doing it wrong or unlucky.

Indeed.com seems to be where a lot of people have success. Finding IT work while having to compete with half of India is pretty tough these days. I ended up having to change careers entirely after getting laid off from my programming job in 2010.

• Locked thread