Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Alright Alder let's kick this baby off. #1 job search tip is indeed.com, which is a great aggregator. Much better than craigslist or anything else for finding jobs by keywork and location. How's your resume look? There's a thread for resume critique here in BFC.

Is staying at your current place sustainable if you can find a job? Or is the rent too high? Is there any way to move in with your generous relatives if the two months runs out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
I don't mean "join" indeed, I mean search on it, daily. "Tech support" + "NYC" or "Customer Service" + "NYC" and see what kind of ideas come up. I did a quick search and it showed up like, UPS store. Maybe a warehouse job would be good if your health is ok. I wouldn't bother applying for waiter jobs, NYC is a saturated market there and has a much higher barrier to entry.

Here's a page with jobs that are specifically posted with Baruch students in mind (you'll have to log in to see the listings, which I assume you can still access) http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/careers/students/stu_job.html

Looks like the career center has walk-in hours too http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/careers/
Career centers are real hit or miss in terms of advice, but they might have some leads and basic info that can help.

That resume you posted is not at all what you want out there representing yourself. You have one solid position and decent skills, but it is all lost in a poorly organized, unspecific hodge podge. I'll do you an edit, or you can post in the resume thread, but in the meantime, google "resume template" and pick a nice clean layout that is for entry-level or skills-focused work, and start from that.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Things have gotten strange in the last week or so. Basically, I'm not sure if I can stay with family at all. I'm feeling stressed out as I haven't found a place to rent yet despite having a loan. Considering camping outside as the weather is better in the summer.

My job search is slow. I'm having trouble focusing on study materials due to recent events. I'm also worried about storing my remaining processions. I miss my cat.

You can do it Alder. One step at a time. Job, then apartment.

Sign up with all the temp agencies. Apply at box stores and for computer janitor positions. Having a job, any job, will get you in to a room faster. You can always quit it for something better.
Since you don't need to be near school anymore, expand your room search farther out, into NJ. If you're on a bus line instead of the subway it might be cheaper.

Here's the NYC social services page, if you want to look into youth shelters or jobs programs.
http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/categories/social-services.page

And the CUNY jobs page
http://www.cuny.edu/employment/student-jobs.html

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Thanks. I've signed up with all the nyc temp firms but no call-backs. The same with retailers and any local chain stores. Yeah, I'm going to move my items into storage and keep looking around. I have a meeting with Henry Street on Monday which provides neighborhood services too. Mostly feeling tired and discouraged by everything.
I know, jobs and apartments are a slog under the best of circumstances. Keep at it

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Congratulations on the room, that's a huge step. Keep us posted

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Great progress man, happy for you. Don't forget to go in and bother the career center people, so they'll know you and be on the hunt for something for you

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Thanks, I've been debating if I should stop by the career center or not as I'm not registered for any classes this semester. I've join their online STARR program (job board) but not sure if I should go to a walk-in or make a actual appointment.

I'd make an appointment so that you can monopolize their time, and send info about what you want them to help you with so they can prepare

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Monthly Update:

I found a temp job as a office clerk but they want a month long trial. I'm Ok but there was no discussion of wages during the intial meeting and I'm kinda confused. Mostly it costs of data-entry and misc tasks.

I wanted to mention it as I'm broke and could really use the money to pay off loans and fix my pc but thought it'd be awkward. Is this normal?
Make sure you're getting paid at least minimum wage. Don't do any month long trial work without your salary in writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Update

1. Wages weren't mentioned since it was a "trial" and I wouldn't be paid anyways.

2. It's not a office job but actually cold calling for recruitment for jobs to move to their NYC offices. So it'd be 5 days of calling random people from 9 to 5 for a month trial with zero sales exp :v:

Reminder to self: ask more questions next time

Back to the drawing board then
yuck, exploitative. Good for you to recognize and get out.

another thing to consider is transcription. can do hourly listening to audio and typing it out if you have good wpm.

• Locked thread