Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Update

1. Wages weren't mentioned since it was a "trial" and I wouldn't be paid anyways.

2. It's not a office job but actually cold calling for recruitment for jobs to move to their NYC offices. So it'd be 5 days of calling random people from 9 to 5 for a month trial with zero sales exp :v:

Reminder to self: ask more questions next time

Back to the drawing board then

welp

I don't remember if it's been mentioned but have you hit up your typical retail stores yet? I worked at the Best Buy in Rego Park for about a year and a half and it honestly wasn't all that bad. If you know anything about computers, Geek Squad they pays $12 and change per hour with fairly flexible schedules. It's basically a job that exists for college kids to make some beer and weed money while going to school. Turnover is pretty high too so I think you might have a shot. Can't argue with the pay either, that's the best you're going to find as a retail drone.

There's even a store in Flushing, and the Rego Park one is only a 30 minute train ride away. Rego Park is always hiring, they're one of the biggest stores, and they always need people.

e: And before it comes up, gently caress no you don't need an A+ to work there. I was the only one with one and I got the gently caress out to get a better job on the island. You have experience in both retail and IT so that's a huge boon right there. If you know how to back up and image a computer you're already light years ahead of most of the newbies who get dragged into Geek Squad.

If you need some extra encouragement to work for best buy, I grantee you lots of drunken parties and sex with coworkers no matter how goony you may be.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alder posted:

Yeah, I applied to a bunch of chain and retails stores a few months ago but I'll check out BB again. I wonder if it's worth sending my app to the temp agencies even though I didn't hear from them the 1st time around. I have a vague sense that I might get in trouble if I keep sending them in despite not getting any replies. Oh well.

A part of it feels like it's location problem as I'm in Flushing, Queens but I don't speak Chinese at all as a ABC. Initially here since my relatives are nearby and rent is relatively affordable and I can be OK w/o car for commuting. I'm getting some job search advice like walk down Main Street for Help Wanted signs but pretty sure I'm already doing that as I go to the library for internet :eng99:

Yeah, do it again, why not.

Most retail applications will make you do those stupid personality tests. If you don't answer the way they want you to, your application is immediately trashed and that store never even finds out you even applied. I have no idea how long, or even if, they keep a record of your application or if they do anything about it if you reapply, but it doesn't hurt to try. Remember when doing the tests to not answer honestly, but rather answer how they expect you to answer. You are an emotionless robot who cares only about the company and will not hesitate to throw your best friend into a blender if he steals a pack of gum.

The Rego Park place had a yearly in-store job fair starting around the holiday time looking for seasonal workers that let you skip the bullshit, too. Good seasonal workers were taken on as full time so it was a good way to get your foot in the door. I have no idea if, or when, they'll be doing that again though. Still, since we're approaching the holiday season, this is the time that they start looking for extra hands.

It's worth a shot and it doesn't take too long.

• Locked thread