Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People have sort of warned you off of restaurants but I don't know if that's the right way to think of it. I'm in the Bay Area, not New York, but anyone can get a restaurant job in 3 weeks, no question. What you do is write up a resume that emphasizes people skills and the ability to multi-task. Wear some nice clothes, and then go visit some restaurants between 2 and 4 PM. Tell them you're looking for a job, and ask to speak to a manager. The host will probably put you off ("They're not available right now ") and take your resume. Get the person's name who took your resume (shaking their hand and introducing yourself should do it).

After 4 days or so, call the restaurant to follow up about your resume (again, during the slow period of business). A week after you dropped off the resume, come back to the restaurant to check in in person. Bring an extra resume with you, and see if you can actually see a manager. If you don't get anything, call back in another 4 days, and come back to visit in another week etc.

If you do this with 10 or 15 restaurants you should definitely get a working interview where you can try out as a host or a busser or a food runner or a dishwasher. There's a lot of churn in restaurants, so the trick is to show up with a resume just when they need someone. Good luck man! I did this 3 years ago and got my first restaurant job as a host, and now I'm managing at a $4 million store. Just be persistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you really can't abide people, dishwashing is actually a good move so you can at least start making *some* money. It's just you, a pressure sprayer, and endless piles of dishes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Any updates on your life? I, for one, am curious how it's all going several months on.

• Locked thread