Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Can you post an anonymized version of your resume? We can help make it appealing and nice.

Have you applied to jobs on craiglist or places with "Hiring" signs? Wandered your neighborhood and taking a look?

If you're female and not terrified of children, I had very good luck as a young person with no qualifications working as a "college student nanny", taking care of people's kids after school. I also applied for a work study position that mitigated some of my student loans, which was nice. Dog walking was another couple bucks each month. I eventually leveraged the child care gig into working in residential care for teens which paid a few bucks above minimum wage, which was nice. Waiting tables worked well for my roommates at the time, though you get paid crappy when you start.

How are your people skills? As someone from a crazy strange pseudo-abusive home, I know I was feral as gently caress for a while - are you able to competently do front-facing jobs? Also, you might consider selling your soul to a call-center since that seems in line with your experience.

Are you not able to take out loans to cover your education, or are you scared they are mounting too high? Are you likely to need medical leave again? What are you pursuing a degree in? I know getting my AA at community college leveraged me from a babysitter to a "youth services worker", and that was enough for me to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
With the addendum that subsidized private loans are a better idea than private loans, which are murderous.

Are you considered an independent student, or are they counting your mother's income? At age 24 that defaults back to independent automatically and you will get more financial aid, but you can also usually apply to be an independent student at a younger age because of your individual circumstances (see estrangement, abuse).

$7k isn't a big deal, though it probably seems harrowing now. I think if you had to increase your loans this year to cover dorms and living expenses, you could get on your feet and do better in the coming year to take out smaller loans by working etc. Being a young person without experience in a big city is a bad position to be in when you don't know where your rent is going to come from for August.

If it comes to it, please let us know if you need help finding a youth shelter or services :( I am a government social worker in California, but I have good navigation skills for that arena regardless of locale. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Congrats, Alder! You're doing pretty well, bud.

moana posted:

Get a towel nice and damp and drape it over your naked bod at night.

This post made me feel uncomfortable :ohdear:

• Locked thread