Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

After bouncing around the various forums I figured I just should post here as I'm tired. I'm 23 years old and now looking for work in NYC/NY area.

History:

I grew up in Westchester County attended a boring school district from kindergarten to HS graduation 2009. I then went to Stony Brook University but I experienced depression so I took a medical leave for 1.5 years. Meantime I worked for my mother until I transferred to Baruch College (2011). I continued to struggle with my courses until I felt hopeless as college loans and my younger brother started college so I left Baruch (2014) as I figured he'd have a better chance than I did.

Family:

My father died when I was 16 (2007) and my mother is suing me. Currently, estranged from my younger brother and my extended family seems to be somewhat helpful but not really. My father's side has been estranged for the last 7-30 years and I've not seen them since my late father's funeral.

I would rather not contact my mother as she has been considerably abusive in the last few months/years and recent events have been traumatizing :v:

Work Exp:

I worked full-time 70-80 hours at my mother's business as Assistant Manager for 5 years. Most of my skills are customer service, receptionist, IT support, retail, and sales. Because it was a family business I was not paid and not allowed to quit under any circumstances. Also, I had no bank account at the time or any way to save money either way. She helped me pay for college and I lived at home until a few months ago.

General Info:

Stuff happened and I quit my job. The next day I was kicked out and a long series of tedious legal problems followed. I presumed my cat would be OK at home but a week ago found out my mother returned it to the shelter a month ago. Ideally, I'd like my cat to live with me but I can't due to my unstable housing situation so I accepted that it'd been adopted and I'd give up after calling the shelter.

Update: 7/29/15
Legal issues resolved for now.

Savings:

I have none. One of my friends loaned me enough money for rent for 1-2 months and I have applied to SNAP so I won't starve. I did manage to open a checking account but right now it's just holding onto rent money.

Housing

Currently living in Flushing, Queens as my relatives gave me enough money for rent 2 months but that will end at the end of June. Still searching for places to rent from $500-$600. It looks grim but here I am. I do have friends but all of them are online or don't live near me.

I decided to stay in NYC area as my relatives live here and I have no car. Not to mention I need to deal w/court dates and I have no idea where else to live as I lived in NY my entire life. Also, I'm not sure what else would I find in another place as I don't have a job, money, or connections elsewhere.

Job Search

Joined job search sites (SimplyHired, CL, Snagajob), college job board, LinkedIn, and went to career center. I have considered taking A+ certs for helpdesk jobs and slowly working through the textbook. Luckily, I have clothing and my PC so that'll help me.

Resume: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cmfqGXkblVZnlvRXBzMTdTb2c/edit?usp=docslist_api

College

Yes, I've notified my college wrt to everything happened. Unfortunately even with grants idk if I can afford to return as of now but speaking with advisors in search of additional resources.

Alder fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Alright Alder let's kick this baby off. #1 job search tip is indeed.com, which is a great aggregator. Much better than craigslist or anything else for finding jobs by keywork and location. How's your resume look? There's a thread for resume critique here in BFC.

Is staying at your current place sustainable if you can find a job? Or is the rent too high? Is there any way to move in with your generous relatives if the two months runs out?

1. Yes, I joined Indeed.com too. I have a resume but it's very empty as I re-write it each time I apply to a new job depending on the reqs.

2. Rent is too high.

I've asked my relatives if I could stay there but they all refused. TBH, they are extremely traditional/conservative people who don't believe in mental illness and domestic violence. I did have one aunt who brought me food every other week before SNAP kicked in.

The worst case scenario I will ask my grandparents but they live in a studio and I worry I might be stressing them out as it's a studio apt.

Mostly it's been difficult to find places to rent due to lack of job and I can't read/speak Chinese.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

Have you applied to jobs on craiglist or places with "Hiring" signs? Wandered your neighborhood and taking a look?

How are your people skills?

Resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rj_sV-eUGCHMEpj51ujyS3gvEf7jIfrc26z_N06NRRg/edit?usp=sharing

Cover Letter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14nFsoiaZos5uxIPtK5nUIvsCkbq69TI42n1KL88_NC0/edit?usp=sharing

I've walked around the area and applied via CL but so far I ran out of retail chains to apply. I did consider the whole print a resume and drop-off random locations but not really sure if anyone reads them before recycling.

People skills were not that great when I started out and now it's passable. Although, I do sometimes seem robotic/stiff during interviews. I've checked out the call center thread here but so far not sure how to find call center jobs in/around NY.

I've joined Care.com for pet sitting as I fear small children due to total of exp and zero references.

Mostly the latter as I already have $7,000 in loans which I need to repay someday. My degree is for Computer Info Systems and Minor in Info Systems.

Series DD Funding posted:

Why is your mom suing you?

Legal problems. Yes, it's weird and quite terrifying at the same time.

Foma posted:

Well you go freedom so that's good. I would look at moving to a low cost high employment area (Is that still North Dakota, Texas these days?). Go where the jobs are.

Err mostly how do I find a job in another state when I don't know anything about other states and lack marketable skills? And have no money.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I don't mean "join" indeed, I mean search on it, daily. "Tech support" + "NYC" or "Customer Service" + "NYC" and see what kind of ideas come up. I did a quick search and it showed up like, UPS store. Maybe a warehouse job would be good if your health is ok. I wouldn't bother applying for waiter jobs, NYC is a saturated market there and has a much higher barrier to entry.

That resume you posted is not at all what you want out there representing yourself. You have one solid position and decent skills, but it is all lost in a poorly organized, unspecific hodge podge. I'll do you an edit, or you can post in the resume thread, but in the meantime, google "resume template" and pick a nice clean layout that is for entry-level or skills-focused work, and start from that.

Revised resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JsH70ctiDQVRVUeIS8dWQbKnibmhsD3ji3i4cGYmE3Q/edit?usp=sharing

I've checked warehouse jobs but was worried since one of the requirements meant lifting up to 70 lb which I know I can't do on a good day.

I actually have exp related to service jobs as we owned our first business which was a restaurant but yeah the market for it in NYC is not that great in my area if I can only speak English here.

Alright added more saved searches to my email subs. Most of the time I've applied to helpdesk, IT support, office assistance, customer service and etc. I do try to stay away from jobs which require a BBA/degree unless they accept certifications.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mocking Bird posted:

With the addendum that subsidized private loans are a better idea than private loans, which are murderous.

Are you considered an independent student, or are they counting your mother's income? At age 24 that defaults back to independent automatically and you will get more financial aid, but you can also usually apply to be an independent student at a younger age because of your individual circumstances (see estrangement, abuse).

Yes, I'm declared independent in my FAFSA/fin aid so my overall amount is approx $5,400~ not including TAP. There may be some circumstances where I may need some info from parents as technically I turn 24 at Dec but that's kinda still in the Fall '15 semester. I've been to Fin Aid offices and they say I should be fine.

@resume: Thanks for advice along with being cross-posted to the resume thread and gotten helpful critique there too.

Alright, I've thought of doing telecommuting IT jobs but I've heard that it might be a challenge as I don't have tons of exp yet. Will check out linked threads too.

I'm thinking of posting this ad looking for roommates for July-August on college boards where textbooks/jobs are posted:

Wanted Quiet Roommates/Rooms:

- Budget $500-$600/Month

- At most 2 hr commute to Midtown/college campus

- I'm a 2nd year student and non-smoker/non-drinker with no pets.

- Ideally, near public transportation.

I think it sounds reasonable? I read a few CL/other ads for college roommates and this would be OK if I were looking to rent/find people. Then again, I've never done it so here goes nothing.

I have good credit but mostly concerned about income proof.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 12, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ashcans posted:

I don't want to get into E/N about your family here, but what exactly is your mother trying to sue you for? I think you want to be careful that you don't just avoid dealing with that and have it snowball out of control - if it turns into a default judgement because you never showed or responded, it only gets harder to deal with.

It's a bit more complicated as during the time I worked with her I had severe depression and more or less a blank personality slate. As I got better w/therapy & doctors I started to realize that a lot of situation I lived in was incredibly unhealthy and strange.

Yes, I do try to avoid posting about it online as I do have lawyer provided via Legal Aid and been attending court dates. Mostly, I've given up on this relationship as I feel like it's going downhill atm.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

Not sure if you're at all interested, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck.

Thanks, a few months ago I was learning how to set-up my blog/site from scratch and then use it for coding projects. Mostly 90% of what I learned were from tutorials but not sure if I can add it to "knowledge base."

And Python too. I asked a friend who works in the IT Industry and he mentioned, while it's possible to get a job via the self-taught route, most companies would rather hire people w/CS degrees just for the sake of consistency.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Time for a semi-weekly update:

As of now I can't afford to attend college as I'd need to work full-time for living expenses and still be a full-time student and that's just not going to work out well. I've spoken to Counseling and we decided that it would be a Bad Idea considering how stressed I am right now.

At a later time I can still return and complete my degree but it's back to job search for now. With the help of Interview/Resume thread I've revised my resume and still applying via Indeed.com.

I bought a CompTIA textbook and voucher for the exam which I plan to take in 1 month or so. I know it's 2x exams to be certified but it's a lot of money so I buy the 2nd voucher after I pass the first one. I'll continue to lurk in the Certs/IT Support threads to get a better idea of the work too.

Housing still ______? As extended family is keen in avoiding me and I may have to move in with grandparents once I explain the situation.

Meantime, I've thought about moving out-of-state to NJ even there I can't find places to rent w/my budget. I've been browsing CL and so far 90% scams and 10% idek.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

I haven't used this site but http://itpro.tv/ does 30 hours of free content a week if you watch live. There are also other certain shows they offer for free. I've sure they have basic A+ or CompTIA content. Maybe see what you can do for free first? Could give you a good start in the right direction.

Thanks, will check out the site later for study materials.

Ashcans posted:

Sorry to hear that you are putting school on hold, but it might be for the best until you can get your footing. I can only imagine that it would be really hard to get through your classes in the current situation.

As well as CL, make sure you are looking on alternative housing sites. Padmapper is a good start, because it aggregates listings from a bunch of places and does a decent job filtering out the most obvious scams.

Yes, I've checked Padmapper and punched in some local NJ towns but still out of my price range and/or landlords want a longer lease which is a challenge with no job atm.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

What about the room for rent option? Maybe that could hold you over.

Yes, still searching for rooms to rent but not at my relative's home as they don't have space.

Ashcans posted:

It's late to find one, but you might have luck with a summer sublet from a college student? That would cover you until the fall when you would hopefully be in a better situation to commit to a full lease.

I considered it but since Baruch is a dead end for resources I figured it'd be a bad idea to keep looking for places to rent if I can't really access the campus building.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

indigi posted:

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been posted, but I wanted to say I'm rooting for you. Godspeed.

Hmm--thanks appreciated :3:

In a odd situation as I still haven't found housing in my budget but I want to save the remaining loan money for my cont. job search.

The only real option is living with my grandparents in their small studio but I feel bad. Ok not as bad as being 100% homeless. Still. I've asked my 5 relatives if they could let me live in their closet but denied :v:

Life sucks.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

if you go with the grandparents do absolutely everything you can to make sure your footprint is tiny and do whatever you can to help them out for their generosity. At least then you'd have somewhere safe to crash while
you look for a different place to
live. Maybe stay out much as possible during the day too.

Just be really open with them about what's going on. I know if I was them my biggest worry would be you don't have concrete plans for moving on, and you seem to be fairly on the ball about that.

Good luck.

Alright, they're OK with me going outside but they will start to worry once it's after 7PM which can be a bit of a challenge. Although, the main problem is that it's under my mother's lease and our relatives contribute for the rent so I cannot stay there too long as she will come to harass me into leaving.

I've been calling NYC temp agencies and submitting resumes but so far it's been 1.5 weeks since I sent it out. I'm going to consider leaving the area soon and apply for HUD programs as I can't afford living expenses atm.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Things have gotten strange in the last week or so. Basically, I'm not sure if I can stay with family at all. I'm feeling stressed out as I haven't found a place to rent yet despite having a loan. Considering camping outside as the weather is better in the summer.

My job search is slow. I'm having trouble focusing on study materials due to recent events. I'm also worried about storing my remaining processions. I miss my cat.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

You can do it Alder. One step at a time. Job, then apartment.

Sign up with all the temp agencies. Apply at box stores and for computer janitor positions. Having a job, any job, will get you in to a room faster. You can always quit it for something better.
Since you don't need to be near school anymore, expand your room search farther out, into NJ. If you're on a bus line instead of the subway it might be cheaper.

Here's the NYC social services page, if you want to look into youth shelters or jobs programs.
http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/categories/social-services.page

And the CUNY jobs page
http://www.cuny.edu/employment/student-jobs.html

Thanks. I've signed up with all the nyc temp firms but no call-backs. The same with retailers and any local chain stores. Yeah, I'm going to move my items into storage and keep looking around. I have a meeting with Henry Street on Monday which provides neighborhood services too. Mostly feeling tired and discouraged by everything.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Alder, is your mom suing you, like, with a lawyer, or has she taken you to small claims court?

Have you looked into countersuing her for back pay?

Yes, I have but at this point I've trying to figure out how to stabilize my life. Also, that maybe I just can't fix the weirdness with my family despite everything I've tried.

Weekly Update

I managed to find a room to rent using my loans. I have a few messages for interviews and I feel better overall. Still planning on sending more apps and job search continues...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Willson posted:

Hey Alder, a customer support position just opened up in our tech startup near union square. My email is in my profile if you're interested, I could probably get you an interview.

Cheers, that sounds great. I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

Weekly Update

Meantime, I found a mini-job tutoring English a few hours a week. Yay, I can afford groceries again.

It's pretty hot in NYC too. I miss A/C...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

For as really creepy as it sounded, getting a light (thinner is better) cloth damp and then flapping it in the air will cool it dramatically due to evaporation - leaving one on you and running a fan will absolutely cool you down a ton, nice when it's hot and your AC is shot.

Alright will try it out soon. I'm not sure if I'm being a baby but nyc is a lot hotter/humid than the suburbs or that I'm just failing to deal with not having A/C atm. I have a borrowed fan but it feels like I'm waking up in a sauna each morning.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Monthly Update:

OP updated as I have resolved my legal problems last month and can finally stop stalking the Legal Megathread out of boredom. Wow, I don't envy their work/balance at all.

Rent: Paid

Job search continues at a snail's pace. I've decided to focus on my college hiring board instead of the job engines due to lack of replies over the past 2-3 months.

SNAP recertification is somewhat slow despite sending into appropriate paperwork.

New doctors/therapy which is always fun as I've fallen into depression a bit wrt to everything else going on in my life.

Family? Let's not talk about them.

I did get most of my stuff back which improved my book esp books and collections of stationery. Yes, I know.

Alder fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 18, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Great progress man, happy for you. Don't forget to go in and bother the career center people, so they'll know you and be on the hunt for something for you

Thanks, I've been debating if I should stop by the career center or not as I'm not registered for any classes this semester. I've join their online STARR program (job board) but not sure if I should go to a walk-in or make a actual appointment.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I'd make an appointment so that you can monopolize their time, and send info about what you want them to help you with so they can prepare

Alright, sounds good as I wasn't sure exactly what I should bring or discuss other than my limited resume.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Monthly Update:

I found a temp job as a office clerk but they want a month long trial. I'm Ok but there was no discussion of wages during the intial meeting and I'm kinda confused. Mostly it costs of data-entry and misc tasks.

I wanted to mention it as I'm broke and could really use the money to pay off loans and fix my pc but thought it'd be awkward. Is this normal?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Defenestration posted:

Make sure you're getting paid at least minimum wage. Don't do any month long trial work without your salary in writing.

Yes, it was weird but not sure how to bring it up other than I'm overly concerned with living expenses after 3 days.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Update

1. Wages weren't mentioned since it was a "trial" and I wouldn't be paid anyways.

2. It's not a office job but actually cold calling for recruitment for jobs to move to their NYC offices. So it'd be 5 days of calling random people from 9 to 5 for a month trial with zero sales exp :v:

Reminder to self: ask more questions next time

Back to the drawing board then

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Renegret posted:

welp

I don't remember if it's been mentioned but have you hit up your typical retail stores yet? I worked at the Best Buy in Rego Park for about a year and a half and it honestly wasn't all that bad. If you know anything about computers, Geek Squad they pays $12 and change per hour with fairly flexible schedules. It's basically a job that exists for college kids to make some beer and weed money while going to school. Turnover is pretty high too so I think you might have a shot. Can't argue with the pay either, that's the best you're going to find as a retail drone.

There's even a store in Flushing, and the Rego Park one is only a 30 minute train ride away. Rego Park is always hiring, they're one of the biggest stores, and they always need people.

Yeah, I applied to a bunch of chain and retails stores a few months ago but I'll check out BB again. I wonder if it's worth sending my app to the temp agencies even though I didn't hear from them the 1st time around. I have a vague sense that I might get in trouble if I keep sending them in despite not getting any replies. Oh well.

A part of it feels like it's location problem as I'm in Flushing, Queens but I don't speak Chinese at all as a ABC. Initially here since my relatives are nearby and rent is relatively affordable and I can be OK w/o car for commuting. I'm getting some job search advice like walk down Main Street for Help Wanted signs but pretty sure I'm already doing that as I go to the library for internet :eng99:

Defenestration posted:

yuck, exploitative. Good for you to recognize and get out.

another thing to consider is transcription. can do hourly listening to audio and typing it out if you have good wpm.

I did look into the Legit money making thread and tried a transcription sample but it drove me mad. However, I did find some simple jobs like online networks but not sure if I can making living filling out surveys for .5c depending on the day.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hmm out of curiosity how do I answer the question if I'm interested in returning back to school? I've been saying positives but not completely certain it's the correct answer.

"Yes, eventually?"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Devian666 posted:

The question could have various reasons behind it. Some jobs would want you to keep working and they won't want to train people only to have them leave months later. Others may be interested in on-going education (for most of your job applications probably not the case). You could answer that you would be interested in further education if it is job related and that would cover both reasons.

Alright, I'll try that the next time they ask tomorrow then. There's also the are you looking for p/t or full-time jobs too. Typically, I'll say both as I'm not certain if I'd be able to find a job overall.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kenning posted:

people skills

I don't know if this will work.

Also, I've had exp working in a restaurant (family) and I just... doubt I can persuade anyone that I have good people skills unless it's online. FWIW, the last time I spoke to a person who I could vaguely refer to a as college friend was 4-5+ years ago. I'm more or less a recluse now that I'm living on my own other than groceries and chores.

Typically, I've been looking into IT work because a lot of service jobs (assuming I get a interview) I won't do well consistently. I figured now is a good time to pick a career I can tolerate and won't be extremely uncomfortable for myself and everyone else involved.

Yes, I'm being treated for social anxiety already. Some days I feel like there's a improvement.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Not Really a Update:

Eh, I just feel really restless the last few days. Mostly, I've been lurking/wandering around SA and other sites. Also, I'm slowly studying Comptia A+ using the All-In-One guide but progress is glacial.

I attempted to read some books but stopped mid-way and just can't really focus on anything.

Meantime, I want to say I sent out more resumes but it's starting to become a Sisyphean task considering the lack of replies. The only good news is that summer is finally over in NY and I can welcome fall soon.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kenning posted:

Any updates on your life? I, for one, am curious how it's all going several months on.

Unfortunately, not much has changed as I cont my endless job search. Where do people even post IT jobs? Clearly, not on my college job board.

Certs cost $ which I don't have enough other than doing misc p/t work for living expenses. I picked up coding lessons on freecodebase.com so slowly working through those tasks.

Depression does seem to have improved over the last few months despite being broke and unemployed :buddy:

I spent most of the holidays reading books and other affordable hobbies. I hope 2016 is better than 2015.

btw: where do all the the other inexperienced 20-something people find jobs? No idea if I'm just doing it wrong or unlucky.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BloodBag posted:

Indeed.com seems to be where a lot of people have success. Finding IT work while having to compete with half of India is pretty tough these days. I ended up having to change careers entirely after getting laid off from my programming job in 2010.

Eh I'm a part of Indeed but after a few months and countless apps it's just really a ghost town for me. I did ask my a programmer friend on his thoughts wrt to outsourcing but they mentioned there's quite a few downsides like additional headaches when the team is in different time zones and all.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

Stack Overflow careers worked really well for me

Thanks, I checked it for NYC but since I started learning how to code 3 weeks ago I'm not sure if it's the best route for me atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm tired and tired and tired.

• Locked thread