Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hey Alder, thanks for posting this thread, I am really hoping that getting all your issues in one place maybe you can help get some traction on this. It seems pretty overwhelming, I'm sure.

n8r posted:

Get a job, any job so you can keep yourself fed/sheltered.

Longer term - get back into school - don't be afraids of loans, this is one of the few areas where loans are 100% the right choice. Try to live on the cheap, keep a part time job to help cover expenses, graduate and get a 'real' job.
I agree with this. Right not it sounds like you have funds to manage one, maybe two months of living. You need to get any kind of job you can right now. Obviously if you can get something that is in your field or that you think might last long-term that's great, but you aren't in a position to be too picky. If there are any temp companies in your area, sign up with those, sometimes they are crap but if they get you a week of work that's a week of work you don't have right now. If you can get some sort of footing you can begin to sort yourself out for school.

I don't want to get into E/N about your family here, but what exactly is your mother trying to sue you for? I think you want to be careful that you don't just avoid dealing with that and have it snowball out of control - if it turns into a default judgement because you never showed or responded, it only gets harder to deal with. You should look into legal aid services, whether that is through a school or some sort of clinic. It sounds like you would qualify for some sort of help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sorry to hear that you are putting school on hold, but it might be for the best until you can get your footing. I can only imagine that it would be really hard to get through your classes in the current situation.

As well as CL, make sure you are looking on alternative housing sites. Padmapper is a good start, because it aggregates listings from a bunch of places and does a decent job filtering out the most obvious scams.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's late to find one, but you might have luck with a summer sublet from a college student? That would cover you until the fall when you would hopefully be in a better situation to commit to a full lease.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, that's progress. Also good news on some interviews. Don't let up on sending applications though - once you get an interview or two it's easy to slack off and count on something coming through, but if it doesn't you want to have more things in the pipeline already. Don't lose hope if you bomb a couple of interviews or don't get followups, either, I think everyone has to churn through a few before something sticks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am really glad to hear that your legal problems are done. Hopefully that ended on a positive (or at least neutral) note for you, but the important thing is really that it's done and won't be hanging over your head while you deal with everything else. One step closer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Reapply to everything, especially retail/corporate or temp agencies. The worst possible thing that can happen is that your application gets rejected. It was already rejected once, so that is already where you stand. No one is going to care about it in any other way.

• Locked thread