Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Sir this is a Metal Gear thread
:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

That order again is 1, 2, 3, and Peace Walker.

close thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like Peace Walker, and MGS4 is as good as all the other ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People who say MGS4 has too many cutscenes...LOL. Get a grip

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I don't like Peace Walker, and MGS4 is as good as all the other ones.

im the opposite, i didnt like peace walker the first time i played though. i got really into it when i picked it up again a year later knowing about all the problems it had from being on psp

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i just ate a fruit salad and i found the blender after it couldve been a fruit smoothie but it is too late

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The MGS4 briefing cutscenes are incredible because they're like a half hour long and supply about as much information for a mission briefing as a one line summary but there's like 4 minute shots of snake smoking a cigarette and a girl cooking eggs and you can shake the remote to make on-screen female characters boobs jiggle. It's the closest we will ever get to what Andre Bazin would call "cinema pur" (pure cinema).

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

People who say MGS4 has too many cutscenes...LOL. Get a grip

This.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

The MGS4 briefing cutscenes are incredible because they're like a half hour long and supply about as much information for a mission briefing as a one line summary but there's like 4 minute shots of snake smoking a cigarette and a girl cooking eggs and you can shake the remote to make on-screen female characters boobs jiggle. It's the closest we will ever get to what Andre Bazin would call "cinema pur" (pure cinema).

i wish you could do more in them with metal gear mk 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The camera work in MGSV is the most insane stuff I've ever seen. The entire game in GZ is one shot, so if you play flawlessly the camera doesn't cut for like an hour straight. When cutscenes start the camera just floats out of your control and drifts into the scene, before it floats back into your control without a loading screen. Kojima is a genius.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh gently caress! I Can't believe I forgot to mention Ground Zeroes. OP, if you don't play Ground Zeroes after beating Peace Walker, you're a dumbass... I think it's even free right now on Playstation Gold.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

im going to try to play through 3 and peace walker again before phantom pain, and ground zeroes the night before

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kojima is a godlike visionary you only see once a century. Ice cubes that melt in real time on ps2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would suggest playing the MSX games for at least an hour or so. They're hard and I didn't finish them because they have some really dated design, but it's fascinating to see that the tone of the games barely changed over 25 years and like 6 platforms. Even on a MSX he was showing off extremely ridiculous stories

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

Kojima is a godlike visionary you only see once a century. Ice cubes that melt in real time on ps2

i hope when he leaves konami he still makes expensive as hell games instead of going to the kickstarter side so we can still see stupid poo poo like this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

MGS2 ran at 60fps in 2001 on a PS2.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I would suggest playing the MSX games for at least an hour or so. They're hard and I didn't finish them because they have some really dated design, but it's fascinating to see that the tone of the games barely changed over 25 years and like 6 platforms. Even on a MSX he was showing off extremely ridiculous stories

i was trying to play metal gear 2 recently because i heard it was easier and i was having such a hard time with it

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear 2 on MSX is so far ahead of its time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

i was trying to play metal gear 2 recently because i heard it was easier and i was having such a hard time with it

They're kinda assy to play, even moreso than MGS1, but it was cool that I saw Grey Fox in a tiny 8 bit sprite and the he showed up in MGS1 and started rambling about shadow mercenary governments

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe once the New Vegas simulplay wraps up we can kick off a Metal Gear simulplay in July. I would play all the metal gear games again

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

They're kinda assy to play, even moreso than MGS1, but it was cool that I saw Grey Fox in a tiny 8 bit sprite and the he showed up in MGS1 and started rambling about shadow mercenary governments

mgs1 is pretty easy ithought but ive played that one since i was 12 so i just run around snapping every single neck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

mgs1 is pretty easy ithought but ive played that one since i was 12 so i just run around snapping every single neck

I remember struggling with the controls of basically every MGS game when I first played them (2013) but on my recent second playthrough I flew through and barely died. Once you get used to it you get real comfortable trying out lots f items and stuff and it becomes fun to gently caress with the guards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sneaking up on a guard who's cranking off in the corner and snapping his neck ftw.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kojima correctly predicted the rise of PMCs

He predicted drones

He predicted the censorship of information, the NSA program, ect.

He predicted soldier genes

He predicted data locked guns

He is the only developer that makes you play the villain of the series each game while making you feel like the good guy

The final culmination of this, finding out Ocelot is truly the good guy at the end of MgS4 and finding out snake was a pawn of the Patriots, is the most epic story moment in gaming, and in fact all of writing in mans history, period.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I remember struggling with the controls of basically every MGS game when I first played them (2013) but on my recent second playthrough I flew through and barely died. Once you get used to it you get real comfortable trying out lots f items and stuff and it becomes fun to gently caress with the guards

i still have trouble when i first go back to mgs3 and i even played the original version without the camera

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Kojima correctly predicted the rise of PMCs

He predicted drones

He predicted the censorship of information, the NSA program, ect.

He predicted soldier genes

He predicted data locked guns

He is the only developer that makes you play the villain of the series each game while making you feel like the good guy

The final culmination of this, finding out Ocelot is truly the good guy at the end of MgS4 and finding out snake was a pawn of the Patriots, is the most epic story moment in gaming, and in fact all of writing in mans history, period.

Definitely. The realization like halfway through 4 that after 50+ hours of these games, Ocelot was actually the main character was fuckig crazy

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

:stonk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metal Gear 2 may be ahead of its time in the video game space, but playing MGS2 now is just loving insane, considering the script was probably written in like 1998/1999

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry for not have Playstation systems. I was a Nintendo kid

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Sorry for not have Playstation systems. I was a Nintendo kid

i traded in my snes and all my games (i still regret it, rip) for a psx and star wars: masters of teras kasi which was rear end, but one of the first things i played was an early mgs demo where it didnt even have the english acting yet and i thought it was epic

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metal Gear 2 may be ahead of its time in the video game space, but playing MGS2 now is just loving insane, considering the script was probably written in like 1998/1999

He's a visionary, and makes me wonder what MGS5 is gonna be like. Something tells me there is gonna be a twist so epic that nothing will ever compare again.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

He's a visionary, and makes me wonder what MGS5 is gonna be like. Something tells me there is gonna be a twist so epic that nothing will ever compare again.

im hoping for the last map to be a full on metal gear 1 remake where you play as solid snake and kill big boss at the end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I know deep down that there's going to be a part in the game where Solid Snake shows up and david hayter says Kept you waiting huh. I know it will happen and even so, when it does, I'm going to start crying.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I know deep down that there's going to be a part in the game where Solid Snake shows up and david hayter says Kept you waiting huh. I know it will happen and even so, when it does, I'm going to start crying.

This

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You will be building Outer Heaven and snake will come and kill you

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

he keeps saying he's not in it at all but i dont believe a word anyone associated with a metal gear game says

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

You will be building Outer Heaven and snake will come and kill you

Yeah. It's going to be so sick

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell they have hinted that the end of this game will lead into Metal Gear through the entire base invasion mechanic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The best part about playing all the Metal Gear games in a row all at once is the emotional pay off of the final boss fight in MGS4, the greatest boss fight in gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah the moment hayter started saying he wasnt in it and people got pissed that just confirmed that he is in fact in the game as solid snake again

• Locked thread