Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
OK really digging Laurie's character this year.
:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This loving show. Leaps and bounds better than last season. I hope we get about 3 more seasons with more mysteries, more craziness, more excellent cinematography like when Nora fainted.

Also, I think Kevin killed the girls, and Patti didn't want to tell him that. Maybe she worked with his 'other self' to make it look like they vanished. She didn't specifically say they departed.

Also, she only knows what he knows, so I doubt anything happened to the girls that Kevin didn't witness or cause.

I'm pretty sure that dude on the tower asking who Kevin's friend is is just realizing he's talking to someone in his head when Kevin's yelling "shut the gently caress up". I'm sure tower guy is familiar with that behaviour.

Echoing this, my wife gave up on season one since it was too muddled. I feel like I'm reaping the rewards of sticking with it since that season ended well and this season is killing it. Some random thoughts:

- The neighbor John gave me a Fahrenheit 451 vibe as the fireman who burns poo poo down.
- Loved how we saw Laurie wash her car a couple times before they reveal what she was doing.
- When Liv's character was screwing Tom Garvey I thought they were going to frame him for rape, really not sure what the hell that was all about.
- Holy Wayne part 2, he was really convincing, not sure if he was bluffing.
- Kevin waking up from a failed suicide attempt and the conversation with Patti were really powerful, like do I want to die that much and am not willing to admit it?
- Dude in the tower knows crazy when he sees it, like the poster I quoted noted.
- Looking forward to an episode or two from now when Nora wakes up being dragged by the handcuffs as Kevin takes her out on one of his sleepwalking jaunts.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

I'm really surprised that this is a grey area for some people. Unless the show is going to fake us all out later with this actually being real, it felt quite a bit like he and Laurie were purposely faking this so people would have something else to believe in after they've left the GR.

Maybe bluffing is the wrong word, not the Holy Wayne hug-power transfer so much as how much Tom veers from nihilistic, maybe the GR are right, to convincingly delivering the Holy Wayne solution. Isn't he going to wind up in the same self-loathing position but now fueled by being a fraud.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

zer0spunk posted:

No comments about the song from grease? I couldn't have been the only one listening to the lyrics and slowly realizing its this dark and serious cover of a frigging olivia newton john song, which cracked me up. "why do I know this song? Oh..Ohhh..uhh wha?"

I forgot all about that, man that was creepy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Tomahawk posted:

Is this the only show TVIV doesn't hate right now

I've been thinking of suggesting a new thread title (There ain't no miracles in this thread) but with all the love in this thread I don't want to jinx it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

onefish posted:

I also have a bug about not being into spy shows that has stopped me from checking out The Americans, but I do like really awesome FX shows, too, so... eventually.

I didn't watch the Americans just due to time constraints. Once I started watching them on demand I was hooked and binge-watched three seasons. It is a quality spy show, feels really period authentic (I was in my teens in the 80s so I may not the best judge), has some great personal drama and conflicts. One of those shows that leaves me playing it over in my head days afterwards. And not in that "is Glen dead" bullshit way. /Rant

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

joepinetree posted:

Nora didn't accept the departure at all. She has been terrified of it and feels guilty that she might have caused it by wishing them away, which is the entire reason she spends 3 million dollars to live in Jarden. Then not only does her next door neighbor disappear, but you have people, both credible (DSD) and not so credible (demon Azrael) saying that disappearances may actually be tied to certain individuals. That is why it is so important to her to prove that her neighbor didn't actually disappear. And in the process she realizes that Erika has internalized the guilt as well, that it might have been her wish. The result is Nora's speech, and Erika seeing through it. And the anger, both ways, is because it essentially confirms their worst fear, in their minds: that they caused the departures through their wishes.

Great summation. It seemed that she was catching some of the new questions as she was asking them and she was answering them for herself.

popejackson posted:

The last 10 minutes with Regina King and Carrie Coon was incredible acting. So sad that more people don't watch this show.

Even if they just filmed that scene from the side while they talked it would have been good, but the framing of their faces while they talked, the close ups, really captured the emotion of the scene. Loved it.

Also, the look Erika gave after throwing the rock was priceless, in my head it was "here's your loving rock back".

Edit: The Paypal thing when they were asking for donations was funny as well. Nora had to setup a Paypal account when she went to see Holy Wayne. Putting it in context of the whole show it was a painful reminder to Nora that it didn't work. That Holy Wayne's hugs may have helped temporarily but she is still in a lot of pain.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Why did Nora throw the rock to begin with? Was it out of anger over how John treated Matt?

I think this poster nailed it:

Toxxupation posted:

No, she was angry with the concept that her "safe place" (the idea that there's a place in the world that wasn't and can't be "touched" by the Departure and tragedy in general) was anything but

She doesn't care about John, not really. It's why she so aggressively confronted Erika at the end of the episode, it's why she was so nervous and angry with the scientist on her doorstep, it's why she had that whole subplot with the DSD guy. The idea the episode was underlining - and fairly obviously so - is that Nora and Erika are two sides of the same coin, dealing with the tragedy of loss and departures in vastly different ways. Nora's accepted the departure of her family with a sort of cynical fatalism - poo poo jsut happens, and she's not responsible for any of it, after torturing herself for a season trying to grasp the enormity of losing her family on October 14 - combined with a carefully constructed optimistic delusion that Miracle is exactly what it promises to be, a safe haven from misery. The disappearance of the three girls is a visible reminder that her delusion is a lie, so she reacts angrily, violently to it - throwing rocks through windows, stealing questionnaires, that whole showdown with Erika.

In contrast Erika's internalized the concept that her daughter has disappeared with a sort of hyper-realism - as her speech during the rally and showdown with Nora exemplified. She's willing to accept the reality that there's unexplained nonsense and that there's no rules when it comes to matters of faith and god, and more than anything that "There are no miracles in Miracle." Nora has been able to move past her own sense of loss by constructing a careful narrative that absolves her of any blame or responsibility, since the event lacks any real answers. In contrast Erika has moved in a more solipsistic, "The only truth is that there are no truths" manner, and that creates natural tension.

Matt's adventures last episode have little to nothing to do with why Nora and Erika are at a crossroads - it's a more philosophical, vaguer, and unclear version of Jack versus Locke.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Well, shittagoddamn, what the fuuuuuuuck. :stare:

Frackie Robinson posted:

Nobody's dead until they're dead, and sometimes not even then.

This is what I saw and I quickly closed the thread :ohdear:

Really speechless about the episode, will need to go rewatch sometime this week. Just continually getting blown away about how good this show is.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Poor Kevin, always waking up wondering WTF?

Edit: Pattie for president!

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 23, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Guy A. Person posted:

Holy crap, it's Neal.

Literally.

Edit: or maybe purgatory crap, not holy crap.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 23, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Trying to figure out the timeline here, I'm guessing that this trip to Miracle is Meg before she joined GR.

I thought maybe she was doing some infiltration for GR if this was present day.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 30, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Vortex Street posted:

Ohhhh you unholy bitch.

"The incident with the dogs"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Vortex Street posted:

Actually I meant the kids, but both suck.

Figured that, but loved that phrase, make me wonder what they did.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

The best episode ending.

Jesus loving crunchy christ.

How does this show keep doing it?!?

One episode left, looks epic!

Vortex Street posted:

Ahahahhaha I knew it. gently caress Meg.

This

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 30, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dog was like, f-this I'm not going into crazy town and took off across the bridge. Loved the episode, loved the season.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I'd say I Live Here Now, followed closely by International Assassin. The scene with John cleaning Kevin's wounds puts it over the top for me.

Hard to pick but I agree with your choices. Although the scene that got me was the Karaoke, but I'm clouded since my friend just died and I almost lost my poo poo when Kevin was singing "Homeward Bound".

On the subject of the Australia references in Off Ramp when Laurie was in the publisher's office he says "This wing nut in Australia says he went to the other side and can't die." Third season road trip for Kevin to see his dad and meet up with the wing nut and find out why he can't die either?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Rad Lieutenant posted:

This is good news that I am happy about and I will see you people next season for more posting about this good show

I'm looking forward to binge watching the first two seasons leading into season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I think Lindelof mentioned they want to incorporate Kevin Garvey Sr. into the season 3 storyline in a bigger way than he's been used so far. Looks like The Travelin' Garvey Shaman Show is hitting the road for Pep Pep's house!

First of all I might have had a brain-skip because I read that as Ken Griffey Sr. Not sure what a retired baseball player brings to the show but what the hell, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Second of all, he'll yeah! Can't wait for more weird aboriginal TV transmissions then a road trip.

• Locked thread