Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you in favor of the TPP?
Yes
No
N/A without more data
View Results

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Audit the Fed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thunder Moose posted:

I would like to hear D&D's thoughts on the bill: its possible merits, detriments, and progress (or lack thereof)

Maybe when it exists we can have a lively discussion on it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
China is specifically not a signatory of TPP but surprisingly that's not the most wrong part of that post.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I'm sure there's nothing at all to worry about an up or down vote with the GOP controlling both houses. Surely they'll stop it if it ends up being a massive giveaway to multinational corporations with nothing at all to benefit anyone else whatsoever :rolleyes:.

The chance of it failing is actually greater because it's an Obama thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rudatron posted:

No it isn't, because all the industries that wrote it are gonna whip them into line.

Which wouldn't happen in a Democratic controlled Congress?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RaySmuckles posted:

So, even without knowing what's specifically in the bill, an understanding of history tells me that when the government tries to put together an enormous international treaty, takes the advise of private interested parties while shunning public scrutiny, and promises economic prosperity for all, I should be skeptical if not immediately opposed to the agreement.

Which international treaties do you think were completely conducted in public?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RaySmuckles posted:

The one where the world begged your mom to get an abortion. Unfortunately, in the real world, you can't win them all.

But at least we knew.

Rude.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RaySmuckles posted:

None. This is a strawman argument. I never said that treaties "have ever or should ever be conducted completely in public."

You said this one shuns public scrutiny. Aren't all treaties at some point shunning public scrutiny?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RaySmuckles posted:

To varying degrees, yes. And your point is?

What makes you think this one shuns public scrutiny more than normal?

I assume it must, otherwise you wouldn't put it (shunning public scrutiny) as a reason for distrusting the treaty.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rudatron posted:

No no, it would happen. But 'OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA' is what the GOP sells to the base, they're smart enough to not oppose the hand that feeds them (hint: its not voters).

The incidents of the debt ceiling seem to dispute this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I think people are conflating two propositions here. The first is "treaties should be negotiated in secrecy." The second is "Congress should be limited to an up-or-down vote." The second doesn't necessarily follow from the first. Most every treaty the US has ever negotiated has been negotiated in secrecy, and then given to the Senate for approval. There was no "fast-track authority" in those cases - the Senate had the opportunity to debate and discuss the implications, and decide whether or not to approve the agreement. They could freely choose to weigh the costs and benefits of approving the agreement, versus the costs and benefits of demanding new terms and risking a collapse of negotiations. That wouldn't be present under fast-track. The point of fast-track is to constrain the Senate's authority (and ultimately the authority of the people they represent).

The purpose of fast-track from all reports I've seen is for the benefit of other governments, since the US has a precedent of establishing treaties and then not ratifying them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Here we have a treaty that was negotiated in secret, and presented to the Senate as a fait accompli. It was unable to pass in its original form, and because of that was defeated. If Wilson had been willing to allow amendments, the treaty could have passed. If he had included representatives of the Lodge bloc in the negotiations in the first place, they could have kept the negotiations secret while getting a deal they could support. But Wilson refused to do either of these things. Instead he insisted on strict secrecy in the negotiating process, and then an up-or-down vote on his preferred draft.

In conclusion, I quite agree with your post, and the Treaty of Versailles is an apt comparison!

fake edit: To extend the analogy further, the Treaty of Versailles was also substantively terrible. Although I will concede that the TPP is unlikely to produce another Hitler, so it's got that going for it.

Of course you're assuming the other countries would pass whatever the US would pass.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RaySmuckles posted:

Hey, maybe the US government was designed to keep us out of these kinds of agreements!

Like, a colony from an Empire littered with complex international agreements might have seen the damage these agreements can do and made it systematically challenging to get involved in them in the first place?

Oh, so you're an isolationist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RaySmuckles posted:

There's that straw man again.

Contributions, Computar Part, contributions.

What are your opinions?

N/A without more data

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

I guess I'm kind of stumped because when you look at the poll - most people are against the TPP. Yet, the only thing we know about it is a small sliver. How can people be against something that they have no idea about? Could it mean that confirmation bias is going to play heavily in any story about it?

Hmm, I can't think of another major piece of law proposed by President Obama that few people read or understood but was widely opposed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have a hard time understanding how Africans are going to be affected by a treaty that has no African countries involved, even as observers.

Probably the same way that generics are going to become repatented.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Obdicut posted:

how real are the environmental protections in the TPP?

Particularly, these two points:

Everything good will be edited out and everything bad will stay forever because most cynical = better than.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Caros posted:

Nope.

Sorry, maybe it is just me but I find the argument that the public isn't capable of handling discourse as deeply troubling. Despite your glibness the US republic is still a democratic system of government (Its why they have a party called the Democratic party for example!) and the idea that legislation needs to be secret because if it is open to the public the public will hate it seems so counter-intuitive to any sort of government by the people that it seems laughable on it's face.

How much do you agree with the phrase "Audit the Fed"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tekz posted:

Our leaders have definitely demonstrated that they'd never ever put the interests of their donors and the people who give them super high paying private sector jobs after leaving office over the good of the public and the country as a whole.

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about in this highly secretive Health Care Law.

Oh look, one minor change and I have a 5 year old post.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mange Mite posted:

Eight pages and you're all still fishmeching over this, the least important part of the subject

And yet it keeps getting brought up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It sounds like "corporate courts" is a massive scare tactic by ignorant people, similar to how CDNs were called "fast lanes to the internet" back during the net neutrality panic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tekz posted:

That does seem terrible because they're two of the few organizations interested in investigating and exposing the terrible poo poo US and US-aligned governments are doing.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure Russia Today will still exist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm guessing he's being somewhat sarcastic. As it stands now, U.S. Copyright law means that Mickey Mouse won't fall into fair use until about 30 years after the heat death of the universe.

Well, that post that LookingGodInTheEye quoted said nothing about economic benefits, just that the laws weren't out of the average, and that even Communist Sweden had Life + 70.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 10, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also no idea why Mexico's copyright term is life plus 100 years?

According to Wikipedia it was only extended to that in 2003 (pre-1994 it was Life + 50, 1994-2003 was Life + 75). Also very strange is that this also extends to government works. Unlike the US, they aren't Public Domain by default.

The really strange thing is that according to an article about TPP Mexico currently has IP laws ranging from 50-75 years after death, and TPP would extend them to 95 years. Either that's specifically referring to works created before 1994 and 2003 respectively, or it's a lie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

walgreenslatino posted:

In a complete and utter shock, the deal is almost exactly what was leaked months ago.

Doesn't sound like it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

Not if either Clinton or Sanders wins the election next year. Or if Wikipedia tries a blackout.

Oh no, the Wikimedia foundation might miss their annual scam drive

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There are no heightened restrictions for anyone in a developed nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

It's kind of creepy how TPP proponents are only concerned with what impacts the US in the bill. Status update: making the rest of the world as corporate-friendly as america is not a good thing.

It's kind of creepy how you didn't read a post that was trying to justify why Wikipedia would do a blackout (presumably to the English version).

• Locked thread