Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you in favor of the TPP?
Yes
No
N/A without more data
View Results

• Locked thread
Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
So the TPP has been a very hot (see: controversial) piece of legislation in the US - in large part due to the veil of secrecy around the bill ostensibly to protect trade interests. The deal is aimed at making it easier for MNCs/nations to do business with one another by circumventing/removing tariffs and other pieces of protectionist laws and regulations.

It has been suggested that this secrecy potentially plays against the American people as we cannot make an informed call to our representatives without more data.

As of today - 6/12/2015, the US House of Representatives has rejected the Obama Administration's plea to fast-track the legislation through Congress.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33114488

I would like to hear D&D's thoughts on the bill: its possible merits, detriments, and progress (or lack thereof)

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

VH4Ever posted:

I guess I'm instantly suspicious of any legislation that is so shrouded in secrecy a congressperson has to go to a secure location to read it and cannot take notes or document anything that's in the bill. And then you have both Obama and Boehner, who seemingly agree on nothing, both chiding the House today for voting no. It smells to high heaven, and it's the same big business establishment crony douchebags who all seem to want to pass it.

This has been my thought as well. I am not automatically opposed to more open trade - it can be an excellent tool to enrich all involved. However, secrecy on something this important to protect trade interests at the expense of informing the people who live in a supposed republic: I don't know, I am sure there is some cliche idiom that summarizes this point but essentially garnering a small benefit at a massive cost to the democratic process.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Broken Machine posted:

I am against it, largely for reasons already mentioned.

I saw this comic the other day, and I think it has a good overview of the topic, as well as the underlying economics of trade.

I'd repost it here but it's fairly long

http://economixcomix.com/home/tpp/

This is fantastic, thanks Broken Machine for this.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Boon posted:

almost no real data.

Crux of the issue.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
General statement but please keep the ad hominems out of the thread and stay on topic.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 14, 2015

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Kalman posted:

Lastly, shorter patent periods probably would not produce cheaper drugs - they would produce more expensive drugs during the patent period since the recoupment math changes.

It would herald the generic cheaper brand sooner at the cost of making the designer drug more expensive if I get what you are saying? (Honest question, I am pretty bad at comprehending this sort of thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Hal_2005 posted:

Seriously good thread.

All I got to bring to the chat tonight is Jeff Immelt and Charlie Rose. Which is on par with bringing 10 year old boxed red wine. Sorry

http://charlierose.com/watch/60576659

Not sure if Jeff brings any fresh insight but he tries to argue the pro-TPP at his paygrade.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/19/us-general-electric-exim-exclusive-idUSKBN0O42ER20150519

Direct all threadnaughts and hate to NBC.

Charlie Rose is always welcome viewing material, thanks.

• Locked thread