Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you in favor of the TPP?
Yes
No
N/A without more data
View Results

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I think the economic cost/benefit for the US is probably a net zero, all things considered. I think the only real benefit would be improving relations with countries like Vietnam and Malaysia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure "This agreement helps some corporations" is a sufficient reason to oppose it, since that argument applies to every free trade agreement ever made.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Maybe if drug companies could make a profit researching and producing drugs which primarily affect poor third world people instead of only drugs which primarily benefit rich first world people, we'd have a cure for malaria.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

And drug companies will continue to make drugs whether we sign the treaty or not, so all this "but HIV+ Botswanans will steal their profits :cry:" pearl-clutching is irrelevant.

Why would drug companies attempt to cure malaria, for instance, if all the countries with significant malaria infection will not protect their intellectual property?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sorry, how are people too poor to pay for drugs going to provide a profit motive to develop them in any case?

Like how does this work, does a patent trick Malaysian factory workers into revealing their stash of leprechaun gold and rare oriental spices or what.

Malaysian GDP/capita is around 11k / year which while poor by US standards still represents a substantial market for a Pharma company. Pharma companies might start attempting to treat diseases endemic to that population if they reasonably expect to recoup their research costs, and patent protections allow them to do so.

Your position seems to be "don't worry, Malaysia can keep free riding off medicines developed for the first world" which isn't terrible, as far as defenses of the status who go, but will never produce a malaria cure because malaria doesnt infect many in the first world. The only way to produce that cure is to incentivize drug companies to make one.

• Locked thread