Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you in favor of the TPP?
Yes
No
N/A without more data
View Results

• Locked thread
TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

I guess I'm instantly suspicious of any legislation that is so shrouded in secrecy a congressperson has to go to a secure location to read it and cannot take notes or document anything that's in the bill. And then you have both Obama and Boehner, who seemingly agree on nothing, both chiding the House today for voting no. It smells to high heaven, and it's the same big business establishment crony douchebags who all seem to want to pass it.

I agree with this in spirit, but the point is not to have 300 million people (or even the 535 elected representatives and senators) in on the negotiation. The reason you keep this out of the public eye is because you don't want the person you're negotiating with to know the red line you're not willing to go past. It's simple basic negotiating tactics.

If you walk into a pay negotiation and the offer is a low ball, you overshoot in the other direction. Then, eventually, both parties will settle on a mutually acceptable amount. It'd be silly to give up what your real amount was at the beginning of negotiations.

I swear to God, this country is outright dumb when it comes to concepts like finesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread